Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: wltb: Digital Camera (especially Canon Powershot)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 14:52 
What-ho, chaps!

In this fancy world of fancy phones with built-in multimegapixel cameras, does anybody have a point-and-shoot digital camera that they no longer need and would like to sell?

My nifty old Canon Powershot A800 which I bought to play around with CHDK (and pretend to be a cat) has worn out, and it's hard to find something like it for a reasonable price.

It took SDHC cards which was great, but more importantly ran off AA batteries so I didn't have to worry about the lithium cell dying over time or weird knock-off exploding Chinese chargers.

Does anybody have a similar camera? A Powershot of the same kind of age would be great! Later powershots moved to a slab lithium cell, sadly.

Post subject: Re: wltb: Digital Camera (especially Canon Powershot)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 14:57 

Sorry, no help nor advice on the camera front, but your make-up is amazing. Did you do that yourself, or have it done?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 15:06 
Comfortably Dumb

The Nikon Coolpix S2600 I've got gathering dust on my desk takes a lithium battery but is at least replaceable. If you're willing to cover the £3.30 it would cost to send it to you, you're welcome to have it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 17:22 

I have an ancient Powershot (but it does work with CHDK) that you'd be welcome to. I'll check the model number when I get back to the UK and see if you're interested. I think it's a few generations older than even your 800, though, so don't get your hopes up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 17:26 
What-ho, chaps!

Mimi wrote:
Sorry, no help nor advice on the camera front, but your make-up is amazing. Did you do that yourself, or have it done?

Thank you very much! I did it myself. :o

I met some Cats musical cosplayers at MCM Manchester a few months back and I was spellbound by their costumes and makeup. Not to mention their guts to walk around dressed like they're outta Cats!

https://twitter.com/SkullKidUK/status/7 ... 1670343680

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Coyf7rFWYAAg9l7.jpg

(Yup, that's me as Skull Kid. All homemade! ^_^ I'm trying to write a site about how I made all the things, but nailing myself to the chair and doing the work is hard.)

They've been haranguing me to join in their makeup fun for a while, so I thought 'screw it' and spent my Sunday as Pouncival! It's cheap Snazaroo party makeup. Cheap enough for a miser like me but not cheap enough so it stinks of bleach and never washes off. (But cheap enough that despite appearances, you only get enough white in a multicolour set to do one full face, grumble grumble.) That's my first time doing a Cats cat. I've been a dragon before, though. A pumpkin. Bunch of other stuff.

I'm surprised how good it comes out in the video. In real life, I can see all the mistakes. Plus Snaz' white is crumbly. I've never been coquettish before. It's a new feeling. :p

The camera died immediately after taking those Cats pics (that was Sunday). ;-;

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 17:41 

Your costume making is amazing. I do remember your pics from years ago, and being amazed at a pair of sandals you'd fashioned. I think you had done work in progress pictures you had sent.

We used to use Snazaroo paints for a lot of stage work, and a drop of warm glycerine made the paint more comfortable and less liable to crack on the skin. Might be worth a try, but patch test first (obviously).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 17:41 
What-ho, chaps!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I have an ancient Powershot (but it does work with CHDK) that you'd be welcome to. I'll check the model number when I get back to the UK and see if you're interested. I think it's a few generations older than even your 800, though, so don't get your hopes up.

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 17:44 
What-ho, chaps!

Mimi wrote:
Your costume making is amazing. I do remember your pics from years ago, and being amazed at a pair of sandals you'd fashioned. I think you had done work in progress pictures you had sent.

We used to use Snazaroo paints for a lot of stage work, and a drop of warm glycerine made the paint more comfortable and less liable to crack on the skin. Might be worth a try, but patch test first (obviously).

:D Those sandals were from many years ago! 2008, I think.

It seems to be a tradition with me that whenever I get a new job, I think 'WOW MONEY!' and immediately do cosplay. Last time it was this guy from Naruto courtesy of my bored, frowny expression and super long hair. Most of him was bought, but I did do the shoes properly!

All of Skull Kid was made with the exception of the brown undersuit and the simple pumps I made the boots out of. I've got tons of work-in-progress pictures here http://www.mrdictionary.net/stuff/2015/, I just need to put some words down to go with 'em such as 'don't use expanding filler, despite what folks say' and 'anything that can go wrong will go wrong'.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 17:55 

Fantastic. I'll have a proper look at those pics after tea, and yes, you should definitely get them all captioned :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 17:57 
What-ho, chaps!

And definitely ask me anything! I need more inspiration for things to write about. Knowing that somebody might read it is a huge boost!

The SkullKidUK twitter has some of the same pics on it, I started tweeting after I'd done everything except some finishing touches.

Also, dragon pyjamas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 18:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How come you don't want to use a phone camera?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 18:10 
What-ho, chaps!

I don't have a camera on my phone. My phone is a Nokia 1208 and looks like this.

Phones can't be easily mounted on a tripod.
Most phones don't take the 32gb sdhc card I just bought for the powershot.
I don't want to be without a camera if I make a call, or without a phone if I take a video.
All phones take lithium slab batteries which'll age over time. My Nokia's battery is only five years old and it's terrible.
I can get AA batteries anywhere, unlike lithium slab batteries.
Lithium slabs are really expensive, and that's if you can find geniune spares. Fake spares will be terrible and probably explode.
I'm still using the same AA rechargeable Eneloops I got almost a decade ago (edit - Half-decade. I got 'em 1/1/2010.), very happy with 'em!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 18:27 
Awesome
Yes

MrD wrote:
I don't have a camera on my phone. My phone is a Nokia 1208 and looks like this.

How does the forum look on that?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 18:31 
What-ho, chaps!

Mr Russell wrote:
MrD wrote:

I'd take a picture, but... well...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 20:02 
Decapodian

Mr Russell wrote:
MrD wrote:

Like a snake

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]