Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Post subject: Line Rental
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 13:35 
Excellent Member

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/de ... nonqroll/g

Vodafone are now doing broadband for £31 a month with no line rental (£28 if your a VF customer )

They are offering the BT Infinity 1&2 packages of 38\76 so if you have this already you should be able to get the VF deal

You look to be able to keep your phone number as well.

I checked the website Friday and couldn't get it, but can now, so guess they are still updating in the background.

Good saving I pay £32.50 for 76MB broadband and £19 for line rental, my wife has a phone with them so should be able to get the £28 deal.

Post subject: Re: Line Rental
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 13:47 

I'll check that out, I think it's time for us to change our broadband soon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 13:59 
Prince of Fops

We went with Vodafone back in November and I've been impressed. Speed seems good, have much less in the way of outages than our previous provider (BT).

Still not perfect, had one outage for a few hours one evening, but they were responsive in resolving it.

Their CRM systems seem to be a bit of a clusterfuck, they frequently got my address wrong when sending me things (the router) and seemed incapable of updating that on the system. And they forgot to book my network installation, which meant we were a couple of weeks late getting internet.

BUT! That resulted in one of their team going rogue, a mad Irish feller who kept apologising down the phone (I wasn't terribly bothered, we weren't in the property yet). He ended up slashing my 24-month mobile contract (with which I'd got a new S7) to 12 months, free spotify and increased my data allowance from 10GB to 25GB and reduced the cost of my mobile tariff from £35 to £25.

A month later I queried something with Vodafone, and their person couldn't understand why I was getting the package I was getting. I explained, she investigated, and it sounded like the mad Irish chap was no longer there, and had been pulling similar tricks (presumably he'd found an angle to work). They've let me keep the new arrangement.

In summary: good internet service, mad customer service.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:07 

They consistently rank as the one UK company with the worst customer service imaginable, so I'll steer clear ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:11 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:
They consistently rank as the one UK company with the worst customer service imaginable, so I'll steer clear ;)

That's surely Virgin Media

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:12 
Excellent Member

Reading online that VF are really dicks over giving out the username and password for the service so you can use your own router.

By all accounts the router they provide is shit, and you can't even change the DCHP on it.

Its very hit and miss to get the details, some get it straight away, others have had to try and try again, this is all from a VF forum.

When I called pre sales the were evasive saying they couldn't comment on it either way.

So not sure I can be arsed with this sort of hassle. So might try and see what BT can do first.

Shame as its a good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:13 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:

No VF get this "Award" most years:) Thought that was for mobiles more though?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Curiosity wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I'm with Virgin Media and have been for years and I've never had a problem with their customer service. It takes ages to be answered on the phone, but that's the same everywhere surely? Everyone I've dealt with has been fine and helped me with my particular problems. I could have been lucky mind, but still...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:15 
Unpossible!

Vodafone and NPower are tied for the worst companies in my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:15 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Virgin are incredible in that they have achieved (for me) one of the best service provisions I've consistently received whilst being the worst customer service provider (by far) when I've had to deal with them. Took the 9 months to install a phone line at my old place and I couldn't speak to them as they only accepted calls that they could trace their 'own' number through to - so calling on a mobile constantly reached a dead end.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:19 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I'm with Virgin Media and have been for years and I've never had a problem with their customer service. It takes ages to be answered on the phone, but that's the same everywhere surely? Everyone I've dealt with has been fine and helped me with my particular problems. I could have been lucky mind, but still...

I've been with them for years too and the only thing that annoys is me that their online tool to help diagnose connection issues never works, meaning I have to phone them up.

Oh and there was one time when I was having a few days of dropped connections and the helpdesk person put me on to an engineer who suggested I disable the security on the router. Er, no.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:21 
Unpossible!

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Virgin are incredible in that they have achieved (for me) one of the best service provisions I've consistently received whilst being the worst customer service provider (by far) when I've had to deal with them.

That's spot on. Never had a problem with the actual service, but woe betide those that need to call.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 15:36 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Virgin are incredible in that they have achieved (for me) one of the best service provisions I've consistently received whilst being the worst customer service provider (by far) when I've had to deal with them.

That's spot on. Never had a problem with the actual service, but woe betide those that need to call.

Yes BT are the same, sometimes the speed of downloads drops by 100-200k on mine.

Just not worth calling as you get a script reading liar who will tell you need to re sign for 18 months to get the latest router to fix all your issues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 16:10 
Excellent Member

Plus Net have joined in now, you can get Infinity 2 for £32.50 including line rental, there is a £60 one off charge.

I'm paying £51.50 from BT and there is a price increase due as well, called them and they managed to offer me it @£47.50 if I sign for 24 months :roll:

Just need to check that Plusnet will let me keep my router, they offer this on the sign up page, but need to make sure my router is the right type.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 16:18 
Decapodian

I'm going through the same process at the moment as my discounted deal from BT has gone up once by a couple of quid mid-term, then by about 15 at the end and will rise again soon.
Vodafone are cheap and don't traffic manage but have shit routers.
EE are cheap with decent routers but throttle quite badly.
First Utility look ok at £32 for unlimited 78mb fibre with no traffic management but it's tied to your energy contract as well.

I'll try BT again later as last year they offered a crap discount first time round then improved noticeably.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 16:21 
UltraMod

I'm just leaving Plusnet as their router is terrible, Vodafone can't be worse than that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 16:24 
Comfortably Dumb

Lonewolves wrote:
I'm just leaving Plusnet as their router is terrible, Vodafone can't be worse than that!

I've got the task of helping my parents migrate away from Plusnet. They're on the most basic of packages (at about £9 a month, which they no longer even offer via their site) and thanks to Mum's intent to download all of Facebook's photos, they need an upgrade. Tempted to stick them on Post Office's broadband when I can get round to sorting all the admin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 16:29 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:

PlusNet offer an option to keep you own router as long as its VDSL2 at purchase., so that makes them a lot better than VF in my book:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 16:53 
sneering elitist

Lonewolves wrote:

Why not just buy a decent router?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 17:28 
UltraMod

Jem wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Why not just buy a decent router?

Vodafone is also cheaper for a higher speed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 17:31 
sneering elitist

That's got nowt to do with the router though :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 18:24 
Unpossible!

Some companies refuse to give out ADSL usernames and passwords, hard coding them into the router.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 18:31 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:

Sad!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 18:33 
sneering elitist

DavPaz wrote:
Some companies refuse to give out ADSL usernames and passwords, hard coding them into the router.

Plusnet definitely aren't one of those companies, I was with them for years :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 18:42 
Unpossible!

Jem wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Plusnet definitely aren't one of those companies, I was with them for years :)

Hmmm. Then they really should just get a better router

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 19:39 
Decapodian

I've decided to go with EE in the end as BT were refusing to budge. An 18 month contract at £37.50 a month for unlimited 78mb fibre, line rental and a freeview recorder with TV on demand, plus £137.50 cashback through quidco.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 21:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

At least it will stop EE from calling you up at all hours in the day and offering you broadband packages.

We had one the other day at about 9:30 at night. My wife answered and was understandably annoyed and the guys opening gambit included the line "There's no need to be rude".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 21:25 
Unpossible!

Every blessed month, the darlings at Virgin media try and 'save me money' by getting me to sign up their overpriced mobile deals. It's bad enough that I have to pay them for a land line that I don't use, I'm definitely not giving them any more money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 
Excellent Member

BT started taking the piss with pricing, they put up the cost of unlimited Infinity 2 and line rental to £53 a month.

Part of the justification was that they gave me 1TB of their cloud storage (which I didn't want)

So moved to Plusnet which is costing me £33.50 all in for the next 18 months with the same fibre deal and speed.

I called them beforehand to discuss the moving process and ordered it on the phone.

Made it clear I didn't want their router, they still sent one :roll:

This morning I get up and half the power is out in the house, (unrelated I think) so I flicked the breaker back in the garage, the power to the router etc had not been affected but no internet.

So I figure its change over day and enter the new details into my router, still no internet. Called them at 7.30 and get through straight away despite a message saying wait times are 15 min.

The girl told me I should have had a text and that the new service would go live before midnight today, just I was telling her how crap that was, I noticed the light on one of the Velop nodes had turned blue which means internet.

So all good, download speed is a bit slower but that's to be expected for the next 10 days.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]