And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Prey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 19:43 
Thanks

Pundabaya wrote:
Doc, what did you think about the [spolier]tedious massive enemy that shows up every so often after a certain point, where you have to hide from it (or defeat it, but it takes so many resources to kill it it's not worth it, and it'll show up a bit later anyway)? [/Spoiler] It was the other thing that made me say "I can't be arsed with this game other than the combat.

Worst spoiler ever! It's not really a spoiler anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

The combat is what put me off this game, faffing about making bullets and then stressing if you were supposed to use the resources for other things or if you were doing the encounters 'wrong' somehow. The combat always seemed fiddly and unsatisfying, and I found myself wishing they'd just put fucking ammo crates in it.

I will return to it at some point, swallow my pride and whack it onto EASY mode as DocG suggests. I loved the setting and the characters, the writing, the graphical style (although the graphics themselves were really quite shonky in places), the audio design and so on. The combat was plain poor though.

In Dishonored 1 and 2 for example, there were all kinds of elegant ways you could approach the baddies, both lethal and non-lethal, but if you brought it down to brass tacks the game entirely accommodated simply picking off your enemies one at a time with a nice clean slit of the throat, and that felt satisfying to execute - there's no such sense in Prey.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 20:10 

Re: the spoiler

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
One nullwave grenade to make it hold still and stop shitting out fireballs, followed by 2-3 recycler grenades kill it every time. Bish bash bosh. If you kill it it won't come back for at least 30 minutes. I killed it seven times. You also get ~10 of the exotic material for doing this.

There's also a mission to give you a code that can make it fuck off up to four times. I used that at the end of the game, to simply get it to go away so I could do something.

Again, I think it's a better game on Easy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 
Thanks

Nice piece about this game here.

NOTE - Bit spoilery if you haven't played the game, at least the first couple of hours of it.

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2