Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Post subject: Battlefield 1
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 21:22 
UltraMod

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... watch-here

EA taking the Microsoft way of numbering things, it seems. Could be interesting, but I can't see how you can take the Battlefield formula and make it anywhere near an accurate representation of World War One. Unless you can get trench foot, I guess.

Post subject: Re: Battlefield 1
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 21:36 
Hello Hello Hello

We were talking about this game and its impending reveal at work today (during designated break periods only of course), 'Oh christ I hope they don't do a WWI game' was about the jist of it.

They are clearly going in the wrong direction time wise, and should be doing Battlefield 2143 instead.

Anyway after the disaster zone of BF4, which was effectively broken for the best part of a year, none of us will be jumping on board early doors with this.

And what are the vehicles going to be anyway? Coal-powered tanks and biplanes? And all the guns were rubbish too.

I'm certainly curious, albeit not exactly enthused.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 22:16 
UltraMod

Yeah you went for the Division instead. A totally non-broken game.

I disagree, futuristic games are boring now - they should have done BF2143 a while back. I like the idea of the setting (and Verdun does trench warfare well), but if it's just a modern Battlefield reskin it just won't work.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
Anyway after the disaster zone of BF4, which was effectively broken for the best part of a year, none of us will be jumping on board early doors with this.

Of course you will.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:

That's being fixed faster than the reports of problems are being written.

Bro do you even game?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Lonewolves wrote:

I got 60 hours of unbroken play out of it in solo and group PVE play, it's the endgame PVP that's broken. It remains to be seen what Ubisoft do with it for the next 12 months.

Quote:
I disagree, futuristic games are boring now - they should have done BF2143 a while back. I like the idea of the setting (and Verdun does trench warfare well), but if it's just a modern Battlefield reskin it just won't work.

If there's any game that's crying out for a modern re-imagining it's BF2142 IMO, just do mostly the same game again with the Frostbite engine and me and guys would be all over that shit.

I'm not saying a WWI BF game couldn't be good, but I'd have thought it'd be inherently limited in terms of weapons, vehicles, grenades and so on - unless they just make shit up. And whilst I know it's 'only a game', what are we going to get, simulated trench warfare or something?

Grim... wrote:
Of course you will.

Nah not this time, BF4 was just too raw of an experience for too long. DICE have run out of free passes on that score.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:46 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
If there's any game that's crying out for a modern re-imagining it's BF2142 IMO, just do mostly the same game again with the Frostbite engine and me and guys would be all over that shit.

The problem with modern gaming in a nutshell, right here. "Just give me the same game with slightly different graphics and I'll give you another £80!"

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If it's what he wants to play, how is it 'wrong'?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 13:01 
Esoteric

I just saw a screen shot of a Zeppelin passing over. God I hope this is good I love that era.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 

Getting this for my birthday this weekend so it had better be good or else the whole day will be ruined.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:29 
Hello Hello Hello

All the chaps here are jizzing themselves silly over how amazing the single player campaign is and it's supposed to be poignant and stuff but I'm refusing to get it as I'm sick of buying the same game over and over again which is what the Battlefields have been since BC2 when they put destructible scenery in.

Too early to tell on the multiplayer although they were all over the beta and said it's good although the vehicles are crap of course because, y'know, WW1.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, no DICE.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, no DICE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 16:24 
This is bloody good fun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 16:25 
UltraMod

nickachu wrote:
This is bloody good fun.

I tried the Beta and was massively underwhelmed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 16:30 
Lonewolves wrote:
nickachu wrote:
This is bloody good fun.

I tried the Beta and was massively underwhelmed.

I'm enjoying it. Had one game so far lasted about an hour and my team won and I ended up on top.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 23:32 
Rude Belittler

It's good. I've played the intro, which is pretty fucking brutal, the Flying Corps one, which is great fun, much more 'derring do' and bedouin, which is reminded me of a first person MGS:V.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:32 

Really enjoying the campaign so far but massively let down by the planes one simply because for some inexplicable reason they have locked it to the awful arcade control setting rather than the actually pretty good controls you can use in the multiplayer. So the stick just sort of steers the plane with some vague and unpredictable combination of yaw and roll. I can't think of a single reason why they would have done this. The planes are normally pretty good fun in these games too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:22 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Jim Sterling's review : http://www.thejimquisition.com/battlefield-1-review/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 
Rude Belittler

I played some multiplayer last night! I enjoyed it, although I'm rubbish at it.

The Behemoths are fun, I took a nice train ride and flew a blimp for a bit.

You can't get a backie on a horsey, which disappointed me. In other news, horsies don't like heavy machine guns or field guns.

I also had a quick go as a special 'elite' class, the Tank Hunter. I didn't do much with it, I damaged a plane and a tank a bit with the T-gewehr you get, which is a very pleasing weapon. I also took someone out with the sawn off shotgun you get as a pistol. Then I died.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:20 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Pundabaya wrote:

You can't get a backie on a horsey, which disappointed me. In other news, horsies don't like heavy machine guns or field guns.

I understand thats one of the changes from the Beta where the horse was the best weapon / vehicle in the game as on horseback running over people killed them , it could turn and move really quickly and you could also swipe with your sword if you did not simply charge people down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:30 
I've been swiped by horses a few times. I've been playing mostly as Medic, as soon as there's a tank I run away as I don't have anything that damages them. Tanks are damn hard to beat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:32 
Paws for thought

They're WWI tanks. Just it a small bush in the way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:41 
Rifle fire does nothing to them. Gotta use explosives. I run with smoke which makes seeing me impossible when I'm taking flags.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:44 
Paws for thought

nickachu wrote:
Rifle fire does nothing to them. Gotta use explosives. I run with smoke which makes seeing me impossible when I'm taking flags.

Bad for your health, you know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:16 
Rude Belittler

I switched from medic to assault and started having way more fun. I even had a decent run as a flame trooper.

I didn't realise that if you spawn into a tank or plane as pilot you spawn as a tanker or pilot, to prevent the scouts nicking the planes and tanks to get to a sniping point then abandoning them.

AA guns actually work in this game! In fact they're hilariously efficient at close range, which is accurate, the planes are made out of balsa wood and string. One of the things that bugged me since BF3 about jets is that after they've been upgraded there wasn't very much you could to them. MANPADS were useless unless you had a bunch of them firing well timed salvos, as upgraded planes countermeasures recharged faster than you could reload and lock on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 22:05 
Ready for action

I don't think I have many of you as PlayStation friends, can I get usernames? Or add me, superdupergill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 22:20 
Decapodian

AlexZoidberg here. Will add you tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 16:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Had a decent session on this last night with the chaps (first time I've played it, I snagged it in the Origin 'sale' for £52.49p), it's really good fun.

In a way it is just 'more Battlefield' but because everything is so shit in the olde-worlde (guns/vehicles/planes/etc) there's far more focus on infantry combat. Indeed, there was one chap who seemed almost pathologically keen on killing as many people as he possibly could with a big club adorned with barbed wire. (And immediately became three million times better than the TWD manifestation of this character.)

It's not particularly a game-changer for the series, although the graphics are definitely a step up from BF4 as this is XBone/PS4/PC only. My PC can manage it at 1080p@HIGH@60FPS but I had to drop v-sync (so there is some tearing) and ULTRA was definitely out of reach if I wanted to stay around 60FPS, as was 1440P.

Overall, good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 16:38 

Hearthly wrote:
Had a decent session on this last night with the chaps (first time I've played it, I snagged it in the Origin 'sale' for £52.49p), it's really good fun.

In a way it is just 'more Battlefield' but because everything is so shit in the olde-worlde (guns/vehicles/planes/etc) there's far more focus on infantry combat. Indeed, there was one chap who seemed almost pathologically keen on killing as many people as he possibly could with a big club adorned with barbed wire. (And immediately became three million times better than the TWD manifestation of this character.)

It's not particularly a game-changer for the series, although the graphics are definitely a step up from BF4 as this is XBone/PS4/PC only. My PC can manage it at 1080p@HIGH@60FPS but I had to drop v-sync (so there is some tearing) and ULTRA was definitely out of reach if I wanted to stay around 60FPS, as was 1440P.

Overall, good stuff.

You've got a 970, haven't you? I'm playing Ultra@1440@60, just with AA turned down a little.

Never played Battlfield 4, but I enjoyed 3 and Bad Company 2. Been playing this one with a few friends recently and it's my favourite so far - I don't enjoy the "Operations", but love playing Conquest. Either I'm good at this game, or I'm getting shoved in lobbies with bad players - it's easy to be near the top haha

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 16:54 
Hello Hello Hello

TheCookie197 wrote:
You've got a 970, haven't you? I'm playing Ultra@1440@60, just with AA turned down a little.

Never played Battlfield 4, but I enjoyed 3 and Bad Company 2. Been playing this one with a few friends recently and it's my favourite so far - I don't enjoy the "Operations", but love playing Conquest. Either I'm good at this game, or I'm getting shoved in lobbies with bad players - it's easy to be near the top haha

Yes I do have a 970, but it's possible I'm CPU-bound, since I'm running with a 2008 vintage i7-920 (albeit overclocked to 3.4GHz). At some point in the not too distant future I'm just going to drop £2500 on a new PC and be done with it, but my current one simply refuses to die and manages to be 'good enough' to not compel me to replace it

As for the game itself, it was definitely different enough from BF4 to refresh my interest in Battlefield games, which had sort of fizzled away to nothing a few months ago.

The Battlefield game we're all waiting for is the sequel to 2142, which was easter-egged in BF4 but nothing has transpired so far.

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]