PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 22:02 

Waggling. Who'd have thought it?

Post subject: Re: Games You'd Forgotten About, but then Remembered Not to
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:35 

23 months on Dead Rising!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:36 
UltraMod

That's going to beat anything I've done, as I've only had my 360 for 11 months. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:02 
Not to be confused with elbow

Leisuresuit Larry (think I got the name right) can't find the game anywhere and I looked all last night! I love that game :)

Won't matter now though as PS2 has gone to the Sony store in the sky *muffled sob*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:15 

Wait, the NEW Leisure Suit Larry? We've found the one person that liked it.

That's pretty much heresy in gaming form, The first 4 or so? Classics.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:19 

Dudley wrote:
Wait, the NEW Leisure Suit Larry? We've found the one person that liked it.

That's pretty much heresy in gaming form, The first 4 or so? Classics.

Um...>.< I'm not sure which one it is. I'd be able to say if I could pissing find it. It's the only one I've played-I had NO idea there were more?! *Feels a little inferior* it's the one where there's a raving manic woman that you get to make sexy time with that is in love with a mascot? Know which one I mean? You get a cookie if you do-chocolate chip aswell!

Oh oh! Brainwave :bulb: Cum laude or something is springing to mind?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:25 

*shudder*.

Yes, that's the new one, that didn't involve the original creator.

Those of us older than we'll admit will remember this instead...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:31 
UltraMod

LLLLL is the best, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:31 

There've been about 6 (possibly more) Leisure Suit Larry games, Shin. Magna Cum Laude was fucking awful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:35 

GazChap wrote:
There've been about 6 (possibly more) Leisure Suit Larry games, Shin. Magna Cum Laude was fucking awful.

'Shin' now is it? What've I done then? ;p haha

Hey! Don't be giving me grief, I've only played bloody one haven't I? I didn't know there were more out there. I think it's a decent game anyway if you're bored on a sunday or something, whack it on *cringes at her use of the word whack* and run around trying to bone people-genius!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:37 
Honey Boo Boo

Let's use the power of memory!

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Leisure Suit Larry 2 (on a tropical island, before it got all developed in the third one)
Leisure Larry 3: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals.
Leisure Suit Larry 5
Leisure Suit Larry 6 (love for sail?)

Unfortunately, the games degenerated from a humorous look at 80s promiscuity to pubescent sex jokes (wow, bewbs!!!111). And for some reason Larry turned from a normal human to a cartoonish dwarf with a giant head and a nose transplant from Bob Hope.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:39 

I suspect it may have been a better game if you hadn't played the 6 previous games (confusingly numbered 1,2,3,5,6 and 7) and weren't annoyed the dumped the guy who created them.

You'd probably like the originals Shin, assuming you take into account they're up to 20 years old now.

Also Metal, love for sail was number 7 I think. 5 was "Passionate Patty does a little undercover work".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:41 

Dudley wrote:
I suspect it may have been a better game if you hadn't played the 6 previous games (confusingly numbered 1,2,3,5,6 and 7) and weren't annoyed the dumped the guy who created them.

You'd probably like the originals Shin, assuming you take into account they're up to 20 years old now.

Also Metal, love for sail was number 7 I think. 5 was "Passionate Patty does a little undercover work".

20 years?! Whew, you guys are old j/k ^.^ hehe! I may investigate the used games store this weekend then as I did enjoy Cum Laude-in my defence it's the only one I've played!! Which is the best?? Or should I just start from 1?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:43 
UltraMod

As I said, LLLLL is the best, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:48 

So, we're having a discussion about which Leisure Suit Larry game was best? I know it's been quiet recently, but has it really come to this?
All I remember about the second one was going miles through it only to discover I needed something I should have picked up at the start of the game.
Sierra adventure games were utter shit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:49 

Shin wrote:
Dudley wrote:

20 years?! Whew, you guys are old j/k ^.^ hehe! I may investigate the used games store this weekend then as I did enjoy Cum Laude-in my defence it's the only one I've played!! Which is the best?? Or should I just start from 1?

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3337462 ... Collection)&source=5063&engine=froogle_videogames&keyword=Leisure+Suit+Larry+Collection+(Classic+Collection)+(PC)

EDIT : You'll have to copy paste that.

Joans wrote:
I was shit at Sierra adventure games.

FTFY.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:52 

You know what, I can't argue with that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 15:05 

I also want a Nintendo 64 again, I swear I had one but it may have got lost when I moved to Shropshire (5 years ago or so?) I've forgotten whether I can get Mario Kart on other consoles?? I used to love playing that and Banjo and Kazooey!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 15:07 

You can get Mario Kart for the Wii, both in the original Nintendo 64 version and the new "Mario Kart Wii" version. You can also get it for the DS, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 15:09 
UltraMod

You know you two aren't going to have anything to talk about tonight if you carry on in this manner?

*cue jokes about not having time to talk*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 15:12 

GazChap wrote:
You can get Mario Kart for the Wii, both in the original Nintendo 64 version and the new "Mario Kart Wii" version. You can also get it for the DS, of course.

Sweetheart...are you forum stalking me?! I HATE the wii, I won't spend money on that and I don't want it for the DS even though I have one. I want it on a TV, not a piddly little screen. *Throws a temper tantrum* I can't believe they got me a DS Lite, does no-one listen? I wanted a PSP!! I realise I sounded like a brat then but when someone says 'what would you like for your 22nd?' and you actually manage to think of something you want as you have never really asked for anything specific and they don't get it you, it annoys the fuck out of you!

Myp-I don't see Gaz every night and we rarely speak anyway, we hate each other ;p

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 15:16 

What you need is a SNES.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:42 
Honey Boo Boo

No, he's right, they were. Examples of needing an item you had no indication you should have picked up earlier:

Space Quest 2, the Labion Terror Beast whistle. You needed the order form from your locker (on the second screen in!) to put into the mailbox (on the tenth screen) to obtain the whistle. Otherwise, a large number of hours, several very difficult insta-death sequences later, you'd come across a rock that you couldn't get past. You needed to blow the whistle to summon the Taz-esque beast who'd grind through it.

Codename Iceman, the microfilm. In order to get this, you needed to pull the girl in the hotel bar at the beginning. The following day, after you've had the holy trinity off her, you needed to spot the ONE PIXEL flashing on the ground that was her dropped earring. Which contains a microfilm. Which later on you were able to read with a microfilm reader to obtain part of a vital combination to a briefcase or safe or something.

Codename Iceman, the ID card. When you visit the Pentagon, an overzealous security guard takes your ID card off you. When you leave the briefing, you need to remember to ask for it back. You also need to remember to check it, as he accidentally gives you the wrong one. And naturally, several hours of play later you'll need to insert the card into something to access some crucial info.

Codename Iceman, cycling the weapons equipment. You are given ONE chance to explore the sub before the story takes over and puts you into battle. During this time, you need to visit the torpedo room and 'cycle the equipment'. This causes the utterly ridiculous automatic weapon loading equipment to break (a large claw places a torpedo or missile atop a conveyor belt, which then rolls it into the tube) and you need to dredge up all your memories of metal shop class to make accurate measurements and use the various power tools in the sub's huge machine shop to make a new cylinder and cotter pin to repair the conveyor belt. As otherwise, when you encounter the Russian destroyer, you try to fire your weapons and THEN the equipment breaks, and you die.

Codename Iceman, the diver. You have a diving vehicle (you wear scuba equipment, and it propels you). Unless you think to test it before leaving the sub on your secret mission (and, in all honesty, the episode with the weapons system should have warned you) you'll not notice the vibration until you're out at sea, and the propellor falls off.

Police Quest, the nightstick. Unless you think to look around your car and realize that your department keeps the nightstick with the patrol car, in a holder on the door, you'll get kicked in by the bikers in the biker bar as you have no means of defending yourself (your gun isn't allowed as a solution)

Police Quest 2, resighting your gun. During the siege on the motel, you are nearly killed by a boobytrapped door. Jumping out of the way, you whack your gun on the wall and knock the sight out of alignment (you needed to have painstakingly sighted the gun earlier in the game or you'd be killed in a gun battle). You need to realize the gun's sights are off and go resight them before going to the airport for your flight to Steelton. Otherwise, when the Ey-rab hijackers take over, you won't be able to shoot them dead (even though they're three feet away).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:45 
UltraMod

The Adventures of Maddog Williams was good though, right???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:57 

MetalAngel wrote:
No, he's right, they were. Examples of needing an item you had no indication you should have picked up earlier:

I wasn't saying he was wrong :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 18:22 
Honey Boo Boo

Bah!

I remember the fury of Police Quest 2 having to do all the forensic stuff with a fucking parser, not to mention the fact that your field kit was too big to carry with you so you had to take it in and out of the trunk at every location. Which was OPEN TRUNK, GET KIT, CLOSE TRUNK. No wonder I can type so bloody fast... in the old AGI Sierra adventures, the game didn't even pause while you were typing. In fact, the last bit of Space Quest 2 was almost a test of how fast you could type as if you were lucky you could get into the escape pod before the robot killed you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 21:39 

Joans wrote:
Well, they certainly aren't as fondly remembered as the Lucasarts point and click adventures, are they? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 21:44 

Anonymous X wrote:
Joans wrote:
Well, they certainly aren't as fondly remembered as the Lucasarts point and click adventures, are they? ;)

No, I don't think they are. Or are they?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 22:16 

FIXED MY PS2!! AND found time splitters, no LSL though yet. I think that may be in the attic aswell...ugh...

Time Splitters, the first game my mother (who is nearly 60) played with me and my younger sister. She just went round and round in circles and proved easy to kill. Also she gave Calamari the squid his new nickname of 'Spunky,' which is rather disturbing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 22:22 

I played a lot of them a long time before I saw a lucasarts game and completely Space quest 2/3, the first three LLs, Police Quest 2 and several King's Quests with my dad around the ages of 10-15.

So yeah, I remember them more fondly because I didn't really discover the LucasARTS games till after this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 22:36 

I was a latecomer to the PC scene, so my first experience of all things graphical-adventure related was on the amiga.
After playing Secret of Monkey Island, the early Sierra games didn't compare too favourably.

If memory serves me right, the early sierra games were just straight ports of the pc games and so they looked like total shit (not that I have a problem with that, but guiding stick men around the screen and typing stuff in was something I'd tried to leave behind by then) and then suddenly the PC overtook the amiga in capability and you were left with shoddy ports.

A quick look on the ScummVM page shows that it runs a lot of the old sierra games as well, but, unlike the lucasarts stuff, they're not something I want to relive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 23:37 

Joans wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:
Joans wrote:

No, I don't think they are. Or are they?
Not that I have ever been able to tell. Although it's possible that a pocket of retrogamers across the Atlantic might. Sadly.

Changing the topic slightly, anyone know which was the first point'n'click adventure?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:10 
UltraMod

Wasn't it Maniac Mansion? Might have been Day of the Tentacle.

I'm barking up the wrong tree, aren't I? I bet it's not even LucasArts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 

It depends how point and click is point and click.

You can complete Maniac Mansion without ever touching a mouse I believe, but it's an option in Sierra games older than that...

But whatever it is, it's got to be older than both I'd imagine.

King's Quest 1 I'm pretty certain allowed you to move with a mouse (but still type actions), and that's 1984.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:54 

Day of the Tentacle was the follow up to Maniac Mansion, so it would be MM if it's either of those 2.
Maniac Mansion is so old it came out on the C64 (although I'm pretty sure you needed a disk drive to play it).

Some of the earlier Sierra stuff probably pre-dates it, but they weren't really true point-and-click at the time.

Wikipedia says Deja-Vu

Edit - Dudley, I personally would define point and click as being that you could play the whole game with the mouse, so the games where you still had to type stuff don't really count.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:56 

Like I say, you don't NEED a mouse for MM. Regardless it was 1987.

Deja-Vu seems to win as the first one completable entirely with a mouse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:05 
UltraMod

I know that DotT was the follow-up to MM, but I couldn't remember if MM was point and click or not...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:50 

T'was.

Although LucasARTS made Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Loom , 2 Indy games and 2 Monkey Island games between MM and DOTT so it's REALLY not that :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:00 
UltraMod

Was DOTT after the first two MI games? Blimey.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:10 

By a considerably long way, I'd have said.

Edit - wiki says
MI - 1990
MI2 - 1991
DOTT - 1993

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:15 
UltraMod

For some reason I thought it was before. I have no idea why.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:20 

They even made Fate of Atlantis between MI2 and DOTT.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:42 
UltraMod

ALL RIGHT, ENOUGH.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 

They probably had a cup of tea between them too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:19 
Time Out for Fun

Dudley wrote:
They probably had a cup of tea between them too.

They did, it took them a while aswell because they tried to make it with a rubber chicken.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:45 
Comfortably Dumb

I had the LSL boxed set thing for the PC a few years back and the remake of the first one is good and I think it was 5 or 6. Once they'd changed the games so that they were more like the Lucasarts ones and you couldn't get stuck, they were far more fun to play. On LSL2 I got as far as the cruise ship before realising I was missing an important item and just stopped playing it there. Unfortunately I let someone borrow the LSL games and I never saw them again. I'd have chased them up on it if I'd remembered who it was who'd actually borrowed it.

That Police Quest stuff with realigning the gun was tedious. 'He's right in front of me. I don't need the bloody sights aligned to hit him!' PQ4 (I think - one with the digitised graphics and starts by finding a couple of bodies in an alley) was good till I got utterly stuck on it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 16:28 

Joans wrote:
Wikipedia says Deja-Vu

Shadowgate! I had that on the Amiga. It was rather tedious.

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next