Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:33 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Interestingly I headed the other way and went for the Zora first (Hefalump divine beast)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 20:17 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Interestingly I headed the other way and went for the Zora first (Hefalump divine beast)

Is that the one in the bottom right of the map? Once I'd got the four beasts main missions open rather than go straight to the nearest beast I went right back to the start to see if I could climb a big wall. It was a ball ache but then I couldn't stop going from tower to tower!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 0:01 
8-Bit Champion

Top right - I started out - was heading in the rough direction of the first point on the map and got a little diverted (because of a one hit killer guardian and a big rock monster that came out of the ground) and then all the Zora kept telling me I had to go see the prince.

So I did , got more of the story background and did the beast - this was before I sorted my slate or spoke to Impa (which i think is supposed to be your first step once you leave the plane)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 13:42 
Bad Girl

I've just done the elephant. I'm really enjoying the Devine Beasts challenges an' all. They have the usual Zelda dungeon trope of having one trick but using it especially well. Seems a shame that there's apparently only 4 of the big buggers.

I liked that the elephant quests leads you down a linear path too, because I thought I was just going to show up and do the boss but the route to get there was an interesting change.

Good this Zelda, init; it's a world of surprises.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 14:03 
Bad Girl

Well that sodding camel almost gave me a nervous breakdown. Thank god I left that till last or it might have coloured my whole opinion of the game.

I've done over 50 shrines and I reckon I'm done with searching them out even if they pop up on the radar. They've become a bit of a nuisance now I've got the whole map unlocked and enough hearts, stamina and a full contingent of food to get me through any fight I come across.

I'd found two of the princess memories which were interesting but I've absolutely no desire to search them out myself across the game continent so I'm going to use a map to see all the hidden cut scenes. I'm surprised they've unlocked the backstory to the princess behind an impossible treasure hunt since without that story I'd have little motivation to even bother to rescue her. And one of the photographs is just of some random wooded wood!? Not a distinguishable landmark on sight. It's nonsense.

Anyhoo, onto the final fight but I was thinking of picking up the master sword which was mentioned about once and no main mission had popped up to direct me where to go. Of all the interesting places I've got a couple of mazes marked on the map and some foggy forest that kicked me out when I tried to float into it so it's probably about but a clue would be nice.

Still good, but after tens of hours (I don't know how long I've been playing it because there's no stats or nowt. Tch) I want to see some resolution.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 14:21 
Paws for thought

Satsuma wrote:
I'd found two of the princess memories which were interesting but I've absolutely no desire to search them out myself across the game continent so I'm going to use a map to see all the hidden cut scenes. I'm surprised they've unlocked the backstory to the princess behind an impossible treasure hunt since without that story I'd have little motivation to even bother to rescue her. And one of the photographs is just of some random wooded wood!? Not a distinguishable landmark on sight. It's nonsense.

Anyhoo, onto the final fight but I was thinking of picking up the master sword which was mentioned about once and no main mission had popped up to direct me where to go. Of all the interesting places I've got a couple of mazes marked on the map and some foggy forest that kicked me out when I tried to float into it so it's probably about but a clue would be nice.

Sword is in the foresty kicking out Ness. If you'd followed the storage upgradey tree mission, it'd easily lead you to this.

As for the photos, they were typically helped by the painter dude at the ranches. If he didn't help, the landmark was fairly easily recognisable.

I quite enjoyed searching them out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 14:26 
8-Bit Champion

Satsuma wrote:
Still good, but after tens of hours (I don't know how long I've been playing it because there's no stats or nowt. Tch) I want to see some resolution.

There is a timer somewhere in one of the menus

And after you've finished it

This is from the Summer Games Done Quick a few weeks ago - whole game completed without glitches (sorta) in 45 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ccTpwEcp8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 15:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think you'll struggle to defeat Ganon without the master sword and enough hearts/stamina to see you through.

Also, you won't get the 'proper' ending without all the memories. I too enjoyed searching them out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 15:21 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Sword is in the foresty kicking out Ness. If you'd followed the storage upgradey tree mission, it'd easily lead you to this.

What korok seeds guy? He's fucked off to his home world somewhere after he'd upgraded me so much he got bored. I imagine he's in the foggy forest then. I'll have a gander.

Quote:
As for the photos, they were typically helped by the painter dude at the ranches. If he didn't help, the landmark was fairly easily recognisable.

I quite enjoyed searching them out.

1) He does. I think he's at each stable but you'd have to find all the stables. I've no idea if there's only 12 stables or if there's more.
2) Only if you've been there. The world is absolutely massive and I can't be expected to have been absolutely eveywhere. The spot on the volcano is fucking ridiculous and there's no way that was "easily recognisable." Of course the volcano in the background is, it's a fucking volcano, but the volcano area is the size of most game worlds and the only helpful hint in the photo is "on a bit of rock."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 15:34 
8-Bit Champion

TheVision wrote:
I think you'll struggle to defeat Ganon without the master sword and enough hearts/stamina to see you through.

Ahem

zaphod79 wrote:
This is from the Summer Games Done Quick a few weeks ago - whole game completed without glitches (sorta) in 45 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ccTpwEcp8

They beat him mainly with the woodcutters axe that you get at the start of the game

Gannon fight starts around the 49 minute mark on the video

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:03 
Bad Girl

And another thing, it's a good job I turned the HUD to pro because the HUD is ugly. I turned it on to hunt stuff and I don't ever want to see it again. Don't get me wrong, it's got all the information you need in there but it hurts a beautiful game. So turn off the HUD, K?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 16:09 
8-Bit Champion

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/12/1522 ... ing-ethics

Interesting article

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 16:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You have to buy toys and scan them to unlock ingame items? Seriously, fuck Nintendo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 16:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 16:44 
sneering elitist

Cras wrote:
You have to buy toys and scan them to unlock ingame items? Seriously, fuck Nintendo.

Article says "mostly cosmetic items"

Doesn't seem like that big a deal if the items aren't stopping you from progressing in game?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 16:45 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:

I've got a couple of those gathering dust.

I imagine someone's come up with a similar game for smartphones where you can just use the camera instead. If not, someone should do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 17:39 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have one of these and I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate it into a game of Heroquest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 18:13 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:

Welcome to 2013(? I think)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 18:41 

Cras wrote:

One of the Viva Piñata games did this back in... whenever Viva Pinata was.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 21:22 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

There is a timer somewhere in one of the menus

Well I've checked every menu and it's completely absent. A google search reveals others complaining on Reddit that there isn't any way to check your total playtime.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 23:46 
8-Bit Champion

Satsuma wrote:
Well I've checked every menu and it's completely absent. A google search reveals others complaining on Reddit that there isn't any way to check your total playtime.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707- ... d/75229650

Typical nintendo it gives it a very rough time - I'm sure I've also seen it come up when someone else on my friends list starts a game to say they have spent '96 hours' on it (think that was TheVision)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 0:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

zaphod79 wrote:
I'm sure I've also seen it come up when someone else on my friends list starts a game to say they have spent '96 hours' on it (think that was TheVision)

:excellent:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 17:56 
Bad Girl

I thought there might be a checkpoint at the top of the castle and accidentally walked into the boss fight. Whoops. Will it let me walk around after I spank him or shall I revert to an earlier save?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 18:06 
Bad Girl

Deadid him anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 19:14 
Bad Girl

WTF, that second stage was GARBAGE!?

He never once turned to fire at me once! I never got hit and the fight was just target practice. Shoot these 3 massive targets. Now shoot these 2 massive targets.

Just...laughable. I reckon I could take the first form of Ganon with 4 hearts, no divine beasts and just the badass weapons from the armoury in the castle. Tch. But I can't be bothered.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 19:41 
Paws for thought

Satsuma wrote:

He never once turned to fire at me once! I never got hit and the fight was just target practice. Shoot these 3 massive targets. Now shoot these 2 massive targets.

It's quite frustrating of you don't switch to the shiny shiny arrows.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 19:59 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

It's quite frustrating of you don't switch to the shiny shiny arrows.

You're a knob.

The whole final phase was quite daft any way.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
She pops up and says "Link use the magic bow" and I'm like "shit, I've not heard of that, I've only got the sodding sword" and then the magic bow floats out of the air because um stuff.

Then she's talking to the player like they've never played a game before. "Link, shoot the highlighted areas". They couldn't even be bothered to make up some excuse why he had shiny spots on him "Link I'm channelling my powers to expose his weak areas" or some shit would have been better

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 16:09 
Bad Girl

I've never played Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I reckon if I had, and assuming I'd have been bumming it like so many people do, my mind would probably be blown by this.

So when I come across Ranch Ruins it's just an otherwise empty place. I really feel like I've missed something not playing the OG years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 16:10 
Bad Girl

I never played Super Metroid or Super Castlevania. Jesus, I'm shit at Nintendoing.

I might have to keep the WiiU out to download them for a premium price.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 16:57 
Excellent Member

Ocarina of Time was great at the time but I'm not sure how well it'll have aged. Just the inability to directly control the camera might make playing it a pain in the ass when you're used to modern games.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 17:09 
Bad Girl

That's why I think it's a shame that I didn't play it years ago. I doubt I'll think it's The Best Game of All Time by today's standards.

If you're the type of person who has fond memories of OoT and remember locations and guff though, you'll surely get loads out of BOTW and more than me. It's a super game for those who haven't played though but I wish I could have been riding around and stumbling into the ruins of some place I'd visited in the early games and experienced the melancholy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 17:18 
8-Bit Champion

There are updates for OOT and MM for the 3ds which do update some of the camera issues but while they were mind blowing at the time a lot of what they did really well has been copied over and over

If you played them before you'll probably still like them , for a newbie I think you'd get bored with them (whereas I think the overhead ones like ALTTP and MC hold up a lot more now)

Have you played *any* Metroid or Castlevania ?

Metroid in particular I think would be something you'd really enjoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 17:45 
Bad Girl

Weird for a gamer not to have played these games, init.

I've never played a 2D Metroid!

I've played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (awesome sauce), OG Castlevania (Yawn) and Castlevania: Lords of whatever it was (Really good actually).

What's on your list of things "games people always talk about but you've never played"?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 18:58 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Sounds like a good idea for a thread!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 22:39 
sneering elitist

I've played Ocarina of Time a few times recently and apart from the fact that the graphics are shit stretched out on a massive screen it's still an awesome game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 22:41 
sneering elitist

Satsuma wrote:
What's on your list of things "games people always talk about but you've never played"?

Final Fantasy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 23:23 
8-Bit Champion

Jem wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Final Fantasy

Yeah but which :-)

I really liked II on the SNES (american so was actually FFIV)

And yeah i think a separate thread would make more sense than cluttering up the Zelda one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 23:25 
sneering elitist

All of them :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 13:00 
sneering elitist

Pre-ordered a switch yesterday with my overdraft like a responsible adult yay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 15:25 
sneering elitist

Switch arrived yesterday. Played 10 hours of Zelda in one sitting.

I REALLY suck at it. I don't know whether it's because I've not really been into many games lately or whether it's just harder but I have died about 10 times, despite the fact that I can get through Ocarina of Time etc without dying more than once or twice. Most of the deaths have been me falling off really high things (sometimes forgetting to take out the glidey thingy). :S Still enjoying it so far though. Thankful for the autosave.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 15:58 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

You will die a lot but that's not a bad thing. The autosaves are quite generous.

We need to share friend codes!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 16:09 
Excellent Member

I realise I'm late to this conversation but I've been playing this for a few solid days now and blimey but I think it may be the best game I've ever played on any system. I'm sure sober recollection will prove me wrong and I'll happily plump for Cities Skylines or something as actually being my wonderous favouritist but yeah... wow.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 16:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

TheVision wrote:
In short, best game ever.

Past Vision was right all along.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 16:40 
Paws for thought

I've started playing Hyrulw warriors: age of calamity

Which is an entirely different game (Much fighting) , but set in the past events. Hoping it will continue to be good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:10 
Can you dig it?

After all my initial excitement and eagerness we finally got a Switch (for the kids) for Christmas and then in Jan picked up Zelda BOTW.

It was worth the (long) wait and I'm really enjoying it, fabulous game. Hyrule really seems like a living place with people coming and going.

Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next