Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Derren Brown
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 0:28 

So, what's the general board consensus on Derren Brown?

Post subject: Re: Derren Brown
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 0:29 
lazy eye patch

Derren's a stupid name, like Darrin and Darren.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 0:29 
Paws for thought

His father is aces. Not so sure about him.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 0:31 

Who is his father?

Also, I like the name 'Derren' it sounds nice when you speak it aloud. Strong but smooth, like a good bourbon.

I have no idea what I am talking about now, so I am off to bed.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 0:35 
SavyGamer

He is very entertaining.

I love that he doesn't claim it's 'magic', and that he is entirely open about the fact that all he uses is a clever mix of suggestion, misdirection, manipulation, psychology and showmanship.

I'm sure that you aren't seeing the full picture, like any TV, there will be times when it doesn't go right, so he doesn't show it, but even taking that into account it's often very impressive.

It's good TV.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 0:36 
Paws for thought

Mr Mimi wrote:
Who is his father?

He was apparently our swimming instructor at school. Who was generally awesome. (Mainly as he didn't mind us arriving 50 minutes late for an hour and a half lesson as it allowed him more time to smoke massive cigars in his office)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:16 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Hovers around the range from midly annoying to mildly entertaining most of the time, swinging into extremely annoying when he does one of his idiotic stunts that everyone bangs on about as though they're not entirely staged and entirely predictable. That kitten thing the other day for example. Christ even knows what that was about - we flicked over halfway through, and even thoug hI had not the faintest idea what was going on, I described exactly what would happen. And then it did. Golly.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:29 
Rude Belittler

I find him very entertaining when he's doing stuff with random people/'random people' like pickpocketing, and playing heads-or-tails, or showing you how to do 'medium' stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:20 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
He is very entertaining.

I love that he doesn't claim it's 'magic', and that he is entirely open about the fact that all he uses is a clever mix of suggestion, misdirection, manipulation, psychology and showmanship.

That's the brilliance of Derren Brown. He does the same 'magic' tricks as Paul Daniels et al, but instead of saying 'ooh, it's magic' he goes 'ooh, I have super-cool psychological NLP powers'. No-one believes in magic anymore, so by grounding his tricks in science he brings back that sense of awe we had when we kids and *did* believe in magic.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:36 

Deano2099 wrote:
He does the same 'magic' tricks as Paul Daniels et al.

You think?

Most 'magicians' as I knew them when I was a kid were more concerned with slight of hand - tricks to the eye more than tricks to the mind - making people disappear from boxes and the like. I like Brown's concentration on psychology and 'tells' (to borrow a poker term I have heard) that give people's thoughts and impulses away. I admire his somewhat freaky ability to convince someone to do something against their normal will.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My girlfriend was seriously concerned that the kitten was going to be killed the other day... Tsk, I soon put her straight.

I knew exactly what was going to happen with it!

Still... very, very clever if it is all true.

There's some very weak willed people around.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:49 

Generally I think he's really good however some of the things he does make me think that either he is lying and he actually has real magic powers or more likely that he is lying and that some of his participants are stooges. I don't believe that anyone could actually do some of the things he claims to do by "reading them" or suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:58 
That Rev Chap

sinister agent wrote:
That kitten thing the other day for example. Christ even knows what that was about - we flicked over halfway through, and even thoug hI had not the faintest idea what was going on, I described exactly what would happen. And then it did. Golly.

That was the exact point, surely?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:59 

LewieP wrote:
He is very entertaining.

I'm sure that you aren't seeing the full picture, like any TV, there will be times when it doesn't go right, so he doesn't show it, but even taking that into account it's often very impressive.

It's good TV.

:this:

He has shown off abject failures in the past, but yeah not many, would make for a pretty crap show.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:03 

Yes, - I was going to say that - he HAS shown things in the past where he has got it wrong.

I remember one instance where he was walking around a market and guessing how much was in people's wallets, agreeing to match the sum that they had with his own money if he didn't guess to within a pound, or something. he pretty impressively guessed loads of people's purse contents and then asked a boy of about 9. He said something like £4, but the kid was carrying about £300 and on his way to buy some games console or another. Derren was pretty amused, but not as much as the suddenly very rich nine year old.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:11 
Isn't that lovely?

Oh, he has some new stuff out?

I thought they were still repeating his older stuff?

I was really into his stuff, but I guess I've gone off the boil a bit, maybe you can only take so much of the same thing?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:11 
Sitting balls-back folder

TheVision wrote:
My girlfriend was seriously concerned that the kitten was going to be killed the other day... Tsk, I soon put her straight.
Seriously, how fucking hard is it to not "kill" a kitten? If I were that girl's bank I'd be having her cards back off her straight away.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:19 

I'm a big fan of Derren Brown. I particularly like how he'll do a traditional magic trick, involving some sleight of hand or whatever, and dress it up in the psychological stuff; then switch approaches and do one with a psychology angle but make it look like a sleight. I have a few friends from Bristol Uni who saw him before he was famous (he used to do close-up magic gigs around the Uni) and said he was awesome then, too. I also met a genuine close-up magician at the pub a few months back (feyonce of a workmate of my feyonce, if that makes any sense) and he was a big fan of Brown -- we spent a long time talking about it, and I made some guesses about certain techniques that he reckoned could well be correct. I got the feeling Brown is pretty well regarded in the magician community. Apparantly he was one of the best close-up magicians in the business and decided to pretty much leave that behind and start over, re-inventing his act around the psychology angle. It clearly paid off but it must have been a tough decision to essentially restart his career from scratch.

Also, I saw Brown perform in Cardiff in 2006 or 2007. It was an excellent show, very funny and very clever. Afterwards I emailed the PR contact listed on his web page:
Quote:
All this stuff about psychology is nonsense, isn't it? Occam's Razor tells us that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one, so clearly, you are some sort of alien psychic and all the "mental manipulation" stuff are just so us normal humans don't freak out and burn you are the stake!

I had a reply sent at 3am the next day, which is a very unlikely time for a PR flunky but quite a normal time for a touring performer. I suggest this may therefore have come from him directly. It's complete text was:

Quote:
Shhh. Don't tell anyone.

:DD

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:30 

Aawww, that's great! :munkeh:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:41 
Hibernating Druid

I've enjoyed all Derren Brown tv shows, he seems like a nice bloke too*. I would say I'd like to have a pint with him, but one half of my brain says KEEP AWAY FROM THE TRICKSY MAN.

*take note David Blane, actually just fuck off.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:48 
Excellent Member

I hope Derren doesn't join this forum. He'd start getting us to post stuff against our will and would trap Mimi and her monkey inside a quote box or something, all the while accurately predicting what contentious thing CUS was about to say in freaky 1 minute pre-emptive posts.

Edit:

Seriously, he does sound a nice bloke, and his acts are quite impressive sometimes. Love that story, Richardgaywood.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:06 
Excellently persuasive

Quote:
Image Image

Mwah ha ha ha ha.

CUS will say:

"you're a cunt".

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:19 
Gogmagog

I really like his stuff. Apparently, his book, "Trick of the mind" is reet good, like. But I've not read it.

And that message from the PR thing is top-est most king.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:26 
Hibernating Druid

Cool, I might go into waterstones at lunchtime and skim read it.

Ha Derren you are the loose!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:36 

I have his book, it is excellent. It goes into a lot of detail about some of his techniques, and talks at length about rationalism , and skepticism -- Lave should lap it up. It's also very funny too.

Derren Brown is on my "dream dinner party" guest list. But not my "dream poker night" guest list, obviously. We tenatively booked the magician feller I was on about up there for our wedding -- he does this a lot apparantly, before and after the meal when everyone is milling around or waiting for their food to come out he goes from table to table and does some card tricks and whatnot. Magic is incredibly compelling like that, that night in the pub I watched him do a half-dozen genuinely breathtaking tricks from less than three feet away. Was a hell of a good night.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:44 

Oh, and I should add that regardless what you think of most of his stuff, his Messiah and Medium shows (both one-hour special one-offs) where absolutely required viewing and well worth seeking out.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:51 
Hibernating Druid

So, everyone here likes him then.

That's nice.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:53 
That Rev Chap

I think his Russian Roulette show was one of the best pieces of TV I've ever seen.

He's able to make incredibly compelling hold-your-breath stuff even though you know you're being tricked and manipulated.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:07 
baron of techno

As I read this, the hated Jo Whiley on Radio 1 is saying he's going to be interviewed later this morning.

I like him too BTW. I am easily impressed by clever tricks and his are the cleverest.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:11 
Gogmagog

The Rev Owen wrote:
I think his Russian Roulette show was one of the best pieces of TV I've ever seen.

He's able to make incredibly compelling hold-your-breath stuff even though you know you're being tricked and manipulated.

I really liked that, and the 'robbing a bank' one.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:24 

I enjoyed the 'hold-up' episode, too. Just watching all of the bits come together was quite amazing.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:29 

Oh, and the pet cemetary advertising one!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:37 

I didn't realise he had a new series on. Clearly Mr Brown does not want me viewing his works anymore.

[EDIT: Oh, and as alreadly mentioned, his book is ace]

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 15:05 
PC Gamer

There was a really good video floating around [my local video store] in which he explained how he did several of his sleight-of-hand and more simple suggestion and psychology-based tricks. I can't remember what it was called unfortunately, which renders this post fairly useless.

Anyway - he's good. The special with him picking the winners of horse races ("The System"?) was excellent.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 15:24 
Hibernating Druid

Rodafowa wrote:
There was a really good video floating around [my local video store]

Man, he's clever.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 16:54 

Zardoz wrote:
I've enjoyed all Derren Brown tv shows, he seems like a nice bloke too*. I would say I'd like to have a pint with him, but one half of my brain says KEEP AWAY FROM THE TRICKSY MAN.

*take note David Blane, actually just fuck off.

:this:

Also, I'm currently about halfway through his book, and it's dead good.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 16:59 
Excellent Member

Oh, you're here now, Agent Starling. Excellent. :)

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 16:59 

I've just ordered the book from the Book Depository, with all you folks singing it's praises!

Also, Hi Starling - so nice to see you! :kiss:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 17:07 

I'm annoyed at myself for not realising he had another series on at the moment, but no matter, and I'll swoop on the DVD in time.

What I love about his stuff, is that it sounds kind of silly and simple when explained, and you think, oh I could do that, but really you couldn't.

For example, he'll have a conversation with you and keep throwing in the words "red" and "car", than at the end he'll ask what you want most for Christmas, and you'll say "a red car", even though you don't, not really.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 18:00 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Agent Starling wrote:
For example, he'll have a conversation with you and keep throwing in the words "red" and "car", than at the end he'll ask what you want most for Christmas, and you'll say "a red car", even though you don't, not really.

Or Daily Mail, blatantly.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 18:23 

Rodafowa wrote:
There was a really good video floating around [my local video store] in which he explained how he did several of his sleight-of-hand and more simple suggestion and psychology-based tricks.
The magician blokey I met in the pub (talked about earlier in the thread) talked highly of this video, and also of a couple of for-magicians books he wrote about his card trick techniques.

nynfortoo wrote:
That one is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 18:31 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

richardgaywood wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:
That one is awesome.

Isn't it just! I just love the way he winks and smiles to the behind-the-scenes camera when he's saying it at one point.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 19:07 

MaliA wrote:
I really like his stuff. Apparently, his book, "Trick of the mind" is reet good, like. But I've not read it.

As others have said, it is dead good. And surprisingly funny; his writing style is very readable.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 19:27 
Awesome
Yes

I went to see him live a few months ago, and he was mind-blowingly awesome.

All the people he picked were done by throwing frisbees out into the crowd, and getting them to pass them on, so no stooges likely. He did one amazing trick which was to get someone to guess a three digit number he had written down, or win £10 if they got it wrong.

The guy immediately got it wrong but Derren convinced him to have another go, and guess another three digit number. He was wrong again, so Derren duly handed over the tenner. Before he went off stage though he asked him to unfold the note and read what was written on it. There was a message saying "I will get him to say this number" with an arrow pointing to the serial number. Yes, it was the six digits he had just guessed.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 19:29 

Mr Russ wrote:

All the people he picked were done by throwing frisbees out into the crowd, and getting them to pass them on, so no stooges likely. He did one amazing trick which was to get someone to guess a three digit number he had written down, or win £10 if they got it wrong.

The guy immediately got it wrong but Derren convinced him to have another go, and guess another three digit number. He was wrong again, so Derren duly handed over the tenner. Before he went off stage though he asked him to unfold the note and read what was written on it. There was a message saying "I will get him to say this number" with an arrow pointing to the serial number. Yes, it was the six digits he had just guessed.
I know how this one works.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 20:06 
Isn't that lovely?

richardgaywood wrote:
Mr Russ wrote:

I know how this one works.

do tell (in spoiler text)

Malc

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 20:14 
Awesome
Yes

Yes, the fun of Derren's shows in his his showmanship, not in knowing how the tricks work.

A couple of the others I worked out, but this one I only have half an inkling, and cannot make the final jump as to how the numbers are chosen.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 20:25 
Awesome
Yes

The way I *think* it's done is that somehow the
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
note isn't real, and is printed offstage once the person has guessed the numbers, but the chap holding the note seemed pretty convinced, and we got to see it close up via camera as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 20:32 
Excellent Member

I've been disappointed with the new series so far.

The thing with the kitten was all a bit too one dimensional, and I don't think we really got to see exactly how they pressurised the girl into pushing the button,though I can imagine...

The previous one, with the the guy apparently memorising every single fact in every reference book ever printed was frankly unbelievable.

I don't see how it could have been done without some sort of collusion (and I'd really like to know if that was the case).

On the other hand, when he's good he's very good.
His best stunts are ones where you can at least half-believe he really has some sort of special powers.

One of the early ones, where he seemed to defeat a whole room of chess grandmasters at their own game was obvious when you thought about it (he *literally* played them against each other), but it was done with a certain panache and required some real skill - it was still impressive even when you knew the trick

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 20:48 

Mr Russ wrote:
The way I *think* it's done is that somehow the...
You are correct. After I saw him last year (he did a similar, although slightly more elaborate, stunt with the guy from the audience phoning a friend and the friend predicting the numbers) I was surfing and I came across some information on it.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Several people posting in the forum I found had been the ones called up for various tricks, and one guy actually had the tenner. On closer examination, Derren had written something on the note that had covered one of the serial numbers. The way it's done is one number is hidden and the other scratched off carefully by removing the top level of the print. As you have surmised, the note is printed on demand off-stage by an accomplice after the guy has guessed his six numbers, and slipped to Derren with some slight of hand. The guy who had his tenner said on very close examination the numbers looked slightly off, and another guy who had been on stage for a different trick recalled seeing a stage hand with a printer off in the wings of the stage.

Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next