Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
6. Tomb Raider Anniversary
7. Reveal the Deep
8. Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride: the usual hidden object adventure game nonsense.

Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Challenge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 15:06 
Gogmagog

Saturnalian wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
1) Metal Gear Solid V. (PS4)
2) Resident Evil: Revelations 2: Episode 1. (PC)
3) Battlefield: Hotline. (PS4)
4) Black Mesa. (PC)
5) Rayman Fiesta Run. (iOS)

6) Until Dawn. (PS4)

I really liked this from start to finish. It's an almost perfect premise for the Heavy Rain style with its slow laborious trekking about, QTEs and Choose Your Own Adventure styling. I don't think anyone will be bored as the story progresses and people start dying. Most gamers will know that you have to save your band of teenie scumbags so when you start losing them you might say a little "Bollocks" and make a mental note to do it again differently if you do a second playthrough. It's silly, of course, with the slasher theme giving way to Resident Evil T-Virus stuff later on but no less enjoyable throughout. I probably wouldn't recommend anyone buy it full price but if you see the price come down to a level that you might be happy with for a game that lasts, say, 8 hours at most, then I'd take the plunge and jump right in for a reet good laugh. Yes, there are jump scares and they are all really well done and, yes, I jumped a few times. It's that good.

But when you start a second playthrough it all falls apart.

The game starts with an intro movie depicting a butterfly and showing how all actions have branching consequences. The camera follows a line across the butterfly wing giving the impression that there could be multiple stories to be had here. There ain't. There's one story and the differences aren't that great throughout with a couple of sequences always having the same outcome regardless of what you do. I suppose it does a good job of giving you the impression that there are vastly different branching story lines but the reality is that things don't change that much or as much as I'd have liked. There are some cool things that happen the second time around but the inability to skip some cut scenes (like this repeating "Previous On Until Dawn" bullshit) and the slow pace that you walk around the environments really hurt the experience on repeated runs as you know what is coming and where you want to go. I haven't completed a second playthrough and I'm not sure I want to turn it on again. Except to check out Jessica's badunkadunk though, aye lads? AMIRITE?

Still, bloody good the first time 'round. Check it oot.

If I fibish fallout 4 before no man's sky comes out AND it is £20 or so I will pick it up based on your words.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 22:44 

MaliA wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
4) Black Mesa. (PC)

6) Until Dawn. (PS4)

I really liked this from start to finish. It's an almost perfect premise for the Heavy Rain style with its slow laborious trekking about, QTEs and Choose Your Own Adventure styling. I don't think anyone will be bored as the story progresses and people start dying. Most gamers will know that you have to save your band of teenie scumbags so when you start losing them you might say a little "Bollocks" and make a mental note to do it again differently if you do a second playthrough. It's silly, of course, with the slasher theme giving way to Resident Evil T-Virus stuff later on but no less enjoyable throughout. I probably wouldn't recommend anyone buy it full price but if you see the price come down to a level that you might be happy with for a game that lasts, say, 8 hours at most, then I'd take the plunge and jump right in for a reet good laugh. Yes, there are jump scares and they are all really well done and, yes, I jumped a few times. It's that good.

But when you start a second playthrough it all falls apart.

The game starts with an intro movie depicting a butterfly and showing how all actions have branching consequences. The camera follows a line across the butterfly wing giving the impression that there could be multiple stories to be had here. There ain't. There's one story and the differences aren't that great throughout with a couple of sequences always having the same outcome regardless of what you do. I suppose it does a good job of giving you the impression that there are vastly different branching story lines but the reality is that things don't change that much or as much as I'd have liked. There are some cool things that happen the second time around but the inability to skip some cut scenes (like this repeating "Previous On Until Dawn" bullshit) and the slow pace that you walk around the environments really hurt the experience on repeated runs as you know what is coming and where you want to go. I haven't completed a second playthrough and I'm not sure I want to turn it on again. Except to check out Jessica's badunkadunk though, aye lads? AMIRITE?

Still, bloody good the first time 'round. Check it oot.

If I fibish fallout 4 before no man's sky comes out AND it is £20 or so I will pick it up based on your words.

Just picked it up from Amazon for £20.

Oh, I need lose the parrot and eyepatch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:16 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal the Deep
8. Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride
9. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture: Graphics and sound: brilliant. Character, dialogue and voice-acting: brilliant. Story: is almost entirely set up in the first half hour and doesn't really progress until the very end; which is a bit crap. Goddamn motherfucking idiotic shit-stupid walking speed of your character: goddamn motherfucking idiotic shit-stupid. I laughed hollowly at the developer talking about how not initially highlighting the run button hurt them in reviews because their idea of run is nonsense and stupidly implemented into the bargain. Giving people a decent sized game map and expecting them to explore it for story beats then hobbling their character is just mind-bogglingly idiotic. I did it anyway but I was cursing them for great swathes of the game. I also looked at the Trophy list and there's some really cool stuff in there I'd like to go back and pick up but it all hinges on exploration and searching and the idea of suffering through the character's glacial pace for it just makes me want to hurl the PS4 out the window. Why in the name of fuck would you do this to an otherwise cool game? I honestly just can't even. Seriously, I have rarely been less able to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 15:09 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal the Deep
9. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
10. Super Dangerous Dungeons: really, really good Android platformer. Nice graphics, tight controls and fiendishly designed levels that are challenging but never frustrating. Good stuff all round.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:29 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
4) Black Mesa. (PC)
6) Until Dawn. (PS4)
7) Transformers: Devastation. (PS4)
8 ) Half-Life: Opposing Force. (PC)
9) Lost Planet 3. (PC)

10) Stealth Inc 2 (PS4)

Good this, init. I'm kinda surprised they didn't just bung out more levels but I think they did that with some DLC for Stealth 1 but instead we get a game with a much more narrative focus set in a Metroid over world. You still get your 8 levels per world, of which there are 6, but you have to find the entrance to the level in the over world and some areas are only accessible using new items you acquire after completing a world. It works quite well, with the over world being a bit of a puzzle game of itself a bit further into the game navigating enemies and traps. The story is basically escape the facility again but it's a bit better put together this time around. There's even some cut scenes. I know, right? Wow. They're a bit crude though despite how we'll the actual game has been put together.

The same old puzzles would probably be a bit boring so each world has a gadget now. They're all pretty fun but it doesn't make for as pure experience as the first game but being a sequel they had to come up with something, right? You get an inflatable mate and a teleport and stuff for mo puzzle platforming and it all works a charm. The best thing for me though was it was never that taxing on the old noggin. I never got frustrated (bar two finicky sections with throwing the teleporter), I never got bored and I never got distracted wanting to play something else.

So more of the same but this time with: over world, gadgets, an actual story and collectibles. You gotta have something to collect right. I didn't bother.

I say: vee dot good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 23:22 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal the Deep
10. Super Dangerous Dungeons
11. Xeodrifter: Pixelly indie Metroidvania thing. I loved the demo of this and enjoyed the full game for a while, but there's quite a high frustration level in the fact that there's only a single save point half way through each level so if you pick up any power ups but die before you get back to your ship then you're repeating the run again. Also, while it initially seemed like a nice idea to have each boss fight be the same as before but with new attacks added I found that got pretty repetitive. I dunno, I was really enjoying it for a good while then it just started to piss me off (probably not helped by the fact that on two occasions it didn't save properly and I had to repeat a boss fight I'd already done in my previous session). It felt like it should've been more fun than it actually was somehow? Meh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:37 
Paws for thought

1. Magicka 2 (PC)
2. Broforce (PC)
3. Tower od Guns (PC)
4. Broken Age (PC)
5. Battleblock Theatre (PC)

This is so good

Coop game which allows for fun and amusing gameplay, including ramming hat wearing, cane wielding explosive frogs up your chums arse. The... ahem... plot is highly amusing too. Well, if you find the humour in below trailer funny, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 15:09 
Paws for thought

1. Magicka 2 (PC)
2. Broforce (PC)
3. Tower od Guns (PC)
4. Broken Age (PC)
5. Battleblock Theatre (PC)
6. Lego Lord of the rings (PC)

Erm yeah. Part of me is telling me this is a rather tediously easy walk through the park. But yet I keep playing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 18:29 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
4) Black Mesa. (PC)
6) Until Dawn. (PS4)
9) Lost Planet 3. (PC)
10) Stealth Inc 2 (PS4)

11) Ryse. (PC)

Xbox One exclusive about a militaRYSEd Rome doing QTE's populaRYSEd by such games as Resi 4. That's how I'd categoRYSE this game. It's almost plaguRYSEd from other games that do endless QTEs. You can't even memoRYSE the QTE's as they vary. You won't be mesmeRYSEd either by the terrible two button combo fighting either.

There's no need to pRYSE this game out of my hands. I wouldn't even RYSE out my seat if you snatched the controller out my hands. Cause it was shit. But then again you might not be surpRYSEd when the game's notable feature was that you couldn't fail a QTE. I won't be pressuRYSEd into telling you this is any good.

So to summaRYSE: RYSE is RYSEable.

No, risible. Anyway, it's bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 19:06 
Paws for thought

RE: Ryse

A small question: Given that this was all known ages ago, why did you buy it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 19:14 
Bad Girl

It was cheap, I'd never play it on the Xbox One and I wanted to test out my PC's strengths with a next gen game (held up pretty well on high settings). Then I sat on it for ages and thought I might as well finish it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 14:34 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal the Deep
11. Xeodrifter
12. Ghosts of Memories: nice puzzler for Android. As always it owes a visual debt to Monument Valley but it has it's own art style and is very pretty in general, especially in any of the 'snow dimension' sections. It doesn't do the best job of explaining itself initially but it doesn't take too long to realise what each mechanic does and each of the fifteen levels is made challenging more by the size of them than their actual complexity. It does get a bit repetitive but I enjoyed it well enough for the time it took me to complete it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 15:05 
UltraMod

I need to stop playing iRacing, Rocket League and GTA Online. I'm not going to get any games finished at this rate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 15:28 
Paws for thought

Poor show. I've already managed to finish over jalf the games I did last year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 23:09 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal the Deep
11. Xeodrifter
12. Ghosts of Memories
13. The Expendabros: a tie-in game for one of the Expendables films using the Broforce engine, so basically just Broforce but with the unlockable character all having terrible 'bro' based pun names based on the films characters. Surprisingly strategic for a game that looks so chaotic when you see others playing it but incredibly repetitive and I was happy it finished when it did. I had considered picking up the actual Broforce game but, as much as I enjoyed Expendabros, I'm pretty sure I'd get really bored with it stretched out over a full game. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 23:46 
Bad Girl

Quote:
basically just Broforce but with the unlockable character all having terrible 'bro' based pun names based on the films characters.

There's no 'but', that is Broforce.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 14:55 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal the Deep
11. Xeodrifter
12. Ghosts of Memories
13. The Expendabros
14. Interlocked: a puzzle game for Android that gives you a set of interlocked pieces and tasks with sliding them around until you can pull them all apart; a bit like those Chinese box puzzles you can get. Proper brain-fucking stuff with nice presentation and good controls. Recommended if you like that kind of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 14:41 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal The Deep
11. Xeodrifter
12. Ghosts of Memories
13. The Expendabros
14. Interlocked
15. Plug & Play: I, well, um, so that's a thing then. :D It's not really a game and bills itself as an "unashamedly surreal" "interactive animation" which I'd agree entirely with. There are levels and things you need to do though and an actual end so it's structured like a game. The content is very pretty and satisfying to play and amusing sexual in it's way. Highly recommended, though I suspect most people would balk at the price for the ten minutes or so it takes to complete. It's available on Steam as well and I notice it's on myp's wishlist which doesn't surprise me. I'd advise picking it up on a mobile device though as there's a tactility to the interactions which would be much less satisfying without a touch screen I think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 17:33 

1. The Swapper (PC)
  2. Her Story (PC)
  3. Metro 2033 Redux (PC)
  4. Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
  5. Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence (PlayStation 2)
  6. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (PC)

Really not as good as the original game and its expansion. The story is not as good, and there are just too many kinds of units, too many research paths, too much stuff going on, that I never really felt I had a chance to work out any better tactic than just hiring loads of mercenaries and hurling them at the enemy, with a couple of exceptions where using air units was obviously called for.

I knew this was not going to be as good as the original game and expansion, which is why I waited until it was cheap. Still, it was good to be back in the StarCraft universe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 15:35 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
4) Black Mesa. (PC)
6) Until Dawn. (PS4)
9) Lost Planet 3. (PC)
10) Stealth Inc 2 (PS4)
11) Ryse. (PC)

12) Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC (PS4)

Thanks to a Mr Dave I've done it. And now I've got the Rukyo I can finally cross it off my list and killed everyone I wanted to kill.

But was it any good? Yes. Very. To be fair though, the difficulty of the bosses was putting me off for a little while but a short blow on the BeeX horn for a call to arms called forth a mighty warrior with the patience needed to crack this nut. There's two bosses who are terrible and one who is brilliant, in my eyes. Mind you, terrible isn't the right word because I felt jubilation when they were both dead after countless battles; the sort of joy of accomplishment that only the Souls Series seems to reward you with.

In between the bosses however are some of great environments that only From Software seem to be constructing these days. The amount of effort that must have gone into the fishing village is staggering. The winding layouts are great too with secrets and shortcuts peppered about. Probably not Dark Souls amount of perfection but jolly awesome there's no doubt about that.

What a shame that's it for Bloodborne. It's been emotional. And fucking brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 15:37 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
a short blow on the BeeX horn

Name of your sex etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've finished a game!

1. Pneuma breath of life. Completed with 100% of the achievements.

This game is trying to be like Portal but isn't. Its rubbish and annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 21:14 

1. The Swapper (PC)
  2. Her Story (PC)
  3. Metro 2033 Redux (PC)
  5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PlayStation 2)
  7. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 0:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

1. Pneuma breath of life.
2. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

This is like the new Batman games but set in the Lord of the Rings universe while you play as a ranger. It's brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

3. Gone home - console edition

Wow, check me out. 3 games now! Gone home is a weird one. I enjoyed it... I think, but is it a game or an experience? I'm not sure.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I've got more games to complete.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:59 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
4) Black Mesa. (PC)
6) Until Dawn. (PS4)
9) Lost Planet 3. (PC)
10) Stealth Inc 2 (PS4)
11) Ryse. (PC)

13. The Escapists: The Walking Dead (PC)

There's a good game here wanting to get out but it's suffocated by baffling terrible design.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 23:38 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal The Deep
11. Xeodrifter
12. Ghosts of Memories
13. The Expendabros
14. Interlocked
15. Plug & Play
16. Year Walk: a beautiful little thing presented as a puzzle game set in a small and snowy landscape which has you wandering around pieces together clues in order to trigger haunting and sometimes macabre progression. There's not a massive amount to it but it's very satisfying with generally logical puzzles and a level of presentation that's worth the entry price alone. The 'final' puzzle is perhaps a little bit too straightforward you get the start of it but that's my only real criticism. It's available on iOS and Steam so pretty much anyone can, and should, give it a go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:57 
Awesome
Yes

1) Adventure Escape: Murder Manor (iOS)
2) Adventure Escape: Scottish Castle (iOS)
3) Adventure Escape: Asylum (iOS) - All puzzle games by the same indie developer (Haiku games). Very good for a half hour diversion. A bit like Professor Layton or Escape the Room in terms of solving a mystery/escaping a room by solving puzzles. Right level of difficulty on the puzzles - enough to bug you but not so easy you sail through. Has ads before each chapter, which you just dismiss, and a hint system of collecting stars which you'll never need unless you're really, really stumped (or can't use walkthroughs on the internet), so no need to purchase extras.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
3) Adventure Escape: Asylum (iOS) - All puzzle games by the same indie developer (Haiku games). Very good for a half hour diversion. A bit like Professor Layton or Escape the Room in terms of solving a mystery/escaping a room by solving puzzles. Right level of difficulty on the puzzles - enough to bug you but not so easy you sail through. Has ads before each chapter, which you just dismiss, and a hint system of collecting stars which you'll never need unless you're really, really stumped (or can't use walkthroughs on the internet), so no need to purchase extras.

*adds to Google Play wishlist*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:06 
Awesome
Yes

Bamba wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

I genuinely thought about you when I was writing this up. There's about 7 or 8 of them from the same developer. Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:09 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

I genuinely thought about you when I was writing this up. There's about 7 or 8 of them from the same developer. Let me know what you think.

Aye, about five of them have made it over to the Android side of the fence so I've added the lot. I've got a few games on my phone at the moment so it might take me a wee while to get to them but as they're free they'll almost certainly be the next thing I look at after the current selection's done. Do you recommend any of them in particular to start with? I've got: Murder Manor; Asylum; Time Library; Castle and Giza.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:26 
Awesome
Yes

I've only played the first two out of those, but Murder Manor was a pretty good straight-forward murder mystery story. Asylum was a bit more weird as you struggle to escape an asylum and work out what's happening.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:31 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
I've only played the first two out of those, but Murder Manor was a pretty good straight-forward murder mystery story. Asylum was a bit more weird as you struggle to escape an asylum and work out what's happening.

I'll start with Murder Manor then; ta!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:37 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
4) Black Mesa. (PC)
6) Until Dawn. (PS4)
9) Lost Planet 3. (PC)
10) Stealth Inc 2 (PS4)
11) Ryse. (PC)
13) The Escapists: The Walking Dead (PC)

14) Half-Life 2: The Lost Coast (PC)

It's not really a game though, is it? HDR tech demo from years ago. Still, I shot some baddies and they fell over until they eventually stopped coming.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 20:02 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
4) Black Mesa. (PC)
6) Until Dawn. (PS4)
9) Lost Planet 3. (PC)
10) Stealth Inc 2 (PS4)
11) Ryse. (PC)

15) Half Life 2 (Cinematic Mod) (PC)

The only game I have ever completed three times is now HL2. It's a super great game and a super great mod which really felt like a different experience in some parts. The only thing that I felt at the end of it all was that I felt as though Black Mesa was the better game. The level design is outstanding in HL2 but it tends to be quite, um, flat. Not necessarily flat flat, like, literally flat, but it doesn't quite have the same puzzle bit of HL1, where, y'know, the environments are a puzzle in and of themselves. There's much less of that in HL2 in favour of more pew pew and bombast. And that's absolutely fine and makes for a terrific game but I think I actually prefer the massive lengthy campaign of HL1 over this. Just.

It's a fucking great game though. Almost perfect, in fact, and to experience it with new remixed environments and textures and everything was just brill.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

3. Gone home - console edition
4. Briquid Mini

This is a little puzzle game. Not very exciting but an easy 200g.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 23:26 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
4) Black Mesa. (PC)
6) Until Dawn. (PS4)
9) Lost Planet 3. (PC)
10) Stealth Inc 2 (PS4)
11) Ryse. (PC)
15) Half-Life 2 (Cinematic Mod) (PC)

16) Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (Cinematic Mod) (PC)

More of the same but having played HL2's lengthy campaign I think I'm all Half-Lifed out as I was much less interested in this. The mod is more of the same textures and what not. I think they probably peaked with HL2 and concentrated less on this episode, which is fair enough. I played the lot on easy mode and with the Cinematic damage turned off this time and, boy, could you tell. Every encounter was a cake walk and I might as well been playing with a cheat code. It's my least favourite of the 2 episodes but still has some good pacing but lacks any decent set pieces over and above HL2. The stalker in the train yard was still awesome, mind, as was the train ride out and the big 'splosion. It was good to notice the administrator's pods zooming away from the citadel.

I did have the pleasure of Vic coming along instead of Alyx for a change. Vic has large pouty lips, has a sexy latino look, and has an hilariously large badunkadunka one of the Kardashians would be proud of. It was just silly fun after all, but I missed Alyx.

Anyhoo, I think I'm done with HL2 now for a long while. I like Ep2 but I hate the opening cave sequence and I can't be bothered to go through that again. Ah well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 23:32 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal The Deep
11. Xeodrifter
12. Ghosts of Memories
13. The Expendabros
14. Interlocked
15. Plug & Play
16. Year Walk
17. Layers of Fear: while this does arguably fail as a horror game by only being scary on a handful of occasions during it's runtime I certainly enjoyed it as "the digital equivalent of a funfair spook house" (credit to Jim Sterling for that description). You never feel like you're in any real danger--mostly because you're not--but the game does some cool stuff with subtly (and not so subtly!) switching environments and you do always want to know what's around the next corner. It owes some amount to PT in that regard because although it's not as rigidly repetitive as PT was it takes you through variations on the same environments often enough to bring Kojima's demo to mind. In fact even visually there's comparisons to be drawn as Layers of Fear is not only pretty in the same way PT was but places you in a very similar looking house (checkerboard floor tiles, solidly creaking wood panelled doors; all that jazz). There are definitely sections where your interest will lag, and having billions of fucking drawers and cupboards to laboriously rifle through for collectibles runs the risk of ruining all the tension until you do the sensible thing and ignore this most idiotic design faux pas but, overall, there's a lot to like here. It's incredibly clichéd now to say it but it's definitely more of an 'experience' than a game; as long as you know that going in (and I'm dead serious about ignoring the fucking cupboards) I suspect people will like it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 17:59 

1. The Swapper (PC)
  2. Her Story (PC)
  3. Metro 2033 Redux (PC)
  5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PlayStation 2)
  7. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
  8. Shenmue II (Dreamcast)

Only the second time I finish this since it first came out, gulp, 15 years ago.

Hard to recommend to anyone who hasn't already played the first one and fallen in love with the universe. It was clearly rushed to completion and had way more story crammed in than originally intended, and as a result it in large parts feels more like an interactive movie riddled with fairly harsh QTEs. You can't train your moves like you could in the first game, and when you get into fights, the camera always seems to get itself into the exact spot where it is of absolutely least use, which is such a pity, because the fighting engine itself is great. It is still a good story, though, in a lovely world full of entertaining characters, and the Dreamcast is taken to its technical limits.

This is also the only way I know of to get perfectly emulated versions of Out Run, Afterburner, Hang On and Space Harrier running in 240p on a CRT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 22:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Shenmue 2 has been on my list to complete for ages. I must give it a go.

I'm trying to think if it still is the only way to play Outrun like that. My modded Xbox runs MAME but playing it legitimately, I think you may be right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 22:35 

TheVision wrote:
Shenmue 2 has been on my list to complete for ages. I must give it a go.

I'm trying to think if it still is the only way to play Outrun like that. My modded Xbox runs MAME but playing it legitimately, I think you may be right.

Ooh, I didn't think of that, I never had a modded Xbox. Are you sure it runs in 240p, though, and not 480i? I ask because in Shenmue II on Xbox, the arcade games actually run in 480i, which made me wonder if the Xbox is even capable of 240p.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 23:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just tried it and MAME seems to run in 480i. Strange as the modded menu asks if I want to enable 1080i mode. I click on it, and it does nothing.

Looking on the internet suggests that this could be because it's a PAL Xbox and I can't access the original MS dashboard any more to change the video mode.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:16 
Unpossible!

Which dash are you using? Mine has an app (?) that lets you select NTSC or pal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think it's the Unleashed X or something like that. Is that the Enigmah app? That's what I read about last night but it still says you need to access the original dashboard to get it changed to Pal. Does yours have to?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:52 
Unpossible!

Nope. It was a bootable 'game' essentially. I'll see if I can get at it today.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:

Excellent! Let me know if you do, I want my games to look nicer!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 13:59 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Excellent! Let me know if you do, I want my games to look nicer!

This was it.

https://subretro.wordpress.com/2012/02/ ... enigmah-2/

If you can't download it, I'll try and extract it off the xbox. Let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 14:10 
Excellent Member

1. Fallout 4
2. The Room 3
3. Republique Episode 4
4. Pixel Arrow
5. Pixel Sword
7. Reveal The Deep
11. Xeodrifter
12. Ghosts of Memories
13. The Expendabros
14. Interlocked
15. Plug & Play
16. Year Walk
17. Layers of Fear
18. Cube Escape: Birthday: the most recent in the Rusty Lake series of pointy-clicky-escape games and as well done, if arguably more straightforward, as the others. Fuck knows what's happening in terms of the ongoing narrative though as it's pretty batshit stuff. This is definitely the first game I've ever played though that hid a vital puzzle piece inside some cat shit so there's that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 18:53 

Cookie197 wrote:
1) Murdered: Soul Suspect

Trying to actually catch up with my 150+ game backlog on Steam...
2) The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
3) Spec Ops: The Line
4) Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut (Boss Battles are so much better than in the original version)

Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next