And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 Post subject: PAC-MAN CE 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 21:51 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Quote:

PAC-MAN Championship Edition 2 is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC in September! Experience new ways to play PAC-MAN including the new ability to bump Ghosts, intense giant sized boss battles and the fan favourite Score Attack mode! Learn more in our new trailer!

Post subject: Re: PAC-MAN CE 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 22:18 
Hello Hello Hello

Ooohhh splendid I'll be over that.

I still fire up Pac-Man CE DX+ from time to time if I'm in the mood for a wonderful blast of frenetic colourful fun with great music and sound effects that lasts around ten minutes. (Title.)

Steam says I last played it in April, and it's never been uninstalled.

So yeah, deffo up for another one. The price was very reasonable last time around too if memory serves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 22:30 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, I'd be up for more. Great game for a quick go, or ten.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 22:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Brilliant! How many more times will I pay for Pac-man? Probably dozens if they keep looking as good as this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 13:00 
EvilTrousers

Attachment:
shutup.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 13:01 
Hibernating Druid

You're not allowed to get it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 14:23 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hang on... Do you have an Xbox One Trousers? I can't remember...

This could be my chance to get top of the leaderboard!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 14:25 
UltraMod

Xbox One trousers sound like a sartorial mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 14:37 
Hello Hello Hello

One of the best things about me getting this on PC will be that I don't get depressed as fuck by Trousers' scores.

He spoiled the XBox 360 for me, he did.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 14:49 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
One of the best things about me getting this on PC will be that I don't get depressed as fuck by Trousers' scores.

He spoiled the XBox 360 for me, he did.

1) Trousers is on Steam - as am I - i will probably buy it on Ps4 and PC :p
2) Trousers does have an Xbox one as well - he's trousers - of course he has

<bragging mode>
3) I'm pretty sure my 360 scores were better than his (although the leaderboards have been reset so many times that it may not be the case now)
</bragging mode>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 15:44 
Comfortably Dumb

Hmm, I don't seem to have Trousers on my Steam friends list. On the plus side, this means I'm generally second to Zaphod on some of the Pac-Man leaderboards instead of third behind Zaphod and Trousers. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 16:26 
8-Bit Champion

devilman wrote:
Hmm, I don't seem to have Trousers on my Steam friends list. On the plus side, this means I'm generally second to Zaphod on some of the Pac-Man leaderboards instead of third behind Zaphod and Trousers. :)

I'm positive I've had trousers on those lists , but he's not showing in my view right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 17:26 
EvilTrousers

I haven't logged into Steam for a very very long time.

Regarding Pac-Man CE, I am glad the memory of me once being decent remains as Zaphod deffo had me beat on a lot of it.

Also.

DBSnappa beat me on Geometry Wars
MrC owned me at pinball
I couldn't do the kangaroo defence properly for laughing
I'm basically living off past glories and have been for years.

I am currently enjoying being top of the leaderboard for Dangerous Golf. Because there is only me playing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 21:08 
Participant in dramatic games

Will buy it

Can't they give them better names though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:26 
8-Bit Champion

Trousers wrote:
I am currently enjoying being top of the leaderboard for Dangerous Golf. Because there is only me playing it.

Its on offer this week -

Attachment:
13692815_10210119680493556_2545522039334228379_o.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 16:52 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Trousers made me buy it by mentioning it once. Prepare to meet the new bottom of your scoreboard...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:00 
EvilTrousers

I hate you both. So much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 16:07 
8-Bit Champion

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/09/p ... -announced

Quote:
Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 will be available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC digitally on September 13 in North and South America, Bandai Namco has announced.
Championship Edition 2 will cost players $12.99.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 16:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Xbox One users can get 20% off if they digitally preoder it. :hipster:

Also, Pac-Man Museum is down to £3.99 from the frankly ludicrous £19.99. It's backwards compatible too so worth it for the music from Pac-Land alone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 23:25 

TheVision wrote:
Also, Pac-Man Museum is down to £3.99 from the frankly ludicrous £19.99. It's backwards compatible too so worth it for the music from Pac-Land alone.

Oh excellent, bought for my 360! For those who don't know, this contains Pac-Man Battle Royale, the multiplayer arcade game from 2011. Hilariously, the Ms. Pacman DLC still costs £3.99.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I bought this last night and had an hour or so on it. First impressions are that it's great!

You know exactly what to expect from it but there's a couple of new features including a brake (Yes, Pac-man can stop on the spot!) and a bump feature. This means that you can bump into a ghost which will then make him angry, bump him enough and he'll actively chase you albeit faster than before.

I only had a quick go on the boss mode as I'd unlocked it late in the evening but it's strangely sinister to have a giant ghost floating about in the background of the map.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:56 

Not sure I like the way the maze changes and resets you back to the start point when you eat a fruit, nor the effect that happens when you eat the head of a train - I think I preferred the more seamless approach in the original.

Still damn good fun though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 20:53 

Yeah. Not so much fun as cedx was. Still great though. God to have it on the ps4 too..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 15:36 
Comfortably Dumb

Rather struggling to like this. It runs poorly on my laptop, so I've waited till I was on the desktop to give it a proper go. Maybe it'll click with me eventually, but the bumping mechanic kills any urgency from the game. From the first couple of attempts, I was rarely looking at where the ghosts were going. And rather than having a 'one more go' draw that the original had, after one go of this, I've had enough and want to load up something else instead.

Still, I've only played it a bit, so maybe I'll enjoy the later levels more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 16:13 
8-Bit Champion

devilman wrote:
Rather struggling to like this. It runs poorly on my laptop, so I've waited till I was on the desktop to give it a proper go. Maybe it'll click with me eventually, but the bumping mechanic kills any urgency from the game. From the first couple of attempts, I was rarely looking at where the ghosts were going. And rather than having a 'one more go' draw that the original had, after one go of this, I've had enough and want to load up something else instead.

Still, I've only played it a bit, so maybe I'll enjoy the later levels more.

Its not as good as CE or CEDX but then again nothing is :-)

If you get the right 'line' and route then you wont bump into anything - the bit that's awkward for me should be the easiest which is after you grab the power pill and hoover up the ghosts - i wonder why they decided you *have* to get the front of the train and could not just jump in the middle ?

The 'jump' pads (especially ones that go up and down at the same time) are confusing and given the speed you start going on some of the levels its easy to lose where you are

I do get the 'one more go' thing but its not the same level of digital crack that the previous ones were.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 14:02 
8-Bit Champion

Here is two quick rounds with minor improvements on my basic score

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oof, I don't like the "into the sky" bit when you eat the ghosts.

And how come you could crash into them without dying? They just got thrown to another part of the map :S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:53 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
Oof, I don't like the "into the sky" bit when you eat the ghosts.

And how come you could crash into them without dying? They just got thrown to another part of the map :S

Into the sky is annoying - also when you start on a train even if you then pass through another train when eating them nothing happens

Ghosts no longer kill straight away you need to make them 'angry' - you do that by bumping into them (as Devilman mentioned above) - i assume thats so they can make make things faster and its a change from the previous games which would go into bullet time when you got close to a ghost (so you could avoid them)

Overall i'm still on 'its a good game' but its not on the same level as CE or CEDX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah a combination of reading many reviews and watching a decent number of gameplay videos put me off this game, despite originally thinking it'd be a total insta-buy.

CEDX+ remains my Pac-Man fix of choice, they've just fucked with things too much on this new one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 0:01 
8-Bit Champion

And how to be annoying

There are basically 2 game modes here - the normal score attack - 8 'mazes' 3 different 5 minute modes on each - you try for a high score and your ranked (both in D / C / B / A / S and your overall score).

There is then an 'adventure' mode where you run basic mazes against a timer you decide how difficult the timer (and number of lives you have) is and you get stars
Easy = 1 star
Hard = 2 stars
Pro = 3 stars

After each block of 10 you get a boss battle where you save up lives to kill the giant boss , those are gated so you dont just run through those and the first one is 10 stars , 25 stars , etc , winning this gets you up to 6 stars extra to go into your pot

So i've been doing these between other things and got up to over 55 stars which was the requirement to unlock the 2nd to last boss - i did that and then checked to see how many i'd need to unlock the final boss

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-10-19 23.52.25.png

two hundred and twenty fucking two !

So world 1 levels 1 - 10 on pro get you 30 + 6 for the boss
same for 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 gives you 180
World 6 has 14 levels so you also 3 star those is 42 giving a grand total of 222 stars

So to unlock the last boss you need to 'perfect' every fucking other level - all 70 of the fuckers !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 
Bad Girl

I'm really struggling with this (currently cheaps on PSN) not because it's difficult but because it's a step backwards from the purity of the original.

I don't mind bumping ghosts out the way (it's ok, nothing game breaking, just a bit daft) but I just can't get on with eating the ghosts after a power pill. The viewpoint switches, you can only eat the head (or some reason), you can't eat two trains at a time (the second train just goes straight through you!?) and when you get the last one you fly into the sky. It just lacks the tactile way in which you ate the first ghost and there was a slight pause and another when you ate the next which sped up as you consumed a train. You felt like a god. Now I'm just bumping around trying to get to the siding head of the train as you can't even pass through the rest of the ghosts in the train. Hnnngh.

And that maze with the confusing jumps that don't line up? It can fuck off.

And it doesn't look as nice as the original either no matter which style of maze you choose.

And the boss levels? AHAHAHAHAH. Get to fuck you pathetic waste of fucking breath.

On the one hand it's still loads of fun (and I even beat Zaphod on Dungeon cause he sucks ass) but on the other hand it's a bit disappointing and fiddly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 14:14 
8-Bit Champion

I refer the honorable gentleman to my earlier post

viewtopic.php?p=926203#p926203

Satsuma wrote:
but I just can't get on with eating the ghosts after a power pill. The viewpoint switches, you can only eat the head (or some reason), you can't eat two trains at a time (the second train just goes straight through you!?) and when you get the last one you fly into the sky. It just lacks the tactile way in which you ate the first ghost and there was a slight pause and another when you ate the next which sped up as you consumed a train. You felt like a god. Now I'm just bumping around trying to get to the siding head of the train as you can't even pass through the rest of the ghosts in the train. Hnnngh.

zaphod79 wrote:
The bit that's awkward for me should be the easiest which is after you grab the power pill and hoover up the ghosts - i wonder why they decided you *have* to get the front of the train and could not just jump in the middle ?

Satsuma wrote:
And that maze with the confusing jumps that don't line up? It can fuck off.

zaphod79 wrote:
The 'jump' pads (especially ones that go up and down at the same time) are confusing and given the speed you start going on some of the levels its easy to lose where you are

Satsuma wrote:
And the boss levels? AHAHAHAHAH. Get to fuck you pathetic waste of fucking breath.

Boss mode rant : viewtopic.php?p=926786#p926786

Satsuma wrote:
On the one hand it's still loads of fun (and I even beat Zaphod on Dungeon cause he sucks ass) but on the other hand it's a bit disappointing and fiddly.

zaphod79 wrote:
Overall i'm still on 'its a good game' but its not on the same level as CE or CEDX

I pretty much stopped playing it after i saw just how much was going to have to go into it to progress any further - if you've taken one of my scores down i may revisit it to reclaim it but i'd rather play CE1 or CEDX which are the much better games

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 14:32 

Haven't touched it since I wrote the review on my site shortly after release, whereas every now and again I go back to CEDX+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 21:55 
Bad Girl

Get your own opinions Zaphod, geesh.

If I smash any more of your scores I'll let you know so I can make it worth your while revisiting it. Your jumping level is safe though as I've absolutely no fucking interest very playing that level again and I've only played it once.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 19:49 

I have to say i agree now even more.. really loved ceDX, and this just...feels like they were a bit desperate to find a new twist..

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]