And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Edge Top 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:25 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
buy the magazine

Has it though? All I've seen are posts on various forums with the list and people arguing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 
Excellent Member

I've only bought Edge when they did that whole 200 different covers thing, and I was tricked into it just to see what cover i got. I hated the magazine. Completely sterile, no soul whatsoever. They don't even bother to sign the articles, as if they're written by some sort of AI.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:32 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Future Warrior wrote:
TheVision wrote:
buy the magazine

Has it though? All I've seen are posts on various forums with the list and people arguing.

It's got people talking about it in any case. If it was to encourage magazine sales then this list can't have done any harm at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:37 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I have played 19 and "finished" 3.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:39 
Bad Girl

Forgive my ignorance but isn't Tetris Blitz the mobile phone game? The one with in-app purchases? And touchscreen controls? It's therefore worse than Tetris on Gameboy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but isn't Tetris Blitz the mobile phone game? The one with in-app purchases? And touchscreen controls? It's therefore worse than Tetris on Gameboy.

Yup, but it's a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 13:11 
Excellent Painter

Edge still exists?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 13:12 
Paws for thought

Plaued 58 of them.

I do, naturally, agree with #1.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 13:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

This person thinks there are 69 games that are better than L4D2. That makes them fools at best, dangerously insane at worst.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 13:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Wat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 13:35 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
There are many games better than L4D2, starting with L4D1.

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 13:52 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
There are many games better than L4D2, starting with L4D1.

Yes.

good. I thought i was the only one.

Grim... wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Yup, but it's a lot of fun.

Never played Tetris Blitz, but there's no reason for the original Tetris to be there instead of Tetris DS.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 13:54 

I disagree with the notion that classics should be replaced in lists like these with later games that basically do the same thing but with better graphics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 13:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Anyone who doesn't like hitting zombies with fire axes is fundamentally broken.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:02 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:

It didn't add enough to be a genuine sequel, and it split the userbase by being released a mere 12 months after the first game.

And six years later we still don't have L4D3 - Evolve looks pants.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:05 

If they release a new L3D I will probably buy a new console. Maybe, I will not state for certainty I will, but I would certainly consider it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:17 
Can you dig it?

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:
Like when Mali said that the ginger one was the fittest of Girls Aloud.

Hmm.

HMM.

I do like me some ginger hair.

Craster confirms.

For some reason I've thought of this part of the thread a few times throughout the day and it has amused me, so thanks for that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:28 
Excellent Member

lasermink wrote:
I disagree with the notion that classics should be replaced in lists like these with later games that basically do the same thing but with better graphics.

If they basically do the same thing why would better graphics not make them better? Should people stick with worse presentation when better is available through some kind of weird loyalty to an older game? I don't think that really makes much sense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:29 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

If they basically do the same thing why would better graphics not make them better? Should people stick with worse presentation when better is available through some kind of weird loyalty to an older game? I don't think that really makes much sense.

You could argue they're better or worse games. Better because they've been refined and polished, or worse because they lack innnovation and are just a retread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:34 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

You could argue they're better or worse games. Better because they've been refined and polished, or worse because they lack innnovation and are just a retread.

Lacking innovation doesn't somehow actually make a game worst to play though so I think that argument would be very hard to make.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:36 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Lacking innovation doesn't somehow actually make a game worst to play though so I think that argument would be very hard to make.

It all depends what your criteria are for 'best game'.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:44 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Of course, but the implication here is that a game should only be judged 'best' if it's also the first to do something and that's not a meaning of the word best I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:48 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Of course, but the implication here is that a game should only be judged 'best' if it's also the first to do something and that's not a meaning of the word best I've ever heard.

What about Call of Duty, or Fifa as examples? The most recent games might be the most polished and therefore provide the best graphics and gameplay, but franchise fatigue may ensure that no one would consider them 'best' in the series.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fifa 15 > Fifa 16 (and 13 > 14. It's like the Star Trek films).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:49 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Fifa 15 > Fifa 16 (and 13 > 14. It's like the Star Trek films).

09 is the last one I played, so I'm enjoying 16 well enough. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Future Warrior wrote:
Cras wrote:

It didn't add enough to be a genuine sequel, and it split the userbase by being released a mere 12 months after the first game.

It split the userbase into losers and winners, yes. Even if it wasn't a genuine sequel and was effectively just a map pack, that still has the same effect on the userbase.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:58 
Isn't that lovely?

not in the same way as then everyone has at least the core maps that you can fall back to. Rather than some people having both games, but the vast majority having just one or the other.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:59 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

What about Call of Duty, or Fifa as examples? The most recent games might be the most polished and therefore provide the best graphics and gameplay, but franchise fatigue may ensure that no one would consider them 'best' in the series.

If something has the best graphics and gameplay then it's the best. It's completely fair for someone to say they're not interested in actually playing something because they're bored of that kind of game, but it still doesn't make any sense to deny that a particular entry in the series is the best example just because you personally aren't interested.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 15:01 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

If something has the best graphics and gameplay then it's the best. It's completely fair for someone to say they're not interested in actually playing something because they're bored of that kind of game, but it still doesn't make any sense to deny that a particular entry in the series is the best example just because you personally aren't interested.

Actually it's completely subjective. My criteria for best game is obviously different from yours. This is where 'best of' lists fall down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 15:04 

I am not sure I would replay CoD4 if it were released with updated graphics though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 15:07 

Cras wrote:

It split the userbase into losers and winners, yes. Even if it wasn't a genuine sequel and was effectively just a map pack, that still has the same effect on the userbase.

The maps are worse, though. And the new mechanics (special undead, melee weapons, chainsaws with fuel, refuelling the car) are all OK in isolation but in totality they do more to clutter up the clean design of the original than they do to keep it fresh.

More isn't always better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 15:15 

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Actually it's completely subjective. My criteria for best game is obviously different from yours. This is where 'best of' lists fall down.

A list that doesn't have Doom in it because more polished FPSs have come out is just not a list I am interested in reading, that's all I am saying. I want to know about the classics, not the remakes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 15:20 
Excellent Member

But that's a totally different matter. Doom is still one of the best and most fun FPS, the same as Fallout being one of the best RPG's, even with lots of modern and prettier games around. If the next Doom is as good as the first but with better graphics and controls, then yes, in that case it should replace the 1st and 2nd.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 22:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Split the Left 4 Dead talk

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2