Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dead by Daylight for PS4 and PC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

At it's heart, this is an asymetrical multiplayer game. One person plays a killer, who has a certain supernatural power or tech advantage (for example, The Wraith can cloak, and the Hillbilly has a chainsaw). The survivor team is up to four players, and they run around trying to repair five of the seven generators, after which they can open a gate (there are two gates) and run away from the killer. You know the killer's close when your heartbeat starts getting loud. You know they're really close when "o fuk you gon di" music starts playing.

The killer has to hit the survivors until they're incapped (which takes two hits) and then carry them to a hook, to feed 'the entity' which is causing everyone to relive the same night over and over again. The survivors take quite a while to die on the hooks, and they can be helped off them (they can also get themselves free, but it's really unlikely to work and speeds up your 'dying on the hook' timer).

That's it.

It's a really well-made co-op experience. There's no in-game chat, so people just have to get on with things. The survivors run off and either fix generators, clean up totems, sabotage hooks or - if you're Craster - stand in a cupboard.
Fixing generators takes a long time, and involves several RTE skill checks. Fail a check (and they're pretty tricky) and the generator backfires, causing it to be highlighted on the killer's screen. It also sets the repair back around 10%, which is infuriating.
Totems are found dotted around the map, and cleaning up a 'lit' one will cancel one of the killer's perks (more on them later). This takes a little while, but is much faster than fixing a generator and there are no skill checks.
If you've got a toolbox (either because you bought one with some bloodpoints that you earn by playing, or you find one in a chest) you can sabotage hooks - this means that the killer may have to walk further to hang you up, giving you more time to wriggle free. You have to pass skill checks while sabotaging the hooks, otherwise they - er - explode, like the generators do.
Finally, you can spawn really close to the killer and hide in a cupboard, only for the killer to decide to camp your area of the map so you can't come out of the cupboard. The game actively discourages this - if a survivor stays still for too long crows start to circle around their heads (or stand on top of the cupboard), and the killer wanders up to you and punches you in the face.
Once five generators are powered up, the two gates around the map activate, and you can open them. They take around ten nano-seconds or eleventy billion years to open (depending on what side you are playing on) and then the survivors can run away.

The killer loses if anyone escapes, and they can prevent this by smacking people in the head. This sounds simple, but you're only slightly faster than the survivors and not as agile, so the buggers jump over fences or pull a pallet down in front of you and you have to slow down to deal with it, and it's dark out there and the fuckers are gone. Once they've smacked them in the head enough they can be carried to a hook, but the survivor likes to wriggle while this is happening, which makes it hard to walk in a straight line and eventually they're wriggle free and run the fuck away. Assuming you make it to a hook you can hang them on it, and then you have to make a decision: if you stand around making sure they're not rescued the other survivors will be merrily fixing generators without any worries, but if you run off to fuck up the other survivors then you can fucking guarantee one of the sneaky twats will pull your prize from the hook.

Win (or lose) a game and you'll get bloodpoints, which you can spend on items, perks or offerings (buying stuff also levels you up, which unlocks more inventory slots) you can take to your next match. There are a lot of perks and offerings, but only a few items (toolboxes help you repair faster, health kits let you heal yourself and torches can blind the monster). Perks do things like give you a 30% chance of the generator not exploding if you fail a skill check, or make you run 20% faster for 5 seconds after you jump a ledge. Offerings are consumed before the match, and might make it a little darker or make it more likely to go to a certain map. Killers have perks and offerings too, and they can upgrade their weapons.

If the survivors take an item to a map and don't escape, fuck them, it's gone forever. Also, items are limited use: if they run out of uses then fuck them, it's gone forever.

The game is tense as shit, we're terrible at it, there's a lot wrong (the graphics are a bit glitchy, it'd be cool if you could kill people in other ways beside the hooks, the items are pretty limited) but it's buckets of fun.

We normally play as survivors with party chat, which gives us a huge advantage (normally survivors can't communicate), but we still mostly lose.

We'll no doubt be playing Murderator again tonight. Until midnight, at which point we'll all be playing Mud Trucks 2.

Post subject: Re: Dead by Daylight for PS4 and PC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Last night Riles, Craster and I were playing, and lucked into a game with two fantastic randos. The killer was efficient as fuck and hung Cras, Riles and I up many times, but Rambo the Rando would always run over and save us, healing us with a seemingly neverending medkit once he did so.
Eventually we repaired five generators and ran for the exits. The killer went for Rambo and Cras (Riles had died), and as I wasn't injured I ran in draw the killer away before losing him and scooting back to the gate. I did the first part of the plan really well, but failed with the 'getting away' part, and was beaten to the ground. Rambo and Cras had escaped by then, so they couldn't help, but the killer didn't know that and ran off to see if he could get them. I started crawling slowly toward the other exit, but the killer soon came back to kill me, standing imposingly over the tiny Asian lady I play as.
As there's no way to communicate, I decided that spinning my survivor in a circle on the ground would maybe give the impression of "good game, well played". The killer span around too. We did a little improvised dance together.
Then he hauled me onto his shoulder, carried me to the exit, and set me down so I could get my points for escaping.

It was a truly magical moment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It is at times properly terrifying. They have the feeling of OH SHIT OH SHIT I GOIN GET MURDERED absolutely down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:38 
UltraMod

Haha nice!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 16:01 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Looks good, downloading, I'll have it by tonight. But yeah, I'm totally getting my truck stuck in mud then getting the truck I'm trying to use to rescue it stuck as well at midnight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 18:03 
Hibernating Druid

Is this the end for KF2?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 18:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Not convinced it has the longevity. But depends what trucks in mud is like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 18:45 

It has arrived! Do I have to do any silly intro shit or can I just get right on with the dying? I get in from work about 9:15 tonight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 19:17 
Hibernating Druid

Trucks and mud?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 19:33 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Wookie. You’ll want to read the funguide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =718026429

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 19:48 

God, that was all kinds of fun. I'll be sure to quote it where possible.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nooooo go in blind

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Damnit!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 19:49 

Too late. To be fair your description covered most stuff anyway. Be prepared to shout at me for getting you all killed to death.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]