Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ] 
 Post subject: That time I was on the TV
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:44 
EvilTrousers

It was May 1998 (according to this) and I turned round to my girlfriend and said “I bet I can get on the telly” having just decided that all you need is a decently worded letter to Right to Reply. I had a website devoted to complaint letters so I had an idea about what buttons I could push so I wrote (via my AOL.com account) an email to Channel 4 expressing my disgust that Johnny Vaughan was allowed to throw out endless European stereotypes and essentially have a political platform for his anti-EU agenda on The Big Breakfast.
I wasn’t really offended to a massive extent but it did irk me a bit that he was allowed to rant on unchallenged a lot of the time. I also figured it would make perfect Right to Reply material. For those that don’t know Right to Reply was a programme where viewers could moan about the shit that was on telly and the complainers got to do their own segments during the show.

Sure enough within a day or so Joanna Lumley sexily declared that I had received new mail and there it was, an email from Channel 4 telling me this was right up their street and could I come down for filming in a couple of weeks. After my seventh celebratory wank I made the relevant arrangements, booked the day off with work and started fantasising about being discovered and going on to win all manner of awards.

The day started off badly and just went downhill from there. I got on the train and had been told that Channel 4 would call me on the way down to let me know what was happening with the script. This was in the early days of mobile phones so my phone was this exact model

which I was very excited about flipping open and saying “WHY YES HELLO CHANNEL 4 I CAN TALK TO YOU ABOUT THE SCRIPT RIGHT NOW REGARDING MY TV APPEARANCE” when they called.

Fucking thing ran out of charge 5 minutes into the journey didn’t it?

So already I am worried about the arrangements but I know I can at least charge the phone up when I get to the hotel and talk to the channel 4 folk then to get the details about the script. A car met me at Kings Cross and took me to the hotel which was 5 minutes away from the station. Of course my driver took 90 minutes to get there not knowing where the fuck he was going. So I finally arrive at the hotel somewhat tired and stressed at about 7:00pm and get checked in and charge my phone up. Once the phone is charged up I do get to speak to the director that will be working on my section and she tells me the script will be faxed to the hotel shortly. This gives me a moment of unbridled joy where I can go to reception and tell them that I am expecting a script to be faxed through from Channel 4 and could they let me know as soon as it arrives.

The script is pushed under my door at about 9:00pm so I can’t thank whoever brought it up loudly and reading it through it’s based on my email to Channel 4 which makes me sound like a right pompous twat. I figure I can work on the delivery so I sound less pompous and retire to bed for a fitful night’s sleep as I dream about possible Oscar recognition.

I woke up in the morning super fresh and met the Channel 4 people then off we went to film around London. Now here’s a thing nobody tells you – when filming “Pieces to camera” the camera is about a millimetre away from your face and the big black lens of doom strips away any confidence or ability to speak. The crew reassured me I was fine but I felt like I spluttered my way through a lot of it and they had to do a fair few takes of lots of my lines. I did enjoy it, though, as people were staring and pointing as I was getting filmed. “Enjoy this” I thought “next time you will probably get mobbed by people asking for your autograph”.

The director had been attempting to secure an interview with Johnny Vaughan all day and we went down to The Big Breakfast house to film some stuff round there and to see if we could get in to talk to him. It wasn’t possible and a security guard made us leave making me feel like I was some kind of guerrilla film maker, sticking it to The Man. We managed to nab an interview with Johnny for the next day after filming of The Big Breakfast so we went back to the studio and I recorded a voiceover of the entire script in case they wanted to use any of it with a montage etc. I retired to bed having called my girlfriend and asked her to let my boss know what had happened and that I would need another day off. I was obviously thinking I would need the rest of my career off, because fame, but didn’t say that, owing to the fact that I am so modest.

We did a bit more filming in the morning then hung around so I could meet Johnny Vaughan and haul his ass all over the coals like the fearless citizen journalist I was. He was dead nice, greeted me and put me at ease and then we sat down to do our Frost/Nixon. Here is the entirety of my thought process for the next 15 minutes

“THAT IS JOHNNY VAUGHAN RIGHT THERE, OFF OF THE TELLY, JOHNNY VAUGHAN, I AM INTERVIEWING JOHNNY VAUGHAN, OFF OF THE TELLY, JOHNNY FUCKING VAUGHAN”

So he nailed me quite adeptly as my questions were swatted away and I just grinned and rocked backwards and forwards like Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys. He said we could stay for breakfast after but I was too mortified to do anything other than slink off with my tail between my legs.

I returned home to find I had been sacked for taking a day off without asking (true story) and the show would be going out on that Sunday night. We went to some friends’ house to watch it and it was the most squirmy thing I have ever had the misfortune to see.

My hair was all over the shop thanks to a windy day and floppy hair, I sounded like a massive sanctimonious prick and the pieces to camera were in my best attempt at received pronunciation but then for the voiceover bits I had clearly got tired or was less afraid without a camera in my face so I went “Proper Hull”. I sounded like an idiot, looked like a twat and suffered a VAUGHNALITY as he pulled me to bits in the nicest possible way as I looked on, nodding like a simpleton.

I had a VHS of it and threw that motherfucker away quite some time ago. And no, it doesn’t exist on YouTube, you ghouls.

Post subject: Re: That time I was on the TV
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:47 
Gogmagog

Brilliant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:52 

Ha ha. Amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:07 
Excellent Member

I really enjoyed reading that! Thanks for sharing. :)

SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Brilliant story. I especially liked the bit about you getting the sack! It sounds like you took it very well.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Top work.

We can find this footage. I know someone at C4.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yes. I need to see this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:24 
EvilTrousers

TheVision wrote:
Brilliant story. I especially liked the bit about you getting the sack! It sounds like you took it very well.

I was just in a daze at that point. I had a letter hand delivered to the house about an hour after I had returned.

The bloke was a lunatic and went bust about 6 months after that so I wasn't overly concerned and I got another job by Tuesday working for one of the people he faxed telling them I had been sacked for "THEFT AND MISCONDUCT" because that was the kind of loon he was.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:29 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Top work.

Do so. Please

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:32 
EvilTrousers

Grim... wrote:
Top work.

Part of me does have a morbid interest in what it actually looks like as I watched most of it through the gaps between my fingers and then never watched it again, despite having a copy on VHS.

But then I know 5 seconds in I will run away from the screen in horror.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

So basically Brexit is your fault.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:44 
Excellent Member

Superb !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:45 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Good stuff! Although I'm not sure what the expected, putting someone with no TV experience up against Johnny Vaughan like that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 13:54 
Paws for thought

Squirt wrote:
Good stuff! Although I'm not sure what the expected, putting someone with no TV experience up against Johnny Vaughan like that.

"entertainment"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 14:20 

Brilliant story, thanks for that!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 14:41 
Hibernating Druid

This is awesome.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 23:28 
Excellent Member

Trousers wrote:
It was May 1998

Hang about! Did you get to meet Denise van Outen, then???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:29 
Can you dig it?

I can't make my mind up about Johnny Vaughan - there are occasions where I think he's entertaining and amusing, and he can be quite smart sometimes. Then there are others when I think he's a massive twat and wish he would fuck off, forever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:11 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I can't make my mind up about Johnny Vaughan - there are occasions where I think he's entertaining and amusing, and he can be quite smart sometimes. Then there are others when I think he's a massive twat and wish he would fuck off, forever.

I had to deal with him at work once. He was awful towards me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:52 
EvilTrousers

Firefox wrote:
Trousers wrote:
It was May 1998

Hang about! Did you get to meet Denise van Outen, then???

She was in the Big Breakfast House when I was doing my thing but I never actually met her. Probably for the best based on my performance with her co-presenter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 
Hibernating Druid

Would you go on TV again?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 

Trousers wrote:
He said we could stay for breakfast after

I hope it was biscuits.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:27 
EvilTrousers

Zardoz wrote:
Would you go on TV again?

Possibly - but I would never watch myself on TV again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:00 
Paws for thought

I had a friend who is (a) obsessed with Dr Who and (b) had managed to appear in an episode as an extra.

So he arranged for everyone he knew to come round his place for a party and watch the episode when it aired. To say he was less than impressed doesn't even begin to summarise it...

His appearance was about 2 seconds of his arse. Hollywood fame did not await him either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:10 
Gogmagog

MesA made me watch loads of Total Wipeout to see the niece. Who was on it for seconds. A old colleague of mine was on Deal or No Deal. Which amused me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:13 
Bad Girl

I miss Total Wipeout. It was stupid fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:16 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
MesA made me watch loads of Total Wipeout to see the niece. Who was on it for seconds. A old colleague of mine was on Deal or No Deal. Which amused me.

Do you have a clip?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:20 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Do you have a clip?

Of what?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:20 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
I had a friend who is (a) obsessed with Dr Who and (b) had managed to appear in an episode as an extra.

So he arranged for everyone he knew to come round his place for a party and watch the episode when it aired. To say he was less than impressed doesn't even begin to summarise it...

His appearance was about 2 seconds of his arse. Hollywood fame did not await him either.

Which episode?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:21 
Hibernating Druid

Dr Who and the 2 second Arse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:22 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:

It's Doctor not Dr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:24 

When I was working as an AA at the civ (which was pretty much the go to, shitty, dead-end job that basically anyone who could read could get when I was a kid) I worked alongside this bloke who kept going on Countdown and doing really well until eventually he just never came back:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Eadie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:30 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Which episode?

Can't remember now. I want to say idiots lantern, but not sure. It was certainly a Tennant one as he came back with a furious hatred of Tennant for being an aloof dick or some such.

He was playing the part of a mover or something, carrying a heavy and/or large item with two people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have a TV story. When I was 18, I went to Virgin Megastore in Birmingham to meet the model Caprice as she was signing her new calendar.

I ended up on Central News on the evening doing a quick soundbite of the event. Of all the intelligent and thoughtful things I said in the interview, they cut it all apart from me (in a thick Black Country accent) saying "She's really fit..." :facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:36 
EvilTrousers

I worked with a guy that was on Blockbusters

Middle bloke, used to be Tax Manager at the accountancy practice I worked at.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:41 
Hibernating Druid

Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's Doctor not Dr
Fuck off

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
When I was working as an AA at the civ

A what now?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:49 

Administrative Assistant. Basically putting things in alphabetical order or searching through databases to find the right records to attach paperwork to. I actually ended up getting fired for not turning up because at the time all I wanted to do was ride skateboards and get stoned.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 13:50 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:
When I was working as an AA at the civ

A what now?

Anonymous alcoholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:37 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's Doctor not Dr
Fuck off

Unless you're referring to the Peter Cushing movies and then I'll allow it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:40 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I have a TV story. When I was 18, I went to Virgin Megastore in Birmingham to meet the model Caprice as she was signing her new calendar.

I ended up on Central News on the evening doing a quick soundbite of the event. Of all the intelligent and thoughtful things I said in the interview, they cut it all apart from me (in a thick Black Country accent) saying "She's really fit..." :facepalm:

Are you absolutely sure you said intelligent and thoughtful things about Caprice signing a calendar? It's not exactly a fertile subject for insightful commentary.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:41 
Hibernating Druid

Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's Doctor not Dr
Fuck off

Twat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:44 

'She's railly fit loik by she didaint boiy one a me pois. Fresh pois!'

I'm really bad at accents, as you can likely tell, but I think that was the full interview transcribed as best as I could understand.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:44 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's Doctor not Dr
Fuck off

Twat

Go back to painting tiny figures, nerd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:45 
Hibernating Druid

Keep your pecker still why I do the red nose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:47 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
'She's railly fit loik by she didaint boiy one a me pois. Fresh pois!'

I'm really bad at accents, as you can likely tell, but I think that was the full interview transcribed as best as I could understand.

Perfict

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Penny's mine. Pie's mine. Fuck you. FRESH PIES!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
"Penny's mine. Pie's mine. Fuck you. FRESH PIES!"

I'm not sure that would have been allowed on the slot that the show had.. which was watched by 3.9 million people. Did I ever mention that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:54 
Hibernating Druid

Beeeeyoouutifawl tuppnies.

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]