Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Election 2017
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:59 
Unpossible!

I'm at the polling station, 3rd in line, counting down to DEMOCRACY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 

Voted. I was seventh in the queue.

[Insert Hogarth photo here]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:04 

Russell and I always used to try to get first in line and then have breakfast out before arriving to work at 8, but I'm going at a more relaxed pace today and Darwin and I will have a toddle down to the polling station after breakfast and once we are both fully dressed for the weather :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 

I like the idea of an election breakfast. The pub opposite the usual polling station doesn't open until noon, alas, and stopped serving food recently.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:12 
Awesome
Yes

And I will be voting after work to do my bit.

I genuinely think voting should be mandatory; perhaps they should have postal ballots by default.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:16 

Kern wrote:
[Insert Hogarth photo here]

Ah, here it is:

North-east Oxfordshire, this morning:

Some background on these paintings:
History Today
Wikipedia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:16 
Prince of Fops

Mr Russell wrote:

I genuinely think voting should be mandatory; perhaps they should have postal ballots by default.

I postal voted for the first time this year. It's great. However, all that faffing with sticking one section in Envelope A, another in Envelope B, ensuring the right bit is showing through the envelope panel, and then getting the correct envelope in the other envelope, without covering up the correct address. I genuinely think that level of intellectual gymnastics would be beyond large swathes of our country.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:

We live in a free democracy where people are free to vote for whom they choose (or not). Forced voting is authoritarianism that I would not support.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:20 
Awesome
Yes

Findus Fop wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

I postal voted for the first time this year. It's great. However, all that faffing with sticking one section in Envelope A, another in Envelope B, ensuring the right bit is showing through the envelope panel, and then getting the correct envelope in the other envelope, without covering up the correct address. I genuinely think that level of intellectual gymnastics would be beyond large swathes of our country.

I didn't know any of that, having never voted by post, but it does sound more complicated than it needs to be.

Awesome
Yes

Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

We live in a free democracy where people are free to vote for whom they choose (or not). Forced voting is authoritarianism that I would not support.

Even if under such a system there would be a None Of The Above and/or Refuse To Vote option?

Gogmagog

Findus Fop wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Not in Bradford

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:21 

Findus Fop wrote:
I genuinely think that level of intellectual gymnastics would be beyond large swathes of our country.

I'm more worried about the risk to the secrecy of the ballot that goes with postal voting. Being able to vote in a booth, by yourself, is the only way we can know you're doing so freely and without intimidation.

I understand the point of mandatory voting, but I'm against it because I think it's a civic duty you should do willingly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:27 

MaliA wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Not in Bradford

Yeah, that's definitely one problem with postal or internet voting, how to ensure that everyone actually gets to make their own choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:28 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Oh, christ. I agree with myp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The realistic outcome of a non-forced voting system however is that the country's future is decided by selfish narrow-minded old people, because they're the ones that turn out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 
Unpossible!

They should hold the election in the winter, on a Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:43 

DavPaz wrote:
They should hold the election in the winter, on a Saturday.

I'd be up for weekend voting. Or at the very least make it a bank holiday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:48 

MaliA wrote:
Oh, christ. I agree with myp.

Pollsters call it 'Shy Myppism'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:54 

Cras wrote:
The realistic outcome of a non-forced voting system however is that the country's future is decided by selfish narrow-minded old people, because they're the ones that turn out.

On the other hand, in a forced voting system (which I don't support, in shock "agrees with myp" news) what's to say that the young wouldn't just turn out but spoil their ballot/refuse to vote/vote none of the above or whatever in protest to being forced to vote?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:02 
UltraMod

Don't feel shy agreeing with me! I'm brilliant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:13 

I drove past a polling station this morning (not in my constituency) and who I can only assume was the Lib Dem candidate (or a supporter, at least) was stood outside the polling station - directly outside the entrance - wearing a yellow rosette.

I thought wearing political symbols etc. like that was illegal when in/outside a polling station on election day?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 
Awesome
Yes

GazChap wrote:
Cras wrote:

On the other hand, in a forced voting system (which I don't support, in shock "agrees with myp" news) what's to say that the young wouldn't just turn out but spoil their ballot/refuse to vote/vote none of the above or whatever in protest to being forced to vote?

Well that's the idea, but at least then you have an idea of how many people are actively disengaged with politics rather than passively disengaged.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:15 

What do people reckon then? I reckon that the Tories will gain about 30 seats or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:16 

GazChap wrote:
I drove past a polling station this morning (not in my constituency) and who I can only assume was the Lib Dem candidate (or a supporter, at least) was stood outside the polling station - directly outside the entrance - wearing a yellow rosette.

I thought wearing political symbols etc. like that was illegal when in/outside a polling station on election day?

I think they can't enter the station itself but they can be outside so long as they're not blocking it. Which reminds me: remember you are not obliged to give your electoral number to anyone outside.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:16 

markg wrote:
What do people reckon then? I reckon that the Tories will gain about 30 seats or so.

Tory majority of 50-60ish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
Cras wrote:

But, as I said last night, that's better than not voting at all.

At least when you spoil your paper (although it's not something I personally agree with, surely there is always a "least worst" candidate?) you're saying "everything sucks, you don't represent me!" - when you don't show up you're saying "I'm a lazy apathetic twat".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:19 
UltraMod

Tory majority of 50+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:23 
UltraMod

Spoiling your ballot is an utter waste of time. I know we talk about this every time, but they are never counted as part of official statistics. So those writing 'none of the above' protest votes are treated in the same way as someone accidentally crossing two candidates.

But whatever makes you feel good, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:25 
Awesome
Yes

Lonewolves wrote:
Spoiling your ballot is an utter waste of time. I know we talk about this every time, but they are never counted as part of official statistics. So those writing 'none of the above' protest votes are treated in the same way as someone accidentally crossing two candidates.

But whatever makes you feel good, I guess.

Under the current system, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:28 

Are the #usepens twats active this year?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:35 
Unpossible!

markg wrote:

Hung Parliament

/Blind Optimism

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Hung parliament, leading to civil disturbances, rioting, civil war, paramilitary death squads and Britain ending up as a barren, burnt out, poisoned wasteland.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:46 

DavPaz wrote:
markg wrote:

Hung Parliament

/Blind Optimism

I'd like a hung parliament, a multi-party push for a decent voting system, and politicians being realistic and honest to the public about Brexit. I'd also like to teach the world to sing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:47 

Squirt wrote:
civil disturbances, rioting, civil war, paramilitary death squads and Britain ending up as a barren, burnt out, poisoned wasteland.

Yes, but mustn't grumble.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:47 

It's certainly interesting, I wonder if there aren't perhaps going to be more than a few shy defectors out there. I was talking to my dad who's 80 and he's said that he's spoken to a couple of people who were lifelong Tory voters who had said that this time around they'd be voting Labour. I think that if they hadn't fucked up the NHS and then announced the dementia tax that it would be an absolute landslide.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:49 
Awesome
Yes

I think even with the NHS cuts, the school cuts, the local services cuts, the police cuts, the dementia tax, the U-turns on everything, the human rights act scrapping etc the Tories will still up their majority by around 20 seats.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:50 

markg wrote:
It's certainly interesting, I wonder if there aren't perhaps going to be more than a few shy defectors out there. .

Mrs May's weaknesses as a political leader have come to the fore in a way I didn't expect. That won't bode well for her long-term political future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 
SavyGamer

I sometimes wonder if some kind of demographic weighting could improve the democratic process, whereby your vote was multiplied by a certain proportion designed to eliminate disproportionate power in the hands of groups by age, gender, ethnicity etc.

I doubt it could be perfectly implemented, but it could result in a vote outcome that is more representative of the population as a whole, not just those who vote.

Edit: PR would obviously be better than FPTP too.

Edit2: and I don't think it will happen any time soon, but eventually I think Labour should push for PR. It wouldn't benefit Labour so much, but it would benefit the Left as a whole.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 
sneering elitist

Kern wrote:
Are the #usepens twats active this year?

I've seen a few but it's mostly piss-taking.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:54 

LewieP wrote:
I sometimes wonder if some kind of demographic weighting could improve the democratic process, whereby your vote was multiplied by a certain proportion designed to eliminate disproportionate power in the hands of groups by age, gender, ethnicity etc.

Sadly, this has the potential to go wrong very quickly, as the legacy of Jim Crow reminds us.

I'm also uncomfortable with the idea that some people are more equal than others. Otherwise, we might as well go back to only landowners having the vote. Heck, at the start of WW1 only 60% of males, and 0% of females, had the franchise.

EDIT: strikeout because I shouldn't feel sad about this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 

LewieP wrote:

I doubt it could be perfectly implemented, but it could result in a vote outcome that is more representative of the population as a whole, not just those who vote.

That's a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 

I think LewieP might have something in mind akin to the Irish Senate, elected by various 'vocational panels' composed of organisations representing different elements of society.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:03 

Of course, until 1950 I'd have had an additional vote for a university seat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 

Kern wrote:
Which reminds me: remember you are not obliged to give your electoral number to anyone outside.

Could you expand on this? See, I'm sure I almost black out when I get there, because I'm always confused to what's happened. I've spoken to Russell about it before, but I always think they've taken my card, then given me my voting slip, written down my voting slip number next to my name and made a note of my register number, which Russell has said can't be right. Russell, when you go tonight can you just pay attention to what they actually do, as they distracted me today talking about dinosaurs.

Oh, and today they said there's new rules where they tear up your polling card and you are obliged to take it back with you (which I guess is yo prevent election fraud, though I'm not sure how that is abu use if you don't take your card with you)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

LewieP wrote:

"A whole count of each free person, and 2/3 of all other persons"?

When the precedent is slavery, I'm not convinced it's something people would go for...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:14 

Mimi wrote:
Kern wrote:
Which reminds me: remember you are not obliged to give your electoral number to anyone outside.

Could you expand on this? See, I'm sure I almost black out when I get there, because I'm always confused to what's happened.

You go into the polling station, the official asks for your address and name, and issues you with a ballot form. See: https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/how-d ... -in-person.

People outside the polling station, called 'tellers', are party activists checking their lists to see who's voted so they can decide where to mobilise their get-out-the-vote campaigns.
If anyone makes you feel unhappy or unsafe in or around the polling station, find an official and tell them.First time I voted I felt very uncomfortable going in and going out but these days I just walk straight past the party people and don't make eye contact.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:18 

So, here's my solutions (not entirely serious that these are workable or the right thing, but I'm chucking them out there):

1) Minimum voting age is 18, disproportionately caring for the interests of the older end of the population. Make the maximum voting age -18 years the average mortality age.

2) Let parents vote by proxy for their children.

Of course they don't work, but meh, today I wish they did.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I reckon the Tories gain 48 seats.

Kern wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Kern wrote:

Could you expand on this? See, I'm sure I almost black out when I get there, because I'm always confused to what's happened.

You go into the polling station, the official asks for your address and name, and issues you with a ballot form. See: https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/how-d ... -in-person.

People outside the polling station, called 'tellers', are party activists checking their lists to see who's voted so they can decide where to mobilise their get-out-the-vote campaigns.
If anyone makes you feel unhappy or unsafe in or around the polling station, find an official and tell them.First time I voted I felt very uncomfortable going in and going out but these days I just walk straight past the party people and don't make eye contact.

Ah, no, these aren't people outside, these are the people behind the desk that issue the ballot paper, that cross your name off of the list. I just wanted to know what the number is that they write down.

Nobody outside the polling station has ever asked my number. I think the only guy there is a security guard

Soopah red DS

Very friendly, smiley person outside Whitstable's polling station this morning, and whoever she represents I'm happy to give my number - it's either 'oh arse, not one of ours' or 'good, don't need to knock there later, then'. It ought to help your party but not actually help the other. I suppose you could game it by promising (say) the Tories your vote, then not telling them you've voted, and hoping they waste time chasing you later.

I have not given info before, but either because I didn't understand what they wanted - they don't say - or because I didn't want to drop down the queue. Not a problem at 8.15. No one else there.

Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next