Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 17:04 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15685
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yes, it saves each time it says “Super. Hot. Super. Hot”, between each linked sequence of levels.

Throwing straight is hard. Try “pushing”, moving your hand in a straight line. Don’t put an arc on it.

Re: callisthenics, I’m told you look like you’re doing tai chi when you’re playing it!

Kern didn't. He looked like a hamster.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 17:50 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32777
Ooh, can I share the pic again? Of course I can...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 17:51 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32777
.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 18:46 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 30125
This months PSVR PS+ game is Starblood Arena. It’s a fast moving (think Unreal or Quake) tournament shooter in zero-gee environments with free movement (think Descent) with head-based aiming.

If you think you have your VR legs, it might prove you wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 23:10 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 19053
DavPaz wrote:
.

Aw, in the pic on the left Kern looks like a baby T-Rex with really long arms!

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 23:53 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12655
Location: Oxford
Rawr!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 0:40 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63120
Location: Your Mum


The perils of thinking "hey, this is a pretty sweet opening lap, maybe I should share it".

A good advert for VR racing, though - the car is all over the road but as you can see I'm always looking at where the track is going.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3048
I am doubleplus ungood at Dirt Rally in VR so would have ditched it much earlier in that lap. I've not really gone back to it as I've been obsessed with Superhot VR, about which...

Yes I absolutely agree with the previous statements on here that it's pretty much a must have but that *fucking* camera at times. My hands shoot away into the distance and then I can't pluck a gun out of the hands of someone an inch in front of me and then I have to restart a level that involves dodging 20 bullets with no weapons. About 50 times.

It's dead frustrating because when it works it's an expression of everything I want in VR. "Hey I would like to grab that, I CAN!. Can I get that gun that's fallen on the floor behind me? I CAN! Can I hide behind this console, peek out & fire from the side like a shootout in Police Squad? SURE THING!" followed by "Can I throw this at someone? NO! But you can throw it in their general direction. Possibly, I would just duck and punch them in the balls again if I were you"

The concept is superb, the execution let down by the hardware somewhat, but overall it's the game that has really utlilised the medium best of those that I have tried so far.

EDIT - Oh and the lack of a level select until you've finished it is twattery of the highest order.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 17:59 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10860
Superhot. Move controllers.

MIND. BLOWN.

Best thing I’ve ever played. Just... Jesus. VR is fucking AWESOME.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 17:59 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10860
Got an accidental trophy “Too cool to look”. I laughed so hard I died. In VR.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:18 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49513
Location: Nottingham
Remember when you came to my house, played all the wrong games and said VR was rubbish? Funny eh.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:23 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63120
Location: Your Mum
Why did you let him play the wrong games?

I bought my PSVR into the office today. Everyone really liked it.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:38 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49513
Location: Nottingham
Grim... wrote:
Why did you let him play the wrong games?

I bought my PSVR into the office today. Everyone really liked it.

I wasn't in the house at the time. I can't remember why.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:12 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63120
Location: Your Mum
Were you in a stream?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:19 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49513
Location: Nottingham
Grim... wrote:
Were you in a stream?

Not at that particular moment!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:55 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10860
Lonewolves wrote:
Remember when you came to my house, played all the wrong games and said VR was rubbish? Funny eh.


I played iRacing (cars. Meh), that platforming game (loved this), Elite Dangerous (couldn’t fathom it) and that walking simulator space planet game (freaked me out when I walked into the sea - which was great - but it was a bit slow and boring and VR had clearly been retrofitted to an existing game). I can’t ever remember saying VR was rubbish though. I thought I said it was ace and was quite excited about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 22:14 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 8008
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Why did you let him play the wrong games?

I bought my PSVR into the office today. Everyone really liked it.

I wasn't in the house at the time. I can't remember why.

Was that when me and you went to the shops?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 0:05 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49513
Location: Nottingham
Joans wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Why did you let him play the wrong games?

I bought my PSVR into the office today. Everyone really liked it.

I wasn't in the house at the time. I can't remember why.

Was that when me and you went to the shops?

Quite possibly.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29828
Trousers wrote:
I am doubleplus ungood at Dirt Rally in VR so would have ditched it much earlier in that lap. I've not really gone back to it as I've been obsessed with Superhot VR, about which...

Yes I absolutely agree with the previous statements on here that it's pretty much a must have but that *fucking* camera at times. My hands shoot away into the distance and then I can't pluck a gun out of the hands of someone an inch in front of me and then I have to restart a level that involves dodging 20 bullets with no weapons. About 50 times.


I can't say I've had that. Iv'e had a couple of instances where the camera has glitched out a bit, but not frequently. I found putting the camera a bit higher up and switching the lights off made an improvement. Reading the instructions for the PSVR probably helps.


Quote:
It's dead frustrating because when it works it's an expression of everything I want in VR. "Hey I would like to grab that, I CAN!. Can I get that gun that's fallen on the floor behind me? I CAN! Can I hide behind this console, peek out & fire from the side like a shootout in Police Squad? SURE THING!" followed by

It's quite, quite brilliant. Punching someone in the face, grabbing their knife out of the air, then simultaneously punching the next guy in the face and stabbing the other one is a thing of joy. I was skeptical about the hand to hand stuff but, mostly, it works really well.

Quote:
"Can I throw this at someone? NO! But you can throw it in their general direction. Possibly, I would just duck and punch them in the balls again if I were you"


As per gaywood's response, I think there's a knack to throwing stuff, in that you don't throw it, you push it. I seem to be improving.

Quote:
EDIT - Oh and the lack of a level select until you've finished it is twattery of the highest order.

I'm sort of ok with that. I quite like that this is a progression through the game, it sort of lends itself to the immersion. THAT SAID, I would still like a training room/tutorial option.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 8008
Lonewolves wrote:
Joans wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Why did you let him play the wrong games?

I bought my PSVR into the office today. Everyone really liked it.

I wasn't in the house at the time. I can't remember why.

Was that when me and you went to the shops?

Quite possibly.

Good times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3048
MrChris wrote:
Trousers wrote:
I am doubleplus ungood at Dirt Rally in VR so would have ditched it much earlier in that lap. I've not really gone back to it as I've been obsessed with Superhot VR, about which...

Yes I absolutely agree with the previous statements on here that it's pretty much a must have but that *fucking* camera at times. My hands shoot away into the distance and then I can't pluck a gun out of the hands of someone an inch in front of me and then I have to restart a level that involves dodging 20 bullets with no weapons. About 50 times.


I can't say I've had that. Iv'e had a couple of instances where the camera has glitched out a bit, but not frequently. I found putting the camera a bit higher up and switching the lights off made an improvement. Reading the instructions for the PSVR probably helps.


I'm not reading one manual.

Also I tend to play it with the other half in the room currently, so shrouding her in darkness would compound her ire with me after falling on her on numerous occasions whilst dodging bullets.

I think part of the problem is my height coupled with gibbon like arms which means I move out of range quite easily.

Not for the first time I wish I was more Gaywood.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49513
Location: Nottingham
Joans wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Joans wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Why did you let him play the wrong games?

I bought my PSVR into the office today. Everyone really liked it.

I wasn't in the house at the time. I can't remember why.

Was that when me and you went to the shops?

Quite possibly.

Good times.

Some of the very best

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:57 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3048
Oh and also because there's no way I wasn't going to try it I bought SuperStardust VR.

The VR only mode is shite, makes you ill and looks like it's from 1992.

The normal mode is just like normal mode only it's all in 3DVR-o-vision which I thought would be distracting but is actually most excellent. Asteroids fly past your head prior to impact and the whole thing has more substance to it as a result of the additional depth. It somehow seems a bit easier, like you have a wider FOV in this version but I don't have the old PS3 version to check it against.

Dying is suprisingly awesome, a load of particle effects smash into your face and shit you up a bit. So far my experiencing of losing lives in VR feels much more dramatic and impactful than normal play in games, i.e. turning to my right and then getting a face full of shotgun shells in SuperhotVR has made me do all manner of squeally noises.

Back to SSVR. I really like it and the VR does makes a difference but if you're not a fan of the original game then it's definitely not worth the cash. Following on from that, however, if you're not a fan of the original game then I no longer wish to interact with you.

Finally, playing a Shmup in VR made me miss Rev Owen yet again - I bet he would have lots to say about it, only more eloquently.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:01 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10860
I’m playing some Super Hot Super Hot Super Hot.

That fall off the building some come with some kind of warning!

I’ve still never experienced anything quite as exhilarating as this. I nicked a gun off a guy and pointed the gun right at his forehead before pulling the trigger. It was freaking amazing.

Then I stepped outside an elevator. In VR. When I could have stayed inside but the 3D space just allowed me to nip outside and grab a shotgun to blow some red guy’s legs off. Jesus, it felt great.

There’s a couple of tracking issues here and there and throwing stuff is unnecessarily cumbersome for some reason but they never detract from what is an astonishing experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:33 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32777
Seen these?

https://www.bionikgaming.com/products/mantis

Apparently they fit on my Lenovo too. Spendy though


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:43 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49513
Location: Nottingham
DavPaz wrote:
Seen these?

https://www.bionikgaming.com/products/mantis

Apparently they fit on my Lenovo too. Spendy though

If only there were a headset that came with headphones built in...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:47 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32777
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Seen these?

https://www.bionikgaming.com/products/mantis

Apparently they fit on my Lenovo too. Spendy though

If only there were a headset that came with headphones built in...

The Vive Pro?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:55 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49513
Location: Nottingham
Does it? I've not really paid it much attention.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 13:09 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3048
I have started playing Resi 7 in VR mode.

I'm not fully sure I can get through it - just wandering around an empty house with spooky noises creeps me the fuck out in VR, let alone when bad stuff starts happening with (spoilers) zombies (/spoilers). My heart feels like it's going to explode in my chest at times, the feeling of immersion is matched only by the nausea of having full 360 degree movement rather than turning in 15 degree chunks.

I'm only managing 30 minute sessions max and I am creeping round extremely slowly with a sense of complete dread rather than charging on to the next puzzle/encounter so I reckon I will be finished by February 2020.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 13:43 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14321
Yeah, I've not gone back to it yet. I'm over the nausea thing but I'm still a complete wuss when it comes to that sort of thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BikNorton, Kern, Pod People, The Greys and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.