And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 2D Platformers are "Wiily" back - 2D Wario & 'NES' Megaman
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 19:05 
I forgot about this - how vain

Ret'con'd the thread because why not
Wario Land: Shake it

It's a proper high budget 2D platformer on a home console in space year 2008 - yeay!

Looks damn good to me.

Mega Man 9
Well this is bloomin' interesting! Way back when, I remember Anthony Flack making a wonderful case about how graphics had come full circle and we were allowed to be silly and/or pretty and/or cheap and/or 2D and that appreciation of 'retro' graphics and were allowing design to come to the forefront again. And as such art in games was about to enter a golden age.*

Well it seems the first signs of confidence in that philosophy have showed up today. In Megaman 9 of all places.

I've never played Megaman, but I'm really excited by the fact that a proper sequal with just a number and not a subtitle is being made. Why? Because...

It's on WiiWare - and it has 'NES Graphics'!

Bascially they are making another NES game. In 2007, and releasing it on WiiWare. Thats amazing.

Slighty to small scans here:

A bunch of gubbins about it:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Dreams do come true. The new issue of Nintendo Power is hitting mailboxes, and inside is the scoop on what we've been waiting for: Solid, concrete proof of Mega Man 9.

While there is no confirmation yet of its existence as a game for Xbox Live Arcade or the PlayStation Network, at least we do now know that it will be a downloadable game in a place where it most makes sense: WiiWare.

Further, the rumors of an 8-bit artstyle were not only true, but quite literal: So far, this looks just like one of the NES games, rather than the later fare of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8, each of which has its fans and detractors.

So what's the story? Apparently the rumor of a more "standard" story holds true as well, as robots are on the rampage, and Dr. Wily is back; only this time, he says that the robot attacks are the fault of Mega Man's creator, Dr. Light. And so it falls to Mega Man to prove his creator's innocence.

So who are the bad boys of metal musculature causing this high-tech havoc? The roster reads thusly: Magma Man, Galaxy Man, Jewel Man, Concrete Man, Hornet Man, Plug Man, Tornado Man, and Splash... Woman?

They each inhabit a trap-filled lair that reflects their respective themes, leading to Mega Man traversing molten material in Magma Man's domain, while Tornado Man's stage features spinning magnetic platforms which allow the Blue Bomber to defy gravity. And Plug Man's stage features certain walls that will force the Titanium Titan to square off against shadowy dopplegangers when he walks past.

And of course, when a Robot Master gets pwned, Mega Man will acquire their special weapons for his own personal arsenal, such as Galaxy Man's Black Hole Bombs, for which he'll have to find the next boss in line to whom it works against. Hmm, Black Hole Bomb? I bet Hornet Man might have a hard time escaping that...

The article also provides some insights from franchise mastermind Keiji Inafune of Capcom, who these days is perhaps better known for such fare as Onimusha, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet. According to Inafune, the simple fun of a classic Mega Man game "doesn't fit into the grandiose and expansive world that the consumer gaming industry has become, and so you have to make games that match the current expectations."

He goes on to say that if he did push to have a new game like the classic Mega Man made, it would be criticized for things like being simplistic, outdated, or too expensive, thus making it too difficult to bring it out in the current climate. And that's where programs like WiiWare come in, from which the popularity of retrogaming services such as the Virtual Console lead to the group to decide to make a new "NES" game.

The new game is being developed by Inti Creates, who have a wealth of experience in the Mega Man franchise with their creation of the Mega Man Zero and ZX titles, plus MegaMan Battle Chip Challenge. In addition, to celebrate Mega Man's 20th anniversary, Mega Man ZX Advent featured a mini game of three levels made in the NES Mega Man style.

For controlling the Blue Bomber, players will be able to hold the Wii Remote sideways in NES-style, with the control pad moving Mega Man and the two buttons set to Jump and Fire. Doesn't look like there will be any flashy shaking going on here.

But while he says there are no new mechanical devices for Mega Man to obtain, Inafune states that the robodog Rush makes a triumphant return, as they wanted to make sure some of the other classic characters are in.

The reason for the return to NES-style graphics is due to the desire to please longtime fans who wanted to play a new game that was like the originals. In addition, the popularity of retro graphics on things like t-shirts and other paraphernalia "made it seem like the right time" to bring out an oldschool game. Plus, they wanted to show what the upper-limits of 8-bit graphics could do.

But will we get to see an 8-bit Bass and Treble?

And in addition to the graphics, the music will be styled in an 8-bit fashion, as well as 8-bit styled cinema cutscenes. "I am sure when people see the opening scenes- new content with 8-bit graphics- they're going to be very excited."

In terms of difficulty, Inafune says they aren't holding back for players whose reflexes might have deteriorated over the years, but they will try to keep it as close to that of the NES games as possible. Sounds good to me.

While the "cycloptic monsters" (aka Devils) won't be in, Inafune promises lots of exciting new bosses, plus the return of mainstay series cannon-fodder such as Sniper Joes and Mets.

Rumors suggested that Mega Man's mysterious older brother, Proto Man, would be playable, but when asked of other playable characters, Inafune said that it's classified; "you'll have to wait and see."

With Mega Man 2 as the most highly regarded of the series, Inafune states that he'd like to surpass that with this game, and hopefully be able to make "a whole lot more."

And finally, to the Mega Man fans, he says: "The moment you've been waiting for is here! We're not just giving you Mega Man 9, we're giving you a new NES game. This is a game that brings back the fun of the old games, and I hope you all enjoy it!"

Be sure to check out The Mega Man Network for the other scans from the article and a peek at the included screens, and check out the new issue of Nintendo Power for the full interview.

(All this mercessly stolen form the Penny Arcade thread about it, which stole it of NeoGAF and so on.)

* He probably said nothing like that, but thats how my memory remembers it.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Post subject: Re: Megaman 9 is actually interesting!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:20 
Kvnt

Aye, absolutely cannot wait for this. I love the first 6 Mega Man games.

It's being handled by the same folks who did the minigame in ZX Advent:

Which is a pretty swish "proof of concept" type thing. I think MM9's in safe hands. :)

(The tune in this video is a 4-channel re-imagining of a DS-based tune, so I think it's safe to assume the original compositions for the new game will have much catchier melodies to 'em. The NES Mega Mans are famous for that, y'see.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 14:56 
Honey Boo Boo

Lovely. Mega Man 3 is one of my all-time favourite NES games. Maybe they can add the super jump cheat from Mega Man 3 (hold right on the dpad of controller 2)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 15:02 
Rude Belittler

Megaman is never interesting

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 16:00 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:
Megaman is never interesting

snore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 19:00 

Regardless of your views on megaman (as I said I've never played it) Its incredibly exciting that games companies are deciding that making new games for old consoles (kinda) is viable.

New Megadrive based Sonic? Or Snes based Mario? Yes please!

Or maybe they'll go one step further and just make high quality sprite based new games!

LET ME DREAM!

Post subject: Re: The new Megaman game (Megaman 9) is actually interesting!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 19:58 
Kvnt

Quote:
Lovely. Mega Man 3 is one of my all-time favourite NES games.

I'm glad someone else likes it! Maybe it's just because it was the one I grew up with, but I've always held MM3 as the best game in the 'original' series. I certainly think it's a stronger game than the constantly-masturbated-over MM2, and was gutted to hear that Keiji Inafune sees it as something of a failure.

On a happier note, I think you'll like this:

:DD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 21:50 

So you two, If I wanted to give Megaman a go where would you recommend I should start?

Megaman 1 on the NES or skip straight to 2? Or something else?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 22:36 
Kvnt

The first one's probably a bit too frustrating to actually get anybody into the series now. Start with 2 or 3, aye. :)

Check out Mega Man X on the SNES, as well. Lovely stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 23:11 
Worst

Yeah, Megaman X was well good. Shame Zy Nicholson turned me off it when Super Metroid came out; didn't get it for ages after that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 0:08 
Honey Boo Boo

klatrymadon, that would have been the greatest video ever even if it has just been them singing the password screen music. But it kept going, until I almost choked when he switches to the Gemini Laser and there's a chorus of 'BEAM!' every time he fires it.

That's without going into their rendition of the 'whistling' that indicates Protoman's arrival or the brilliant rendition of the industrial march of Sparkman's stage.

Having played a lot of the games (including the first two on a proper Japanese Famicom) I think two or three are probably the best... I was never convinced by four (what with the Mega Buster) or any of those that followed as much as I had been by three.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 0:11 

Right I'll find 2 and 3 then.

I wonder if they are on the VC yet? Seems to make sense if they're putting 9 on WiiWare.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 0:54 
Kvnt

Glad you liked it, MetalAngel. I know it's easy to talk about great Mega Man tunes, because all of the NES, SNES and GB/GBA games are chock full of them, but I really think Spark Man's theme is one of the best pieces of videogame music ever written.

Needle Man, Snake Man and Hard Man all have fantastic themes, too. And the first Wily theme. Bah, it's all ace. :D

Edit: aye, I'm pretty sure a couple of 'em are on the VC now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 15:10 

Ohh, turns out Mega Man 9 is multiplatform, It's coming to WiiWare, XBLA and whatever the PS3 has.

Hmmm, so it will be a toss up between the 360 where I don't have to worry about hard drive space versus my full to the brim Wii which actually has a dpad.

Wii it is then.

Oh and I checked the VC has Mega Man 1 and 2. With a space no less. I'll probably pick 2 up to try it out - but I suspect I'll get MM9 regardless to just encourage people to do this kind of thing more often.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 15:15 
Comfortably Dumb

Did this ever come out over here? I'd eyed the Cube version up for a good while but I don't think it ever materialised.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 15:22 

No idea. And that would be great - but I've been led to believe that Mega Man has a lot of difficult and precise platforming and there is no way in hell that you are getting me to attempt that with the Wavebirds shitty dpad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 19:58 
Honey Boo Boo

It's settled. I'm definitely buying it.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to finally get an NES emulator going on my old Xbox so I can play Megaman 3 again.

And, while I'm at it, the Lone Ranger.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 20:06 
Kvnt

devilman wrote:
Did this ever come out over here?

Unfortunately not, mate. It's well worth picking up an American copy and a Freeloader disc for your GameCube, though (or the American PS2 version, if your console's import-friendly; they switched the jump and shoot buttons in the GC one, making the whole thing feel a bit awkward at first).

The Mega Man X Collection is fantastic, too. You might also want to pick up a Hori controller for its larger D-pad and general SNES controller similarity. :)

Post subject: Re: 2D Platformers are "Wiily" back - 2D Wario & 'NES' Megaman
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:43 

Generalized the thread a liittle as it appears that

1) MM9 won't be coming to XBLA and PSN.

2) Wario Land: Shake it - is a proper 2D platformer on my TV! Yoinks!

WATCH THE YOUTUBE VID IN OP, OK?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:00 

Gosh it even has Saturday Morning Television style cut scenes.

Assuming it's not as awful as the Wario DS game then this has shot to the top of my most wanted list.

And it seems to becoming out in July 24th in Japan. So it seems Nintendo are sticking to their guns about not talking about games till they are nearly ready now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ah, man - I thought that said they are 'Willy' back and Jet Set Willy was going to be remade.
Bah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:06 

Grim... wrote:
Ah, man - I thought that said they are 'Willy' back and Jet Set Willy was going to be remade.
Bah.

It was a pun for LewieP. He loves them see.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:30 

Well I'm excited over the new Wario game (Megaman not so much). I've been waiting for games to look like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:40 
Hibernating Druid

Lave wrote:
Ohh, turns out Mega Man 9 is multiplatform, It's coming to WiiWare, XBLA and whatever the PS3 has.

Hmmm, so it will be a toss up between the 360 where I don't have to worry about hard drive space versus my full to the brim Wii which actually has a dpad.

360 then. Achievements & Hori stick FTW!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:44 

Zardoz wrote:
Lave wrote:

360 then. Achievements & Hori stick FTW!

Ahem
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-UHWI-18-Fi ... 788&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:50 

Oh yeah, they are now saying that MM 9 is NOT coming out on XBLA. Different sources say different things.

Looks to me like it might be some timed exclusive bullshit.

That and bollocks to arcade sticks for platformers. The dpad reigns king. And lets be honest, the Wii is the only console to come shipped with a dpad.

*glares at 360 controller*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:52 
Hibernating Druid

Fuck it then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:58 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
Fuck it then.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:08 

You guys don't have Wii's then? Or just a boner for achievements?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:16 
Hibernating Druid

I have a Wii, just would have prefered to have it as an XBLA title.

I WILL NOT buy Wii points when I have stars that should have been swapped for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:27 

Zardoz wrote:
I have a Wii, just would have prefered to have it as an XBLA title.

I WILL NOT buy Wii points when I have stars that should have been swapped for them.

Poor Zardoz. I exchanged all my Stars for WiiPoints. No probs! Ha ha!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:05 
Excellent Member

MetalAngel wrote:

In the meantime, I'm going to have to finally get an NES emulator going on my old Xbox so I can play Megaman 3 again.

Grab yourself Twilight Princess (or rent it) and install yourself some home-brew goodness on the Wii. The Classic controller is THE best thing for emulating old games. The d-pad is perfect on it and it feels just right for snes games. Haven't tried any nes ones yet but I'm pretty sure there's a decent emulator floating around.

Also new 2D platformers...this cannot be a bad thing!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:20 
Hibernating Druid

Mr_Grinch wrote:
Grab yourself Twilight Princess (or rent it) and install yourself some home-brew goodness on the Wii.

More info please.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:26 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Mr_Grinch wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

Grab yourself Twilight Princess (or rent it) and install yourself some home-brew goodness on the Wii. The Classic controller is THE best thing for emulating old games. The d-pad is perfect on it and it feels just right for snes games. Haven't tried any nes ones yet but I'm pretty sure there's a decent emulator floating around.

Sorry, man. That vuln got fixed in the latest firmware update. Unless they've broken it again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:45 
Excellent Member

Sheepeh wrote:
Mr_Grinch wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

Sorry, man. That vuln got fixed in the latest firmware update. Unless they've broken it again?

It's broken again.

More info coming soon, in the mean time see:

http://www.wiibrew.org

::edit:: More info is here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1211

Details on how to install the hack and a snes emu, but the nes emulator is the same principle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:24 
SavyGamer

Lave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bah.

It was a pun for LewieP. He loves them see.

This is true.

Also, I cannot wait for Megaman 9, the new Wario looks like Warioland 5, and also LostWinds is a really good modern 2D platformer that everyone should check out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 18:13 

Lave wrote:
Regardless of your views on megaman (as I said I've never played it) Its incredibly exciting that games companies are deciding that making new games for old consoles (kinda) is viable.

Or maybe they'll go one step further and just make high quality sprite based new games!

LET ME DREAM!

Well, we've DS based Mario and Yoshi and Kirby, utilising new things better than simply having higher res sprites, which has been continued on the Wii with Lost Winds and Super Paper Mario. The best 8/16 bit platofrmers (or anything really) occurred when programmers ued the system well, either through pushing the hardware or using it creatively. The asm holds true for current generations, limp motion/touch additions aside, the current Nintendo platofrms are platformer heaven when used right.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 23:44 
Kvnt

By the way, if anybody missed out on Wario Land 4 on the GBA, buy/download it as soon as you can. It's absolutely brilliant.

In fact, for a Nintendo IP, the whole Wario Land series is shockingly underrated, or un-talked-about. Wario World on GC was great while it lasted, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 23:53 

Goatboy wrote:
Lave wrote:

LET ME DREAM!

Well, we've DS based Mario and Yoshi and Kirby, utilising new things better than simply having higher res sprites, which has been continued on the Wii with Lost Winds and Super Paper Mario. The best 8/16 bit platofrmers (or anything really) occurred when programmers ued the system well, either through pushing the hardware or using it creatively. The asm holds true for current generations, limp motion/touch additions aside, the current Nintendo platofrms are platformer heaven when used right.

Oh I completely agree. There have been a number of really superb 2D platformers in recent years. I just wish we had more ones on the big old tele, rather than squinting at my DS. But still they easily surpass the best games of the golden age of platformers.
Lave-O-List

NSMB is one of the best platformers ever made. I was a SEGA boy growing up so I've only really played the Mario games in a very short and recent window, and nostalgia aside, it's by far the best 2D Mario (MB3 being 2nd, and SMW being surprisingly shit).

Kirby's Canvas Curse Is a game that should be a really big deal, but people don't seem to care. It's wonderful. I wish the mechanics had caught on.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: was really, really good. Though I never stuck with the sequel.

But yeah, I'm really, really looking forward to new 2D platformers on the TV screen.

LostWinds is £7 for 3 hours of platforming joy. I'll buy the sequel in a heartbeat.

I wanted Paper Mario, but really kinda disliked a thousand year door, which put me of picking up this, as I figured it wasn't platformey enough.

Oooh, Wario Land 4 you say....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 0:00 
Kvnt

Quote:
I wanted Paper Mario, but really kinda disliked a thousand year door, which put me of picking up this, as I figured it wasn't platformey enough.

Apparently it's much less of an RPG and much more action-oriented than the first two PM games, but if you still don't fancy it, keep your eyes peeled for a PC game called Fez. It seems to take all of SPM's more interesting play mechanics (such as flipping the world around so that objects in the background become things you can walk over, etc) and run with them.

Look! :DD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 0:27 

Klatrymadon wrote:
By the way, if anybody missed out on Wario Land 4 on the GBA, buy/download it as soon as you can. It's absolutely brilliant.

In fact, for a Nintendo IP, the whole Wario Land series is shockingly underrated, or un-talked-about. Wario World on GC was great while it lasted, too.

Ooh, just demo'd it with nefarious means and it's splendid. Got a copy winging it's way to me now from Amazon for just over a £5. Bad Lave. But it can sit in my Micro for the bus trip home. Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 0:35 
Kvnt

You're very welcome! Glad you like it!

£5's a totally righteous price. Box/manual? Let's hope it's not by Nintondo! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 0:38 

Thats why I always go with amazon, as their marketplace refund thingy is brilliant. Normally costs a couple of quid more than ebay though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:05 
SavyGamer

Wario 4 is really well designed. The lives/currency/scoring system is ace.

Bad Lave! SMW is sexcellenticious.

I think I am going to have to play a bit of Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat too. One of my favourite 2D platformers ever.

I should get around to finishing Knytt Stories too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:11 
Kvnt

Quote:
I think I am going to have to play a bit of Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat too. One of my favourite 2D platformers ever.

I really want to try that. How much do the bongos usually go for, mate?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:13 

LewieP wrote:
Wario 4 is really well designed. The lives/currency/scoring system is ace.

Bad Lave! SMW is sexcellenticious.

I should get around to finishing Knytt Stories too.

SMW has annoying diffculty spikes and stupid needed secret exits. Still great though. Just least great.

Hell yeah on DK:JB - my only problem is it too loud to play which means I never really get to play it at the moment. Wouldn't have it any other way mind!

EDIT: Klarty, totally worth it. Probably best to pick up DK:JB on it's own, and then the bongos with a copy of Konga I or II. That would probably be cheapest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:19 
SavyGamer

I'll have a look around now for exactly what is cheapest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:33 
SavyGamer

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat + Bongo's, Gamecube - £12 delivered

Let me know if/when you have ordered it, because I might post that deal on my blog, but there is only 2 in stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:35 

BUY THAT!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 

They're £12 used in Gamestation too as a backup.

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next