Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Guilty Pleasures
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:09 
making out to faces of death

I recently bought The Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift.

I'd always liked the first one, from since I saw it on some dodgy VCD with no soundtrack (which worked very well, except the bit where everyone was dancing to nothing and you could hear their feet shuffling around). I since got that on DVD and it was my favourite stupid car movie for ages. The second one seemed too much like a kind of Miami Vice/Dukes of Hazzard thing for my liking, not so much about immersing you into the fictitious world of cool underground street racers.

I'd read that Tokyo Drift wasn't really a FnF movie, that it was shoehorned into the "franchise" at the last moment (which is true, quite literally as it turns out).

It is, however, glorious.

The protagonist is a kid from the wrong side of whichever tracks are in town. A loner who's been moved from town to town, school to school through his bad behaviour. Anyway, importantly, he doesn't have one of those pastel coloured cardigans or a European roadster, so he's Worthless Poor Person. Never mind that although his old muscle car is painted in primer, it seems to have $30,000 worth of shiny Edelbrock chrome gubbins or whatever under the hood, and runs on racing slicks(!) Let's pretend that he doesn't have any money and so can't be popular.

So we get a fun race at the start versus some smugly punchable dude with highlights who probably moisturises or something. The consequence of which is that Poor Hero Boy has to move to Japan, where his dad lives. (Of course his parents are seperated).

Japan, it turns out, is full of casually grinning young men on the periphery of Yakuza influence, who give $50,000 cars to people for a laugh, and also full of high school students who drive $50,000 cars on the mountain roads when they "just need to deal with life", presumably instead of crying to Tori Amos records or masturbating, like regular teenagers. they also have impromptu parties in multi-storey car parks, but instead of being a bunch of pimple faced kids in leisurewear playing Basshunters out of their Corsa stereo, these cool kids have loads of girls! And proper DJs and stuff. And a kid who has the most extremely pimped little car ever, funded by selling sneakers to Japanese kids who I guess couldn't find a Foot Locker in their nearest mall. I mean, there would be one, you would think.

It's a fantasy world. I don't believe it exists. But gosh, is it cool, and don't you wish it does.

So what's the story? Well. Boy meets girl, girl has Angry Boyfriend. Boy's mentor is friend of Angry Boyfriend, but basically betrays him, but Angry Boyfriend is Mean, so Boy fights him/races him/whatever. It's wonderfully morally ambiguous, I felt that Angry Boyfriend had a good point, actually.

Mostly, it's a movie full of cool stuff like car chases, and skidding around and stuff which looks and sounds great. These people live in a world nobody really lives in, but it has a kind of consistency, and teenagers still talk rubbish while Being Really Deep, which is always funny, and a little embarrassing if you recall your own teenage years.

Most importantly, it doesn't make too much effort to snaz the story up by making it about some Serious Undercover Criminal Infiltration like FnF did. It's just this crazy world of young adults who seem to have no cares past their nightly car oriented lives. It's true to itself, and wonderfully daft. It helps if you squee at turbocharged Nissans sliding around, bouncing off their rev limiters, even so.

I'd love to read about other people's favourites. Possibly I'll comment on "But I'm A Cheerleader" which a friend of mine loves for no sane reason.

Post subject: Re: Guilty Pleasures
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 

Battle Royale.

Zoolander.

Labyrinth. (though this film is great, I love love love it)

Neverending Story.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:21 
That Rev Chap

I don't really have this in movies.

There are movies I love that others don't - Jason X, for example - but I don't see them as guilty pleasures. They're just great movies, for one reason or another, that other people are wrong about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:22 
INFINITE POWAH

Mimi wrote:
Battle Royale.

Nothing guilty about that - it is an empirically ace film.
Quote:
Zoolander

*shakes head*

Quote:
Labyrinth. (though this film is great, I love love love it)

Me too. It does, however, feature puppets and David Bowie (yes, they're different things), so is automatically deemed "guilty" by society.

Relatedly - Dark Crystal is ace.

Quote:
Neverending Story.

There was a similar film that I can't remember the name of....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:22 

Mimi wrote:
Battle Royale.

I never thought Battle Royale would be at the top of Mimi's list ?:|

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Neverending Story.

Neverending Story 2. HTH.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Neverending Story.

Neverending Story 2.

Ho ho ho. No, it was another "kid gets involved in fantasy goings on" film of the same era. With puppets.

Quote:
HTH.

?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:26 

Oh, they are not in any order, but I do think it is a great film. Everyone else I have told to watch it thinks it is rubbish though, so... :D

Neverending story II is just as wonderful as the first. Also starring a young (now sadly departed) Jonathon Brandis, who was my first crush :kiss: Also, Return to Oz with a young Fairuza Balk.

Do you mean Dark Crystal, Mr Chris? Though that was all puppets. Another Jim Henson film, but I think nearer to Labyrinth than to Neverending Story. There's also Willow and Legend (the one with Tom Cruise)

I haven't put Princess bride as we all know that film is wonderful and the pleasure is not a guilty one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
Quote:
HTH.

?

Happy To Help.

As Mimi says, you probably mean Dark Crystal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:31 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Quote:
HTH.

?

Happy To Help.

As Mimi says, you probably mean Dark Crystal.

No, I don't. I referred to that one in my orginal post as another excellent puppet film. It had no real life child actor in it though. I'm thinking of a film a bit like Neverending Story, with a real kid in it. And not Neverending Story 2.

Legend is a ghastly film - not sure if that's because of Tommy C or because it's rubbish. Willow was tops, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:32 
Excellent Member

The Chase

A mid-90s slice of hokum, starring Charlie Sheen on a good day. Sheen plays a guy who is innocent of the crime is about to be sent down for and, typical of his incompetence deicdes to flee for the border. He stops off at a gas station and mistakenly believing he is about to be caught, kidnaps Kristy Swanson and drags her into her car. He heads south with her as his hostage.

What he doesn't realise is that his hostage is the spoilt daughter of a multi-millionaire. So the TV gets involved, filming the chase live not only from helicopters following, but also via a pair of cops filming for a reality TV show - one of which played superbly by Henry Rollins.

Throw in some very prescient satire on the medias need for spectacle (a whole six months before OJ), some hilarious cameos from Anthony Kiedis, Flea, Claudia Christian and perhaps the best ever use of Suede in a movie and at 90 minutes knows not to outstay the fairly flimsy premise.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:33 

I don't really have a list of films that I would called guilty pleasures but I do like movie musicals a tad too much for a 25 year heterosexual guy. I don't really like the old ones (eg. Sound of Music, Oliver!) but more the modern ones (The Producers, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, South Park The Movie, Sweeney Todd etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 
That Rev Chap

Mimi wrote:
I haven't put Princess bride as we all know that film is wonderful and the pleasure is not a guilty one.

I ordered this t-shirt with a ThinkGeek gift certificate I got for my birthday -

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/popculture/9f70/

And these ones -

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/popculture/a574/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/popculture/a5a2/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 
Excellent Member

All this mention of 80s fantasy means I really must get Starchaser: The Legend of Orin.

Also 2010. Not that its regarded as a bad film, but it is completely overshadowed by its predecessor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:36 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I don't hate films like The Holiday, Alfie, Notting Hill etc.

I'm pretty sure I should be banned from driving.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:37 
That Rev Chap

Plissken wrote:
Also 2010. Not that its regarded as a bad film, but it is completely overshadowed by its predecessor.

I saw 2010 in the cinema. When I was eleven. Without having seen 2001.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:41 

I have never seen Legend. it's waiting to be watched, but I have never gotten around to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:51 
UltraMod

Bluecup wrote:
I don't really have a list of films that I would called guilty pleasures but I do like movie musicals a tad too much for a 25 year heterosexual guy. I don't really like the old ones (eg. Sound of Music, Oliver!) but more the modern ones (The Producers, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, South Park The Movie, Sweeney Todd etc.)

Do you like Cannibal: The Musical?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:53 

The Rev Owen wrote:
I saw 2010 in the cinema. When I was eleven. Without having seen 2001.

Me too! God... that was bleak. I'm pretty sure my dad was taking me to the cinema a lot at the time and we just got unlucky. I did see Ghostbusters in that period though, so overall win.

Plissken wrote:
All this mention of 80s fantasy means I really must get Starchaser: The Legend of Orin.

Another thing I saw in the cinema. 3D glasses an' all. I can't remember anything about it apart from the opening starfield which was 3D and clever and stuff.

The Rev Owen wrote:
I don't really have this in movies.

There are movies I love that others don't - Jason X, for example - but I don't see them as guilty pleasures. They're just great movies, for one reason or another, that other people are wrong about.

this! (on both counts)

I loved Jason X. pure daftness but very enjoyable and with one of the most hilarious scenes ever in it.

I extend the movies I love that others don't to Alien 3 and 4 and Predator 2 (there's nothing wrong with it!)

Also really like Thirteen Ghosts and Dead Man's Curve (Matthew Lillard is great when he's not being the white Will Smith), The Exterminator (man vs gang of pricks film from the late 70s, like Death Wish but without all the horribleness) and the second Matrix film.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:55 
Excellent Member

Bluce_Ree wrote:
I extend the movies I love that others don't to Alien 3 and 4 and Predator 2 (there's nothing wrong with it!)

Predator 2 is Most Excellent. The chase on the subway is superb.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:59 

Battle Royale is an awesome film, so nobody should feel guilty about that (not sure about the sequel though).

I must also confess a slight love for Fast and the Furious - Tokyo Drift although it's a shame the kid from American Gothic's accent didn't fade a bit as he got older.

Top of the guilt list for me would have to be Cool as Ice - Vanilla Ice at his most ridiculous.
*waits for impending banning*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 13:01 

myoptika wrote:
Bluecup wrote:

Do you like Cannibal: The Musical?

I haven't seen it. A quick look on wikipedia shows that it is up my street so now I'm going to have to track it down. Damn you myoptika, damn you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 13:08 
Lurker

Bluecup wrote:
I haven't seen it. A quick look on wikipedia shows that it is some up my street so now I'm going to have to track it down. Damn you myoptika, damn you.

Good call, it is a (chortle) BLOODY good film! Ha ha!

(It is, though.)

My "guilty pleasure" film is Mallrats - one of my favourite films despite being flawed in so many, many ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 13:16 
making out to faces of death

Ooh. I sort of remember The Chase. Did it involve some bizarre use of clown makeup or is that something I need to see my analyst about? Labyrinth is brilliant, not just because of David Bowie's tight trousers. Legend has Tim Curry in it, so it can't fail to be fantastic. I always wish she'd give in to his wiles when I watch it. *sighs*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 13:20 

I :luv: Tim Curry.

It is he that makes 'The Worst Witch' another great film (also, Fairuza Balk)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 13:50 
Can you dig it?

I really, really like some of the old Arnie films - especially Commando. It's so ludicrous, camp and plain silly in parts (probably all of the parts, actually). But I love it.

Joans wrote:
Top of the guilt list for me would have to be Cool as Ice - Vanilla Ice at his most ridiculous.
*waits for impending banning*

Cool as Ice is terrific! It's so funny in all the wrong ways. I have it on VCD, it took ages to find.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:02 
Sleepyhead

Bluce_Ree wrote:

Also really like Thirteen Ghosts and Dead Man's Curve (Matthew Lillard is great when he's not being the white Will Smith), The Exterminator (man vs gang of pricks film from the late 70s, like Death Wish but without all the horribleness) and the second Matrix film.

I also liked Predator 2 and the second Matrix film.

I always seem to like the second movie in a series more than most people do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Um. I like Operation Petticoat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:06 
INFINITE POWAH

Curiosity wrote:
I always seem to like the second movie in a series more than most people do.

I really love the second Pirates film. Apparently this is not allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I really, really like some of the old Arnie films - especially Commando. It's so ludicrous, camp and plain silly in parts (probably all of the parts, actually). But I love it.

Anyone that says a bad word about Commando will be banned. Not from the forum, I can't do that on my own - I'll just ban you in my apache config.

Commando is excellent.

"What happened to Sally?"
"I let him go."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:13 
Skillmeister

Yeah, Commando is fucking excellent. The missus's favourite film, in fact. Any love for Dragnet?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:16 
Excellent Member

Sully.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:18 

Mimi wrote:
I :luv: Tim Curry.

:this:

Meems, if you haven't played the Xbox1/Ps2 version of Lemony snickett's do so, he's Lemony...

Also, Clue. And the first Charlie's Angels. And Muppet Treasure Island. Anything with Tim Curry in is automatically acesticks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:19 
Excellent Member

AceAceBaby wrote:
Ooh. I sort of remember The Chase. Did it involve some bizarre use of clown makeup or is that something I need to see my analyst about?

You aren't imagining it.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The Charlie Sheen character was originally arrested because he was working as a kids entertainer. He was mistaken for a bank robber who disguised himself as a clown. There is a bit where Kristy Swanson imagines him as a clown.

After the credits, Sheen does the "Love the smell of napalm" speech while in the clown outfit.

Oooh. Dragnet is brilliant. I wish I could get a decent MP3 of City of Crime.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sort of related: What the fuck has happened to Eddie Murphy, man? He was the shit in the 80's/early 90's, and now he does 'Norbit'.
Fuck's sake.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:24 
Can you dig it?

Plissken wrote:
Sully.

He (David Patrick Kelly) was good in The Warriors also. Another film which is actually A Bit Shit, but I really like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Plissken wrote:
Sully.

[quote]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I really like The Warriors. The game, too.

Also Solar Warriors (Solarbabies US).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:27 
Skillmeister

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Plissken wrote:
Sully.

He (David Patrick Kelly) was good in The Warriors also. Another film which is actually A Bit Shit, but I really like.

Best in Twin Peaks though. He was also in The Crow, if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:32 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Sort of related: What the fuck has happened to Eddie Murphy, man? He was the shit in the 80's/early 90's, and now he does 'Norbit'.
Fuck's sake.

I was thinking exactly this last night when I saw the trailer for his new film. Looks utterly gash.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
Commando is excellent.

Arnie: Where is she?

Man: Mellow out, man. We can't talk business with you waving guns in people's faces. Your daughter's safe, Colonel. Whether she stays that way is up to you. My people got business with you. If you want your kid back, then you better cooperate.Right?

Arnie: Wrong.

*blam*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah!
"You scared? Well, you should be. This Green Beret's gonna kick your big ass!"
"I eat Green Beret's for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!" *smack*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:41 
Skillmeister

"don't wake my friend, he's dead tired"
HAHAHAHHA! Of course, what she didn't know, is that he'd just been viciously murdered! Silly stewardess! Oohhhhh, my aching sides.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:44 
Excellent Member

And then he jumps out of a plane. While it is taking off.

Someone once said that Commando was a comedy, only Arnie didn't notice. I tend to agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:45 
INFINITE POWAH

myoptika wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fuck's sake.

I was thinking exactly this last night when I saw the trailer for his new film. Looks utterly gash.

Does this mean The Adventures of Pluto Nash *isn't* as good as it looks from the box?

Murphy seems to have done nothing but stinkers for a few years. Was his contract drawn up by the devil or something? "The Contractor shall be entitled to fame, glory and criticial acclaim for 15 years. Thereafter the Contractor shall in all events sink into obscurity and become a faded has been (the "Seagal Period") . The Contractor shall during the Seagal Period obey every command of the Producer, including, but not limited to, having sex with a fat version of himself on screen. BWHAHAHAHAHAH."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:49 

Dimrill wrote:

you do indeed. he fired the fatal shot that killed Brandon Lee.

man, Arnie films aren't guilty pleasures. they're just ace. well, the old ones were.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:49 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Apparently he was OK in that film version of the Supremes story. I think he might actually be a decent actor still, just as lazy as hell. Or he really thinks that fat suits are funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

Jesus I never realised that Arnie's daughter was in fact a very young Alyssa Milano. Blimey.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:51 
Skillmeister

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

you do indeed. he fired the fatal shot that killed Brandon Lee.

Did he? Cor, that's interesting trivia right there.

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next