Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Gmail has shit signature handling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
The solicitors regulation authority doesn't think they're pointless. All communications have to state my SRA No, that I'm a solicitor and some other jazz. So if you've got to have them then why not make them pretty and professional, init?

Yeah, you do need them. It's not all sigs that are pointless, it's the legal disclaimers.

I guess if he has to include his SRA# then it's not pointless, although it is for nearly everyone else. Fuck off taking up 1/4 of my screen with your name and company name, everyone! I already know!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:06 
Bad Girl

The disclaimers are actually a bit of a bug bear for me since I have to keep a paper copy of every communication. Some of those fuckers run on for pages.

'cause I'm pretty tech savvy ( ;) ) I know how to print a single page but my old place used to just hit print and watch the reams of paper come streaming out together with the soul of the rain forest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You know you've hit the jackpot when you get a massive legal disclaimer, then a 'please think of the poor trees before printing this'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
I have to keep a paper copy of every communication

Dear God, what year is this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:09 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

:this: Fucking hell!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:16 

Grim... wrote:
Aside - you might want to stop and think about why you have an email signature at all. They're pretty pointless.

The sig on my private address contains my cell phone number. Nobody ever notices this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:28 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

You're talking about an industry where some firms don't have email (16% I think I read recently) and most won't communicate with you by email.

Also, I haven't got the time, inclination, money or case management systems to scan everything in. Or money. Money mainly. So, y'know, paper files are absolutely fine for my operation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
You're talking about an industry where some firms don't have email (16% I think I read recently)

Saturnalian wrote:
and most won't communicate with you by email.

Saturnalian wrote:
scan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:52 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
You're talking about an industry where some firms don't have email (16% I think I read recently)

Grim...][quote="Saturnalian wrote:
and most won't communicate with you by email.

Dear God, what year is this?[/quote]

Grim...][quote="Saturnalian wrote:
scan

Dear God, what year is this?[/quote]

-edit- Can't be arsed to fix this. :DD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You fucked it up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I have a mate who's trying to move house. It's taken him three weeks so far to get 7 different solicitors to all talk to each other on the same day to agree a date for exchange. They literally have to do it serially - lawyer one calls lawyer two, then lawyer two calls lawyer three, etc. Each and every day there was another reason why they failed to get all the calls done in a day. And the next day they start again. They weren't even debating the date, they just have to tell each other and agree.

Three weeks it took, to do something that could have been achieved with one email and six replies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:05 
UltraMod

Law people are dumb and yet make so much money. There's a lesson there for all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:16 
Prince of Fops

Back onto Windows 10 - I bought an HP Stream laptop at the weekend which pleasingly looks like it's made from Lego, in both colour and scale.

With it I got a £20 promo code to spend in the Windows App store. So, can anyone recommend any must-have Windows Apps that cost monies? I'd likely use the code to download to my main PC, rather than the lego laptop.

I realise my criteria is broad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:22 
Bad Girl

Future Warrior wrote:
Law people are dumb and yet make so much money. There's a lesson there for all of us.

So why am I so poor!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:25 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

So why am I so poor!

You're the dumbest of the dumb, as Shirley Manson once sang.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Findus Fop wrote:
Back onto Windows 10 - I bought an HP Stream laptop at the weekend which pleasingly looks like it's made from Lego, in both colour and scale.

With it I got a £20 promo code to spend in the Windows App store. So, can anyone recommend any must-have Windows Apps that cost monies? I'd likely use the code to download to my main PC, rather than the lego laptop.

I realise my criteria is broad.

http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsof ... games-news

:shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:44 
Prince of Fops

Christ, it's as arid as the Windows mobile store. Might have to spend £8 on a pdf reader. Watch this space.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:55 
Excellent Member

You'll be able to buy Halo: Spartan Assault and Halo: Spartan Strike on there no doubt. They're fun looking twin-stick shooters set in the Halo universe.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/halo-sp ... 0-6416114/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 19:04 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
You'll be able to buy Halo: Spartan Assault and Halo: Spartan Strike on there no doubt. They're fun looking twin-stick shooters set in the Halo universe.

cheers, I'll have a go at hooking up my 360 pad to tha machine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 20:12 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

cheers, I'll have a go at hooking up my 360 pad to tha machine.

If it's a wired pad you just plug it in and you're done, Windows has full native support. If it's wireless then you need to buy one of these to connect it. You can probably find them cheaper than that, that's just the first link I came across.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 20:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hitman go is well worth whatever they're charging for it these days. Get that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 20:39 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Hitman go is well worth whatever they're charging for it these days. Get that.

Also the semi-sequel Lara Croft GO which is also awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 21:24 
Excellent Member

I've no idea if this is actually a Windows 10 issue or not, but fuck it.

As well as being connected to my monitor via DVI, my PC is also HDMI'd to my TV; and the TV's optical out is then connected to my surround sound system. I realised tonight that audio coming from the PC wasn't actual being rendered in surround. The PS4 is also HDMI'd to the TV and it does output surround properly (um, now that I've activated it in the settings *cough*) so that rules out a problem with the TV->surround amp connection, and means it's definitely on my PC itself. I've gone through the Windows audio settings and made sure it's set to 5.1. I even went through the AMD control panel thing to check things there as the HDMI connection does come from the gfx card but there's nothing obvious happening. Anyone got any idea what it could be?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 21:36 

I thought optical out was 2 channels only? Don't you need to connect to your amp via HDMI? I could be wrong, mind, but I just seem to vaguely remember reading this recently.

EDIT: No, that's not right. It was something to do with HD audio, whatever that is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 21:55 

Anyway, try and google "optical vs hdmi", there seems to be a lot of discussion about this that might give a clue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 23:16 
Excellent Member

lasermink wrote:
I thought optical out was 2 channels only? Don't you need to connect to your amp via HDMI? I could be wrong, mind, but I just seem to vaguely remember reading this recently.

EDIT: No, that's not right. It was something to do with HD audio, whatever that is.

Most TVs won't output surround sound via optical and just dumb it down to stereo. Sony TVs are generally pretty good for this though and I know mine will do it because I've tested it with the PS4 and it works fine. What optical won't handle, as you say, is the higher definition surround sound that you get on Blurays but I'm not bothered about that.

lasermink wrote:
Anyway, try and google "optical vs hdmi", there seems to be a lot of discussion about this that might give a clue.

I'm not sure that's relevant; my issue is that my PC doesn't seem to want to output surround via HDMI as opposed to anything to do with optical. Given that the PS4 manages surround perfectly well going HDMI->optical I'm assuming the problem here is the PCs HDMI connection to the TV as some level.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 23:28 

Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Most TVs won't output surround sound via optical and just dumb it down to stereo. Sony TVs are generally pretty good for this though and I know mine will do it because I've tested it with the PS4 and it works fine. What optical won't handle, as you say, is the higher definition surround sound that you get on Blurays but I'm not bothered about that.

lasermink wrote:

I'm not sure that's relevant; my issue is that my PC doesn't seem to want to output surround via HDMI as opposed to anything to do with optical. Given that the PS4 manages surround perfectly well going HDMI->optical I'm assuming the problem here is the PCs HDMI connection to the TV as some level.

Yeah, that makes sense. And like you say, Sony TVs are supposed to handle this well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 23:36 
Bad Girl

Obviously I can't help cause I'm a spaz, but I did want to say that twice now since I updated to Windows 10 the sound has completely disappeared with no apparent way to get it back without restarting the pooty. I never had any problems with Win 8.1 so it must be Windows Fucking 10.

Also: I still miss the tiles as a sort of home screen. Over there on the start button looks shit.

EDIT: Well blow me, I wrote then went for a look at the Tablet mode for a minute and then somehow made a screen pop up to tell me how you can recreate the tiled start screen from personalisation.

EDIT 2: Actually it scrolls vertically now, so it's a bit different just for the fucking sake of it of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 13:15 
Excellent Member

Over all Windows 10 is pretty good day to day.

Still got a lot of small annoying things though, mostly between Apps and Windows Applications

Take today, I wanted to update my account picture and the camera app that takes a new one kept chucking up errors.

No issue with the same webcam for Skype, Lync etc and its obviously Ok in device manager

So I look the error up, and to fix it I had to install another driver that now calls my Logitech 9000 a USB Camera in Device manager.

So now it works with everything, my issue is I was doing account changes which I don't see as an Metro\App task, yet the now you are forced to use crappy apps that won't work with a camera that everything else on you PC has no issue with.

Also find IE 11 on Windows 10 can be really shit with a number of websites, so much so I have Chrome installed now as a backup

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 14:03 

Overall I regret upgrading so soon. I have now had several older games giving me trouble that worked fine in Windows 8.1. Also, I wanted to try some programming with the Unreal Engine, but it requires Visual Studio to work, and that, if you will believe it, does not work in Windows 10. I mean, come on, Microsoft. Really?

In fact, where Windows 8.1 more or less just worked, Windows 10 has rekindled my hatred for all things Windows.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 14:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

lasermink wrote:
Also, I wanted to try some programming with the Unreal Engine, but it requires Visual Studio to work, and that, if you will believe it, does not work in Windows 10.

What? That it does.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 14:50 
Paws for thought

Err... visual studio works ok, I believe. Does at work at any case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 15:06 

Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Also, I wanted to try some programming with the Unreal Engine, but it requires Visual Studio to work, and that, if you will believe it, does not work in Windows 10.

What? That it does.

Not the Community 2015 version. The installer bugs out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 15:23 

I think it may be a network issue, as it seems unable to download files from within the setup program. I had the same problem trying to install Skype. I haven't had problems with anything else, though, only Microsoft's installers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 15:58 
Paws for thought

Ahh, we use isos

No download required.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 16:09 

I've just installed it today without any issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 16:36 

I don't get anything from a Google search on the issue, so it could be something quite specific for my setup. Back when I installed Window 8.1 I had to manually install some super duper special network drivers because Windows doesn't recognize the Killer network chip on the MSI Gaming board. It is still using those drivers after upgrading, because Windows 10 still won't recognize it.

On the other hand, like I said, nothing else has given me any problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 18:34 

Everything was going fine until yesterday when my start button broke. Pathetic.
Currently following some online advice to see if I can get it back (I like the pop-up weather forecast)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 18:41 
UltraMod

I'm happy with Windows 10 - glad Microsoft realised the error of their ways and made a solid OS again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 18:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
I'm happy with Windows 10 - glad Microsoft realised the error of their ways and made a solid OS again.
The "every other" rule holds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 19:04 

Kern wrote:
Everything was going fine until yesterday when my start button broke. Pathetic.
Currently following some online advice to see if I can get it back (I like the pop-up weather forecast)

Hmmm...well, the second solution on this page appears to have fixed it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 19:20 

Lonewolves wrote:

Drive letters tho
Program Files (x64) tho
SysWOW64 tho

what's up with that

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 19:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Drive letters are ideal as something that makes sense to a basic end user, to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 19:42 

So far, Windows 10 seems a lot less solid than 8.1.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 19:52 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
Drive letters are ideal as something that makes sense to a basic end user, to be honest.

As long as you don't need more than 26 24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 20:13 
Paws for thought

DavPaz wrote:
Cras wrote:

It's not like alternatives aren't provided.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 20:27 
Decapodian

DavPaz wrote:
Cras wrote:

You can still use A and B for non-floppy drives

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 20:28 
Unpossible!

I haven't seen a B drive in many a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 21:41 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

The magic phantom B: drive

Can you actually use B: if you have something else defined as A: ?
(I mean in Win10 or whatever)

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next