Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 48
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
I have Prime, Netflix, Spotify, Audible, a TV license and a PSN subscription. Probably wrong of me but if there's the odd thing that's not on any of those that I want and I just download it I don't feel any guilt at all. Feel like I paid my entertainment taxes.

Same here, though with added Now Entertainment, Kids and Movies (I keep trying to cancel the latter but they keeping giving it to me for a couple of quid a month so I keep it).

I would download but my copy of Kazaa Gold no longer works.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
I've actually tried to find films to watch on Netflix a few times over the years and every time the process was lengthy, miserable and resulted in me either giving up or watching something just because I'd run out of patience looking rather than because I found something I genuinely wanted.

What device were you doing it on, a toaster?

On every interface I've seen there's a honking great big search box, and you type into it and click on the result, then click "play", or it's not there and you don't.

They don't hide stuff, do they?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:10 
Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I've actually tried to find films to watch on Netflix a few times over the years and every time the process was lengthy, miserable and resulted in me either giving up or watching something just because I'd run out of patience looking rather than because I found something I genuinely wanted.

On every interface I've seen there's a honking great big search box, and you type into it and click on the result, then click "play", or it's not there and you don't.

On my Sony TV you have to scroll up from the top row of film choices into a hidden search screen. So if you've been browsing down for sometime, you'll have a long way to go to get back to where you can search from.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:12 
Unpossible!

I have Prime, Netflix, audible and a TV licence. I buy the movies I really like through Google Play and I have a large collection of DVD and Blu-ray rips along with a fair few downloads.

I used to do lovefilm, but on the one- disc unlimited rentals deal I often felt they were deliberately slowing down the disc delivery to limit how much we could watch.

Also, physical media. Blerg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

No, I think he means that searching for specific films is pointless, it's not like finding music on Spotify because it probably won't be there and so you end up just browsing for something that takes your fancy using the vague categories and that gets tedious pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Findus Fop wrote:
On my Sony TV you have to scroll up from the top row of film choices into a hidden search screen. So if you've been browsing down for sometime, you'll have a long way to go to get back to where you can search from.

I wonder if Sony built the App, of if Netflix did?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:17 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

No, I think he means that searching for specific films is pointless, it's not like finding music on Spotify because it probably won't be there and so you end up just browsing for something that takes your fancy using the vague categories and that gets tedious pretty quickly.

Absolutely :this:. My comment didn't relate to the interface (because I know how to computer ffs!) but to the selection.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:19 

I'll tell you what's really fucking annoying on the playstation Netflix app, they've started playing little trailers when you pause over any selection for more than a second, except mostly it's not even a trailer, it's just some random bit of music and scenes from the film/programme. I don't think you can turn the feature off. It's horrible.

Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I wonder if Sony built the App, of if Netflix did?

Amazon did, betcha.

SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bamba wrote:
I managed to register on Cinema Paradiso and am now about halfway through migrating my Lovefilm list onto it; so far it's only failed to find a single entry ("AD/BD: A Rock Opera") which is cheering.

Is that because it's actually called AD/BC: A Rock Opera? ;)

In all seriousness though, I have a Netflix account (borrowed from a friend) and I've always found they they would rather suggest you watch things rather than you search for things. I can see how this wouldn't suit some people.. Me included.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:20 

markg wrote:
I'll tell you what's really fucking annoying on the playstation Netflix app, they've started playing little trailers when you pause over any selection for more than a second, except mostly it's not even a trailer, it's just some random bit of music and scenes from the film/programme. I don't think you can turn the feature off. It's horrible.
And then when you do actually find something you want to watch you now get a trailer for some Netflix exclusive thing that you never want to watch and have to skip past. >:(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 
Comfortably Dumb

markg wrote:

The Roku version of the app does the same thing, and it's irritating. As is automatically playing something that recommends when you've just finished a series.

Amazon's annoying tactic is showing a short ad before letting me watch what I selected. It's skippable after a bit, but considering I'm paying for it, I'd rather my on-demand service actually show me what I want straight off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 14:23 
Excellent Member

I heart Netflix more for the series then the films. 7 seasons of Star Trek TNG re watched and now on S4 of Deep Space Nine
Plus a load of nice original series. I do find it hard sometimes to find a nice new show especially to give a new show a chance if the first episode doesn't appeal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 15:33 
Excellent Member

Aye, Netflix is good for TV shows for sure; it's just films I find it lacking for.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 15:39 
Comfortably Dumb

Although I used Netflix/Amazon a lot, I would buy more stuff on the likes of Google Play if the prices were better. Special offer stuff on there seems to be no cheaper than £4.99 most of the time, which doesn't seem all that cheap when you're not getting any of the extras that you would if you were to buy the blu-ray.

On a related note, the rather scathing reviews for the Resident Evil Complete Collection are amusing. 'Complete' appears to mean 'Doesn't include the first film'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 15:53 
Unpossible!

devilman wrote:
On a related note, the rather scathing reviews for the Resident Evil Complete Collection are amusing. 'Complete' appears to mean 'Doesn't include the first film'

That one 5 star review dragging the average up :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 13:07 
Gogmagog

I wasn't fancying a sarnie and crisps for lunch, today, and thought I would have a pasty. I bob over to the bakery and they have Yorkshire Pasties. "These are", said the lady, "the same as Cornish Pasties but we can't call them that as thwy are not made in Cornwall". So I buy one. They are not the same at all. Crimped on top, with minced beef and it had peas in them. Disgusting. Waste of £1.05. After eating it, I went Tesco and bought their Cornish pasty. Which had holes in the top. Bloody hell. It was a poor pasty, but better than the Yorkshire monstrosity.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 13:12 
Hibernating Druid

Did you break off a corner and leave it for the knobheads?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 13:16 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
Did you break off a corner and leave it for the knobheads?

No, they don't live here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 17:33 

Obviously people have different sized heads, right? So, some people have very small heads, and others large bounces.

So... glasses. Aren't glasses all one size? I assume you can move the arms in and out to fit (can you?) but the frames are always the same width, aren't they? If you e got a really fat head does your head extend beyond the sides of your glasses, and surely that looks odd? What if your head is really narrow? Do all frames extend way beyond the sides of your head? Do you have to get kids glasses?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 18:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm no expert but glasses come in all shapes and sizes. My eldest has just started wearing them and I wouldn't get them on my head without breaking them I reckon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 18:23 
Comfortably Dumb

As it's Wednesday, here's a pic. You'll see my fat head is bigger than my glasses. :)
Attachment:
IMG_20170816_182043.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 18:29 

I guess I always thought that glasses frames were supposed to be as wide as your head, but yours don't look like they should be, DM. Maybe they're supposed to be narrower and I've never noticed before, or maybe it'd look odd if you had thick, solid black frames that wide?

Is your eldest a child, TheVision? Because they definitely do child-sized glasses. I wonder if they have different child sizes, though, because a two year old's head is smaller than a ten year olds. I know kid's heads are disproportionately large, but they still grow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 18:54 
Unpossible!

The Boy has worn glasses for a few years now. Every time he gets new ones they have to be sized to his head. So there's definitely adjustment in frames

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 0:08 
Paws for thought

DavPaz wrote:
The Boy has worn glasses for a few years now. Every time he gets new ones they have to be sized to his head. So there's definitely adjustment in frames

Has he inherited your enormous bonce?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 13:13 
Excellent Member

I have forgotten how to post a picture but my frame is plastic and the glasses bit, if anything, is a bit wider then my head but I kept asking the people to make the leg things wider as I get really bad headaches and the pinching makes it worse. Now if I look down I risk losing my glasses, but at least less headache. They warm up the leg things with a blowdryer type thing and then bend the shape a bit

edit: I'll have a go at the picture thing, please ignore the weird angle and twee face, it was the child taking my picture

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 13:49 

Your glasses look the perfect width for your face, Miki (the frames, I mean, not the arms). I think what I was wondering the other day was if someone has an abnormally wide or narrow head do all glasses look too small or big, and if so do they manufacture glasses for very large or small/narrow heads?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 13:54 
Gogmagog

Malicool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 14:00 
Excellent Member

I really really like the malicool glasses! on a side note, your forehead looks intriguingly squarely tanned ...

mimi, I think there are definitely wider and narrower frames to be bought as people go around the shop trying them on and going, eek no this makes my face look XX
though I don't know if there are people who would have a head that is shaped in such a way that it really doesn't fit
I like that you drew professor Honeydew and Beaker

I was a little sad because I had hoped to find Velma glasses and then I would have gotten my hair cut to match
I will have to just be content with purple glasses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:25 

At what point does 'repair' just become 'it's a new bear'?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:32 
Gogmagog

When it goes on the ship of theseus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:33 

miki wrote:
I like that you drew professor Honeydew and Beaker

Haha! They are a bit!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:34 

MaliA wrote:
When it goes on the ship of theseus

I have chopped it to pieces using my grandfather' axe.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 20:42 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Having just bought a new pair of glasses, I can confirm that glasses frames are of varying sized widths, some behind to small for my head. The lack of pinching in the newly purchased pair it's nice. (sadly I can't see a thing out of them and have to take them back)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 20:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Have you taken the lens covers off?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 0:10 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have a cool story but it's too late to type it out now.. Someone remind me to tell it tomorrow when I'm at a keyboard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I have a cool story but it's too late to type it out now.. Someone remind me to tell it tomorrow when I'm at a keyboard.

Is it cool? Or is it Malicool? Shit, is it VisiCool? These are all very different things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:07 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:

Get typing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:08 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Is it cool? Or is it Malicool? Shit, is it VisiCool? These are all very different things.

Yes. Yes, they are.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 
Noob as of 6/8/10

The swifts have gone, but we now seem to have daily fly-pasts of parakeets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 

Warhead wrote:

Are they the rose ringed parakeets? We used to have a load of those near us growing up, always in flocks of 15-20+. I thought they'd escaped from a pet shop or zoo the first time I saw them!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Are they the rose ringed parakeets? We used to have a load of those near us growing up, always in flocks of 15-20+. I thought they'd escaped from a pet shop or zoo the first time I saw them!

Yes, I think they are. We seem to get a flock of around 10 flying over in the early evening, probably heading for wherever they roost at night. I first noticed that they were in the area a few months ago when I was picking up my granddaughter from school one afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 
Comfortably Dumb

MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yes. Yes, they are.

I assume it goes: VisiCool > Cool > MaliCool?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 

VisiCool. The spreadsheet for the streets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 
Paws for thought

devilman wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yes. Yes, they are.

Where does Visigoth fit on that scale?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:54 

I think they've been a relatively common sight in the parks of London and the south since the 80s (I looked them up in a few books when I first saw them as a kid), and have been steadily spreading up the country since as the average temperature rises. I've not seen any here in the W. Midlands, though I have heard there are instances of them. They're so bright and cheery if they're the same ones (green with a pinkish and black necklace (though I can't remember if that was just the males, perhaps) and a bright, strawberry red beak. It felt like I was somewhere more exotic than Neasden when they settled in the garden.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 

Mimi wrote:
I think the parakeets have been a relatively common sight in the parks of London and the south since the 80s (I looked them up in a few books when I first saw them as a kid), and have been steadily spreading up the country since as the average temperature rises. I've not seen any here in the W. Midlands, though I have heard there are instances of them. They're so bright and cheery if they're the same ones (green with a pinkish and black necklace (though I can't remember if that was just the males, perhaps) and a bright, strawberry red beak. It felt like I was somewhere more exotic than Neasden when they settled in the garden.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 
Gogmagog

devilman wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yes. Yes, they are.

Hooooo. Boy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:12 

I think we all need to be reminded of TheVision's silver shoes before we decide his place on the scale of cool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:15 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
I think we all need to be reminded of TheVision's silver shoes before we decide his place on the scale of cool.

viewtopic.php?style=26&p=786639#p786639

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 60  Next