Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits & Bobs 45
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Findus Fop wrote:
Scenes at Oxford Circus yesterday looked 'fucking horrible', as opposed to its default setting 'horrible'.

I'm always amazed by people being proper idiots. There was only one logical choice. Go get pissed, and let the booze taxi get you home late at night. Why would anyone have tried to throw themselves into that mess?!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:40 
Excellent Member

What's happening in London?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:46 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Scenes at Oxford Circus yesterday looked 'fucking horrible', as opposed to its default setting 'horrible'.

I'm always amazed by people being proper idiots. There was only one logical choice. Go get pissed, and let the booze taxi get you home late at night. Why would anyone have tried to throw themselves into that mess?!

Exactly! This whole strike is a fantastic excuse to get rat-arsed in the sun then hand fistfuls of dosh over to Uber.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:49 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:

London was given a vasectomy last night when its tube was tied by its workers, who want better working conditions.

A worker's perspective

No Tinder!!111!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:49 

I went to the Uber website recently and was excited to see 'Oxford' as an entry. It took me a few moments looking at the service map on the Oxford page to realise that the reason it didn't look quite right was because it was for a place in Ohio, not the glorious Shire.

Reminds me: I probably should disable the North American maps on my satnav when not there as it takes forever to scroll down the list to find the town I'm after.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

London was given a vasectomy last night when its tube was tied by its workers, who want better working conditions.

Technically they don't want worse ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:08 
Gogmagog

Findus Fop wrote:
Cras wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Exactly! This whole strike is a fantastic excuse to get rat-arsed in the sun then hand fistfuls of dosh over to Uber.

Wasn't that the general reaction to the bombings, "best get a pint in whilst it all calms down"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

At 9am?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:11 
Gogmagog

You pearl divers are generally looking for excuses to slope off early down the battleship for a few jars and a knees up around the old Joanna.

My memories of the pictures are clear muddled.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Back to your mine, you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:14 

MaliA wrote:
My memories of the pictures are clear muddled.

Hint: 'Shaun of the dead' was not a documentary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:54 
Unpossible!

This came up in my audiobook this morning

Attachment:
Big Stompy Boots.mp3

I thought of you guys

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 13:27 
Sleepyhead

My journey in was fine.

My journey to Battersea this afternoon will be less fun, I suspect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 13:40 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

It's probably appropriate to post this from The Mash from the last Tube strike...

Quote:
THE twisted troglodytes who inhabit London have been forced to expose themselves to daylight.

The near-blind, cannibalistic subhumans, who usually live their short brutish lives in either tunnels or offices, are now groping their way through the capital’s streets.

Nathan Muir, whose slimy green-white skin began to smoke and blossom into flame when touched by the sun, said: “The yellow eye in the heavens judges me.

“It burns me for my ugliness, because I defied the Lore by exposing my flesh to the Roofless World.”

The stunted goblins are trained from birth never to make eye contact with one another and use their holy text The Met Roe to hide their faces.

Their subterranean world is paralysed by a vicious war between the Riders and the Drivers begun by the Drivers’ megalomaniac leader, Crow.

Anthropologist Dr Helen Fisher said: “Crow demands an increase in tithe for the Drivers, insane idiot savants who spend their whole lives shackled to the controls of vast mechanical worms.

“Life is unimaginably awful down in the tunnels. There is a form of crude poetry inscribed on the walls, but it’s not anything a normal human could enjoy.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 15:08 
Excellent Painter

Cras wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

The thing is, Oxford Circus is fucking chaos every day at rush hour(s) and the station gets closed pretty much every bloody day due to it not being able to cope with the volume of people at these times. Something to do with the ticket concourse being too small to cater to the three tube lines that it feeds onto.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 15:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm not convinced you raise any kind of counter argument there that isn't already solved by 'go to the pub'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 18:17 
Noob as of 6/8/10

MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Cras wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Hey, London types. Having a nice day so far?

I had a long, multi-train journey into work, though it was actually quite pleasant. Then when I made it into the office the lift broke down on the way to my desk.

What business did it have at your desk, anyway?

Investments can go up and down.

This deserves a :DD and many bananas.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 21:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

http://howmanypeopleareinspacerightnow.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 21:31 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:

http://ismrchrisinspace.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:20 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:

I'm struggling to think of a reason I'd want an app to tell me that (given it's a broadly static figure).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:21 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Grim... wrote:

That's waaaaayyy out. It's something over 7 billion.

I don't have most of the names to hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:24 
Paws for thought

Well, at least by one. Eric is currently up in space being probed (anally) by aliens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:24 
Ready for action

Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I'm struggling to think of a reason I'd want an app to tell me that (given it's a broadly static figure).

It's amazing! Just to open that page and look at it and think about it. Wow. :luv:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:27 
Unpossible!

If there was an extinction level event, say a massive asteroid strike that knocked out all life on the planet overnight, can you imagine what it would be like for the ISS crew? If they's been resupplied recently, they'd have about 6 months.

Sorry for the downer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think if the asteroid strike was big enough to wipe out all life then the supplies they had would be the least of their worries.

But if the station survived, they'd just jump into a Soyuz and fly back to Earth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Sounds like a great film plot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:52 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

DavPaz wrote:
If there was an extinction level event, say a massive asteroid strike that knocked out all life on the planet overnight, can you imagine what it would be like for the ISS crew? If they's been resupplied recently, they'd have about 6 months.

Sorry for the downer.

ISS is in a fairly low level orbit. I'd guess that the shit kicked up by an asteroid strike large enough to wipe out life on earth would give enough debris thrown back up to fuck the space station up in pretty short order too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:00 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Sorry for the downer.

ISS is in a fairly low level orbit. I'd guess that the shit kicked up by an asteroid strike large enough to wipe out life on earth would give enough debris thrown back up to fuck the space station up in pretty short order too.

And then there would be automated trains carrying nobody running 24/7, coal being loaded into power stations to fuel radio broadcasts that nobody would hear. Satellites taking photographs of things nobody would ever see And all this time, Google's AI uploads, archives and draws its twisted pictures of an unoccupied world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:04 

Warhead wrote:

It's basically the plot to Neal Stephenson's new book Seveneves. The moon shatters into fragments that, a few years later, will pelt the Earth with so many meteorites that all of mankind will go extinct. What happens next?

It's the sort of book that will put one of the characters in a small capsule leaking air through a micrometeorite hole then go on a seven page tangent about orbital mechanics before telling you if they die or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:08 
Decapodian

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Warhead wrote:

It's basically the plot to Neal Stephenson's new book Seveneves. The moon shatters into fragments that, a few years later, will pelt the Earth with so many meteorites that all of mankind will go extinct. What happens next?

It's the sort of book that will put one of the characters in a small capsule leaking air through a micrometeorite hole then go on a seven page tangent about orbital mechanics before telling you if they die or not.

I find his books just too much like hard work, which is a shame as that sounds like a really interesting premise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:21 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Sorry for the downer.

And then there would be automated trains carrying nobody running 24/7, coal being loaded into power stations to fuel radio broadcasts that nobody would hear. Satellites taking photographs of things nobody would ever see And all this time, Google's AI uploads, archives and draws its twisted pictures of an unoccupied world.

Beautiful. Yours?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:23 
Excellent Member

It's also reminiscent of Dr Blood Money from Philip k Dick.

After an apocalyptic event a lone astronaut stays in space broadcasting to earth while not knowing if anyone is listening to him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:24 
Unpossible!

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Sorry for the downer.

That's an interesting idea. What sort of event that wiped out the earth would spare the station? Total nuclear destruction maybe? Multiple fault line breaks leading to tsunami?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Sorry for the downer.

That's an interesting idea. What sort of event that wiped out the earth would spare the station? Total nuclear destruction maybe? Multiple fault line breaks leading to tsunami?

Zombies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:44 
Unpossible!

We're not using the Z-word.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DavPaz wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Sorry for the downer.

The Rapture.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:05 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Sorry for the downer.

Beautiful. Yours?

Ta. Bit of a nod toward something I read in that sci fi book I mentioned some time back, though.

Edit: One of these stories http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?29172

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:21 

Why don't fridges have user set table thermostat controls, so I could just select (for example) 2 degrees C as my desired fridge temp and the fridge maintain that rather than me twiddle the dial thing to a number that represents nothing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

My old fridge had that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:23 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
Why don't fridges have user set table thermostat controls, so I could just select (for example) 2 degrees C as my desired fridge temp and the fridge maintain that rather than me twiddle the dial thing to a number that represents nothing?

:this:

I used to randomly twiddle the knob in my fridge and I never could tell if I was making it warmer or cooler.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:24 
Gogmagog

I find it weird that they make them with a light that is always on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:30 

Jem wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I used to randomly twiddle the knob in my fridge and I never could tell if I was making it warmer or cooler.

I usually go on the assumption that the higher the number, the cooler the fridge, which seems contradictory in terms of temperature but makes sense I. Terms of output.

What I don't like, however, is that I have to remember to change it if it is going to be a super hot day, or the weather rapidly drops,mor I have bought too many apples, etc.

I'd like to just pick a temperature and the fridge adjust to it, like an air conditioner, or heating thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:

Mine does. It's set to 4°C, and the freezer is set to -18°C.

You can take a look next week ;)

[edit] Apparently, it should be set to 2°C. Fuck that, it makes the drinks too cold.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:31 

Cras wrote:
My old fridge had that.

Ok, Daddy Warbucks ;) xx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:32 

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Mine does. It's set to "4".

OK... er, nope, don't know any other rich people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:33 

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Mine does. It's set to "4".

OK... er, nope, don't know any other rich people.

Uncle Pennybags!

(Looked him up... It's the monopoly man)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pfft. I'm not rich. I had a baby.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:34 

Grim... wrote:
Pfft. I'm not rich. I had a baby.

I'm having one of those soon. I expect to be destitute but happy.

Hey, do you think Uncle Pennybags is related to Mr Pringles?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
Jem wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I usually go on the assumption that the higher the number, the cooler the fridge, which seems contradictory in terms of temperature but makes sense I. Terms of output.

While you're right about the higher number giving you a colder fridge, the thing you're adjusting is still a thermostat, so you should be able to leave it alone. Your instruction book or a fridge thermometer would tell you for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:39 

It may be that ours is just too old to adjust effectively, in that case. It's built into our kitchen units (which is kind of cool in itself, as it just looks like one of the kitchen cupboards), but it definitely needs boosting up to a higher number on days like today.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 60  Next