Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do you 100% / Platinum games ?
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I like the idea of achievements that encourage you to play something in a different way / challenge you with some odd or unusual limitation on your normal methods of passing a level , but never really got that into the you must 100% a game before moving on (one of the first titles I wanted to do this for was the original Dead Rising but after reading up on doing the 72 hour challenge that you cant save and need to leave your system on for days to complete I gave up)

On the 360 I have 100% completion on a handful of the arcade titles , and Fallout 3 (which i did everything in) , and that's about it.

On the PlayStation side of things I have nothing that I've hit the Platinum in , but while playing around in the aftergame of Horizon I realized I'm actually pretty close (I'm missing one hunters area that i will go and try out and then it is just the 3 collectables - vantage points / mugs / flowers and I probably picked up about 1/2 of them just playing the game through)

So do you play a game to 100% it , do you feel you need to get above a certain point before moving on / are you chasing that next 1000 points or PSN level ?

Post subject: Re: Do you 100% / Platinum games ?
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:44 
SavyGamer

Not really. Last I did was the Binding of Isaac, although they added a bunch of expansions since then.

There are some games I play to totally master, or at least try to, but that's not the same as getting "100% completion". I've played certain sections of Mirror's Edge over and over again for hours, to try and perfect my route through them, but I haven't gotten every collectible in the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 
UltraMod

Nah, life's too short for that bollocks.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 
Excellent Member

I've tried to get all achievements on some tables in Pinball Arcade but that's it. There's so many good games and so little time.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Whatever floats your boat. If you want to grind away at 1000 ranked wins in Kane and Lynch be my guest. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:00 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Whatever floats your boat. If you want to grind away at 1000 ranked wins in Kane and Lynch be my guest. ;)

:insincere:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 
Comfortably Dumb

It depends on the game and the achievements. If I'm enjoying a game, like Binding of Isaac, I'll see what the achievements are and if they're well thought out, I'll give them a go. The game I'm playing at the moment, Hell Girls hasn't really thought theirs out - there are 92 of them and I've unlocked them all just by playing the game normally and I've still got a fair chunk of the game left to play.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I’ve completed a handful of games 100% but they’re mainly easy arcade games on the 360. Daytona and Sonic Fighters spring to mind.

I have only a couple of full price games that have reached 100% and again, they’re easy ones. Captain America on the 360 for instance.

I like the idea of going for achievements but once I complete a game, I rarely want to go back. I’ll always look at the achievement list but I don’t tend to go out of my way for them. I don’t have enough time in my life for that.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 
Excellent Member

I've got platinum trophies in a few games but it's just stuff where it's near impossible not to (i.e. Telltale games and I think Flower) rather than because I've set out to. I will sometimes review the trophy list for a game when I'm near the end and if there's stuff in there I could mop up that would also be engaging/interesting/fun then I'll go for it, but it's not something I find particularly compelling in and of itself. 99.9% of the time I look at the requirements for the full trophy set and it includes a whole load of boring or just massively time consuming nonsense so I just fuck it off. Most devs seem to feel the need to add at least a few trophies that only the most obsessive weirdos will ever get purely in order to satisfy that segment of the market and as long as that's the case I'm never going to feel platinums are achievable so I'm never going to care.

ETA: yeah, I've just checked and my only platinums are three Telltale games, Flower and Arkham VR.

Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

He's right though, you're a mentallist if you spend your leisure time chasing this sort of pish.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:28 
UltraMod

Exactly!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 
Unpossible!

How is The Albino Kid?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:38 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:
I've got platinum trophies in a few games but it's just stuff where it's near impossible not to (i.e. Telltale games and I think Flower) rather than because I've set out to. I will sometimes review the trophy list for a game when I'm near the end and if there's stuff in there I could mop up that would also be engaging/interesting/fun then I'll go for it, but it's not something I find particularly compelling in and of itself. 99.9% of the time I look at the requirements for the full trophy set and it includes a whole load of boring or just massively time consuming nonsense so I just fuck it off. Most devs seem to feel the need to add at least a few trophies that only the most obsessive weirdos will ever get purely in order to satisfy that segment of the market and as long as that's the case I'm never going to feel platinums are achievable so I'm never going to care.

ETA: yeah, I've just checked and my only platinums are three Telltale games, Flower and Arkham VR.

Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

He's a silly boy though, for spending years of his leisure time chasing this sort of pish.

I agree

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:43 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
How is The Albino Kid?

No idea

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:45 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

He's a silly boy though, for spending years of his leisure time chasing this sort of pish.

I agree

At least I managed to see the light eventually. Some people still play Call of Duty though…

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:27 
Master of dodgy spelling....

The only one I did was Skyrim, then they brought out a DLC.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:40 
Can you dig it?

Nope

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:42 
Comfortably Dumb

Bamba wrote:
Most devs seem to feel the need to add at least a few trophies that only the most obsessive weirdos will ever get purely in order to satisfy that segment of the market and as long as that's the case I'm never going to feel platinums are achievable so I'm never going to care.

Bejeweled 2 on the 360 nearly put me off achievements completely. The final one, for unlocking all the game modes, involves playing Endless mode for 280 levels. In this mode, you cannot die, it doesn't really get any more difficult, but each level takes slightly longer than the last. I did try it for 20+ hours but it was getting so dull, I'd literally be falling asleep playing it. A quick google suggests it takes 200+ hours.. sod that. Add to that, the saved game for Bejeweled 2 cannot be transferred to a memory card as a backup and if you quit the mode without saving it properly, you can lose your progress.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The only game I've ever done it for is Fire Watch. Because they weren't hard, and the game was lovely.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 17:26 
Bad Girl

I've got zero 1000 points and 0 platinum trophies.

Obviously I don't chase trophies given the above, but I'll still have a look at the trophy list usually after playing for a few hours just to see what kind of trophies are on offer.

I can only remember Dead Space 2 being one of those games where I looked at the list and it gave me a new ways to play. The achievements made me swap my guns around (50 kills with the flame thrower, 50 kills with this and that) which made the game much more fun especially since the number of kills needed per gun was manageable. I think I did the most interesting achievements before completing the campaign.

If there's a couple of trophies that I could mop up relatively quickly after completing the game, and the game was interesting enough, I'll give them a punt. Why not?

So yeah, if you're enjoying yourself the achievements can help keep you in a world for a bit longer.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 17:29 
Rude Belittler

Nope. Can't be arsed.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:30 
EvilTrousers

I did it on Split/Second (hard), CoD 2 (frustrating), Borderlands (grindy), Assassins Creed 2 (grindy collect-a-thon), Sonic and Sega all star racing (actual fun) and Fight Night Round 3 (through progression - no real effort involved)

Tellingly all for the 360. I haven't been even vaguely bothered about cheevos or trophies since, even thought it's still a nice feeling when they pop. It's just not the endoprhin rush it used to be.

Best example recently was Doom - I enjoyed the hunting for secrets etc but the minute the enjoyment stopped I didn't go hunting them out I just carried on enjoying the combat and general gameplay. The old me would have been sat with his head in a guide on my phone switching from small screen to big screen not really drinking in the game properly purely to make a completely arbitrary number get 25 points higher.

For a while back there though I would be on the TrueAchievements website daily seeing what cheevos I could get so that an even more arbitrary number on their website would go up ON TOP of the other arbitrary number on my Xbox account. What. The. Actual. Fuck?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:35 
Awesome
Yes

When I play I often try to max out the LEGO games, but that's because it's part of the game to go back around and unlock the characters and stuff, but the recent marvel type ones have seemed a little more soul-less.

The LEGO Indiana Jones one though had great achievement names, and made me go back and play the game in a different way ("kill 50 snakes on this level"), so that was enjoyable.

I know I don't have the time to sink into it though, and came to realise that there's no point really.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 
Hibernating Druid

I love Platinum Games but I don't platinum games.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 
Awesome
Yes

Also, when I played Assassin's Creed 2, which I loved, there were so many things that were enjoyable to collect, such as the freelance assassin missions, and so many that weren't, such as the free-run missions, so it helps that you know you'll never max a game again when you're only playing it for fun instead of a completion percentage.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 23:47 
Can you dig it?

Mr Russell wrote:
Also, when I played Assassin's Creed 2, which I loved, there were so many things that were enjoyable to collect, such as the freelance assassin missions, and so many that weren't, such as the free-run missions, so it helps that you know you'll never max a game again when you're only playing it for fun instead of a completion percentage.

Excellent point. Similar to how I felt in Crackdown. Climbing the agency tower was pointless, but fun, exploring but not grinding, coming back to get that little bit higher as my character got better jumpy legs - and getting a cheevo for hitting the top was a nice little bonus. Then jumping off to meet a certain doom was fun too.

I came close, so close to beating Ouendan on the unlockable super-hard mode but the last two levels before the finale were too tough for me. I really wanted to beat it but eventually just ran out of steam.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:02 
Awesome
Yes

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Excellent point. Similar to how I felt in Crackdown. Climbing the agency tower was pointless, but fun, exploring but not grinding, coming back to get that little bit higher as my character got better jumpy legs - and getting a cheevo for hitting the top was a nice little bonus. Then jumping off to meet a certain doom was fun too.

I came close, so close to beating Ouendan on the unlockable super-hard mode but the last two levels before the finale were too tough for me. I really wanted to beat it but eventually just ran out of steam.

At the harder levels the spinners were too difficult to spin fast enough to stop you failing slightly later on I found.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sir Taxalot wrote:
agency towerand getting a cheevo for hitting the top was a nice little bonus. Then jumping off to meet a certain doom was fun too.

Didn't you get a cheevo for jumping to your death, too?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
agency towerand getting a cheevo for hitting the top was a nice little bonus. Then jumping off to meet a certain doom was fun too.

Didn't you get a cheevo for jumping to your death, too?

Base Jumper: Jump from the top of the Agency Tower and land in the water below.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 14:18 
UltraMod

I missed the first time I tried and had to climb to the top again. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 14:39 
EvilTrousers

Lonewolves wrote:
I missed the first time I tried and had to climb to the top again. :D

As did I. I was fucking livid considering how fiddly getting to the top was.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 13:30 
Participant in dramatic games

So you can miss certain dead?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 13:37 
Excellent Member

romanista wrote:

I don't understand your question?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:52 
Can you dig it?

romanista wrote:

To get the Cheevo you need to go from the very top, all the way to the ground in one go. IIRC it doesn't count if you brush the side of the building/bounce off a ledge/die from accumulated bumps and scrapes as you fall.

I'm not sure if I'm misremembering on this bit, but I think there was a bit of water somewhere around the bottom of the tower too - that'd be enough to break the fall.

Crackdown was a great game :metul:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:39 
Can you dig it?

Mr Russell wrote:
At the harder levels the spinners were too difficult to spin fast enough to stop you failing slightly later on I found.

Yes, I found the spinners were the bits that really messed me up. Without those being so brutal I possibly could've finished as the beats and the trackers were hard, but reasonable. The unskippable intros made failure even more painful.

I might dig out the DS and play a bit more Ouendan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:09 
Awesome
Yes

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Yes, I found the spinners were the bits that really messed me up. Without those being so brutal I possibly could've finished as the beats and the trackers were hard, but reasonable. The unskippable intros made failure even more painful.

I might dig out the DS and play a bit more Ouendan.

Might even remain one of my favourite games of all time, and I'm certainly not changing my avatar any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 
Unpossible!

You can track Steam achievements now.

https://truesteamachievements.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:

Only for about 4 years or so. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Only for about 4 years or so. :D

They haven't had much traction in 4 years :) Thought I'd help out

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:21 
UltraMod

Nor has True Trophies, really. But TA seems to still be going strong.

I just think they were late to the market with PC as there are tons of them already.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:23 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
Nor has True Trophies, really. But TA seems to still be going strong.

I just think they were late to the market with PC as there are tons of them already.

I've just seen your signature :facepalm:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 
Comfortably Dumb

I signed up for a bit of a nose at my stats. Unsurprisingly, Binding of Isaac comes out top of my list -

Attachment:
steam.JPG

Not really sure why Hell Girls has that high a TSA score - it was a doddle to 100%

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:44 
UltraMod

1.1 is a pretty low ratio tbf.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 13:11 
Excellent Member

I only try to chase achievements in arcade-like games where it's fun to do so. Usually there's always a couple that are downright impossible for my (lack of) reflexes. So no, i don't 100%. Only games i did were adventure games who i couldn't avoid the achievements by just playing normally:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 13:12 
Excellent Member

I just remembered what a lovely game Odallus is. Brazil is really fertile ground for retro goodness these days.

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]