Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Home Networking
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 23:25 
Excellent Member

When we did the bedrooms in the loft, the electrician put some eternet connections in. But they've never worked as far as I can tell. Now the level of whining from the kids has got to the point where I want to figure out why.

We have wall plates to take the eternet cables in the bedrooms, and the cables run down through the house and terminate at male cat5 connectors. I thought if I plugged these directly into the router, that the Internet magic would happen upstairs when the child plugged his PS4 eternet cable into the wall plate.

That is not what happens. Nothing happens. Even when I try to connect my laptop via the eternet cable upstairs there's no recognition of any connection.

What am I missing? Is it possibly wired up wrong? What do I need to do? The child is most concerned about his ping. Or something.

Post subject: Re: Home Networking
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 23:48 

Sounds like it's just buggered, because what you did should work. You can get CAT5 continuity testers that you plug in and get diagnostics, but you wouldn't want to buy one just for this job. Anyone you might be able to borrow one from?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 23:52 
Unpossible!

Aye. If it's wired up right and connected at both ends, you should at least get a link light

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 23:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Network cable testers are cheap and easy to use - it might be worth picking one up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Inter ... ble+tester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:30 
Excellent Member

Okay, I'll get the connection tested and go from there. I should be able to borrow one, if not, I'll just get one it they're less than a tenner.

If it's not connecting, could it be wired up wrong...? Or would it most likely need a new cable pulling through? That shouldn't be overly difficult, it doesn't run in any wall chases currently. I could understand one of them not working because we possibly damaged it doing the rest of the work but damaging two separate cables, coming from separate locations would be a bit more difficult to achieve!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:42 
Unpossible!

It's likely been wired into the back of the socket wrong. That's the first thing to check. You'll need a new socket, sadly.

Other than that, it might have been nailed/stapled through, or (unlikely but possible) it's been bent at a sharp angle over something and split some insulation.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]