Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 17:13 
Hibernating Druid

Absolute balderdash!

Get in! Get in!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 18:06 
Decapodian

KovacsC wrote:
How is the new Star Trek, is it worth getting netfix, to watch it

It was good, but not absolutely amazing. I'd give it a few more weeks to air, then binge it, or just Yarr it like plenty of other people.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 

I see UKIP have ditched the pound sign (unwanted Italianism, after all) in favour of a lion with a huge mane. Not sure what this imagery says about them, as male lions lounge around all day whilst the lionesses do all the hard work, not to mention the whole pride thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 16:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also lions are African. And Richard Lionheart hated this country. And was french.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 14:19 

Made a tactical error yesterday. Promised Josie that we would go up Blackpool Tower today (my first time too after 43 years of living down the road) then proceeded to get wrecked until almost three in the morning. This really wasn't where I wanted to be after three hours sleep:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7irieOBVdYh8qGNH2

Sweet Jesus, my legs were like fucking jelly walking around on that thing. :DD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 15:30 
Unpossible!

That gasp at the end of the first video. Sounds like you were gonna hurl :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 15:32 

I heard Mikhail Glinka's 'Variations on a Scottish Theme' from his 'Greeting to my native land' suite for the first time on Friday and it was one of the loveliest pieces of piano music I've listened to in a long time. Available to listen for a bit from the Radio 3 website.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 21:25 
Gogmagog

Spaceship.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:18 

And there was me thinking you'd upgraded your homebrewing efforts by a couple of notches.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:21 

GazChap wrote:
And there was me thinking you'd upgraded your homebrewing efforts by a couple of notches.

:DD

Looks safer than the Rover.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 
Sleepyhead

Another mass shooting in the States. Vegas this time at a country music festival.

At least 50 dead.

Shooter is apparently a white guy so it's "not terrorism".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12 

Curiosity wrote:
Another mass shooting in the States. Vegas this time at a country music festival.

At least 50 dead.

Shooter is apparently a white guy so it's "not terrorism".

Mr Trump always waits until he gets all the facts before he passes judgement or starts tweeting about these things. Always.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:14 

Admittedly, I shouldn't really make light of this. The news reports I've read are horrific.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:26 
Unpossible!

Nevada! A state with very little gun regulation. Everyone can carry one. You have to have a background check to buy a new gun, but private sales are legal, so that's pointless. You can buy as much ammo as you want. Yay for freedom!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 
Comfortably Dumb

DavPaz wrote:
Nevada! A state with very little gun regulation. Everyone can carry one. You have to have a background check to buy a new gun, but private sales are legal, so that's pointless. You can buy as much ammo as you want. Yay for freedom!

And there's little point in being armed yourself for self-defence purposes when you're being shot at from the 32nd floor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:
Made a tactical error yesterday. Promised Josie that we would go up Blackpool Tower today (my first time too after 43 years of living down the road) then proceeded to get wrecked until almost three in the morning. This really wasn't where I wanted to be after three hours sleep:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7irieOBVdYh8qGNH2

Sweet Jesus, my legs were like fucking jelly walking around on that thing. :DD

:DD Not done that myself yet, keep meaning to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 19:01 
Noob as of 6/8/10

DavPaz wrote:
Nevada! A state with very little gun regulation. Everyone can carry one own ten or more, some of which may be fully automatic assault rifles. You have to have a background check to buy a new gun, but private sales are legal, so that's pointless. You can buy as much ammo as you want. Yay for freedom!

FTFY

Why the hell do members of the public need automatic weapons? And how did this guy manage to get ten weapons and ammo into a hotel room without anyone noticing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 21:32 
INFINITE POWAH

The most depressing thing was the bit at the end of Channel 4 News when Krishnan said the share price in the gun companies went up today as everyone would be going out buying more guns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:54 
Unpossible!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34996604

This BBC article from last year states that between 1968 and 2011, the number of deaths from firearms on US soil was 1.4 million people. More american deaths than all of the wars that they have fought combined. But, yeah, carry on. You get your handgun and feel safe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:05 

I saw a video of a governor (of Kentucky, I think?) saying that introducing gun control won't make any difference because "there's already laws against murder, and these people were murdered."

Jesus fucking wept.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I saw on Twitter that someone said that this could have been averted if more people were carrying guns to protect themselves.

Can you imagine all those people in the crowd, shooting up at the hotel where the shooter was based? Madness.

I can't fathom why anyone would think that they need to own a gun let alone a machine gun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:24 
Gogmagog

I would love to own a machine gun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:26 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:

I was irked, a while back, when going into the petrol station shop to find out it was full of guns that I couldn't buy there and then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:32 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:

And there's the problem. Games and movies have made guns so... sexy. They're cool.

A cool, sleek, deadly, easy to use, sexy, child murdering instrument of horror.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:32 

TheVision wrote:
I saw on Twitter that someone said that this could have been averted if more people were carrying guns to protect themselves.

Can you imagine all those people in the crowd, shooting up at the hotel where the shooter was based? Madness.

I read somewhere, probably on Reddit, a point that in those situations, especially during the initial confusion, anyone with a gun would immediately be presumed to be a threat too. Not having a gun would be safer. I hadn't considered that aspect of it before.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Kern wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I read somewhere, probably on Reddit, a point that in those situations, especially during the initial confusion, anyone with a gun would immediately be presumed to be a threat too. Not having a gun would be safer. I hadn't considered that aspect of it before.

I read that too and like you, I hadn't considered it either. It's a very good point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 

MaliA wrote:
I was irked, a while back, when going into the petrol station shop to find out it was full of guns that I couldn't buy there and then.

Wait until you find out about the drinking laws in most states.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:40 

Eddie Mair opened 'PM' yesterday by reading out a list of recent US shootings. It was a chilling start to a generally depressing programme, and pretty effective.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 

TheVision wrote:

That's a pretty standard rebuttal to gun control arguments in the US.

There is a certain element of truth to it in theory (in close quarter situations at least, wouldn't have been any help here at all) but, as you quite rightly point out, you're more likely to be treated as a threat by actual law enforcement, and even before they turn up - with your adrenaline dialled up to 11 - you're unlikely to be able to shoot straight without proper training (ex military types etc.) so you're more likely to hit innocent people than you are the attacker(s). And that assumes that the attacker(s) aren't wearing any sort of bullet-proof vest, armour etc.

Point this out to people though, and they just turn into keyboard warriors and ignore any stats or other evidence that refutes their argument.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:46 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

And there's the problem. Games and movies have made guns so... sexy. They're cool.

Probably told this before:
When I was in Iowa, we'd been out drinking the night before and I wss chatting to the daughter of a baptist preacher. Anyways, the next day we're down at her dad's place riding horses and stuff, and he asks if we like to shoot. We agreed it would be most excellent, so he said "Boy, get the guns". Tje 12 year old disappeared into the house and reappeared a couple of minutes later. Over one shoulder was a shotgun, and the other was a rifle. We spent a most enjoyable hour with this preacher lobbing dinner plates into the air and us trying to shoot them. With the shotgun. Given the range, success was low. Turns out, we were shooting slugs, not shot, and the background foliage was getting a pasting. With the remainder of the plates, we plinked at them with the semi automatic rifle. We also had lemonade and listed to the guy's high opinion of Thatcher and how none of his guns were registered as he didn't trust the state. It was great!

A few days later, the daughter talked away us skinny dipping in a gravel pit to 3am to a policeman on the grounds of our nationality ("They're British. They..they do that") and as I left, she gave me lots of bumpf about being a better person. Which I totally read.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

When I was in Iowa, we'd been out drinking the night before and I wss chatting to the daughter of a baptist preacher. Anyways, the next day we're down at her dad's place riding horses and stuff, and he asks if we like to shoot. We agreed it would be most excellent, so he said "Boy, get the guns". Tje 12 year old disappeared into the house and reappeared a couple of minutes later. Over one shoulder was a shotgun, and the other was a rifle. We spent a most enjoyable hour with this preacher lobbing dinner plates into the air and us trying to shoot them. With the shotgun. Given the range, success was low. Turns out, we were shooting slugs, not shot, and the background foliage was getting a pasting. With the remainder of the plates, we plinked at them with the semi automatic rifle. We also had lemonade and listed to the guy's high opinion of Thatcher and how none of his guns were registered as he didn't trust the state. It was great!

A few days later, the daughter talked away us skinny dipping in a gravel pit to 3am to a policeman on the grounds of our nationality ("They're British. They..they do that") and as I left, she gave me lots of bumpf about being a better person. Which I totally read.

Was this before or after your stint as a Grime DJ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:02 

In other news, Oxford City Council removes Aung San Suu Kyi's 'freedom of the city' award. Her star has really fallen over the past few months.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Was this before or after your stint as a Grime DJ?

It was before the world went mad. I landed at Heathrow and the front page of the newspaper was Jeffery Archer imprisoned. A day later, my friend got married at the church at Windsor castle. I sat in a cardinal's seat at the back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 17:28 
Comfortably Dumb

Happy Birthday to Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Oh and Grim... too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 19:08 
Best
Board Mother

Happy birthday Grim...! Hope you're not too drunk at work. :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 21:53 

Happy Birthday Grim...!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:49 
Hibernating Druid

<KF2KLEEK> Three and a half fucking grand... </KF2KLEEK>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 

devilman wrote:

I hope he didn't have to clean his own anus yesterday.

Zlatan, I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 14:26 
Hibernating Druid

Red Leicester Mini Cheddars are awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 14:31 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

surely they are mini red Leicesters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 14:33 
Hibernating Druid

No.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 14:54 
Bad Girl

Happy Birthday Grim...

AND also Siri!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 15:27 
Hibernating Druid

Happy Birthday Grim...!

(I thought he was one of the December lot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 16:24 
Prince of Fops

GazChap wrote:
devilman wrote:

I hope he didn't have to clean his own anus yesterday.

Zlatan, I mean.

He did unfortunately. Phil Jones and the gang were too busy cleaning Grim...'s.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 21:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Thanks, gang!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 14:56 
Hibernating Druid

Quiet today.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 15:05 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Sorry been working.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 15:16 
Comfortably Dumb

All was quiet here till a few minutes ago. Mum text me to say their car has broken down on the hospital grounds, so I've been speaking to the garage on their behalf. Unfortunately, this is where my lack of car knowledge lets me down

"What make or car is it?"
"Er, it begins with 'I'?"
"Ibiza? Insignia?"
"Insignia! That's the one"
.. on to where they've broken down..
"And is that opposite the Pinkstones Garage?"
"Er.. I've no idea where that is"

Thankfully they're on their way to my parents now, so fingers crossed it's getting sorted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 18:43 
Bad Girl

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_physics

I understand now. Thanks internet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 21:06 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Zardoz wrote:
<KF2KLEEK> Three and a half fucking grand... </KF2KLEEK>

Dunno about anyone else, but I have no idea what you are referring to.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 60  Next