Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: Beijing olympics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

http://www.theage.com.au/world/fears-of-a-nofun-olympics-in-beijing-20080718-3hkb.html

Quote:
FEARS of a "no fun Olympics" are growing as security restrictions increase and become more bizarre with less than 20 days to go until the opening ceremony.

Beijing police have been visiting bar owners in the popular Sanlitun area and asking them to sign pledges agreeing to not serve black people or Mongolians and ban activities including dancing.

Bar owners said that police have been clamping down on black people and Mongolians, who are sometimes implicated in drug dealing and prostitution, as part of an Olympic clean-up campaign that they and locals fear will make for a secure but sterile Games.

Maggies, Beijing's most notorious expatriate bar, referred to as the "Mongolian embassy" because of its popularity with Mongolian prostitutes and Western men, was shut suddenly about two months ago after a reported murder.

The gay bar Destination has also been ordered to shut down its dance bar until further notice.

And in a separate move, the Ministry of Public Security announced at the start of the month that from October 1, discos, karaoke bars and other entertainment venues must install transparent partitions in previously private rooms, and ensure staff dress more modestly as part of an effort to crack down on prostitution and drugs.

The Minister of Culture announced on Thursday that all overseas entertainers who have ever attended activities that "threaten national sovereignty" will be banned. This follows an outburst by Icelandic singer Bjork at a Shanghai concert on March 2, which sparked an official investigation.

Bjork shouted out, "Tibet, Tibet," after performing her song Declare Independence.

A notice on the Ministry's website on Thursday said that entertainers who "threaten national unity", "whip up ethnic hatred", "violate religious policy or cultural norms" or "advocate obscenity or feudalism and superstition" will be banned. "Feudalism and superstition" are often code words used by the Chinese Government to refer to Tibetans loyal to the Dalai Lama. The move follows the detention of several prominent Tibetan singers.

Beijing CBD businesses are reporting increasingly bizarre restrictions on couriers. This includes a ban on transporting CD-ROMs through the city, and mobile phones or GPS devices can only be sent if their batteries are delivered separately. This is on top of postal restrictions on sending liquids and powders.

At least six big bars and restaurants inside the Beijing Workers' Stadium compound - where Olympic soccer matches will be held - have been ordered to shut ahead of the Olympics and during Games time.

Hundreds of armed checkpoints on the main roads coming into Beijing were introduced two weeks ago, and non-Beijing-registered vehicles have been banned until after the Olympics, a move that is causing massive delays and extra costs for businesses.

All this and a city so polluted that people wear face masks to walk to the shops for groceries? Why on earth did the IOC ever choose Beijing as an olympic site?

Post subject: Re: Beijing olympics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:56 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
All this and a city so polluted that people wear face masks to walk to the shops for groceries? Why on earth did the IOC ever choose Beijing as an olympic site?

Because the Chinese Government organised a free weekend pass at Maggies for the IOC delegation.

Mmmm. Mongitutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:03 

They hoped the worldwide public scrutiny and pressure would have spurred some changes in China, socially, econimically, environmentally, politically. Naive hope, I think.

I love the Olympics, I think China was a godawful choice ?:|

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 
Honey Boo Boo

I hope the olympics are like this!

(funny flash, NSFW)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 

It's probably the best place for them to be. See how absurd it makes the Chinese authorities look.

I can('t) wait to see how they react when a winning athlete unveils the obligatory Tibetan flag.

Cheer yourself up
Amiga Power Scans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:19 
Hibernating Druid

No flags allowed. Or waving.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:23 

Also, no cheering.

Or smiling.

The races will now all be replaced with marching events.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 

The flag will be concealed in the rectum making that 100 metres victory even more impressive.

Cheer yourself up
Amiga Power Scans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Hopefully it will then be unfurled just as the athlete crosses the finishing line using a small explosive charge.

To be fair, I think there may be some historical precedent about their wariness about Mongolians.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 13:44 
Sweet Potato

Yeah, I regularly don't let the English into my home, what with being at war hundreds of years ago with them and all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 13:51 
INFINITE POWAH

vegetables wrote:
Yeah, I regularly don't let the English into my home, what with being at war hundreds of years ago with them and all.

Are you from Quebec?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 18:00 
Can you dig it?

I heard/read that some athletes may make a 'T' for Tibet gesture (just like the 'time-out' signal) in protest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 18:13 

And then never be seen again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 18:28 
Sweet Potato

Mr Chris wrote:

Wow. That's a whole new level of nationalism there. It's hard enough to be bitingly sarcastic as it is without people doing the things you're insinuating as ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 18:52 

Dudley wrote:
And then never be seen again.

The targets for the shooting competitions will be, er, somewhat different to previous Games.

Really, really sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 18:53 

vegetables wrote:
It's hard enough to be bitingly sarcastic as it is without people doing the things you're insinuating as ridiculous.

I'd quite forgotten that the French had lived on those lands since time immemorial...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Meanwhile, the Chinese authorities are working hard to control the pollution levels in the city before the event:

Quote:
For the next two months, owners of 3.3 million private cars can drive only on alternate days in China's capital, based on whether the last digit of their license plates is even or odd

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:58 
baron of techno

Craster wrote:
Meanwhile, the Chinese authorities are working hard to control the pollution levels in the city before the event:

Quote:
For the next two months, owners of 3.3 million private cars can drive only on alternate days in China's capital, based on whether the last digit of their license plates is even or odd

8)

They've done that in Athens for about the last 20 years I believe.

I was in Beijing 2 years ago and I'm here to tell you, that won't be enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
Craster wrote:

Quote:

8)

They've done that in Athens for about the last 20 years I believe.

I was in Beijing 2 years ago and *COUGH COUGH SPLUTTER HACK PE-TOOEY*

Pulmonary FTFY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:34 
Excellent Member

According to the BBC, the pollution has been varying wildly from 350 (somethings) to 20-30 (somethings). Where the WHO has said that 50 (somethings) are aceptable but 150 (somethings) is right out.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 13:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Man, this just gets weirder and weirder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 13:48 
baron of techno

"You're really excellent".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 13:54 
UltraMod

Dimrill is really excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 14:06 
INFINITE POWAH

"Queuing Day".

Say what you like about the English, but the fact that our innate response to a group of people trying to get to the same place at once is to form a queue makes us the wonder of the modern world.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 14:11 
baron of techno

Mr Chris wrote:
Say what you like about the English, but the fact that our innate response to a group of people trying to get to the same place at once is to knife someone / be crushed underfoot in stampede is just typical of the modern world

London-centric FTFY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 14:12 
INFINITE POWAH

London isn't part of England anymore. The M25 has border police on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 14:50 
Soopah red DS

Mr Chris wrote:
"Queuing Day".

Say what you like about the English, but the fact that our innate response to a group of people trying to get to the same place at once is to form a queue makes us the wonder of the modern world.

One of the great myths that, though, isn't it? Witness bus stops, behaviour getting out of Latitude festival yesterday and so on.

Bill Bryson suggested our ability to stand around and make each other laugh, even where all caught by a delay, which I like. And the Aussies suggest our whinging, which I like less but have to concede.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 14:58 
INFINITE POWAH

JBR wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
"Queuing Day".

One of the great myths that, though, isn't it? Witness bus stops, behaviour getting out of Latitude festival yesterday and so on.

Perhaps I just mean "my bit of England", where everyone queues in an orderly fashion and we still have milk floats.

Quote:
And the Aussies suggest our whinging, which I like less but have to concede.

Only if they concede "being chippy cunts", mind. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I queue in an orderly fashion for buses in London. Unfortunately I'm the only person that does, which causes trouble getting a seat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:40 
Excellent Member

When I was based in Japan, everyone there queued like the English used to, before we got all 'every man for himself' due to the American influence on our culture of manners.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:43 

Did they even queue for the trains? I was there a few years ago and as soon as the doors open everyone piles in as fast as they can. Just wondered if it used to be different.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:45 
INFINITE POWAH

I thought they had special guys with white gloves who pushed people onto the trains. Which always seemed to me like the ideal career for the groper-about-town.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:46 
Excellent Member

Yeah, when I was there they were very orderly. I guess they've started going downhill as well. They are probably not at the 'stab someone in the chip shop' stage yet, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:47 

They seemed to be perfectly capable of getting on without anyone needing to push them on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 23:48 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I heard/read that some athletes may make a 'T' for Tibet gesture (just like the 'time-out' signal) in protest.

The interpretation of this by official Chinese commentators will no doubt stimulate a great boom and bust in China's tea export industry.

JBR wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
"Queuing Day".

Bill Bryson suggested our ability to stand around and make each other laugh, even where all caught by a delay, which I like. And the Aussies suggest our whinging, which I like less but have to concede.

Apart from public transport, English folks do still queue more than our continental chums. When I sold tat to tourists in Canterbury, the english would queue while the Hungarians, French, Italians and Miscians would often just bundle round and holler about what they wanted until one of us threw a pot of hot water over them.

I always 'queue' as much as possible for buses. In other words, I always get on last (unless there are mouthy schoolchildren trying to barge in front, in which case I stand my ground or quietly push a penknife into their ribs). This probably doesn't help my chronic tardiness.

I think the sense of humour thing is the most vital and excellent thing about Britain and Britishers. Ireland too, although they come at humour from a slightly different angle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:10 

It's never mouthy schoolchildren that push me out of the way. It's old ladies with sticks.

Old ladies with sticks that, despite having all day to travel purposefully always pick 3:30 to want to get on a bus, push everyone out of the way, and then frigging moan the whole journey.

What? You've got on for free and you have been given a seat, whilst I have had to pay and I am standing here, crowded, and my ears are being abused by your moaning, ageist, and sometimes racist prejudices, aimed at the kids who can't be arsed talking back to you because they have heard it all before. Yes, my heart bleeds, and stop slamming the end of your walking stick on my foot.

Actually, I cannot stand the rudeness of some old people. Especially in Post Offices and the bus - they often act like they should be the only people to access these two services. Woe betide anyone who foolishly tries to post something at the Post Office...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:36 
Isn't that lovely?

The BBC's opening titles for their coverage.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mimi wrote:
Woe betide anyone who foolishly tries to post something at the Post Office...

I didn't realise they offered that service. I thought they just sold glass animals and stationery.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:56 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:

That's not how monkey got his staff! And that's not how Pigsy joined him. And where's the Boddhisatva? Tchah!

Quite neat, though, and kind of eerily hypnotic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 14:00 
Can you dig it?

I'm going to see Monkey: Journey to the West tomorrow, and I'm very much looking forward to it :hat:

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]