Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tabletop pen and paper rpg's
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:08 
Ready for action

I've started watching Critical Role on Geek and Sundry, which is a show where a group of voice actors who are best friends play D&D. It's awesome. It has also inspired me to want to play a game of my own. There are online platforms that help facilitate playing these games remotely, has anyone tried any of these?

Would there be any interest in playing an rpg, either a one shot or a more in depth longer campaign? I don't know for sure I would do it, but I'm tempted so would like to hear thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Tabletop pen and paper rpg's
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:14 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I never have, although I've a bunch of chums who do and seem to enjoy it loads. I guess it depends A LOT on the group - some dick could easily ruin it.

I've no idea about how to go about choosing rules etc - there seem to be a billion different games out there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:16 

I did, a lot, back in the day. Three years running we've discussed having a game at the cottage but so far nothing has come of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:17 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

How long does a game take? Can you sensibly chop one up into hour long sessions?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:18 
Paws for thought

Potentially.

Especially if there's a train in the sky.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:19 
Decapodian

Squirt wrote:
How long does a game take? Can you sensibly chop one up into hour long sessions?

Realistically, I think you'd need to go at it in two hour chunks at a minimum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I would love to play and it was one of the reasons why I went to the cottage last month. We should definitely do it next year, there seems to be a lot of interest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:27 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

In.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:30 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I played a lot in the past but a really really long time ago

FYI if you like Critical Role give Titansgrave a try (Laura Baily is also in it) : http://geekandsundry.com/shows/titansgrave/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The problem with doing it at the Cottage is that it will take a loooong time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
The problem with doing it at the Cottage is that it will take a loooong time.

If only we were there all weekend?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:35 
Ready for action

I think you'd need to plan for two hour sessions. If I were to start one, I'd go with d&d 5e. It seems like the easiest to get to grips with, has a low cost of entry and can be played with or without maps and miniatures. My intention would be to start and see if it was something we enjoyed and then potentially start to invest more into it as time went on if it was becoming a proper hobby. D&d has some premade adventures as well which would help a first time DM.

There are a couple of ways to play online. The cheapest is skype or something like that. There are more bespoke platforms like Roll 20 or something like that(can't remember what it's called) and it lets you broadcast a shared screen so you could use maps and minis. If anyone is tempted who hasn't played before then I'd urge you to watch some Critical Role on YouTube to get a handle on what it involves. They do a great job of Role playing and therefore sometimes making a sub optimal move tactically because it's the honest rp and thematic move.

Let's give it a few days and see what interest there is, then I might just go for it and buy a couple of books off Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:39 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm all for this and if nothing else, it would mean that I finally get to use Skype/Kinect on my Xbox.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:40 
Ready for action

I've just told my wife that I'm going to get the mac fixed and start playing D&D online and she's given me her blessing with minimal eye rolling and I'm sure only a half second where she wondered how she'd ended up married to such a huge nerd.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I imagine I'll have exactly the same conversation apart from the bit about the Mac and it'll be my wife instead of yours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 15:54 
Ready for action

TheVision wrote:
I imagine I'll have exactly the same conversation apart from the bit about the Mac and it'll be my wife instead of yours.

My wife seems susceptible, maybe you should just ask her?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 16:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

sdg wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Ask your wife? Well, I could... but I don't really know her to be honest.

I think I'll stick with asking my wife if it's all the same.

Seriously though, yeah.. my wife puts up with my nerdy activities. I've seen her roll her eyes several times but I still carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 16:08 
Gogmagog

sdg wrote:
I've just told my wife that I'm going to get the mac fixed and start playing D&D online and she's given me her blessing with minimal eye rolling and I'm sure only a half second where she wondered how she'd ended up married to such a huge nerd.

Because you're lovely.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 16:19 
sneering elitist

TheVision wrote:

Mac??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 17:00 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
sdg wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Ask your wife? Well, I could... but I don't really know her to be honest.

I think I'll stick with asking my wife if it's all the same.

Seriously though, yeah.. my wife puts up with my nerdy activities. I've seen her roll her eyes several times but I still carry on.

Do you say to her, 'don't roll your eyes, save that for the D20!'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 17:06 
8-Bit Champion

D&D would be a start but I do wonder if you'd do better with a more basic game to begin with to see how ironing out the technical bits would work (so a tabletop game instead ?)

For campaign stuff there have been a few humble bundles which included RPG books plus campaign maps (if your quick you have 2 hours left for this weeks one : https://www.humblebundle.com/books/fict ... ook-bundle )

What we used to play a long time ago was MERP which was a slightly scaled down version of Rolemaster but set in middle earth (MERP = Middle Earth Role Playing) - they produced around 30 or so campaign packs which basically were all based around areas of middle earth and gave you flaura / fauna and notable NPC's in the area (the ones that i instantly remember are Mirkwood and Shelobs lair - http://www.icewebring.com/ice-products/ ... d%20Shelob - http://www.icewebring.com/ice-products/ ... ood%202700 )

A while ago I grabbed a torrent which was just PDF's created from these which i could dig out if you (or anyone else) was interested in them - the advantage of that is you start with a lot of the background data filled in already - most people know of the different creatures / races / etc and have a rough idea of how the politics and racial tensions fit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 17:14 
Bad Girl

Jem wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Mac??

And Cheese??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 17:22 

zaphod79 wrote:
D&D would be a start but I do wonder if you'd do better with a more basic game to begin with to see how ironing out the technical bits would work (so a tabletop game instead ?)

Also D&D is really dull, both mechanically and in terms of setting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 18:01 

I used to play once in a while, but it always ended up with 4-5 hour sessions, and I really struggle to maintain interest in anything for that sort of length of time. See also: Movie marathons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 18:34 
Rude Belittler

Savage Worlds is supposed to be good.

I like White Wolf's World of Darkness games, have the advantage of modern day setting, and reasonably easy rules.

Cyberpunk 2020 is good, but horrifically lethal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 18:39 
UltraMod

HeroQuest!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 18:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Only if you think D&D means Forgotten Realms.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 19:50 

Cras wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Forgotten Realms is AD&D. As are the fun settings like Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Planescape, and Spelljammer.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how technically correct I am.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 19:51 

Not Really checked it out to much but, https://roll20.net looks useful. Also, https://battlebards.com for sound effects.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 20:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Forgotten Realms is AD&D. As are the fun settings like Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Planescape, and Spelljammer.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how technically correct I am.

While acknowledging your technical correctitude, I'd suggest that you can probably substitute AD&D for every mention of D&D in this thread except yours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 20:23 
Ready for action

zaphod79 wrote:

I've played some episodic/campaign style tabletop games and I've played some one shots at my local gaming group. That, combined with watching Critical Role and listening to a couple of D&D podcasts has me in a pretty good place to start I think. I certainly wouldn't have felt the same way a few months ago!

zaphod79 wrote:
For campaign stuff there have been a few humble bundles which included RPG books plus campaign maps (if your quick you have 2 hours left for this weeks one : https://www.humblebundle.com/books/fict ... ook-bundle )

What we used to play a long time ago was MERP which was a slightly scaled down version of Rolemaster but set in middle earth (MERP = Middle Earth Role Playing) - they produced around 30 or so campaign packs which basically were all based around areas of middle earth and gave you flaura / fauna and notable NPC's in the area (the ones that i instantly remember are Mirkwood and Shelobs lair - http://www.icewebring.com/ice-products/ ... d%20Shelob - http://www.icewebring.com/ice-products/ ... ood%202700 )

A while ago I grabbed a torrent which was just PDF's created from these which i could dig out if you (or anyone else) was interested in them - the advantage of that is you start with a lot of the background data filled in already - most people know of the different creatures / races / etc and have a rough idea of how the politics and racial tensions fit

They're all good ideas and I'd happily play another rpg, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable DM'ing another rpg. I wouldn't be confident enough in my knowledge and history etc of that world do it justice and that could be an issue if other players picked up on that. I like the fact that with the D&D ruleset it doesn't matter if you invent a totally new world and have a sandbox game. I played a Star Wars one shot and really enjoyed it but I wouldn't want to GM it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 20:27 
Ready for action

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

That suprises me, what do you find dull about it? I played a horror one shot that I found really dull and boring and convinced me you can't make an rpg that genuinely scares or creeps people out, but then Matthew Mercer, DM on Critical Role, started the Briarwood sequence and I found that properly creepy. I also really like the simplicity of 5e rules. It's certainly not any more complicated than the other ones I've tried, which include Dungeon World, Dread and Star Wars. I hope my imagination is good enough to not let it be boring but that will probably be the scariest thing about trying to run something!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 21:51 
8-Bit Champion

And just because it seems to fit here - the last RPG bundle finished and they have rolled straight into the next one

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/frog ... ook-bundle

Quote:
The Humble RPG Book Bundle: Pathfinder presented by Frog God Games

Frogs make the best pathfinders. We've teamed up with our frogs friends at Frog God Games, Kobold Press, and Green Ronin to bring you a new bundle of Pathfinder-compatible roleplaying game books. Tabletop adventures await just around the corner. Hop to it!

Pay $1 or more for Book of Dirty Tricks, The Black Monastery, Quests of Doom, Cults of the Sundered Kingdoms, Unusual Suspects, Streets of Zobeck, Zobeck Gazetteer, and Advanced Bestiary.

Pay $8 or more and you’ll also get Rappan Athuk, Dead Man's Chest, Against Tsathogga, Cyclopean Deeps Vol. 1-2, Advanced Races Compendium, and Your Whispering Homunculus.

Pay $15 or more for all of that plus Halls of the Mountain King, The Mother of All Treasure Tables, Splinters of Faith Vol. 1-10, Deep Magic, Wrath of the River King, and Freeport: The City of Adventure.

$15 these days is around £12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 18:24 
Ready for action

And now I'm reading about the pathfinder starter box and getting excited because it comes with miniatures. :nerd:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 22:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Forgotten Realms is acebest. The Dales! Elminster! Baldur's Gate! Driz'z'z'z'z't''t'!

Fucking Dragonlance is the shit stuff, Cras.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 22:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I have no objection to FR, but it's pretty much by the numbers fantasy compared to Spelljammer and shit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 23:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Spelljammer was part of FR, FFS.

Also, FR, had a vast, VAST number of different types of cultures, settings etc. You're wrongy mcwrongface.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 23:33 

MrChris wrote:

Spelljammer overarched most of the other settings in the official canon. You could fly from Forgotten Realms to Dark Sun to Ravenloft.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 23:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Spelljammer overarched most of the other settings in the official canon. You could fly from Forgotten Realms to Dark Sun to Ravenloft.

PART OF, NOT SOLELY IN. Sorry, I can't hear you over how technically correct I am.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 23:35 
Rude Belittler

FR was therefore a part of Spelljammer (and planescape)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 23:41 
INFINITE POWAH

It works both ways then.

Planescape was acestacebest. I think its manuals won awards or something. I've kept them as they're frankly works of art.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:17 
Ready for action

It's like you've all started speaking another language!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:07 

You to cast 'comprehend languages'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:17 
Gogmagog

Bobbyaro wrote:

No need with a Halfling in tbe party.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bobbyaro wrote:

Quite.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:00 
Rude Belittler

Anyway.

I tend to prefer dicepool systems rather than D&D style 'single dice with modifiers' style. Just because it's usually easier to grasp "you want to punch him? Add up the number of points you have in Dexterity and Brawl, and roll that many dice. Count up the number of dice that are higher than 7." Rather than "roll 1d20 add and take away a bunch of modifiers that you don't really understand yet."

For new players the dicepool tends to be a lot less complex to understand, but tends to require a little more effort on the DMs part (working out what skills are required when you do something obtuse and setting target numbers and what varying numbers of success actually mean).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 19:48 
Ready for action

Pundabaya wrote:
Anyway.

I tend to prefer dicepool systems rather than D&D style 'single dice with modifiers' style. Just because it's usually easier to grasp "you want to punch him? Add up the number of points you have in Dexterity and Brawl, and roll that many dice. Count up the number of dice that are higher than 7." Rather than "roll 1d20 add and take away a bunch of modifiers that you don't really understand yet."

For new players the dicepool tends to be a lot less complex to understand, but tends to require a little more effort on the DMs part (working out what skills are required when you do something obtuse and setting target numbers and what varying numbers of success actually mean).

Is that based on experience of 5e? I've not personally played it yet but from watching Critical Role it seems to be fairly straightforward and they all have their modifiers clearly stated on their character sheets. The only time there's a moments pause is when someone attacks with a weapon they rarely use as they check the modifiers.

The Star Wars one shot I played had a pool of dice but I think it took the full game to feel comfortable with what we could roll each time and since I'm probably going to end up being
the DM then I think I want it to be as easy on the DM as possible :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 19:51 
Ready for action

Can anyone who wants to play please let me know? If there are too many people we will need to figure out how we organise it, probably based on availability. I'd intend to play for 2-3 hours one evening, probably once a week or fortnight. I probably won't start until after Christmas because we are close enough now that I've had a ban placed on buying myself things off amazing in case someone has already bought me it as a Christmas present.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 21:23 
Rude Belittler

Pathfinder/3.5 mostly. Oh and D20 Star Wars.

Writing down modifiers is fine, if you're brand new and don't know which to apply each time, it gets frustrating.

I am biased as dice pool are also generally point-buy (I hate classes)

Also, with dice pools, you're going to pass some rolls., no matter how epically badly you roll.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 20:42 

I'd Be interested, but struggle to meet a tome commitment, so put on the reserve list.

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next