Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pimp my Mimi
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 15:06 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Meems, would you be able to make DS cases for the DS Chunky, as well as the Lite? I don't own one of you posh people's consoles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 15:07 

Awww, almost long lost brothers forming on beteo :smug:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 15:09 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Does that make Sally your boss?

It does indeed. What's your Real Name, then?

Andy.

Haha. That is most amusing.

I'm back in Shropshire in a couple of weeks... how much to not tell her that you play on the internet all day?

:p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 15:11 

Curiosity wrote:
I'm back in Shropshire in a couple of weeks... how much to not tell her that you play on the internet all day?

Ha ha! I'm not at Source today, I'm at my other job!

Foiled!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 15:12 

Sheepeh wrote:
Meems, would you be able to make DS cases for the DS Chunky, as well as the Lite? I don't own one of you posh people's consoles.

Yeah, sure, shouldn't need much of a jiggle around with, and my brothers have one I can borrow for the purpose, I think. You should get a lite though, the screen is much brighter :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 15:13 
Sleepyhead

Mimi wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:

Yeah, sure, shouldn't need much of a jiggle around with, and my brothers have one I can borrow for the purpose, I think. You should get a lite though, the screen is much brighter :D

Zombies iPod covers for proper sized iPods!

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 15:20 

I have a proper sized iPod. I was only asking about the nanos because I do not have one of those, see, and I will not see my sister for a long while.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 15:37 

But obviously do the DS-Lite ones first :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 20:30 
baron of techno

Hey Mimi, how about a "gift" service where you give the address of the person you want it to go, and maybe a message to go in a card? Like Amazon does only doubtless much cuter. Everyone likes getting prezzies in the mail.

Also - item ordered ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 20:39 

Oh - was that you earlier on? I was just packaging up now actually.

I think your idea is absolutely fantastic, as well! made some little giftwrap envelopes which I put all of the items in - if someone mentions it's for a gift I leave the top edge unsealed with a seal-able strip, but if not I still giftwrap them anyway - as you say - everyone likes to receive gifts, even if you have bought them yourself. I got a load of little boxes for the more delicate items as well, to stop things getting bent by ham fisted postmen. I should advertise the free giftwrapping as well - I think I may utilise that litle side graphic for that.

I'll pop your order in the post on Monday :D and I'm going to work out how to integrate a tick box if it is a gift and put a short message type thingamajig, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 21:19 
Legendary Boogeyman

Very pleased to see its going well Mimi, best of luck!

My felt arrived today, top marks to the lady for speed, and it looks like just the stuff I need for the mini-project. I might knock something together tomorrow, so you'll all have to stay tuned with baited breath. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 23:10 

I'm glad you received it in good time and even more glad that it is suitable - looking forward to seeing your project!

As for me - well, the Zombee DS lite cases are DONE. I am ecstatically happy with them and shall take some pictures in the daylight tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 0:12 

\o/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 0:21 
Sleepyhead

Mimi wrote:
I'm glad you received it in good time and even more glad that it is suitable - looking forward to seeing your project!

As for me - well, the Zombee DS lite cases are DONE. I am ecstatically happy with them and shall take some pictures in the daylight tomorrow.

T-Shirts, woman, T-shirts!

>:(

;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:15 

No, ds lite case first. I need to order things!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:22 
Excellent Member

Your wares are glorious, Mimi.

That is all.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 20:52 

Thankyou, Nervy P! :kiss:

It's going to be a while before I can make T-shirts, Curiosity - I don't have the materials so they are something to think about in the (near) future, but not for a while. I have been working on perfecting the DS lite cases today, and I have got them to fit exactly as I wanted now, and I am very pleased with them so I uploaded them to the shop and wrote a little blog post, too.

I think I might go and draw some funny dinosaurs now, and watch some TV, because I have been sewing all day and I am a bit tired, and I have decided that no shop is ever complete without dinosaurs.

Zombee case
Kokeshi (Japanese doll) case

I am going to try and make one for chunky DSs soon, I think. Do many people still own them?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 21:09 
Excellent Member

Aww man, they are soooo cute! I love your site Mimi and you are mega skilled.

I'm going to buy a DS now just so I can I put it in one of those cases!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 21:28 
lazy eye patch

Brilliant, Mimi. I might get one of those for my sister's DS (I don't use mine often enough to justify it, sorry!), and I can think of a couple of folks who might particularly love that Zombees one :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 22:01 
Sleepyhead

Mimi wrote:
It's going to be a while before I can make T-shirts, Curiosity

Xmas?

*hint hint*

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 23:11 
Where are you?

Mimi wrote:
It's going to be a while before I can make T-shirts

Alternatively, just fling 'em through Cafepress.

Quote:
I am going to try and make one for chunky DSs soon, I think. Do many people still own them?

I do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 23:13 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Mimi wrote:

Consider mine the first order for a Chunky Case.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 23:23 

CraigGrannell wrote:
Mimi wrote:
It's going to be a while before I can make T-shirts

Alternatively, just fling 'em through Cafepress.

Ding ding ding ding ding.

God idea, CraigG, I forgot about that place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 0:40 

DSLite case ordered with extreme prejudice. And a nana.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 19:44 

Someone just said that they added my site to 'stumbleupon'.

I've just had a look at the site and I'm not quite sure what it is about. The girl who contacted me seemed to be telling me this was a good thing, so I assume it is. Anyone have any experience with the site and is it likely to be of any use?

Google still seems to be only paying any decent attention to my blog :( I think it has picked up one of my shop items (the apple purse) but nothing else yet. The main site has only been up a week (whereas the blog was launched about two months ago) - are there any approximate timescales in which this kind of thing starts to happen, or is it a bit random?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 19:57 
I forgot about this - how vain

Stumbleupon is a toolbar plug in for your browser, and when bored you click it and it takes you to a random page that 1) stumble upon people deem interesting, or 2) have paid for some clicks.

I used to have it for a while but it is massively distracting.

Also:

1) How many cards fit in the Pea Card Holder thing?

2) I wish those little pics under the description could be clicked to show higher res pics - if thats possible. As I wanted to know what the Pea was saying...

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

Sometimes Google won't catalogue pages that appear to be dynamically generated, as this method could be used to spawn an infinite number of pages of keywords and totally wonk up the rankings. Is your site like this?

To get around that for comicalgames.com, I changed the mod_rewrite rules so that dynamically generated pages appear to be static html. This is what things like wordpress do - they don't actually create pages and folders on the server, it uses mod_rewrite to appear like they're real, and hence get indexed.

Is that of any help? I think that's all correct, and not a load of half-baked shit :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:02 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Lave wrote:
2) I wish those little pics under the description could be clicked to show higher res pics - if thats possible. As I wanted to know what the Pea was saying...

It's saying "Give peas a chance". I either have excellent eyesight, or I cheated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:05 

Mimi wrote:
Google still seems to be only paying any decent attention to my blog :( I think it has picked up one of my shop items (the apple purse) but nothing else yet. The main site has only been up a week (whereas the blog was launched about two months ago) - are there any approximate timescales in which this kind of thing starts to happen, or is it a bit random?

This is my work, I job this!

It could take anywhere up to a month to get fully indexed. You just have to wait for Google to find you. Linking to stuff helps, especially from forums because they're spidered by Google frequently. Once Google turns up to spider your site, it'll decide when it wants to come back next, perhaps in a month's time to find new stuff. If it notices a lot of new stuff, it'll decide to come back the next time in, say, 2 weeks. If it finds even MORE new stuff in 2 weeks, it'll come back in a week and so on. The more frequently you update, regularly, the quicker it'll appear in the Google search results.

For example, http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa ... arch&meta=

That news story was posted today and it's already top of the Google results, because the BBC is spidered by Google pretty much constantly.

That was the simplest I could put it, hope it helps!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:06 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Sometimes Google won't catalogue pages that appear to be dynamically generated, as this method could be used to spawn an infinite number of pages of keywords and totally wonk up the rankings. Is your site like this?

To get around that for comicalgames.com, I changed the mod_rewrite rules so that dynamically generated pages appear to be static html. This is what things like wordpress do - they don't actually create pages and folders on the server, it uses mod_rewrite to appear like they're real, and hence get indexed.

Is that of any help? I think that's all correct, and not a load of half-baked shit :)

Also, this is correct, but I wouldn't worry about that for your site. It's just gonna take some time. If you see no results in a month, then I'd look into this. Looks as though your site is fairly static URL wise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:07 

Lave wrote:

yeah, Craig is working on this, but it's causing trouble.

It says give peas a chance, by the way. (does it not say this in the listing? I shall have a look in a mo)

I fit 22 of my business cards into it, but I guess it depends how thick they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:10 

Oh - thanks guys.

Yes, I think it is dynamically generated (if I understand what that means, correctly).

I basically upload all of my items in an admin area and they just appear - like updating a blog post.

As you say, I will leave it a few weeks before worrying at all - thanks guys.

I was just getting a bit wondersome at it - I'm not too up on how these things work - I have the basic jist, but the details pass me by a teensy bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:11 

jonarob wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Also, this is correct, but I wouldn't worry about that for your site. It's just gonna take some time. If you see no results in a month, then I'd look into this. Looks as though your site is fairly static URL wise.

Cheers, jonarob, that's reassuring :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:17 

Mimi wrote:
Lave wrote:

yeah, Craig is working on this, but it's causing trouble.

It says give peas a chance, by the way. (does it not say this in the listing? I shall have a look in a mo)

I fit 22 of my business cards into it, but I guess it depends how thick they are.

Oh sorry, is it business cards or credit cards? I'm looking for a wallet replacement. And just want a thing for about 5 cards and a few notes...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:24 

They're the same size - it'll hold either, though it is primarily for business cards (saying which, I have of course been using it for my bank cards and oyster card), but I have some proper type wallets on teh way in the next week

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:34 

Mimi wrote:
Oh - thanks guys.

Yes, I think it is dynamically generated (if I understand what that means, correctly).

I basically upload all of my items in an admin area and they just appear - like updating a blog post.

As you say, I will leave it a few weeks before worrying at all - thanks guys.

I was just getting a bit wondersome at it - I'm not too up on how these things work - I have the basic jist, but the details pass me by a teensy bit.

It looks to me as though they have a permanent URL with a bit of dynamic gubbins at the end, which is usually alright.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:36 

Ah, that's great news. It's just me being over anxious, clearly.

Cheers again :munkeh:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:48 

Ah, I'll wait to have a look at them then!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:10 

Mimi wrote:
They're the same size - it'll hold either, though it is primarily for business cards (saying which, I have of course been using it for my bank cards and oyster card), but I have some proper type wallets on teh way in the next week

I intend to use mine simply for a debit card, a credit card and an oyster, so it sounds like I'm just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:20 

I'm going to use one of he cheese ones for my oyster, i think. I want to go and press a block of bright yellow cheese to the oyster reader on the bus :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:24 

Hah!

Although still not as cool as the sonic screwdriver *stares at lave*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:28 

Dudley wrote:

*stares at thesis*

*sobs*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:37 
Isn't that lovely?

Lave wrote:
Dudley wrote:

*stares at thesis*

*sobs*

Maybe of related interest.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:41 

Ah yes, I saw this but forgot all about it. I'll book mark it for the eventual return of skeptobot. Thanks! Apparently the Oyster card system was proven hackable to some degree even before it's launch.

Also - I'm thinking that skeptobot might have a (very simplistic) shop selling Little Bottles of Labeled Placebos.

I just need to procure a reliable source of proper placebos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:49 
baron of techno

Lave wrote:
Ah yes, I saw this but forgot all about it. I'll book mark it for the eventual return of skeptobot. Thanks! Apparently the Oyster card system was proven hackable to some degree even before it's launch.

Everything is hackable 'to some degree' as any fule kno.

Mifare classic is ancient, low-cost, not very strong, proprietary algorithm (but in the wild for some time) and has nothing in the way of physical barriers. But the "value" on the cards is low, and the back-end system works fairly well in preventing large scale fraud. So nobody really cared apart from hysterical newspapers and trouble-making geeks.

Oh, except due to the outrage, TfL now care as well and they're about to switch to Mifare DESFire instead, which is a much more expensive card and as crackable as an EMV bank card (which is to say, not very crackable at all). But guess who'll be paying for that little upgrade ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:53 

Is it Boris?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:56 
baron of techno

Dudley wrote:
Is it Boris?

If he lives in that Lundon and uses their underground tubular rail system, then yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 23:03 

kalmar wrote:
Lave wrote:

Everything is hackable 'to some degree' as any fule kno.

Mifare classic is ancient, low-cost, not very strong, proprietary algorithm (but in the wild for some time) and has nothing in the way of physical barriers. But the "value" on the cards is low, and the back-end system works fairly well in preventing large scale fraud. So nobody really cared apart from hysterical newspapers and trouble-making geeks.

Oh, except due to the outrage, TfL now care as well and they're about to switch to Mifare DESFire instead, which is a much more expensive card and as crackable as an EMV bank card (which is to say, not very crackable at all). But guess who'll be paying for that little upgrade ;)

Aye obviously, I got my tense wrong, I meant hacked.

I watched a video of some people clone a swedish card (that uses the same system as the Oyster aparently) then entered the building it contained.

But I couldnt get all the details as it was in the foreign, so thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 23:03 

Boris passing through the gates of the tube system using a sonic screwdriver is the best vision I have ever had!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 23:09 
baron of techno

Lave wrote:
I watched a video of some people clone a swedish card (that uses the same system as the Oyster aparently) then entered the building it contained.

But I couldnt get all the details as it was in the foreign, so thanks for the info.

Linky? I'd be interested.
There's a lot you can do with the fact that many operators leave the default key in place (FF FF FF FF FF FF) :)

Or it could have been a simple replay attack. Mifare classic can't avoid that, DESFire can.

Edit: Sorry mimi, forgot which thread I was ranting in there :D Ahem.

How about little felt monkehs with a mifare chip and antenna in them?

Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next