Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prey
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 
Bad Girl

I don't know about you lot but I've not been interested in nuPrey at all. I watched a video where you turned into a mug of tea or whatever but it wasn't exactly going to light a fire under your genitals.

So when there was the first 35 minutes released I thought "meh, I'm in the bath I might as well give it 10 minutes" and sat through the lot. Completely spoiled the opening section of course, like a dick, but I was never going to pick it up anyway, so I thought.

Turns out it looks pretty darn fab. If, unlike me, you were interested in this don't watch the video below at all. Seriously. The opening section is great: moody, atmospheric and twisty. It looks and plays like a combination of Dead Space, Deux Ex and Bioshock. If that doesn't sound like your thing then you must be dead inside.

Graphically it looks the business and is apparently running on a PS4 judging from the button prompts but it looks a little too slick for my liking.

So anyway, here's Prey's first 35 minutes. You just might find this ends up pretty good. Stupid 2017 with all its decent games coming out. Gah.

Post subject: Re: Prey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 18:00 
Bad Girl

You can play the first hour of this soon in a big ole demo. As nicked from some Reddit user, details are:

Quote:
For those that don't want to click the video and just want to know about the demo.

Demo's dropping April 27th on PS4 and Xone.

The game "will be available on May 5, 2017, on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 18:05 
Bad Girl

Demo is available now. I hear it's pretty fucking good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 18:12 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
Demo is available now. I hear it's pretty fucking good.

It's definitely available as I've downloaded it on the PS4 but i haven't tried it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:22 
SavyGamer

I definitely want to and will play this, but I've got a massive pile of games I've bought and not yet played, so it can wait til it's cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 
Lupine member

I don't know anything about this, but I enjoyed the Prey game on the 360. Is it linked to that in some way?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 
SavyGamer

Lonewolves wrote:
I don't know anything about this, but I enjoyed the Prey game on the 360. Is it linked to that in some way?

You have to use an existing IP just to make it today.

Not really all that related. This new one is like a system shock spiritual sequel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 17:48 

This took a long time to click with me but it's properly under my skin now. It's very much a System Shock style game, and although it also feels a lot like Bioshock at times I think that's more shared geneology than anything. It's a cousin to Bioshock, not a descendant.

Example: even the weakest enemy is quite tough, especially in numbers, and the second weakest one is very dangerous. You see them correspondingly rarely, and when you do, you take time to plan your fight -- pick your battleground, consider your approach. Coupled with no regnerating health and a finite supply of medpacs means it's a slow, thoughtful game. I like that.

Plot wise I'm early but it's very engaging so far. It's doing some interesting things with player choice and Mrs Doc informs me it has multiple endings (she completed it several times.)

It's definitely a game with lots of secrets, too. Hidden areas, little physics puzzles (that feel very Half-Life), clues hidden in recordings and emails -- again, it rewards thoughtfulness and attentiono to detail.

The controls still aren't great on PS4 -- early versions had bad input lag, which has been partially resolved in later patches but it's still a bit sluggish. This was mildly irritating at first but I've stopped noticing it now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 18:15 
Thanks

I am very shortly going to be looking for my next game to play as I'm almost finished on my High Chaos runthrough of Dishonored 2, and Prey sort of piqued my interest earlier in the year but I was in PC-crappo-zone at the time so gave it a pass. (A situation which has been remedied now, of course.)

Keys are going for £13.69 on G2A which is more appealing than the £29.99 Steam want for it.

I may well give this a go.

EDIT - Got a key from G2A, it actually came to £14.57p as they added on 88p for a 'payment fee', whatever that's supposed to be. I thought paying for something kind of was the fee for getting what it is you're buying. Whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 18:31 

I think you'll enjoy Prey.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 18:48 
Bad Girl

Yeah, really looking forward to playing this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 23:21 
Excellent Member

I really liked the feel and the style of this (from playing the demo) but pretty much the first enemy encounter was like fighting Half Life headcrabs on crack so it got fucked off very quickly indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 23:26 

There are a lot of fast moving head crabs, yes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 23:27 
Thanks

I've been cheerfully killing head crabs since 1998. I expect no problems in that department.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 23:57 

Let me know how that works you for you...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 22:55 
Thanks

OK so I'm three hours in now and I've had to deal with a fair few head crabs, specifically with just my trusty wrench in the first couple of levels (I do have a couple of guns now, although even when I got the GOO GUN thing I was quite happy to eschew it in favour of pure wrench action).

Not sure what the big deal is with them though? Just track them round, strafe/backtrack as necessary, give them a few whacks, or a SUPER CHARGED WHACK if you're in the mood, and they die quite easily. I had three of the buggers on me at one point and didn't feel particularly pressured. (Half Life 101, really.) Plus you get to loot them for things now as well. Progress!

I am very much liking the game, although amusingly it's a Bethesda/Arkane production just like Dishonored 2 so the splash screens are (mostly) the same and the controls are mostly the same and the art direction has a very familiar feel etc.

Anyway, head crabs, no big deal, total Level 1 hit them on the head and they die baddies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 23:02 

Heh, fair enough. I found them a wee bit harder to deal with because they move quite fast and hit quite hard. Maybe I'm just a bad shot with the GLOO gun though (which is my favoured tactic.)

The reveal
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
that you're not really in your apartment
is pretty cool. Have you gotten as far as the January and December protocols yet?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 
Rude Belittler

It reminded me of Bioshock a lot, in that the opening is really strong... and then (outsde of a few set pieces) it really went downhill. But at least Splicers and Big Daddies were (mostly, those late game bullet sponges can fuck right off) fun to fight.

I didn't get anywhere near completing the game, because I just couldn't be arsed with the combat anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 
Excellent Member

I do remember one review, maybe in RPS comparing this to Metroid Prime. Is it true in any way?

I liked System Shock 2 which apparently is the other point of comparison, but Dishonoured did nothing for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 16:20 
What-ho, chaps!

Play Prey Today. It's a good thing. But if you don't like difficult things, play it on Easy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:11 
Thanks

I'm not feeling a huge amount of love for the combat in this. I've got a decent selection of weapons, including a powerful shotgun and a not very powerful silenced pistol, as well as the GLOO GUN, a stun pistol type thing, and a selection of grenadey type things (EMP/stun/etc) - but none of them appear to be much good.

I'm playing on NORMAL skill level.

The headcrabs I'm fine with, I can kill those all day with my wrench alone no problem and take zero damage in the process.

The bigger baddies are arseholes though. The shotgun makes decently quick work of them but fuck me ammo is in short supply, so if I want to keep it supplied with shells I have to constantly feed mountains of junk into the recyclers to get cubes, and then I can put the cubes in fabricators to make more shells - which is basically just a slow, shit version of ammo crates.

As such I've tried to find other ways to take them down, using a combination of some or all of the environment (things I can make blow up for example), stuns, GLOO and so on - but none of these seem very effective, for example the GLOO keeps them in place for about 4 seconds which is scarcely enough time to run up and hit them once with the wrench, plus they fucking teleport all over the place, and have ranged attacks, which makes it even more annoying, and they're bastard tough as well. (And if they get a hit on you, BANG, half your health is gone.)

Therefore every combat encounter ends up feeling scrappy and messy, seems to expend far more resources than I would want, and leaves me having taken damage to both my health and suit, which I have all the necessary things to heal/repair, but after the ability to plan and execute 'clean' takedowns (either lethal or non-lethal) in Dishonored 2, it all feels quite clunky and frustrating.

I've been collecting all the neuromods and spending them judiciously, and indeed doing my 'completionist' style play, finding everything, doing the side missions, finding all the goodies etc - so it's not like I've missed key stuff to improve my character.

The game has been advising me to try stealth attacks to do more damage, which works to a point but after the first sneaky attacks you still have a big bastard alien with a large health pool remaining, teleporting all over the place shooting death bolts at you.

Also the graphics are rubbish, I can tell it's not even remotely taxing my PC as the fans on my graphic card hardly spin up at all, and this is with everything totally maxed out. I know graphics don't make the game, but sometimes this looks like a game that's travelled in time from a decade ago. The graphic style is great, but it needs more shinies. I love the audio design though.

Thinking about it I do have some weapon upgrade kits, which I wasn't wanting to start using yet, but it seems like I might have to.

I dunno, it's entirely possible I'm just shit and/or missing some simple mechanics, but after the towering majesty of Dishonored 2 (which, it has to be said, I was pretty fucking handy at), Prey seems rather limited in the combat department.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's far too difficult and I can't get anywhere, but I can't seem to get into my groove with the combat and it frustrates me - I have an aversion to having to heal up after fights and repair my suit and shit like that, it says to me I'm not doing it properly and it feels bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:34 

I did say it was hard! I've dropped the game to Easy and I find the gunplay more enjoyable there. Like you, I want to micro-optimise every encounter, and was finding that annoying. On easy I can improvise knowing the game won't punish me for small missteps.

The Combat Focus (slow time) ability helps a lot with keeping stuff under control.

Have you got the Psychscope yet? That'll open the game up a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 

Also get the "20% more material for recycling" buff as early as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 18:34 
What-ho, chaps!

I used the Psychoscope's zero-cost SUPERHOT slowmotion to get around, above and through so many obstacles the game might as well be turn based for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 18:48 

Zero cost slow mo? What?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 19:58 
What-ho, chaps!

Aiming a PSI power halts time ("LIKE TIME ITSELF HAD BENT ITS KNEE WAITING FOR YOU TO DECIDE, MORRRGAAAAN"), from there it advances while you move at the speed you move. You don't have to fire your PSI... you can just stay in aiming and creep around with time flowing however you please.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 20:08 

Oh, right... Yes, true!

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]