Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: That London (for a day)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 19:18 
Unpossible!

Hi peeps. We're taking the kids to Legoland Windsor next week for a few days but are planning on spending Thursday in the Big Smoke.

Obv we can't do the city in one day, but anyy hints on where we should head for a day trip with two young kids would be appreciated. Any commuting tips from Windsor, also?

Ta, Londoners

Post subject: Re: That London (for a day)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 19:25 

How old are the mini pazzzes?

Natural History Museum is my most favourite place

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 19:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The Music quiz.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 19:38 
Excellent Member

Definitely another vote for the Natural History Museum. There's dead stuff, and other things that kids like. Mine enjoyed it when I took them there on the way back from Legoland. The youngest was 4 or 5 at the time so the eldest would've been 7 or 8, it was pretty easy to keep them entertained in there, between the dinosaurs and mummies.

I have no travel tips, I totally forget how we got there and back... But as you have a 1:1 parent to child ratio, if you do end up on the tube, it'll be fiiiiiiine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 19:51 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

If you're at Legoland in Tuesday we may be there. So you may wish to change your plans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 20:31 
Decapodian

The Science Museum is also very cool depending on their preferences, and it's just round the corner from the Nat History one.
I always like walking from the Thames, past the houses of parliament and up to Buckingham Palace if it's a nice day - it's good to see some of the landmarks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 20:35 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
The Music quiz.

Would that I could.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 20:37 
Unpossible!

The kids are 5 and 3. The Natural History Museum is a good shout.

Landmarks is also a good idea. Get a look at Westminster before it's sold off to Chinese property developers and turned into condos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 20:37 
Unpossible!

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
If you're at Legoland in Tuesday we may be there. So you may wish to change your plans.

It's a big place. And you'll see me coming as I have an enormous head.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 22:34 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
The kids are 5 and 3.

Lol no they're not, don't be ridiculous. One of them has just been born.

I don't like time. Someone make it stop :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 22:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 23:03 
Prince of Fops

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The Science Museum is also very cool depending on their preferences, and it's just round the corner from the Nat History one.
I always like walking from the Thames, past the houses of parliament and up to Buckingham Palace if it's a nice day - it's good to see some of the landmarks.

Second vote for the science museum. Seems to have better capacity than the nat history museum and there's cool interactive stuff.

If you're down Greenwich way, it's pretty cool taking the elevator down and walking under the Thames. This can of course be combined with getting a boat down the river.

The horniman museum in forest hill is good for natural history needs, though is a bit out of the way.

There may still be the Dahl exhibition at the Hayward on the south bank, which would be worth checking out.

And as someone said earlier, don't worry about the tube. Just LET PEOPLE OFF THE FUCKING TRAIN BEFORE BARRELLING ON.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 23:15 
Sleepyhead

Findus Fop wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Second vote for the science museum. Seems to have better capacity than the nat history museum and there's cool interactive stuff.

If you're down Greenwich way, it's pretty cool taking the elevator down and walking under the Thames. This can of course be combined with getting a boat down the river.

The horniman museum in forest hill is good for natural history needs, though is a bit out of the way.

There may still be the Dahl exhibition at the Hayward on the south bank, which would be worth checking out.

And as someone said earlier, don't worry about the tube. Just LET PEOPLE OFF THE FUCKING TRAIN BEFORE BARRELLING ON.

We're members of the Horniman, as it's quite nearby. Lovely place, though possibly not one of the 'bigger' things to see on a brief trip.

Onóra likes the Zoo and the Aquarium as she likes animals.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:51 
Can you dig it?

The science and natural history museums are great, totally recommend.

The tube is super easy if you avoid the peak commute times.

I also like to get to waterloo then stroll to Westminster Bridge and see the big wheel, the clock tower and parliament. In the sun, when you aren't rushing to get to work, London can be beautiful.

I took my dad on a boat trip up the Thames (a tourist one) and he said it was one of the best days he'd had in London - he'd worked in all over the city and knew the roads well but had never taken the time just to go on a boat trip, relax, and see the city from the river. So a boat trip is a very good idea too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:17 

Okie, so at three and five years old, I'd say the Natural History museum was better suited as there are more things that younger kids can look at and understand without needing an explanation (take them to the dinosaur and mammals sections... They'll understand what a blue whale is far more than they'll understand a... I don't know... Traction engine. You might want to avoid the animatronic dinosaur area if they are easily spooked, but you'll be able to jydge that from Chester Zooooo.

Then, the science museum is a few hundred yards away. They are actually connected (the buildings) and when I was a kid you could walk from one to the other, but not now. Anyway, take them to The Lsunch Pad at the science museum. As it is summer holidays you may have to book (it's free, but very popular) so check that out.

Don't go to the zoo as Chester Zoo is better. The London Aquarium is lively, and a nice relief from the heat on a hot day. Relatively expensive, but as the museums are free the day totals up well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:18 

If you do go to the aquarium, but your tickets online as the queue will be massive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:23 

Never heard of the Horniman before but it looks ace. Definitely one to add to my 'I really need to get there' list.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

The Horniman is awesome. They have a stuffed walrus and a mermaid that someone made by sticking half a monkey to half a fish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 

Squirt wrote:
The Horniman is awesome. They have a stuffed walrus and a mermaid that someone made by sticking half a monkey to half a fish.

Sounds very much like the Pitt Rivers here in Oxford, which has a similarly wonderfully eclectic collection (Beex Day Out in the winter?).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:16 
Paws for thought

Kern wrote:
Sounds very much like the Pitt Rivers here in Oxford, which has a similarly wonderfully eclectic collection (Beex Day Out in the winter?).

Sorry, can't make it.
I'm hibernating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:18 
Isn't that lovely?

Science Museum/Nat history is good.

If you want to see some sights for cheap. You can do worse than getting the river bus from The London Eye to the O2 Arena/Millennium Dome/whatever it's called, Getting the cable car across the river, then DLR to Liverpool Street, and then the number 11 bus (takes you past St Paul's Cathedral, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, Houses of Parliment, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral, Victoria Street, Buckingham Palace Road [but not the palace itself] and on down the Kings Road, you could get off at Sloane Square, and 1 stop the tube to South Ken for the aforementioned Science Museum/Natural History Museum)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:39 
Hibernating Druid

Squirt wrote:
The Horniman is awesome.

:hat:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 

DavPaz wrote:
Obv we can't do the city in one day, but anyy hints on where we should head for a day trip with two young kids would be appreciated. Any commuting tips from Windsor, also?

SMASH CUT TO
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 1001102473

Quote:
A NORTHERN man has left a trail of terror across London by attempting to interact socially with everyone he meets.

Stephen Malley has left residents of the capital traumatised by his relentless onslaught of cheerful chat and maintained eye contact.

Euston ticket office operative Julian Cook said: “I pushed his Travelcard at him while staring fixedly downward but instead of scurrying off, head bowed in shame, he just stood there.

“I realised that his earlier remark about London attractions was not addressed to a Bluetooth headset but to me, and that he actually expected an answer.

“I closed my position immediately and have an appointment with the trauma counsellor.”

Malley’s campaign of terror spread to pubs, where he attempted to engage strangers with prying questions about what sort of day they were having. Later he left an entire tube carriage confused and angry with multiple light-hearted remarks about how crowded it was.

Malley said: “I’m actually a surly, miserable bastard, but when Northerners come down here we do this to ensure the people of London never visit us to discover our beautiful landscape and abundant, cheap housing.

“What a relief it was to arrive at Warrington station last night and tell the Big Issue seller to go fuck himself.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:47 
Unpossible!

By 'eck, that sounds grand.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:53 

Now for real advice:

The Natural History and Science Museums are both world-class. You won't go wrong with either.

The Tube is fine outside of rush hour, as others have said. (And it's not usually that bad during rush hour either.) Don't forget you don't need travel cards any more, you can just use contactless payment cards on all public transit and you'll pay the same fare -- so no need to queue at ticket machines. Kids under 11 travel free. Citymapper is the best app for cross-London navigation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:57 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Now for real advice:

The Natural History and Science Museums are both world-class. You won't go wrong with either.

The Tube is fine outside of rush hour, as others have said. (And it's not usually that bad during rush hour either.) Don't forget you don't need travel cards any more, you can just use contactless payment cards on all public transit and you'll pay the same fare -- so no need to queue at ticket machines. Kids under 11 travel free. Citymapper is the best app for cross-London navigation.

Sweet.

Thanks all for some solid advice. It's looking like the Natural History Museum for us, I think

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:58 
Sleepyhead

Malc wrote:
Science Museum/Nat history is good.

If you want to see some sights for cheap. You can do worse than getting the river bus from The London Eye to the O2 Arena/Millennium Dome/whatever it's called, Getting the cable car across the river, then DLR to Liverpool Street, and then the number 11 bus (takes you past St Paul's Cathedral, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, Houses of Parliment, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral, Victoria Street, Buckingham Palace Road [but not the palace itself] and on down the Kings Road, you could get off at Sloane Square, and 1 stop the tube to South Ken for the aforementioned Science Museum/Natural History Museum)

If you're at the O2 then it's worth a little wander inside or around it as it's pretty cool. There are little fountains outside that kids love, and loads of family friendly options for food inside. Wouldn't list it as an attraction by any stretch, but it's like if a mall only had food/drink type establishments, and was kind of nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 

Looking around the museums for other things to do:

* The Hummingbird Bakery is ace, good place to grab a quick midafternoon snack.
* You'd be really close to Hyde Park.
* Buckingham Palace is a 20 min tube or 35 min walk away. The walk isn't terribly interesting, though.
* The Houses of Parliament aren't very far past that, if you wanted to see those too. Look in the window of the Costa coffee over the road for stressed-looking staffers carrying enormous bundles of paperwork, and laugh at them because you're on holiday.
* You're quite close to my old office! But I don't work there any more coolstorybro.jpg

What sort of day do you want? Just spending ages in a museum with a relaxed schedule, or do you want to see more stuff? Do you want to find some specific kind of place to eat?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
What sort of day do you want? Just spending ages in a museum with a relaxed schedule, or do you want to see more stuff? Do you want to find some specific kind of place to eat?

Relaxed is good. After 2 days of Legoland, relaxed will be needed I feel. Whatever we get to see is fine as (say it quietly now) I've never been to London before.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:05 

And what's your schedule like in terms of arrival time and leaving time?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:09 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
And what's your schedule like in terms of arrival time and leaving time?

Meh. We're staying in Windsor, so apart from avoiding peak rush hour travel, we're easy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:10 

If you plan on the museum taking 3-5 hours (depending on your little 'uns appetite for such things), you'll probably want a shorter thing planned also.

Here's a 35 min walk that takes in the Houses of Parliament, the Mall, Buckingham Palace, Green Park. There's a Tube stop at either end (Hyde Park Corner and Westminster). That could be a good morning activity if you do the museum in the afternoon, or vice versa.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

SMASH CUT TO
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 1001102473

Quote:
A NORTHERN man has left a trail of terror across London by attempting to interact socially with everyone he meets.

Stephen Malley has left residents of the capital traumatised by his relentless onslaught of cheerful chat and maintained eye contact.

Euston ticket office operative Julian Cook said: “I pushed his Travelcard at him while staring fixedly downward but instead of scurrying off, head bowed in shame, he just stood there.

“I realised that his earlier remark about London attractions was not addressed to a Bluetooth headset but to me, and that he actually expected an answer.

“I closed my position immediately and have an appointment with the trauma counsellor.”

Malley’s campaign of terror spread to pubs, where he attempted to engage strangers with prying questions about what sort of day they were having. Later he left an entire tube carriage confused and angry with multiple light-hearted remarks about how crowded it was.

Malley said: “I’m actually a surly, miserable bastard, but when Northerners come down here we do this to ensure the people of London never visit us to discover our beautiful landscape and abundant, cheap housing.

“What a relief it was to arrive at Warrington station last night and tell the Big Issue seller to go fuck himself.”

It was terribly odd when we moved up to have people speak to us. We'd go out to to have a drink and the whole room would interact with each other on what passes for a sociable level up here. Even the staff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:12 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If you plan on the museum taking 3-5 hours (depending on your little 'uns appetite for such things), you'll probably want a shorter thing planned also.

Here's a 35 min walk that takes in the Houses of Parliament, the Mall, Buckingham Palace, Green Park. There's a Tube stop at either end (Hyde Park Corner and Westminster). That could be a good morning activity if you do the museum in the afternoon, or vice versa.

Can never tire of that triangle between Parliament, Whitehall, and Buck House. Access to Downing Street might be tricky, mind - cut across Horse Guards (under the arch opposite Banqueting House) instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The Tube is fine outside of rush hour, as others have said. (And it's not usually that bad during rush hour either.)

It's worth noting that there is a ban on Tube travel for families with children from 8-9.30am and from 4:30-7pm during school holidays.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
This isn't even a little bit true ;)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I really wish it was true

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If you're looking for relaxing and taking in the sights, I don't think I can recommend the BOAT highly enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:19 

Cras wrote:
If you're looking for relaxing and taking in the sights, I don't think I can recommend the BOAT highly enough.

This.

Thinking of the Smoke, am I alone in thinking that Buck House is actually quite austere and ugly?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:22 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

BOAT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:28 
Unpossible!

Big Oscillating Arse Trumpet?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:30 
Hibernating Druid

DavPaz wrote:
Big Oscillating Arse Trumpet?

Depends if Craster's working that day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

General London advice:
Get the CityMapper app: https://citymapper.com/london
Stand on the right on escalators.
When you go to get on the tube (or a train) one of the parents should take the kids through the luggage gate at one end of the turnstiles - don't try and make them walk through a smaller one when an adult has tapped in.
Move down the platform, move down the train
Don't press the "open" button on the tube doors

Place to visit advice:
Depending on how you get from LegoLand to London, you might pass fairly close to Kew Bridge steam museum, which is full of awesome steam engines and not tourists looking at dull models of antelopes. http://www.waterandsteam.org.uk/
St. Paul's is fucking awesome. It does cost £15 to get in, but you can look around the Whispering Gallery and the Crypt.
If you've never been before, you might want to go and look at Tower Bridge, Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus and Leicester Square.
One of the Royal Parks is worth a visit - I've always liked St. James's, although it's one of the smaller ones. Don't feed the ducks.
If you're feeling spry (and I doubt you are with two kids) you can climb up The Monument for £3. It's a fucking long way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:

I thought about putting that, but it's pretty expensive and (unless you get off at the O2) you'd have to pay twice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:33 
Unpossible!

These are all excellent. I will collate them and present them to The Decider this evening.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:34 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Can never tire of that triangle between Parliament, Whitehall, and Buck House. Access to Downing Street might be tricky, mind - cut across Horse Guards (under the arch opposite Banqueting House) instead.

So you can actually walk down Downing Street (sometimes)? I just assumed it was blocked off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:38 

DavPaz wrote:
Kern wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

So you can actually walk down Downing Street (sometimes)? I just assumed it was blocked off.

No, I was being sarcastic. It's gated. Closest I've got to a picture outside the door was a replica at the Granada Studios Tour.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:39 

DavPaz wrote:

No, I gone done fucked up that part of the route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 

Grim... wrote:
I once watched MrsDoc's train roll into the train station where we were meeting, she looked at the doors, she looked puzzled, then the train left. You *do* push the open button on surface rail, as I explained to her later...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
I once watched MrsDoc's train roll into the train station where we were meeting, she looked at the doors, she looked puzzled, then the train left. You *do* push the open button on surface rail, as I explained to her later...

Oh, that's delightful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:40 
Excellent Member

I was just looking at doing this for a trip in September.

For the hotel I picked one close to Waterloo station on the same side as the river as that's where we come into by train.

Its close to Big Ben which is what my son wants to see most of all, I also noted that there is a Sea Life place, Shrek Adventure and the London Dungeon very close by as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:42 
Hibernating Druid

We were going to do London for a weekend later this year but with one thing and another we've blown the money we had aside. Probably do it next year.

Whose house can we stay at?

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next