And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: mp3 player advice needed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 19:35 
Excellent Member

I'm an idiot and sad.
I have loads of audiobooks which I used to listen to in the car
due to long sob story that is no longer possible and I miss them so I thought I would buy myself an mp3 player.

I did a little bit of research, which didn't yield much interestingness so yesterday I went to Big red shop and looked the ones they had in the eye and bought a Lenco thing.

All excited I charged it and looked on it via the laptop.
It had a MUSIC folder so I added a BOOKS folder and happily copied a load of books and music.
When the copying was done, it thought about it for a bit and then decided that no - I was not allowed to choose my own folders, it would make my life easier by indexing everything by magic meta data and decide for me what was best.
Needless to say the folder BOOKS was lost completely and and the half wrong/half right music meta data made for an endless list to scroll through.
So I moved the books to the music, which hardly helped. Though I can find them now by Genre, the meta data must be off because the chapters are all mixed up and not related to eachother as a book.

Now I'm sad I've spent money on something I'm not going to use, but more then that I really want to find what I thought I had
An mp3 player that lets me see the folders I put on it, lets me play the files in the folders in order and if I be greedy, that remembers where it stopped as that could be in the middle of a chapter.
And because Im a fumbling bunny, preferable something with a bit of a screen and some buttons (and not an iThing unless that is my only option)

Does anyone know of such a thing? Or even what search terms to use to google for such a thing?
I would be most grateful for any advice, thanks

Post subject: Re: mp3 player advice needed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 21:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If it helps, there are several tools that will let you apply metadata to multiple .mp3 files at once.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:51 
Excellent Member

I can google that, thank you

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:38 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Also, would that book also, this might help on the book front, but I have never used it.

What model of mp do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 14:13 
Excellent Member

I have a Sandisk Sansa ClipZip that i use for running. The sound quality is amazing, and it has folder view. It's cheap, and i have it for 5 or 6 years without any problem whatsoever.

I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 19:19 
Excellent Member

Bobby, I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your first sentence but I looked it up and the thing is a LENCO XEMIO-760 BT

RuySan, thank you, I've written that down!

I have found a completely different way to help myself, downloaded a music app for my phone called Music Folder Player
pretty much what I want so yay! though I still feel silly for buying the mp3 player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 19:38 

I've been teaching Bobby how to make sense proper and type betterly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 21:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

miki wrote:
Bobby, I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your first sentence but I looked it up and the thing is a LENCO XEMIO-760 BT

RuySan, thank you, I've written that down!

I have found a completely different way to help myself, downloaded a music app for my phone called Music Folder Player
pretty much what I want so yay! though I still feel silly for buying the mp3 player

I was going to ask what phone you had because it seemed like the simple option. Then I forgot ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:02 
Excellent Member

:D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:14 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Bobbyaro wrote:
Also, would that book also, this might help on the book front, but I have never used it.

What model of mp do you have?

Fucking hell! Me neither!

I found an audiobook metadata editor, but I can't find it now...

actually it was this one, but others are out there.

http://www.alfaebooks.com/features

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:49 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
I have a Sandisk Sansa ClipZip that i use for running. The sound quality is amazing, and it has folder view. It's cheap, and i have it for 5 or 6 years without any problem whatsoever.

I highly recommend it.

The Clip+ and ClipZip (basically the same thing with a new display) are utterly brilliant! I must admit I ignored them for a while - until I noticed all of the audiophile review sites were raving about its sound quality. Now I have three or four of them.

Beware of the newer "Clip Sport" and "Clip Jam". They look superficially similar, but the electronics inside are garbage. (Unless you really don't give a fuck about sound quality, of course. :p )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 13:25 
Comfortably Dumb

Firefox wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I highly recommend it.

The Clip+ and ClipZip (basically the same thing with a new display) are utterly brilliant! I must admit I ignored them for a while - until I noticed all of the audiophile review sites were raving about its sound quality. Now I have three or four of them.

Beware of the newer "Clip Sport" and "Clip Jam". They look superficially similar, but the electronics inside are garbage. (Unless you really don't give a fuck about sound quality, of course. :p )

I've got the Clip Jam and it's not bad (or I have cloth ears). The only annoyance for me is that it doesn't seem possible to play all songs by one artist in order (I don't mind if the albums are out of order, but I like to listen to an album in track order) - it can only do it shuffled. I imagine creating playlists would get around it, but I haven't been arsed as yet.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]