Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 23:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13697
Location: Parts unknown
Quick, everyone phone Zardoz at 10:30 so he can't listen to pop master!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42725
Location: The erogenous zone
*slides phone down keks*

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48488
Location: Nottingham
markg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
asfish wrote:
I can only find a photo, is there supposed to be a video?

I had a look on Google Videos and found myself on a channel of some twat who was filming himself in his living room.

He couldn't describe who Dove was or what they sold but got straight into the fact everything was racist.

I suspect that 16900 of the 17000 views he had were people like me searching for some info and context :)

I didn't think (what I saw) was offensive, not sure if there was more to follow that may have given more context?

Did read Dove had run a positive campaign for some 13 years called Real Beauty

Quote:
"Real Beauty" ads have long centred around rejecting standard, racially insular notions of beauty while vowing to feature "real women of different ages, sizes, ethnicities, hair color, type or style."


Sad thing is this will be a forgotten story by Wednesday as Trump will say something offensive or Boris maybe !

It was a short looped video. The white woman then pulls off her tshirt in the same manoeuvre to reveal a woman of colour.

They do apparently have form...
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw

I thought I remembered a similarly stupid decision a while back but couldn’t remember what it was. Oddly, I don’t think I’d seen that second one. The thing is, the ad is wholesome in its intention. If they’d had the women standing in a different order, it would likely have been received well. They need to take an extra step in their thinking. I don’t think there is an ounce of maliciousness in it and I think it’s a shame they’ve missed the mark in such a stupid way if it means that it undoes the actual good body positive work they’ve worked on as a brand.

I don’t know. Maybe they did think it through and thought that the white woman in the tshirt ad changing to a darker skinned woman blanaced the earlier change from dark skin to light, all beautiful. It does, really, in its best meaning form, but it can’t in a world that’s so unbalanced and growing ever more concious of that fact.
I dunno, I think it obviously wasn't the point of the advert. But typical twitter-mob bellends, hungry for outrage with all the critical faculties of the average Daily Mail reader.

The impact of its message is far more important than its intentions. Fuck good intentions if they harm people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42311
Location: West Yorkshire
DavPaz wrote:
There was an advert that said something along the lines of "good for you, whether you're black, yellow, brown or normal". Not Dove though.

Edit: it was fake, amusingly http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/equally.asp


Are you thinking of this?


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:27 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13697
Location: Parts unknown
This morning I was right by my front door about to leave the house. I was just putting my shoes on when there was a knock at the door.

By the time I’d reached to put the key in the door to open it, the guy who knocked was at the end of drive about to get back in his van. He had a couple of deliveries for us and was ready to chuck them back on the passenger seat. It must have took me all of 4, maybe 5 seconds to stand up and get the key in to open the door.

It was a Hermes driver and I’d always heard that they do this sort of thing but never experienced it myself. Amazing.

He also had a tattoo on his hand that said “Dad”. I could decide whether he loved his father dearly or thought very highly of his own parenting skills.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32114
Have you never had the classic 'sneaky card through the letterbox without knocking'?

I opened the door on a guy once and it seemed like a chore for him to actually get the parcel and give it to me. Pricks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9780
Location: Sunny Stoke
Aside from Hermes twice leaving parcels in my wheelie bin in my back yard, they seem to be better than they were around here. They don't half get through their staff though; by the time I get used to seeing one driver, another one has taken their place.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:49 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42725
Location: The erogenous zone
Amazon Prime deliverers > Royal Mail > Hermes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yodel

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:53 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13697
Location: Parts unknown
That's pretty much my thinking too although, our postman is very good so I wouldn't like to say that Amazon are better than him... Then again, Amazon do come in the evening which is much better so yeah... carry on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 8784
I just get all my Amazon stuff delivered to the nearby paper shop and pick it up whenever I want; fuck getting stuff delivered to your actual house.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32114
Bamba wrote:
I just get all my Amazon stuff delivered to the nearby paper shop and pick it up whenever I want; fuck getting stuff delivered to your actual house.

This. But a pickup locker in the Coop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3050
Bamba wrote:
I just get all my Amazon stuff delivered to the nearby paper shop and pick it up whenever I want; fuck getting stuff delivered to your actual house.


Work are pretty good about personal deliveries, we have a Postroom and they send you an email when stuff arrives

The only time they get a bit pushy is over Xmas, even then they just send a email around asking people to collect stuff as quickly as possible

The odd time I send stuff from Amazon home, they are pretty good always leave with one of the houses next door, that does work both ways though :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13697
Location: Parts unknown
I've been invited to a local school (my old school in fact) next Monday to talk about what I do.

Of course, I'm not going to talk about my job because it's rubbish... Instead I think I'm going to go in there in the angle that I'm a "Yes man" and don't like to say no to anything which has enabled me to do some fun stuff in my time.

Hopefully I can convince the kids to do the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25957
Location: Kidbrooke
Zardoz wrote:
Amazon Prime deliverers > Royal Mail > Hermes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yodel


Don't Amazon Prime use those services?

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1489
TheVision wrote:
I've been invited to a local school (my old school in fact) next Monday to talk about what I do.

Of course, I'm not going to talk about my job because it's rubbish... Instead I think I'm going to go in there in the angle that I'm a "Yes man" and don't like to say no to anything which has enabled me to do some fun stuff in my time.

Hopefully I can convince the kids to do the same.


That will go down well with the Stranger-Danger crowd.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9780
Location: Sunny Stoke
TheVision wrote:
I've been invited to a local school (my old school in fact) next Monday to talk about what I do.

Of course, I'm not going to talk about my job because it's rubbish... Instead I think I'm going to go in there in the angle that I'm a "Yes man" and don't like to say no to anything which has enabled me to do some fun stuff in my time.

Hopefully I can convince the kids to do the same.


Pfft. Tell them you're a professional wrestler.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42725
Location: The erogenous zone
Curiosity wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Amazon Prime deliverers > Royal Mail > Hermes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yodel


Don't Amazon Prime use those services?


I'm referring to the poor sods who turn up in the evenings and Sundays.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9780
Location: Sunny Stoke
Zardoz wrote:
Amazon Prime deliverers > Royal Mail > Hermes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yodel


As I have quite a few parcels delivered lately, here's my current list -

Royal Mail > UPS > DPD > Amazon Prime > Hermes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yodel

That said, DPD annoyed me yesterday. They send texts with the time window they'll be arriving in, which is normally helpful. Yesterday they missed this time then sent a follow-up text which presumably should have had the new times in but just repeated the same ones instead.. So I gave up and went out and they turned up while I was gone. Hmph.
Attachment:
Screenshot_20171010-113153.png


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:40 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32114
TheVision wrote:
I've been invited to a local school (my old school in fact) next Monday to talk about what I do.

Of course, I'm not going to talk about my job because it's rubbish... Instead I think I'm going to go in there in the angle that I'm a "Yes man" and don't like to say no to anything which has enabled me to do some fun stuff in my time.

Hopefully I can convince the kids to do the same.

Freelance filmmaker by day, renegade video game cataloguer by night. Full-time Dad, part time wrestler. All the time Pie Man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:48 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 8784
asfish wrote:
Work are pretty good about personal deliveries, we have a Postroom and they send you an email when stuff arrives


I can't do that in my current work unfortunately because security. Technically that was true in my last job as well but the mailroom staff cheerfully didn't give a fuck. In fact one time I got something delivered there from the US and they even paid the custom charges for me. Your tax dollars at work!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45355
I love DPD. Being able to see the little live map of where the dude is at any time is insanely helpful. Means you can actually leave the house.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32114
Cras wrote:
I love DPD. Being able to see the little live map of where the dude is at any time is insanely helpful. Means you can actually leave the house.

Or go for a poo.

Or both!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 14:22 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14028
Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
asfish wrote:
I can only find a photo, is there supposed to be a video?

I had a look on Google Videos and found myself on a channel of some twat who was filming himself in his living room.

He couldn't describe who Dove was or what they sold but got straight into the fact everything was racist.

I suspect that 16900 of the 17000 views he had were people like me searching for some info and context :)

I didn't think (what I saw) was offensive, not sure if there was more to follow that may have given more context?

Did read Dove had run a positive campaign for some 13 years called Real Beauty

Quote:
"Real Beauty" ads have long centred around rejecting standard, racially insular notions of beauty while vowing to feature "real women of different ages, sizes, ethnicities, hair color, type or style."


Sad thing is this will be a forgotten story by Wednesday as Trump will say something offensive or Boris maybe !

It was a short looped video. The white woman then pulls off her tshirt in the same manoeuvre to reveal a woman of colour.

They do apparently have form...
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw

I thought I remembered a similarly stupid decision a while back but couldn’t remember what it was. Oddly, I don’t think I’d seen that second one. The thing is, the ad is wholesome in its intention. If they’d had the women standing in a different order, it would likely have been received well. They need to take an extra step in their thinking. I don’t think there is an ounce of maliciousness in it and I think it’s a shame they’ve missed the mark in such a stupid way if it means that it undoes the actual good body positive work they’ve worked on as a brand.

I don’t know. Maybe they did think it through and thought that the white woman in the tshirt ad changing to a darker skinned woman blanaced the earlier change from dark skin to light, all beautiful. It does, really, in its best meaning form, but it can’t in a world that’s so unbalanced and growing ever more concious of that fact.
I dunno, I think it obviously wasn't the point of the advert. But typical twitter-mob bellends, hungry for outrage with all the critical faculties of the average Daily Mail reader.

The impact of its message is far more important than its intentions. Fuck good intentions if they harm people.

No, the impact has come not from people reacting to the advert but from the small parts of it they saw on twitter which were deliberately edited so as to remove the important context, the whole point of the thing, just to rile people up. It's exactly the sort of thing the tabloid press have been doing for years and it's why we live in a world where so many people have idiotic views and vote for shite like Brexit and Donald fucking Trump.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 14:25 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 8741
Location: Devon
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-a-victim

The black actress/model from the most recent advert speaks. Looks like a lot more context was removed than even the previously linked clip

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 14:45 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10518
The racist Dove people got to her. They’re probably holding her children in a secure location with gaffertape around their mouths while she was forced to write that piece in her own blood while the barrel of a gun burns into her temple and her cat lies with smoking phosphor emerging from a crimson hole in its breast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:27 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25957
Location: Kidbrooke
I'm sitting reminiscing about Mafia games past, and it's making me smile a lot.

From my wife's accurate "village idiots" call on Cras/Myp, through Bobby's drunken attempt to run a game, past Kern's sleepy detective, to any game where my call of "Mafia look up now" is followed by about three people shouting, "Oh my gawd!".

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:29 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13697
Location: Parts unknown
Curiosity wrote:
I'm sitting reminiscing about Mafia games past, and it's making me smile a lot.

From my wife's accurate "village idiots" call on Cras/Myp, through Bobby's drunken attempt to run a game, past Kern's sleepy detective, to any game where my call of "Mafia look up now" is followed by about three people shouting, "Oh my gawd!".


You forgot the one where I was on the winning team despite never playing it live and not really knowing what I was doing. I believe the only factor that helped was the fact that I was sober... Despite GJ not believing me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:30 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45355
Curiosity wrote:
I'm sitting reminiscing about Mafia games past, and it's making me smile a lot.

From my wife's accurate "village idiots" call on Cras/Myp, through Bobby's drunken attempt to run a game, past Kern's sleepy detective, to any game where my call of "Mafia look up now" is followed by about three people shouting, "Oh my gawd!".


Bobby the ghost was the best one.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:52 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32114
Sitting next to Sinister Agent getting more and more frustrated and muttering about said frustrations was utterly hilarious


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:57 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25957
Location: Kidbrooke
"CONTINUE THE SWEEP!"

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.