Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Until Dawn
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:19 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/until-dawn-ps4/

Until Dawn looks interesting out in the US today

Gamespot review (8/10) - http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/until-d ... 0-6416221/

Jim Sterlings review (9.5/10) - http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/08/ ... wn-review/

Quote:
Until Dawn is everything that Quantic Dream games have tried to be – unsuccessfully – for the past decade. It emulates horror movies while demonstrating a clear understanding of what makes those movies work, its focus on consequence is nervewracking and intricate, and its story is silly but strongly delivered. It’s the best David Cage game not made by David Cage, and it’s the best interactive horror flick you’ll play.

Kotaku review (by Patrick Klepek) - http://kotaku.com/until-dawn-the-kotaku ... 1726108417

Quote:
Until Dawn is weird. It’s got problems—the pacing is way better in the first half, you spend too much time looking for collectibles, the story isn’t actually worth a damn in the end—but it’s so earnest. This game was made by horror fans for horror fans, and that passion is obvious. Culty, schlocky games are exceptionally rare, but Until Dawn fits that description perfectly. It’s a big, dumb, super-fun choose-your-own-adventure game with some terrific scares. It shouldn’t exist...but it does, and I’m excited to play it again. Maybe when I do, I’ll manage to get a couple more of these dopes to the end alive.

Post subject: Re: Until Dawn
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 17:38 
8-Bit Champion

Well finished on my first playthrough (i'll wait a little while and try again to see just how much the story changes) - going into the final chapter I had 5 of the friends still alive , and by the end only 2 walked away (you can re-play chapters so i replayed the final one which gave me 4 survivors) - has the feel of a horror story and although i could see some of the 'twists' a long way off it was still fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 21:17 
UltraMod

I'll pick this up when it's a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 23:10 
8-Bit Champion

Future Warrior wrote:
I'll pick this up when it's a lot cheaper.

I would expect quite a drop - its a really enjoyable game but its around an 8 or 9 hour 'run' , if you want to replay it to see the other twists in the story you can replay individual chapters - I've read somewhere that its a 15 hour 'platinum' for the achievement hunters (*) so i expect quite a lot of them to be traded in after someone has finished the game and maybe had a little play around after that

(*) I only gained two achievements for my whole playthrough so its probably sitting there with a guide to get the platinum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:31 
8-Bit Champion

Interesting article about the changes the game has gone through since it was first announced / demonstrated

http://kotaku.com/until-dawn-was-a-very ... 1730861168

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:34 
Bad Girl

Im not sure about anyone else but having to unzip her top using the move controller actually sounds like a good idea in my head, even if the implementation might not be great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 19:43 
Ready for action

Just got this. So scary! I had to stop playing earlier to give my nerves a rest.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 23:04 
Bad Girl

First impressions are: this is very good. Well realised, good characters, nice environments, kooky intermissions, sexy teenagers. Yeah, I like this already.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 0:22 
Bad Girl

Hayden Pantyierre lends her likeness to this and, for some reason, probably being old and lonely, I couldn't help but think that with a super good likeness and VR that this is the future. The future of something. God knows what. Probably not gaming, although it may involve some kind of futuristic joystick.

Oh, and the game? Yeah, it's like Heavy Rain and Beyond: pointless subtle but instead of David Cage doing his best Kojima impression you get something actually worth doing a quick time or two about with interactions limited to pushing forward or holding R2. And yet, somehow, it's done at least 3 bloody good jump scares. Well done, Hayden Pantyierre and friends. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:15 
8-Bit Champion

I'd be interested in a Saturnalian report after you've finished it - I really enjoyed it but still need to set aside some time for a second full playthrough to go for some of the other endings.

Not really a spoiler but the way the save game works on here is that you can go back to any chapter and resume from that point (and carry things forward) but when you turn it off it resets the timeline back to the way you originally handled it - so for re-playing an odd chapter (specifically the last one) thats fine but if you want to really have a play around with the butterfly effect stuff then you need to re-play the whole game again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 23:22 
Bad Girl

Oh shit, I've lost my first one and it was, by far, my favourite one. This is exciting stuff in a "choose your adventure" sort of way.

The only thing cheesing me off is the how you move around the environments. Not just slowly, because that's annoying too, but with a strange tank-like way. Well not actual tank controls (although that would probably be better than what's on offer here) but you're just battling against the controller to get the person to move where you want. Plus your controls don't really know what to do when the camera changes and you're pushing right but now you're moving left. Really irritating back of your mind stuff, but they could easily have sorted this out. It's so "amateurish" in an otherwise really nice piece of work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 23:29 
Bad Girl

OH FUCK! Two down!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 0:09 
Bad Girl

I swear 70% of the time the characters look as though they're walking realistically and naturally and then 30% of the time they look as though they've come from PS2 "classic" The Getaway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 0:45 
8-Bit Champion

The game was originally being made for the PS3 using Move controllers - i cant remember the shonky movement bothering me at all - and any time there is a rush thing to do its always via a QTE or a choice rather than your dodgy movement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 0:23 
Bad Girl

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, it isn't affecting the game in any meaningful way except for the exploratory parts which are a large chunk of the playable bits.

Anyway, now let's check out "dat ass".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:01 
Bad Girl

4 survivors at the end! It would have been 5 but, for the first time during the entire game, I failed one of those "don't move" QTE. Could. Not. Effing. Believe. It.

I'm super interested in how much this game actually changes throughout with the different path. If it's wildly varied I reckon I may play through it again because...

... It was fantastic. Yes. Really. God I enjoyed it.

I'll write up some later on. It was really good though; better than Heavy Rain & Beyond without a shadow of a doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:27 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
4 survivors at the end! It would have been 5 but, for the first time during the entire game, I failed one of those "don't move" QTE. Could. Not. Effing. Believe. It.

My first playthrough I had 5 alive at the very end but decided to run for it and killed all but 2 , so I replayed the final chapter and saved those 5.

Saturnalian wrote:
I'm super interested in how much this game actually changes throughout with the different path. If it's wildly varied I reckon I may play through it again because...

... It was fantastic. Yes. Really. God I enjoyed it.

I'll write up some later on. It was really good though; better than Heavy Rain & Beyond without a shadow of a doubt.

There are some changes which will happen depending on who is alive and what you've already found but the core story stays the same - some possibly spoilery stuff below about who can survive - there is both an achievement for getting everyone out , and one for making sure everyone dies.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Mike and Sam cant die until the end of the game (if everyone else is dead then Mike just hits the switch and kills himself along with the Wendu who are in the house).

I lost Jessica at the very start , then Matt when I tried too hard to save Emily but kept everyone else around until the very end.

Its also interesting talking to people as they go through the story - I loaned the game to someone at work and asked how many people were still alive and she started to list off the dead with Josh and I could place exactly where she was in the game :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 23:26 
Bad Girl

How bizarre. I think we've had the same experience.

I lost Jessica taking the safe route to the mine and then Matt whilst trying to save Emily. I had 5 left by the end but in the final quick time I managed to get Sam skewed by the Wendigo diverting the baddie so Sam & Mike could make a run together.

Unless you count Josh too...

who was, sort of, alive at the end as he turned into a beast in my game. So I got 4 goodies and Josh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 0:39 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
How bizarre. I think we've had the same experience.

Almost identical

>I lost Jessica taking the safe route to the mine and then Matt whilst trying to save Emily. I had 5 left by the end but in the final quick time I managed to >get Sam skewed by the Wendigo diverting the baddie so Sam & Mike could make a run together.

I lost Jessica by missing up some of the QTE's with Mike , then at the very end I decided to run for it too quickly which got Mike killed , and Emily pushed Ashley out of the way to make it to the door so she died as well

Unless you count Josh too...

who was, sort of, alive at the end as he turned into a beast in my game. So I got 4 goodies and Josh.

He has 2 end states - in my first playthough i did not find enough info so he died (killed by Hannah) , however when i replayed that last chapter I found the diary which was the only clue i missed so he survived until dawn (and then turned into a monster afterwards)

The 'turn into a monster' is him surviving the night , if you don't find enough clues when he faces the monster in the water it just crushes his head.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:07 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:

Emily pushed Ashley out of the way to make it to the door so she died as well

Hah! She did that in my run but I just got Sam to close the door behind them shutting out the whatsit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 20:07 

I have this! 10 GB update, what the fuck?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 20:41 
8-Bit Champion

lasermink wrote:
I have this! 10 GB update, what the fuck?

The game is enormous (55gig i think - its the biggest game / item i have on my PS4)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I started playing this at about 9pm yesterday. I've just completed it (fittingly, as the sun came up).

Fucking *hell* it's good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:41 
Gogmagog

It's £18 at Tesco right now, I might buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:42 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
I started playing this at about 9pm yesterday. I've just completed it (fittingly, as the sun came up).

Fucking *hell* it's good.

There is not a lot of replayability in there but it does what it sets out to do really well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:03 
8-Bit Champion

MaliA wrote:
It's £18 at Tesco right now, I might buy it.

If you dont fancy the trip out its ~£22 on the PSN store

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/ ... 300024_exc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 22:05 
Gogmagog

This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. It's like being in I know what you did last summer .

It's even got a Mr Chris! So he does go to A Cottage! I forgot who the others are. I jumped quite a lot. Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 22:11 
Bad Girl

It's well worth £18. I loved it and I'm surprised it made me jump as often as it did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 22:14 
Gogmagog

Saturnalian wrote:
It's well worth £18. I loved it and I'm surprised it made me jump as often as it did.

100 minutes in and I've jumped 5 times.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Second playthrough done!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 13:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wanna watch me play the first three hours? Of course you do:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 19:58 
Unpossible!

Actually, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wait, really? Goodness. Sorry about the bits where it was paused for cigarettes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 13:04 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Wait, really? Goodness. Sorry about the bits where it was paused for cigarettes.

Well, I haven't got a hope of actually playing the damn thing :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 13:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If you have a PS4 you can play on my copy with remote share.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 13:45 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
If you have a PS4 you can play on my copy with remote share.

I assume 'not having a hope' of playing it implies a bigger barrier than just buying a copy of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 13:51 
Unpossible!

No PS4, no money to buy one. No time to play the games I have :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 14:07 
Isn't that lovely?

DavPaz wrote:
No PS4, no money to buy one. No time to play the games I have :)

Are you me?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 22:04 
Gogmagog

Hoooo boy. Things are not looking good for them right now. 2 down.

I love this. Even the bits that make me jump.

Spoilers what has happened so far up to about half midnight :

So matt saw Mike and Emily through the telescope and had a fight with him. Mike and jess went to the other cottage and jess was pulled through a window. Mike gave chase but fell over a lot and jess was pushed to her death. Meanwhile Mr chris and Josh and ash had a séance then Josh and ash were beaten up by a clown. Mr chris went to look for them but the clown beat him up too. Mr chris woke up and still went looking for him. He found them only he had to choose which one didn't get circular sawed to death and he chose ash and Josh got cut in half. Ash and Mr chris then left and met Emily and matt. The scary man interviewing me is scary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 23:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mali:
What did Jess look like when she died? Anything particular about her face? And did you get her into her underwear?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:43 
Gogmagog

Grim....

her jaw looked missing. And she was in jeans and her white top. I had the premonition about her getting up from a fall in her scanties.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 
Unpossible!

Nice spoiler tags, man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Whoops. Well, nothing too bad in mine.

@Mali: Good, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:16 
Time Out for Fun

Brilliant game, halved played it with the girlfriend.

I managed to kill the blonde speccy nerd one in a wendigo attack, sadly as he was the most likable character. We only killed one more character, the main character, the blonde lass. My girlfriend was playing the end of the game, she just has to keep the joypad still to stop the wendigo killing her. Nope, dead, She thought she had won and moved. Then the game ended.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 21:40 
Gogmagog

Oh my! It really isn't some people's days here. Chapter 6 is superb.

Mike/Matt and Emily are on the edge of cliff being threatened by reindeer and matt/Mike has managed to explode himself in the sanatorium. Sam was captured by the clown guy despite giving him a blow to the noggin and cheesing it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Matt is the black guy, Mike is the white one.

Excellently, when I first played it I played with a guy called Mike, and we both fought to keep our namesakes alive.

I won that one ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:21 
Gogmagog

I'm really enjoying this as you can make your own Teenage Murder Simulator. And it does tension really well in places. I can understand why the pretty indirect control you have over the people might infuriate Those Of A Lesser Mind because you cannot BatmanNinja an Elk but it works really well if you strap yourself in and go along for the ride. The chapters are just the right length, the sound is pretty good and BOO! SCARED YA!

It's pretty well produced, cheesy fun and we'll worth the entrance fee.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 21:40 
Gogmagog

Oh my. This is awesome

Matt died. Mr Chris shot himself. Mike seems fine. Emily probably dead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 13:55 
Gogmagog

This is epic. Up to chapter nine now. Wow.

Josh! You dick! I'm pleased Mr Chris was still alive so he could smash you with a plank of wood. Emily! You survived and did good running to meet Mr Flamethrower. Mr Flamethrower passed on his knowledge then Mr Chris stood on a stick and the Winnebago cut Mr Flamethrowers's head off. Mr Chris ran but it wasn't enough! Still, at least Ash gave him a snog before the Winniebagel tosses his head at the door. Mike/Matt didn't shoot Emily as Emily was bitten and the Matt\Mike went away to get a key. Ash read a book. Oh. And Emily found beth's head

This whole thing is super fun and ace. I love it.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 22:18 
Gogmagog

Holy shit that was epic!

2 survivors*!

I recommend this although
once the beast is revealed, it becomes a lot less scary. The last third is nowhere near as good as what led up to it[spoiler]

I would say 8/10

*[spoiler] blonde and Emily lived. Matt/mike died in the cabin as blondie went for the light switch. Sorry mike/matt

Now to go back and kill/save them all!

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next