Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tv Issues again
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 18:41 
Excellent Member

OK

So, my TV finally fixed apparently, new power supply, updated software, and fixed signal attenuator. Great. However, now, HDMI doesnt allow sound from my Xbox 360.

Sound works over component.

anyone have any ideas? a breif google finds some others in the same situation, but no fixes really.
I'm stumped (and grumpy as hell :( )

Post subject: Re: Tv Issues again
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 19:00 
Excellent Member

When I go to resolution disply in the Xbox dashboard, instead of what used to be there (1080p, 1080i, 720p etc) there is now a list of PC related resolutions from 640 bla bla up to 1080

WTF IS GOING ON AAARGH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 19:01 
Excellent Member

LaceSensor wrote:
OK

So, my TV finally fixed apparently, new power supply, updated software, and fixed signal attenuator. Great. However, now, HDMI doesnt allow sound from my Xbox 360.

Sound works over component.

anyone have any ideas? a breif google finds some others in the same situation, but no fixes really.
I'm stumped (and grumpy as hell :( )

Do you have any other HDMI devices you can test to see if it's the tv or the 360? Did the 360 work with sound over HDMI prior to it being fixed?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 19:09 
Sitting balls-back folder

Does it have one of those pin-accessible reset buttons on it anywhere? Sounds like it's reverted to DVI.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:50 
Excellent Member

Definitely worked fully over HDMI for 6 months prior to today, sound picure and all, at all resolutions usually choosable in the dashboard.

Will have a look for a resettable thingy - would that be on the TV or the xbox 360?

When I go to the display options with Component cables it shows "HDTV Settings", it shows 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. This is normal. This is ALSO what it used to show with my HDMI hookup.

Now with HDMI is shows a "resolutions" setting, with a list of PC type screen reso's.

Dont have any other HDMI devices unfortunately.

Does seem that it is now recognising the xbox360 as a DVI connection, when connected via HDMI.

Some info I might have omitted - mine is a newer 360 with the HDMI plug, Im not using a Madcatz coverter (or similar). It worked totally fine before, and its only since today when the engineer changed parts and re-flashed the firmware on the TV.

There is an option in the TV menu to revert to factory settings.
Worth having a pop at that?

Thanks for advice so far

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:51 
Gogmagog

Swap the speaker cables over, you might have them in the wrong way around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:52 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:

Sorry?

I dont use other speakers. Just the TV and the 360.
It used to submit sound over the HDMi, now it doesnt, and doesnt allow me to set "TV" type resolutions via dashboard, moreso computer style "resolutions"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 21:00 
Gogmagog

LaceSensor wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Sorry?

I dont use other speakers. Just the TV and the 360.
It used to submit sound over the HDMi, now it doesnt, and doesnt allow me to set "TV" type resolutions via dashboard, moreso computer style "resolutions"

Make sure the white plug is in white hole and red plug in red hole. It might work.

Xbox got shitty with me after I buggared up the component video plugs in the TV.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 21:22 

Mali, he's using a HDMI cable, there are no red & white plugs, it's an all in one thing.

Lace, what tv is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 21:24 
Excellent Member

Joans wrote:
Mali, he's using a HDMI cable, there are no red & white plugs, it's an all in one thing.

Lace, what tv is it?

Yes, MaliA it works FINE with component, sound and all. Just now there is no sound with HDMI and the dashboard reads like it thinks im connected via DVI

Joans, its a LG 32LT75 HD ready TV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 21:28 

Ok, first things first. It's got 2 HDMI ports, right? Have you tried both of them?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 21:52 
Excellent Member

Definitely sounds (no pun intended) like a problem with the tv/cable and not the xbox. Im not sure of the history, why you had to get the tv fixed etc, but what you are describing is exactly what happens when I plug my xbox into my pc monitor.

Is it possible to try another lead? If not, I'd be tempted to ring the guys who fixed your tv and find out what the hell is going on. (they should know)

edit: you are using a HDMI to HDMI cable right? and not a HDMI to DVI? I know its pretty obvious, but I just wanted to check

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 0:24 
Excellent Member

Tried both HDMI ports
Havent changed anything myself

Yes its a HdMI TO HDMI cable, worked since I got my Xbox.
I think its the firmware update.

Alternatively I can try a new cable I spose, Im loathed to buy another tho.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:35 
Excellent Member

Possibly the cable. Have you checked all the menu options? I'm trying to find some kind of documentation for your tv but being at work doesn't really help.

Is there an option to update the firmware on your tv? Most do it automatically but it may be worth a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:11 
Excellent Member

Mr_Grinch wrote:
Possibly the cable. Have you checked all the menu options? I'm trying to find some kind of documentation for your tv but being at work doesn't really help.

Is there an option to update the firmware on your tv? Most do it automatically but it may be worth a shot.

The engineer apparently DID reflash the firmware, but I wasnt at home when he called, Gf was.
There is an option to turn software update "on" but that doesnt Force an update, it just seems to be a "we'll ask you when one becomes available if you wish to DL it."

Im pretty sure its not a x360 issue at all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 

I had a brief look at that last night (well, I tried to, is there anything this tv doesn't have built in to it?). The only thing I could find was that there's a tv speaker on/off setting (page 88).
It would seem pretty stupid that this would default to off, but it could be input specific, so you wouldn't think of it if you got sound ok on the other inputs.

I originally didn't read your first post properly and thought you'd just got your 360 back, which would have made more sense. I don't know too much about HDMI, but for some reason it seems to be being picked up as DVI, hence you getting no sound and a range of resolutions on your 360.

I'm all out of ideas, can you get hold of another 360 (or any HDMI device) to try with your tv, do you know anyone else with an HDMI tv that you can test your 360 on?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Make sure the white plug is in white hole and red plug in red hole. It might work.

Xbox got shitty with me after I buggared up the component video plugs in the TV.

I think that was just bad luck - having the cables backward wouldn't make any difference at all (except your stereo channels would be swapper).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:01 

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I think that was just bad luck - having the cables backward wouldn't make any difference at all (except your stereo channels would be swapper).

Unless you get the 2 red plugs mixed up. Whose idea was that? Although I think the Green one is sync, so you'd still get a picture just a funny coloured one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:16 
Excellent Member

Joans wrote:
I had a brief look at that last night (well, I tried to, is there anything this tv doesn't have built in to it?). The only thing I could find was that there's a tv speaker on/off setting (page 88).
It would seem pretty stupid that this would default to off, but it could be input specific, so you wouldn't think of it if you got sound ok on the other inputs.

I originally didn't read your first post properly and thought you'd just got your 360 back, which would have made more sense. I don't know too much about HDMI, but for some reason it seems to be being picked up as DVI, hence you getting no sound and a range of resolutions on your 360.

I'm all out of ideas, can you get hold of another 360 (or any HDMI device) to try with your tv, do you know anyone else with an HDMI tv that you can test your 360 on?

Yeah I beleive the TV is picking up the HDMI input as DVI.
The only thing that has changed is the engineer updating software (at the same time he changed over some sort of PSU in the back of the TV, as this is the fault my tv had).

Tech people have rang my GF today and are getting someone out to revert the software / change the firmware version again to fix the issue. Well, it better do, or im buying a new TV as I have had a gutful of this one :'(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 17:54 
Sitting balls-back folder

Make sure to unplug and hide the 360's network cable so the next guy doesn't go away filing a report of "there was probably an online update on the 360 that broke it".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 18:34 
Excellent Member

The guy is a decent chap. this will be his 3rd visit now...

I have wireless anyway.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]