Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Film Metaphors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 0:48 
Irresponsible member

I've just seen some film debate going on but didn't want to derail the thread. This is a genuine conversation after seeing Jurrasic Park 3 with an ex of mine who did film studies (probably not quite word for word but the gist is there):

Me: So why the hell would they build an atrium to store dinosaurs that would fall apart after three years. I am pretty sure if they left the Blackpool tower alone for three years it wouldn't fall to bits like that.
Ex: It was to show the helplessness of the people involved. The falling apart of the atrium was a metaphor for their situation.
Me: What... really that was the intention of that in the film?
Ex: I thought it was pretty obvious. Their gradually worsening plight was mirrored by their surroundings.
Me: Err..

I have seen a few directors commentaries where they mention a small thing that I would never have noticed that apparently is very important to the plot and to be honest they don't change the film for me.

So is it just me who doesn't get these, apparently obvious, subtexts (and I don't class Jurassic Park 3 as a deep film) or is anyone else bamboozled by what I see as obvious plot holes but are in fact the directors way of getting a message across. Any examples that will enlighten me are welcome.

Post subject: Re: Film Metaphors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:21 

I think a lot of the time, with film and novels alike, people like to read too much into them. Then, the director might pick up on something an "academic" has said, and claim it as his/her intention all along. Sure, I believe some authors and directors use metaphors quite deliberately, but a lot of the time it's just people with too much time reading too much into a movie about dinosaurs going on a rampage.

Oh, and Donnie Darko.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:40 
Irresponsible member

This was what I was thinking. If you get too hooked up into something you enjoy you can go around over analysing (bumming) all sorts of things. I am not joking when I say she applied the same logic to "The Toxic Avenger", I think it was called. This was, apparently, a metaphor for societies view on the physically deformed.

I thought it was a silly horror movie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:22 
Excellent Member

There can be lots of metaphors in films, but frequently ones that aren't intentional, or particularily good. I don't count a metaphor a metaphor unless its really fucking good. Like the ones in Bladerunner, or I Know Where I'm Going, The Red Shoes or Black Narcissus. ("More Pressburger eh, Pete? Gngh." - ed.)

Anyway, back to packing for me.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The 'atrium' metaphor (meta4 would be a great name for a four-piece band) sounds like an excuse to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:25 
Hibernating Druid

Everyone interprets things differently, unless I've heard the creators intentions I take critics/analisers ideas with a pinch of salt.

You can apply a layer of bullshit to everything.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:26 

Disclaimer: I got a Third in my Film Studies (esque) degree.

Some films definitely have intentional deeper meanings to them, and it's not always films you expect. Surely everyone knows that the original Dawn Of The Dead is a metaphor on the growth of consumer culture? Romero was basically saying that we as a culture like to shop so much that even in death, given the choice, the first place we'd head to is the local mall.

But here, we're talking about Jurassic Park III. I'm fairly certain that the rundown atrium has less to do with being a metaphor for the helpness of the characters and more to do with the director wanting us to see how the facility had been ruined by years of unchecked dino attacks as well as to heighten the suspense by making it so that the scenery itself was almost as much of a danger to those characters as the aforementioned dinos.

People really do read too much into things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:28 
I forgot about this - how vain

I possible one of the most observent viewers of metaphors in film history.
I'll spot every metaphor in a film no problem.
Hell my palette is so developed that I can tell the best metaphors a mile off.
I could list about 20 of my favourite metaphors in film right now.

Oh wait. I thought you were talking about breasts.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 
Hibernating Druid

I like watching zombies, 'sploshuns, boobs, spaceships and cars. You can stuff your metafers up your fudgey.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I had a friend who claimed ( if I remember correctly ) that Die Hard was infact a modern retelling of something like Dante's Inferno, or Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress, or something else equally daft. He was a bit of a dick though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:48 
baron of techno

The Big Lebowski is no doubt a metaphor for loads of stuff, but I'm too stupid to understand it, despite noticing a lot of the references.

If someone wants to explain it to me that would be cool, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:48 
I forgot about this - how vain

Despite my flippant post earlier. My friend once sent me an extract from a book about film, and it was an entire chapter devoted to why Back to the future 1 was one of the best films ever made, and went into detail about how prefectly it was scripted and crafted.

Despite having loved BTTF as a child I laughed at how silly and pompous it was to begin with, and then I read it and I was absolutely convinced. I'll try and find it if I can... But basically it outlined how lean they made the film and how everything resonated with the future and past. A lot of it I had realised myself but a lot of it had completely passed me by.

Like I had never noticed that the novelty clocks in the opening shot of the film basically outline the entire plot.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:58 
Sweet Potato

I read one of my friend's film studies books once, which said that the rising sun in some SF movie I don't remember "obviously represented a mandela". That's some of the most desperate reaching I've seen, given that it's a sun, so of course it looks like a sun, and it rising is important at that point in the story. It is not mandela-esque in any way. Argh.

This sort of thing is what made me give up considering taking English at university, because my teacher said she was very impressed by "the lurching rhythm of my poetry mirroring the slow decay of society it describes", and I realised I couldn't keep pretending for four years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:04 
PC Gamer

Lave wrote:
Despite my flippant post earlier. My friend once sent me an extract from a book about film, and it was an entire chapter devoted to why Back to the future 1 was one of the best films ever made, and went into detail about how prefectly it was scripted and crafted.

Despite having loved BTTF as a child I laughed at how silly and pompous it was to begin with, and then I read it and I was absolutely convinced. I'll try and find it if I can... But basically it outlined how lean they made the film and how everything resonated with the future and past. A lot of it I had realised myself but a lot of it had completely passed me by.

Like I had never noticed that the novelty clocks in the opening shot of the film basically outline the entire plot.

Watching the three BTTF films back-to-back gave me a completely new appreciation for how bloody brilliantly put together they are, and how much they echo and / or foreshadow each other.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:07 

Once you start looking for symbols you often find you can't stop, no matter how trite they may be.

It's good to disucss these 'deeper' meanings though as you might find you get a perspective on the film/novel you might never have noticed before. Whether you accept that interpretation or not is up to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:48 

Lave wrote:

I think that's the thing though, done well the more subtle elements should pass you by on one level, but they're there and add to the film. It's then interesting to read how much effort the director has put in to creating them. Rather like the difference between incidental music that sits in the background doing its job and that which stomps all over every scene. For me that's part of what makes a great director as opposed to the sort of pompous arseholes who make films which spend the entire time screaming out for you to 'get' it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:51 
Comfortably Dumb

markg wrote:
Lave wrote:

I think that's the thing though, done well the more subtle elements should pass you by on one level, but they're there and add to the film. It's then interesting to read how much effort the director has put in to creating them.

Or lack of effort in the case of the Running Man where you see adverts for show earlier in the film showing clips of stuff that happens later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:56 
Skillmeister

I remember reading some guff about The Big Lebowski which claimed that The Dude and Maude were brother and sister. The justification for this came from Mr Lebowski saying "do what your parents did, get a job!" which they read as him claiming parental responsibility for The Dude. Rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:59 
lazy eye patch

kalmar wrote:
The Big Lebowski is no doubt a metaphor for loads of stuff, but I'm too stupid to understand it, despite noticing a lot of the references.

If someone wants to explain it to me that would be cool, thanks.

It's about some folks the Coens knew in real life who they thought were funny :) According to everything I've ever heard, including them saying so. Maybe unusually.

Now, Barton Fink on the other hand....................!.......

Oh, and O Brother, Where Art Thou? is the Odyssey. Which I didn't realise until I think Dimrill pointed out to me - obvious reference being John Goodman playing a cyclops.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:01 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Yeah, I heard that. I didn't really get any of the references ( never having read the Odessey ) apart from the Siren women making them fall asleep. I only got that because I remember Tony Robinson telling it years and years ago on TV.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:04 
Skillmeister

And the Oracle at the beginning on the railroad.

"He's a suitor!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:11 
Excellent Painter

markg wrote:
Lave wrote:

I think that's the thing though, done well the more subtle elements should pass you by on one level, but they're there and add to the film. It's then interesting to read how much effort the director has put in to creating them. Rather like the difference between incidental music that sits in the background doing its job and that which stomps all over every scene. For me that's part of what makes a great director as opposed to the sort of pompous arseholes who make films which spend the entire time screaming out for you to 'get' it.

I don't think pompous is the right word. Bombastic, maybe. My favourite one for this is Oliver Stone, who has no comprehension of subtlety at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:12 
Sleepyhead

EDIT - This is about "O Brother! Where Art Thou?"

That's one of my all time favourite movies. The references are littered throughout it like candy.

George Clooney is awesome in it.

As are the songs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:12 
Skillmeister

DBSnappa wrote:
Oliver Stone, who has no comprehension of subtlety at all.

..or truth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:13 
Skillmeister

Curiosity wrote:

That's one of my all time favourite movies. The references are littered throughout it like candy.

As are the songs.

Try to resist calling Myp "Dapper Dan" go on. I can't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:19 
Sleepyhead

Dimrill wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

As are the songs.

Try to resist calling Myp "Dapper Dan" go on. I can't.

I don't want 'Fop'! I'm a 'Dapper Dan' man!

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:22 
lazy eye patch

zzzzzzMy hair!zzzzzz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:24 
Excellent Painter

Dimrill wrote:
I remember reading some guff about The Big Lebowski which claimed that The Dude and Maude were brother and sister. The justification for this came from Mr Lebowski saying "do what your parents did, get a job!" which they read as him claiming parental responsibility for The Dude. Rubbish.

I read somewhere that TBL was effectively a remake of The Big Sleep or another of Chandler's novels :)

I vaguely recall Miller's Crossing being loaded with metaphors, but I haven't watched it for years so can't recall.

However, some films are loaded with very very clever metaphors by genius design - every intricate detail has been worked through and thought through to the nth degree before an inch of footage is shot. This is rare though, I believe.

As for Jurassic Park III, I think it's a hugely under-rated film. It's lean and taut and a very good action flick within the JP franchise and I suspect that in that environ, that atrium would look that trashed after 1 year, let alone 3. However, decay and degradation and how fast nature overcomes man's constructions and conceits is a literal and cinematic cliche and I suspect that it may have been an aside in meetings with the Art Department, but as an actual metaphor? Who knows. It could just as easily been "I want an accurate representation of how fucked this place would look after 3 years of neglect"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 13:03 
Paws for thought

Curiosity wrote:

As are the songs.

I agree with the songs bit. Indeed, it's one of two films I have the soundtrack of. (The other is Singles, mainly because it had otherwise unavailable Pearl Jam stuff on it)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 13:13 
lazy eye patch

Mr Dave - this is quite probably a really silly question but, have you heard Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged set? They did 'State of Love & Trust' (as I dimly recall it being called) off Singles, amongst others. From before Vs was released. I don't think they've ever released it officially though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 13:19 
Paws for thought

Aye, I have the video of it too, amazing performance it is. But yes, I had to aqcuire it in bootleg form. Annoying really.
State of love and trust is, indeed, one of the songs off the singles soundtrack and is awesome (and now also available on various live cds/dvds as well as the rearviewmirror best of album) alongside Breath, which is one of their best songs. (And was written before Eddie joined the band)

And now you've gone and made me put on the MTV unplugged videos. Bah, that's a couple of hours gone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 14:03 

Mentioning the Coen brothers, the beautiful thing which makes me laugh at the many idiots who ridiculously over-analyse every bloody film on those stupid iMDB film comment forums, is that they generally just did stuff 'cos it looked cool. I had a friend who was doing his PhD on the Coens films' and talked to them many times. A classic is the scene where the hat floats slowly to the ground in Millers Crossing, which so many people have "interpreted" to mean various things, but the Coens openly admit was just a random shot they thought of on the spot, with no deeper meaning.

Films which have revolved around a huge metaphor, like Apocalypse Now or Blade Runner, do it perfectly though, but (echoing jonarob) atrocities like Donnie Darko - AAARRRGHGHGHHHfuckofffuckofffuckoff!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 14:10 

I will not have that - Donnie Darko is an excellent film. But then, hey! I'm selling my 360 and keeping the PS3, so my opinion counts for shit.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 14:11 
lazy eye patch

Mr Dave wrote:
the rearviewmirror best of album

That's probably my fave song still that, off Vs. Actually, I think Vs. is probably my fave album of theirs - I was going to say Vitalogy, because I love that too (one of the first albums I ever got, which is probably a bit part of why), but I think Vs. just pips it. Still good. Daughter is still heart-breaking.

On the subject of films and metaphors - anyone ever seen I Heart Huckabees? Anyone here understand it? :(

Zio wrote:
I will not have that - Donnie Darko is an excellent film. But then, hey! I'm selling my 360 and keeping the PS3, so my opinion counts for shit.

Shut the fuck up, Donny.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 13:27 
Excellent Member

I really like Donnie Darko too, though I think this has more to do with its excellent cast, tight direction, clever script, strange atmosphere and top soundtrack than the plot. On paper the plot (or event) which I did manage to work out on my own is pretty bobbins, but all of the above make it work and seem quite epic and darkly lovely.

So yes, I quite like it.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 13:28 
INFINITE POWAH

pupil wrote:
Mentioning the Coen brothers, the beautiful thing which makes me laugh at the many idiots who ridiculously over-analyse every bloody film on those stupid iMDB film comment forums, is that they generally just did stuff 'cos it looked cool. I had a friend who was doing his PhD on the Coens films' and talked to them many times. A classic is the scene where the hat floats slowly to the ground in Millers Crossing, which so many people have "interpreted" to mean various things, but the Coens openly admit was just a random shot they thought of on the spot, with no deeper meaning.

See also: English Literature Degrees.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 13:32 
Sleepyhead

nervouspete wrote:
I really like Donnie Darko too, though I think this has more to do with its excellent cast, tight direction, clever script, strange atmosphere and top soundtrack than the plot. On paper the plot (or event) which I did manage to work out on my own is pretty bobbins, but all of the above make it work and seem quite epic and darkly lovely.

So yes, I quite like it.

Agreed. The soundtrack works so, so well. The opening scene with Donnie waking up riding down the hill to 'The Killing Moon' is just so atmospheric, I was hooked from the start. Add in the great use of 'Head over Heels' and (at the time the non-ubiquitous) 'Mad World', and the music worked perfectly. It was well acted, had a tight script and just, well... worked.

The time travel and cause and effect nature of it all is naturally confusing, and at times seems flawed, but for me the atmosphere really carried it through. Especially if you consider it to have a happy ending, which I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 13:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Gah freaky mirrors scary film trailer alert!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37310
[edit]Don't watch if, say, you don't want to see Amy Smart tearing her own face in half. Oh yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 13:34 
Hibernating Druid

The watery time dicks in Donnie Darko were cool. If I make a film, it will have those... and the dancing bag from American Beauty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 13:46 
Excellent Member

Squirt wrote:
Yeah, I heard that. I didn't really get any of the references ( never having read the Odessey ) apart from the Siren women making them fall asleep. I only got that because I remember Tony Robinson telling it years and years ago on TV.

Oooh! There's loads!

Obviously the quest to get back home to face down the suitor/suitors. The ironic twist being that whilst Penelope in the book clings to Odyseuss being alive when everyone else thinks he's dead, Penny pretends he's dead so she can raise her kids right without his bad influence, and willingly looks for a suitor.

Not only do you have the Sirens, but it also combo's Circe with it, as Tuturro gets turned into a toad.

Pappy O'Daniel's first name is Menelaus, and his rival's first name is Homer.

To win back his wife he has to sneak in to the dance hall in disguise, which is what Odyseuss did to ambush the suitors in his hall.

The pardon can be seen as the wiping clean of memories and grievences that Zeus does under Hera's persuasion after the slaughter of the suitors.

Further irony in that it is a flood that saves Clooney when in the Odyssey Poseidon keeps trying to knock the hero off.

Odysseus is described as "the man of many sorrows" in the book, which is referenced in 'A Man of Constant Sorrow' song.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 13:54 
Sleepyhead

nervouspete wrote:
Squirt wrote:

Oooh! There's loads!

Obviously the quest to get back home to face down the suitor/suitors. The ironic twist being that whilst Penelope in the book clings to Odyseuss being alive when everyone else thinks he's dead, Penny pretends he's dead so she can raise her kids right without his bad influence, and willingly looks for a suitor.

Not only do you have the Sirens, but it also combo's Circe with it, as Tuturro gets turned into a toad.

To win back his wife he has to sneak in to the dance hall in disguise, which is what Odyseuss did to ambush the suitors in his hall.

The pardon can be seen as the wiping clean of memories and grievences that Zeus does under Hera's persuasion after the slaughter of the suitors.

Further irony in that it is a flood that saves Clooney when in the Odyssey Poseidon keeps trying to knock the hero off.

Odysseus is described as "the man of many sorrows" in the book, which is referenced in 'A Man of Constant Sorrow' song.

Not to mention the main character's name.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 14:47 
making out to faces of death

I want to mention Two Lane Blacktop. I'm not clever enough to highlight all the cool and interesting things about it, but at the least, the characters in many ways represent the "free spirit" culture of the sixties versus the mainstream. The free spirits are shown to be shallow, empty, and incapable of moving forward (they are all "headed east", but the two drag racers just keep doing the same thing in each state, like they're stuck in time, never growing), the GTO driver is a mundane man, clearly going through a midlife crisis, and desperate to seem cooler than he really is- spinning a new lie about his life to each hitchhiker he picks up, eventually appropriating the story of the drag racers for his own- possibly a comment about the corporate mainstream coopting counter cultures in a shallow way. Nobody learns, nobody wins, life goes on, but you're wondering how much "east" is left (not much geographically speaking).

Mostly I want to mention it because it's fantastic. The basic premise is "Old Chevy driving youngsters challenge guy in brand new GTO to a drag race cross country" but it's nothing like that really, they don't ever really "race", they travel together, the challenge barely a part of their experiences. It's a very minimalist film.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 15:48 

Curiosity wrote:
nervouspete wrote:
Squirt wrote:

Oooh! There's loads!

Not to mention the main character's name.

..and, errrr, it saying something like "based on Homers' Odyssey" in the titles at the beginning of the film...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 20:26 
Kindly deeds done for free

Curiosity wrote:
The soundtrack works so, so well. The opening scene with Donnie waking up riding down the hill to 'The Killing Moon' is just so atmospheric, I was hooked from the start. Add in the great use of 'Head over Heels' and (at the time the non-ubiquitous) 'Mad World', and the music worked perfectly. It was well acted, had a tight script and just, well... worked.

This sounds like a prime example of a film succeeding in spite of, not because of, its director; I think the opening song was meant to be "Never Tear Us Apart" by Inxs and while I haven't seen the director's cut, I've heard that it's flabby and over-explains the plot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 22:50 
Sleepyhead

tossrStu wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
The soundtrack works so, so well. The opening scene with Donnie waking up riding down the hill to 'The Killing Moon' is just so atmospheric, I was hooked from the start. Add in the great use of 'Head over Heels' and (at the time the non-ubiquitous) 'Mad World', and the music worked perfectly. It was well acted, had a tight script and just, well... worked.

This sounds like a prime example of a film succeeding in spite of, not because of, its director; I think the opening song was meant to be "Never Tear Us Apart" by Inxs and while I haven't seen the director's cut, I've heard that it's flabby and over-explains the plot.

I certainly heard talk that the director's commentary was him bumbling utter bollocks and sounding like a twat for the duration.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:44 
baron of techno

AceAceBaby wrote:
I want to mention Two Lane Blacktop. I'm not clever enough to highlight all the cool and interesting things about it, but at the least, the characters in many ways represent the "free spirit" culture of the sixties versus the mainstream. The free spirits are shown to be shallow, empty, and incapable of moving forward (they are all "headed east", but the two drag racers just keep doing the same thing in each state, like they're stuck in time, never growing), the GTO driver is a mundane man, clearly going through a midlife crisis, and desperate to seem cooler than he really is- spinning a new lie about his life to each hitchhiker he picks up, eventually appropriating the story of the drag racers for his own- possibly a comment about the corporate mainstream coopting counter cultures in a shallow way. Nobody learns, nobody wins, life goes on, but you're wondering how much "east" is left (not much geographically speaking).

Mostly I want to mention it because it's fantastic. The basic premise is "Old Chevy driving youngsters challenge guy in brand new GTO to a drag race cross country" but it's nothing like that really, they don't ever really "race", they travel together, the challenge barely a part of their experiences. It's a very minimalist film.

Watched this last night. It is fantastic as you say, but I'm not really able to describe why.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:49 
Excellent Painter

Mr Chris wrote:
pupil wrote:

See also: English Literature Degrees.

http://www.xkcd.com/451/

I would also add pretty much ALL art criticism/appreciation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:07 

kalmar wrote:
Watched this last night. It is fantastic as you say, but I'm not really able to describe why.

Hooray! And I know just what you mean.

DBS- I think sometimes there is more to a movie than what is explicitly shown on screen. Everything the camera sees and is kept in editing is there for a reason. The reason may be "it looked cool" or "it's the best we could do" or it could be more meaningful. To pick out specific examples of people overreaching for metaphors, does not mean that no movie has any metaphor, or any deeper meaning. The alternative is to say Animal Farm is a story about pigs and stuff innit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:18 
baron of techno

That's the thing - is the clever, "deep meaning" stuff in there intentionally? With some films it is, but often not. Take the ending of two-lane:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the driver is competing in yet another drag race. The sound disappears so you're left to concentrate on the picture, over his shoulder. The film then stops and burns in the projector.

It's a good ending, and seems suitable. But if I try to write down why it'll just sound pretentious :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It reminded me of how pop songs would fade out while repeating the chorus or whatever- ending, but in a way of going on doing the same thing forever because they couldn't figure out how to stop. It's also more than just a fadeout, the frames slow as the car speeds up, so it moves slower and slower while actually moving quicker and quicker (the "real" car, anyway) which is probably one of them fancy juxtaposition things. I don't know what it all means, though! :DD

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next