Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nintendo's Wii
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:18 

I've had my Wii a few months now (I got it to play Mario Galaxy when it came out). So far, I've accumulated and started, but pretty much just scratched the surface of; Resi 4, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Zelda, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Ghost Squad, House of the Dead 2 & 3, and Umbrella Chronicles.

I'm yet to buy the apparently excellent Metroid 3 and Mario Strikers. I'd like to get Pro Evo as well.

That's a whole load of games to play, and I'm not even remotely done with the 40-odd 360 games I have kicking about.

Has anybody else been neglecting their Wii? First port of call is to get a good way into Smash Bros. Then I have to do Galaxy and Zelda, then I must get on with Resi 4.

In summary, the Wii has some smashing games.

Post subject: Re: Nintendo's Wii
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:37 
Comfortably Dumb

Mine's certainly been neglected of late. I've started and enjoyed a fair few games but it's still the 360 that's getting the most attention. I'll get Smash Bros though when I get round to it (weird how I've been waiting for the game to come out for ages and now it's here I've not bought it yet). I've a feeling that Wiiware will see me playing a lot more too, especially when the Alien Crush remake thing comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:38 
Irresponsible member

Yep. The Wii has been left aside. I had a Wii first then bought a 360. I never even considered going online with it. My game line up being:

Wii Sports
Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil 4
Zelda Twilight Princess
Trauma Centre/Center

I nailed SMG and Zelda but have not given RE 4 the attention it deserves. With the 360 I was online in a week and haven't looked back. And that delay was due to me deliberatly finishing Zelda, Dead Rising and GTA IV.

I think the problem for me is that the Wii is 10x more fun when you have mates around and they playing the game with you. But that fun does not feel like it would be the same, in my opinion, online. The only time I break out the Wii is when I have mates over. And then we just play Wii sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:40 
lazy eye patch

I sold my Wii last December to help finance my holiday. I've never regretted it, even though I did really like Super Mario Galaxy.

I am really, really looking forward to picking one up in a year or two, and enjoying the likes of Endless Ocean, Metroid Prime 3, Ghost Squad and *has to think, looks at your post again* erm. Er. Hmm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

Zelda IS a very good game and the one I played the most. It does take a while to get going and is very large.

The controller is a strength and giant weakness. For novel games it works very well, for other things its just fiddly and bloody annoying. Case in point: Splinter Cell. To use that game with the wiimote and nunchuk takes some serious dedication. I sincerely believe a keyboard is the most superior interface device currently in existance, pads be damned.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:50 
Irresponsible member

I do find it weird that a system with such killer games as SMG and Zelda should be so cruelly neglected. The Wii needs to stop having ports from the 360 and *giggle* PS3 and concentrate on it's strengths. A shit hot sword fighting game would go far. Also more stuff like RE4 would be great. I might have to go back and play that properly. But 360 online lure so strong......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 0:58 
Time Out for Fun

Ive recently just finished no more heroes, which was quite good, I quite liked the graphical style despite its roughness and theres some great characters and daftness about it and a knowing sense of it being a videogame brings most of the games humour. Downside is that it is awfully repetitive, basic minigames or more fighting to earn money to pay for entry for your next boss which starts out with more fighting goons until you get to the boss character. The combat is pretty basic aswell and theres not much difficulty except for the bosses but the games a reasonable 10 hours long and it wasnt so much of a chore to stop playing and the game does try to mix things up a bit in the second half.

Its definetly worth a rental and although I have a fair bit negativity towards the game I still came away liking it a quite alot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 
It's all pish

Mario Kart has been taking up idiotic amounts of my time lately. I really need to find the strength of willpower to put it gently to one side, at the very least so I can get back to Pinball Hall of Fame and finally have a good few goes on Castle Shikigami 3 as well.

After a very shaky start, where I barely touched the Wii for a good 6 month period, it's been getting lots of play lately.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:11 
Irresponsible member

No More Heroes was pretty much the only thing I was looking at on the Wii. What is the combat system like? I have read a couple of reviews that say it is a bit sluggish to respond. But I know the Wii can do better than that. Trauma Centre is very sharp with it's response.

Malc: Oh yeah and Mario Kart looks great. But I always felt the randomness of it was lost if you couldn't punch the person you were playing with on the arm for getting a lightning bolt four corners from the finish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:13 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Zelda IS a very good game and the one I played the most. It does take a while to get going and is very large.

The controller is a strength and giant weakness. For novel games it works very well, for other things its just fiddly and bloody annoying. Case in point: Splinter Cell. To use that game with the wiimote and nunchuk takes some serious dedication. I sincerely believe a keyboard is the most superior interface device currently in existance, pads be damned.

I loaded Splinter Cell once, decided the controls weren't worth the effort and put the disc back in the box. Super Mario Galaxy is ace, as is Zelda: TP, and I do love the Virtual Console being so quick and effortless to use, what with it's auto savestates and all.

I also love the fact it'll take the original GC pads for GC games, and it's the only console "this gen" to have 100% always working backwards compatability. Even down to the peripherals.

The online appears to be wank, as I can't get anyone apart from Romanista registered, although that could be ALL YOUR FAULTS. I wouldn't mind picking up Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:18 
It's all pish

Sheepeh wrote:
The online appears to be wank, as I can't get anyone apart from Romanista registered, although that could be ALL YOUR FAULTS.

It's a stupid system for sure, and I gave up adding people ages ago because very few reciprocated and I was left with loads of greyed-out names in my address book, which I then had to remove. I'll add you later on if you've got me on your list.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:19 
Paws for thought

Sheepeh wrote:
I also love the fact it'll take the original GC pads for GC games, and it's the only console "this gen" to have 100% always working backwards compatability. Even down to the peripherals.

Except for the gameboy player.

Anyone want a gameboy player (With optional attached gamecube)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:23 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Malc74 wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:
The online appears to be wank, as I can't get anyone apart from Romanista registered, although that could be ALL YOUR FAULTS.

It's a stupid system for sure, and I gave up adding people ages ago because very few reciprocated and I was left with loads of greyed-out names in my address book, which I then had to remove. I'll add you later on if you've got me on your list.

I still have loads on mine greyed out. If you do add me, send a PM or something so I know you have, and I'll delete and re-add you. It seems to give it a kickstart sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:31 
Time Out for Fun

Steve wrote:
No More Heroes was pretty much the only thing I was looking at on the Wii. What is the combat system like? I have read a couple of reviews that say it is a bit sluggish to respond. But I know the Wii can do better than that. Trauma Centre is very sharp with it's response.

Malc: Oh yeah and Mario Kart looks great. But I always felt the randomness of it was lost if you couldn't punch the person you were playing with on the arm for getting a lightning bolt four corners from the finish.

The controls were alright, its just pretty limited, you lock on with 'z' on the nunchuk which sometimes suffers from old GTA3 lock on problems if you need to lock on a certain person, although this only occurs in one kind of assasins mission. You then press 'A' to swing your lightsaber thing and when the enemies health is low it slows down to do a final slice to him which is either up, left or right, but just moving it in any direction seems to work and wont be a pain for you. You can also attack with 'B' which usually does a kick but every so often it performs a punch yet Ive no idea if theres a certain way to perform either. But anyway punching and kicking can often put the enemy in a daze where you can then press 'B' again to start a wrestling move in which you have to do one of one or two hand movements with both remote and nunchuk which is fine if there both moving the same direction but if ones going right and the other up then often I fail to do the move although this could be my cackhandedness.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:40 
Irresponsible member

Thanks. I may check it out as it is already going cheap. In my mind though it was a semi light sabre slash up.

Does anyone know if the Wii Fit board and the Wiimote work together because I remember some police game in the arcades where you could physically duck down behind cover then pop up and shoot people with a gun. Surely this would be perfect for the wii fit. Anyone remember this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:48 
Kvnt

Quote:
Metroid 3

Prime 3, mate. As excellent a game as it is, it must never be spoken of as being actually Metroidian, and certainly should never be confused with Metroid 3. :p

MR CURMUDGEONLY BITTER SPOD FACE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:05 
Excellent Member

The forthcoming wii exclusive Clone Wars Lightsaber game looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 
Irresponsible member

Yes I have seen this. If it is a good lightsabre fighting game I will be most happy. Do we think it can live up to potential?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:14 

Runcle wrote:
Ive recently just finished no more heroes, which was quite good, I quite liked the graphical style despite its roughness and theres some great characters and daftness about it and a knowing sense of it being a videogame brings most of the games humour. Downside is that it is awfully repetitive, basic minigames or more fighting to earn money to pay for entry for your next boss which starts out with more fighting goons until you get to the boss character. The combat is pretty basic aswell and theres not much difficulty except for the bosses but the games a reasonable 10 hours long and it wasnt so much of a chore to stop playing and the game does try to mix things up a bit in the second half.

Its definetly worth a rental and although I have a fair bit negativity towards the game I still came away liking it a quite alot.

Whoops! I have that too. I played it for an hour or so on the day it came out and it's been on my shelf ever since. I loved it, though. Definitely giving that another go as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:16 

Klatrymadon wrote:
Quote:
Metroid 3

Prime 3, mate. As excellent a game as it is, it must never be spoken of as being actually Metroidian, and certainly should never be confused with Metroid 3. :p

MR CURMUDgEONLY BITTER SPOD FACE

Pff :p

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:28 
Irresponsible member

Never played "Prime 3". In fact I have managed to miss the whole series. Is it as good as I hear? I really want to love the Wii, but not because of waggle controls in some Scarface port. I want games that are made for the controls, not just to use them as some wanky novelty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:36 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Primes 1 and 2 where really good in my opinion. I've been playing Super Metroid on the VC for the first time recently and can really appreciate just how much work went in to making it "Metroidy".

Been playing Paper Mario on the VC as well, it's leading me to pick up the Wii version too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:53 
making out to faces of death

Runcle wrote:
you have to do one of one or two hand movements with both remote and nunchuk which is fine if there both moving the same direction but if ones going right and the other up then often I fail to do the move although this could be my cackhandedness.

It's even more fun when you have them in opposite hands to the way they're shown on screen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:27 
What-ho, chaps!

Mr Dave wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:

Except for the gameboy player.

Anyone want a gameboy player (With optional attached gamecube)

In quite a few cases, the GBP is worth more than the GC. (Same for the GC controllers.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:22 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I have to say mine is neglected somewhat. Partially due to it being in the lounge though, so having to fight for the TV, unlike the 360, but also due to the fact the online is not v good. I have only managed to play 3 games of pro evo that weren't really bad.

One thing curiosity and I did though was to set up a chat session on the 360, then play pro evo on the wii, so we could swear at each other. This did make it a lot more enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm now quite tempted to connect my master system to my 32" LCD tv in the lounge, as previously the gf would have moaned at the 'clutter'. Hooray for freedom!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've turned mine on to play SSB:B, but I soon got bored of that.
The console just doesn't have the power to keep up with the other two. The Wii has better games availible than the PS3, but it's a year older.
Frankly, if I had to sum it up in one word, it'd be 'bad'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 

Yeah mine just doesn't get turned on at all these days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 
Comfortably Dumb

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I'm now quite tempted to connect my master system to my 32" LCD tv in the lounge, as previously the gf would have moaned at the 'clutter'. Hooray for freedom!

It'd be interesting to see how good it looked on a big screen, especially if you've got a Scart lead for it. In front of my TV unit I've got an Amiga and CDI on the floor - must get round to trying those out on it at some point. Although I don't think I've found a CDI game worth playing so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:10 
Participant in dramatic games

it gets turned on for mkwii, and during the ec's for prevo wii (until i won it on 4 stars, the i bought gta 4)

doing GH2 at the moment

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:54 
Hibernating Druid

Mine is criminally underused.

If they sorted the online side of it out even to being half as good as 360 live then it would do so much better.

No mic for MarioKart? - fuck off

No stars for WiiPoints readily available? - fuck off

Add a code for your Wii for friends AND for every sodding game? - fuck off

I do still love it though, and would never sell it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:56 
Time Out for Fun

Im sure everyones nintendo stars expire today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:58 
Paws for thought

Nintendo managed to build up quite a bit of goodwill from me due to the general aceness that was the gamecube. Quite how they've managed to use it all up, and then some, is beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:08 

devilman wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

It'd be interesting to see how good it looked on a big screen, especially if you've got a Scart lead for it. In front of my TV unit I've got an Amiga and CDI on the floor - must get round to trying those out on it at some point. Although I don't think I've found a CDI game worth playing so far.

Surprisingly good, bear in mind only the MS1 and French MS2s can output RGB.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Hmm.. that's a point - I killed my Master System 1 by plugging a NES PSU into it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 13:20 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Runcle wrote:

This reminded me to have a look for wii points cards, and there were 200 left(!!) by the time I had clicked confrim, they had all gone!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 14:39 
Kvnt

Sheepeh wrote:
I've been playing Super Metroid on the VC for the first time recently and can really appreciate just how much work went in to making it "Metroidy".

Glad you're enjoying it, mate. A lot of people who start with the Primes don't seem to "get" SM, which is a shame, because now that there are essentially two audiences, no future Metroid game can ever please both of them. Even if the next game completely nipped all of the artistic deviations made in the Prime games in the bud, and was a console-based 2D adventure with intricate, cleverly-interwoven areas, an emphasis on downward movement into an alien, subterranean environment and sported the most lucidly Metroidy artwork and music since the third game, there'd still be hundreds of thousands of people pissing and moaning for a familiar, Earthly strafe-and-shoot game with more NPCs and dialogue.

Ah, what I wouldn't give to be able to play through it for the first time again... :'(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 14:58 
Paws for thought

I never played Metroid prime 3 as I heard it had NPC interaction. Entirely spoiling the excellent atmosphere of the first (and to a lesser degree, second) games in that series.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:00 
Sleepyhead

I almost never use my Wii.

I have a few games for it, but never really get the time/inclination to play any of them on one player, and the internet mode suffers massively from no headsets and a stupid Wii code thing.

Also, I couldn't really get into Mario Galaxy, as whilst the controls were fun, it was just a bit slow for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:11 
Kvnt

Runcle wrote:

They seem to have lost my login details anyway. I have about 8000 stars, but apparently I don't exist any more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:29 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

My Wii has been sitting there fore a while, not really doing much as well.

I think I just need to get more games - I tend to get tired of one, then get really into another for a week, then tire of that one. If I have enough games, I'm constantly playing, if I only have three or four, I go in fits and starts.

So, who wants to sell me some unused Wii games?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:33 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

You should by my copy of Splinter Cell, Criticall Acclaimed by ComicalGnomes. It's ace. Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:35 
Comfortably Dumb

Squirt wrote:
My Wii has been sitting there fore a while, not really doing much as well.

I think I just need to get more games - I tend to get tired of one, then get really into another for a week, then tire of that one. If I have enough games, I'm constantly playing, if I only have three or four, I go in fits and starts.

So, who wants to sell me some unused Wii games?

Maybe I need to start up a lending library as my Wii games aren't getting much attention - I've not played Eledees, Nights, Dragon Ball Z - Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Metal Slug Anthology and some boxing game that got a good review in N-Gamer. Barely started Superstar Tennis and Tomb Raider Anniversary too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:54 

Mario Galaxy just gets better and better the further you progress.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 16:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, it got so good I stopped playing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 17:19 
Hibernating Druid

Runcle wrote:

If that's true I'm sending NOE 4,000 star shaped turds.

What an effing pisstake.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 17:34 
Time Out for Fun

might be end of july but I know its darn soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Zardoz wrote:
No stars for WiiPoints readily available? - fuck off

Just thought I'd have a nose on their site and they've actually got some in! :o

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:22 

What a fucking joke - they've got some 1000 point cards, but no 100 point cards.

Actually, what am I complaining about? I can't download anything without deleting something else, so there's no point in bothering.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:59 

And they've probably deleted all your stars by now anyway.

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next