Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:14 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
Hooters is rubbish anyway. At least it is in Nottingham.

I was in Nottingham on a stag do and we didn't go there for food we went to the place with the Clough statue outside it. After that, we lost contact with the main group after we ended up in Boiler Maker. Using our Fine Minds we went to Flirtz but they weren't there, either, so we did our bit for student debt.didn't go on a tram, either. Some pubs were good, though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:16 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Rubbish because why?

Personally I'd never step foot in one unless I was physically made to (or made via peer pressure at any rate - I'm weak - ended up at strip club for Cras's stag... brrrr), as I think they're exploitative, demeaning and ghastly.

Exploitative how? Maybe exploiting the customers. Sounds like you don't want to allow women their own agency… how patriarchal! ;)

The food is rubbish and the atmosphere is too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Rubbish because why?

Personally I'd never step foot in one unless I was physically made to (or made via peer pressure at any rate - I'm weak - ended up at strip club for Cras's stag... brrrr), as I think they're exploitative, demeaning and ghastly.

Exploitative how? Maybe exploiting the customers. Sounds like you don't want to allow women their own agency… how patriarchal! ;)

Nice try, mypsy. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:19 
UltraMod

I'm not a massive fan of strip clubs myself, but I am happy for them to exist as long as the workers are paid well and enjoy their work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:21 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
I'm not a massive fan of strip clubs myself, but I am happy for them to exist as long as the workers are paid well and enjoy their work.

Genuine, non piss-takey question, but do you think the same about sex workers?

It's something Ruth and I have had a few conversations about and I'm still not wholly sure where I land on it. instinctive liberal lefty approach is "of course women should be allowed to do this, it's fine, what people decide to do in a private consensual transaction is up to them" but the empirical evidence tends towards the fact that it still ends up being vaguely exploitative if not a mask for illegal people trafficking. She's more liberal on this than me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:24 

MrChris wrote:
It's something Ruth and I have had a few conversations about and I'm still not wholly sure where I land on it. instinctive liberal lefty approach is "of course women should be allowed to do this, it's fine, what people decide to do in a private consensual transaction is up to them" but the empirical evidence tends towards the fact that it still ends up being vaguely exploitative if not a mask for illegal people trafficking. She's more liberal on this than me.

IMO, that's more of a discussion around whether sex work should be legalised and regulated. As far as I'm concerned, I'm with the "liberal lefty approach" - if that's what people want to do, and it's all consensual then go for it.

The issues lie where there's no (or coerced) consent, i.e. with the trafficking. Legalisation would go quite a long way to sorting that out, I feel. Although apparently it is still quite a big problem in Amsterdam, so who knows. It would at least give those affected a "proper support channel" though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:27 
INFINITE POWAH

GazChap wrote:
MrChris wrote:

IMO, that's more of a discussion around whether sex work should be legalised and regulated. As far as I'm concerned, I'm with the "liberal lefty approach" - if that's what people want to do, and it's all consensual then go for it.

The issues lie where there's no (or coerced) consent, i.e. with the trafficking. Legalisation would go quite a long way to sorting that out, I feel. Although apparently it is still quite a big problem in Amsterdam, so who knows. It would at least give those affected a "proper support channel" though.

That's what I thought, but that's the problem. From what I've read (albeit on the Guardian) it has provided a "legitimate" channel for people trafficking, so has perhaps vaguely reduced the net negative slightly, but not that much. But yes, the basic moral position can't really be anything other than "why the hell shouldn't women or men do what they want in terms of selling their bodies" but then real life doesn't make that easy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:39 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yes I'm fine with it, with some caveats. You could argue that delivering Amazon parcels on a zero-hours contract is more exploitative than doing cam or phone work from home, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:42 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yes I'm fine with it, with some caveats. You could argue that delivering Amazon parcels on a zero-hours contract is more exploitative than doing cam or phone work from home, for example.

You could probably earn more on a cam. Well... not you specifically.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Rajesh brought me an Amazon Echo last night on his little scooter and I thought of you, mypsy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yeah, that's certainly potentially true.

Prostitution though... Dunno. It's definitely one of those ones where the answer can't really be anything other than "it's a bit more complicated than that" regardless of the question.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:44 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

You could probably earn more on a cam. Well... not you specifically.

I think Myp almost certainly could ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't think I've ever seen the same Amazon delivery driver more than once.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:45 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen the same Amazon delivery driver more than once.

I don't think I've seen one. Pickup lockers for the win.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:45 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Rajesh brought me an Amazon Echo last night on his little scooter and I thought of you, mypsy.

That would be quite fun I think. Better than driving through the centre of Loughborough in a big Mercedes where it's all double yellow lines and a one-way system.

Derbyshire villages are my favourite. The local pubs will take customer parcels and always loads of places to park.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:

That would be quite fun I think. Better than driving through the centre of Loughborough in a big Mercedes where it's all double yellow lines and a one-way system.

Derbyshire villages are my favourite. The local pubs will take customer parcels and always loads of places to park.

I was skim reading and initially I read that last word as "wank".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:53 
Prince of Fops

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

wot's ur camtag m8?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:35 
INFINITE POWAH

It's genuinely shocking how far the world has moved on in such a short space of time. I don't think people often sit back and really consider the implications for human relationships, interactions and culture of the fact that not fifteen years ago your best bet of communicating with someone was a letter that would take several days to get to them, and so a response might take a couple of weeks. But now? Now the world is so much smaller, relationships can be maintained where once they might have withered from something mighty to next to nothing, like a decades old elm with a filthy foreign disease. Now though? Now? It's a thing of absolute beauty. One of mankind's most amazing achievements - the world is so much smaller than it used to be. Now the world is just as small as your room or as big as your imagination. Now? Now I can sit here on the other side of the world and say:

MYP!

MYP!

YOU'RE A CUNT!

And it's instant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:37 
Unpossible!

Keep drinking Chris, I've got a free afternoon.

Giphy "popcorn":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/aTjmAp0qPAGcw/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:38 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:

Oh, funny. I've had three beers and I'm now off to bed. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:38 
Unpossible!

MrChris wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Oh, funny. I've had three beers and I'm now off to bed. :)

BOOO!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:43 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
It's genuinely shocking how far the world has moved on in such a short space of time. I don't think people often sit back and really consider the implications for human relationships, interactions and culture of the fact that not fifteen years ago your best bet of communicating with someone was a letter that would take several days to get to them, and so a response might take a couple of weeks. But now? Now the world is so much smaller, relationships can be maintained where once they might have withered from something mighty to next to nothing, like a decades old elm with a filthy foreign disease. Now though? Now? It's a thing of absolute beauty. One of mankind's most amazing achievements - the world is so much smaller than it used to be. Now the world is just as small as your room or as big as your imagination. Now? Now I can sit here on the other side of the world and say:

MYP!

MYP!

YOU'RE A CUNT!

And it's instant.

It took eight minutes because I was doing something else.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:44 
INFINITE POWAH

I love you man. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:

I went to Hooters in Nottingham on a stag do. I remember the food being okay, the beer being highly plentiful, and our waitress being properly fit.

And then I remember feeling sad when the people from a table near us got their waitress to take a photo of them while they stood with our waitress, as theirs wasn't as pretty (or... Um... As "hootery").

And there was a crown for the BEER KING.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:46 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:

You're drunk. Get away from me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:47 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Grim... wrote:

Tell me more!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:48 
INFINITE POWAH

(a) 3 pints
(B) victim blaming is beneath you

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:48 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

You're drunk. Get away from me.

He's clearly not that drunk - he's not yet asleep.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Squirt wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Tell me more!

BEER KING didn't have to fetch (or pour) his own beer - someone did it for him. You could challenge the BEER KING every now and again to WIN THE CROWN - the challenge could be anything that the BEER KING had a reasonable chance of winning (so no "tallest wins", more "paper scissors stone").

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 20:20 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Some observations about driving on motorways:

1. A lot of car drivers don't like being passed by vans. I'll be on cruise control at 67mph (because the odometer in the van says I'm doing 70, while the sat nav and dash cam both say it's only 67, but telematics will squeal at me if I drive at 70 as it's linked to the odometer, not the actual speed on the road). I'll pass someone on who's dawdling along in lane two at 65mph and almost immediately they'll overtake me and then gradually slow down again ... until I pass them again, and so the cycle continues until one of us leaves the motorway or traffic build up gets in the way of our little game of leap frog.

b) A lot of drivers appear to be scared of driving in lane 3. They'll come up behind me when I'm in lane 2 and slow down to stay behind me, even though lane 3 is clear and there's nothing coming up behind, so nothing to stop them overtaking. As soon as I move back into lane 1, they'll pass me.

iii) Let's not talk about members of the Lane Two Owner's Club.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 21:37 
UltraMod

Oh yeah B is really annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 

Mr Bloom has just started on CBeebies. I have reassessed my feelings about him. I used to find him really, really irritating, but now I think he is lovely and also rather pretty to look at.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 

So he's grown on you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:23 
sneering elitist

Warhead wrote:
iii) Let's not talk about members of the Lane Two Owner's Club.

"middle lane wankers"

I fucking hate the way some people drive on the motorway. People who can't maintain a speed (you don't need to have cruise control to stick to roughly the same speed). People who drive too close. People who sit in the middle lane even though the left lane is clear. People who cut right in front of HGVs. People who sit in the right hand lane unnecessarily. People who don't look before they overtake. People who jam themselves into my gap with the car in front taking my braking distance. People who - and this is generally only in the celica - think that me overtaking is an invitation to race :roll: (sometimes this is just a "my penis is bigger than yours thing" and they see it's a woman driving and then back off again :roll: :roll: )

Generally I just hate other drivers tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 

Whenever I get frustrated on the road by somebody else's driving, I tend to think that I've probably done stuff to annoy other road users as well and if nobody's hurt just carry on.

That said, the tailgater who tooted his horn at me because I was waiting for a pedestrian to finish crossing the road before pulling into a junction recently can go and reflect on his anatomical deficiencies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 13:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Jem wrote:
People who jam themselves into my gap with the car in front taking my braking distance.

It's often impossible not to. Braking distances at motorway speeds (being generous and saying that's 70mph) are just over 100 meters. That's a long way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 13:43 
Sleepyhead

Braking distance for slowing down though, not for immediate stop, right? Can’t imagine a busy motorway with enough room for full distance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 13:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Braking distance for slowing down though, not for immediate stop, right? Can’t imagine a busy motorway with enough room for full distance.

Good luck calculating that on the fly, though :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:10 
Isn't that lovely?

Yeah, but the car in front isn't coming to a stop instantly, it's slowing down too. So you might not need the full 100m, but a bit of space is nice (says the non-driver)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:15 
Paws for thought

Malc wrote:
Yeah, but the car in front isn't coming to a stop instantly, it's slowing down too. So you might not need the full 100m, but a bit of space is nice (says the non-driver)

Unless it hits something which causes it to slow at more than its maximum breaking rate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:18 
INFINITE POWAH

But if you're Lara Croft and jump off of it...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:31 
sneering elitist

Kern wrote:
Whenever I get frustrated on the road by somebody else's driving, I tend to think that I've probably done stuff to annoy other road users as well and if nobody's hurt just carry on.

I'm sure that's the case, and they are fully allowed to rant about me on their interwebs forums :DD

Grim... wrote:
Jem wrote:
People who jam themselves into my gap with the car in front taking my braking distance.

It's often impossible not to. Braking distances at motorway speeds (being generous and saying that's 70mph) are just over 100 meters. That's a long way.

I meant more people who swerve into lanes at the last minute e.g. to overtake something because they've not anticipated that need earlier taking my definitely-not-100m-space. If someone indicates in good time and the gap is an 'unhealthy' size I'll happily accommodate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:37 
INFINITE POWAH

What super pisses me off is people dangerously cutting in in front of you when there's half a mile of open lane behind you. Cunts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's because you're in the middle lane.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:00 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
That's because you're in the middle lane.

Even if that were true, which it isn't, that is cunt work.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:20 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Jem wrote:
I meant more people who swerve into lanes at the last minute e.g. to overtake something because they've not anticipated that need earlier taking my definitely-not-100m-space. If someone indicates in good time and the gap is an 'unhealthy' size I'll happily accommodate.

‘Not anticipated.’ :this:

And not planning far enough ahead. I know I’ve been guilty of that in the past, but since I took the RoSPA course last year I’m much better. In medium to heavy traffic travelling at around 50mph, I’ll be getting into lane one around a mile before the exit on which I intend to leave.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 
Noob as of 6/8/10

This pilot’s got skillz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 
Decapodian

This is strangely addictive
http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html#

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 23:40 

8)

‘Long lost barley’

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 23:46 

Kern wrote:
So he's grown on you?

I thought I had shown some appreciation for this pun, but o now see o did not and I feel bad.

I giggled at the time, though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 60  Next