Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits & Bobs 45
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 16:56 

Grim... wrote:
Were you planning on wasting the operator's time or were you just really unlucky each time you had to call them?
I knew it wasn't going to work the first time I tried it, having been told as much by a colleague in telecoms. Subsequent times were to demonstrate to someone it doesn't work. People don't believe you... Also I've only done this a few times in ten years. It's not like I make a habit of it.

The first stage of 999 connects you to a BT operator, by the way, and not an actual emergency service (someone I knew a while back had done this job) and they aren't short of people. I wouldn't propose doing it for fun but accidental dials to that number do happen quite often and aren't a life or death thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 17:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Are you sure you've seen it on a phone without a SIM? I've seen it on a phone with a SIM with no service on it, or a carrier-locked phone with a SIM from a different carrier, but never on a phone with no SIM at all. I thought the SIM was pretty integral to the whole 'making a call' process.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 17:13 

The reason people think that you can dial 999 on a phone without a sim is because you used to be able to.

Quote:
Some people think that 999 calls can be made from a phone without a SIM. In fact, because of the high number of hoax calls, the United Kingdom decided to block emergency calls from mobile phones without a SIM card.

But you no longer can since they stopped the calls going through.

From: http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/T ... vities/999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 17:15 

Jem wrote:
The last few weeks are particularly exhausting Mimi but it will be worth it :luv:

Thank you, Jem :luv:

Obviously I am broken as I have just eaten a Pot Noodle. It was amazing, but now I feel dirty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 20:06 

Cras wrote:
Are you sure you've seen it on a phone without a SIM? I've seen it on a phone with a SIM with no service on it, or a carrier-locked phone with a SIM from a different carrier, but never on a phone with no SIM at all. I thought the SIM was pretty integral to the whole 'making a call' process.

It's part of the GSM spec that phones can place emergency calls without a SIM. Not a widely followed part, mind...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 21:13 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
MaliA wrote:
What with GCSE results, the Ashley Maddison thing and the warm weather, I would be totally pulling on my tightest pair of Levi's and a red shirt and hitting the town tonight. If I weren't married. And stuff.

I am wearing my tightest levis, a red shirt, and am hitting the town tonight.

With Myp and Curiosity.

FML.

Knee deep in clunge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm back at work today after a week and a half off. It's rubbish.

Anyway, we have an apprentice here who wears a couple of hearing aids so his hearing isn't that great. He sat down at his desk this morning and within 5 minutes a video started blaring out from his corner.

He was watching a recap of Summerslam from last night but was oblivious to the fact his sound was on. It took a couple of minutes for his manager to notice. Very amusing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:08 
Gogmagog

Anniversary tomorrow. cotton (again, like last year??) so I ordered herself some pillowcases.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 15:30 

MaliA wrote:
Anniversary tomorrow. cotton (again, like last year??) so I ordered herself some pillowcases.

Wasn't last year your first anniversary? If so, it was supposed to be paper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:01 
Sleepyhead

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I think UK and U.S. do those two the opposite way round.

I did paper (signed menu from posh eatery after lovely meal) and then cotton (awesome sheets and pillowcases and that).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:15 

Russell got me an overlocker for our paper anniversary, which had nothing to do with paper but was the most awesome an amazing thing ever because he knew that I'd ummed and aahed over it but wanted one so very very much, but then baby came along and I thought 'better not', and talked myself out if it. But it's just the most amazing thing, not because it's awesome (which it is) but because he listened to me rather than a random list of materials that gifts should be made from.

Buy something your wives will love :luv:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:16 

Or make something.

Or make an amazing memory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:55 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Wikipedia last year said cotton so I went with that

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:05 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
Russell got me an overlocker for our paper anniversary, which had nothing to do with paper but was the most awesome an amazing thing ever because he knew that I'd ummed and aahed over it but wanted one so very very much, but then baby came along and I thought 'better not', and talked myself out if it. But it's just the most amazing thing, not because it's awesome (which it is) but because he listened to me rather than a random list of materials that gifts should be made from.

Awwwwww :luv:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:06 

Curiosity wrote:
Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I did paper (signed menu from posh eatery after lovely meal) and then cotton (awesome sheets and pillowcases and that).

U.S and UK lists I've seen usually give those the same way around (paper, then cotton) and Wikipedia has both listed that way (at present, it could have said different last year, of course), but I'm pretty sure that the traditional UK order has had paper first for many, many decades at least.

Anyway, they'll be beautiful bed linens no doubt, so have a wonderful anniversary and look after Wendy, because she's beautiful and lovely. And so patient.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:07 

Jem wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Awwwwww :luv:

I'm not even hormone monster today :) :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:09 
sneering elitist

I am and I don't even have pregnancy as an excuse :S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:11 
Sleepyhead

Mimi wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

U.S and UK lists I've seen usually give those the same way around (paper, then cotton) and Wikipedia has both listed that way (at present, it could have said different last year, of course), but I'm pretty sure that the traditional UK order has had paper first for many, many decades at least.

Anyway, they'll be beautiful bed linens no doubt, so have a wonderful anniversary and look after Wendy, because she's beautiful and lovely. And so patient.

So, so, so patient!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:56 

Curiosity wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

So, so, so patient!

Just so... incredibly... patient.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 18:05 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:

Aw........some. I thought it was a new microphone for her karaoke machine and was worried when I discovered that it wasn't and just made a terrible buzzing noise, but she still seems pleased with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 21:11 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Half day today because The Child is changing nurseries next month so needs to "settle in" for an hour today. New place is around two corners from home so that makes life easier. And slightly cheaper. But not Triumph Scrambler cheaper, as I have decided to get a new boiler installed in the loft. What a life I now lead. I even we t to bed at 9pm last night because I was seemingle knackered. I still am.

Jolly good, too. Current nursery just got SnapOfsted'd and dropped from 'good' to 'inadequate'. The new one is right hippyish and homely so MrsA loves it and has a J reg M5 parked outside. Funny coves in Saltaire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:12 
Excellent Member

Holy shit. I was in the process of buying tickets for Doug Stanhope at the local O2 when I got to the 'delivery' section of the order process. To get the tickets posted out to me was an extra £2.70 on top of the face value + booking fee but to get them emailed for me to print out myself was £2.50! Two fucking fifty to send me an email! Robbing bastards! It's going to end up saving me money as I'll go to a ticket shop and buy them over the counter but I'm stunned that any company would charge you that amount for the privilege of using your own printer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've experienced this before too and I can't for the life of me, figure out how they justify the cost?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:18 

I heard someone from a ticket company discussing this on the radio the other day. Their justification was that the normal tickets don't need to be verified on entry. For the emailed and printed off ones they need additional systems and sometimes additional staff at the venue. I'm sure there's an element of truth there even though they probably make sure that they more than cover the additional costs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:37 
Decapodian

markg wrote:
I heard someone from a ticket company discussing this on the radio the other day. Their justification was that the normal tickets don't need to be verified on entry. For the emailed and printed off ones they need additional systems and sometimes additional staff at the venue. I'm sure there's an element of truth there even though they probably make sure that they more than cover the additional costs.

Pretty much every venue I've been to recently either scans all tickets - home printed or "real" - or on the odd occasion doesn't scan any of them so you could have made multiple copies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:44 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Curiosity got better than this the other day - we went to see Richard Herring at the Leicester Square theatre - I'd booked my tickets months ago but he made a last minute decision to come too. Booking at 3pm, for a half sold 7pm show would have carried a £2.50 booking charge that wasn't applied when he ultimately bought tickets on the door (show was still half full when it opened).

For my print at home tickets, the 'checking' involved looking to see if I had a piece of paper in my hand, and that being deemed sufficient.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:49 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:

Aside from all the other reasons this is total nonsense, how is this extra money supposed to be paying for that? Ticket agencies don't supply the staff on the night, but this extra money is only going to the agency as part of their fee. Unless I'm massively missing something here this argument doesn't make a lick of sense?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:01 

Well providing the facility to scan the tickets won't have been free, the fact that they now use them to scan all tickets is neither here nor there, nor is the fact that they don't bother at a half-empty gig.

Of course the main reason they charge so much for it is pretty obvious. I bet it costs them about 30p to post out each printed ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:02 

Mimi wrote:

Awesome. In previous years I've made the mistake of buying what *I* thought Mrs C would like (often at much greater cost than the thing(s) she'd previously hinted at, and even lobbied the Teen Angels to tell me also), and that was a stupid, arrogant mistake on my part.

There's an often tricky balance to be struck between maintaining some element of surprise and romance vs. actually buying stuff that the lady in your life really wants, but it's totally the right thing to do.

This year Mrs C and I have been together for 20 years, so we're renewing our wedding vows in Sept! (Any excuse for a good bash :D )

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:07 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

We are going to go see Sarah Millican on her current tour but despite being 'near' to a large city she is not playing there because the only venues are owned by The Ambassador Theater Group and she is boycotting them (so we've booked tickets to go see her slightly further away)

FYI article is 2 years old and their response was they were 'reviewing' their charges (but it looks like the review was 'yup we can get away with still charging these so lets stick with it')

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 35800.html

Quote:

The comedian Sarah Millican is refusing to perform at venues operated by Britain's largest theatre operator, the Ambassador Theatre Group (ATG), because of its high booking fees.

Millican, whose debut DVD became the bestselling of any female comedian in Britain, is due to tour in September next year, but said she had "avoided" the venues owned and run by ATG. The company – which runs the Liverpool Empire, the Edinburgh Playhouse and many others – adds up to £4.90 to the face value of each ticket bought online or over the telephone, with an added transaction fee that can be as high as £4.

Writing on her website, Millican said: "I don't agree with the extra charges ATG put on top of the face value ticket price to you the customer and a number of other restrictions they have in place, so that's why I've avoided their venues this time round."

Helen Enright, chief financial officer and commercial officer for ATG, said it was "concerning" that an artist would take such a step. She told The Stage: "We are always reviewing our charges to make sure they're fair and we are in the process of revisiting all of that."

A similar story for another comedian

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/0000 ... king_fees/

Quote:
"Now usually I pop on here to say 'hey there's tickets left for such and such a gig, buy them'. But I just popped on the Oxford New Theatre website where I am performing next Monday and Tuesday and noticed that ATG (the company that owns it) are charging a whopping £9 booking fee on top of my ticket price of £22.50 (a price I already took £2.50 off from the last tour's £25 because of rip off booking fees).

Quote:
I mean, you do it all your fucking self! That's what gets me, you log on, you choose your seats, you even print the bastard out at home! What are they charging for?!!? How are they getting nearly half of what I get when I'm the one who spent a year writing and perfecting it, driving to the gig, paying travel, accommodation, tour manager, promoters, agents, advertising, not getting to put my kids to bed 6 nights a week for 10 months! I do my best to never rip anyone off but this makes my blood boil. I'm kicking myself for not noticing it sooner! Argh!"

Quote:
"The maddest thing about ATG is they also own the venue! So not only do they take £9 off you but they take 20% off me as well. So they actually make £13.50 off both me and you! And for what exactly?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:22 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Well providing the facility to scan the tickets won't have been free, the fact that they now use them to scan all tickets is neither here nor there, nor is the fact that they don't bother at a half-empty gig.

But the facility to scan the tickets will have been borne by either the venue or the promoter. The ticket agency is just there to sell tickets so surely they can't justify adding anything to their ticket price regardless of how much it's cost to handle at the point of entry? This is why I'm wondering if I'm missing some quirk of how the whle business works because I don't understand how one person in a chain of events can justify charging more money for something that happens at a completely different point and doesn't cost them a penny.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:25 

I don't know how it works either, I guess it's not inconceivable that as part of their contract that someone like ticketmaster might have supplied venues with hardware and software to support their move to these type of tickets. In fact I can't see how else they would have been able to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:29 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
I don't know how it works either, I guess it's not inconceivable that as part of their contract that someone like ticketmaster might have supplied venues with hardware and software to support their move to these type of tickets. In fact I can't see how else they would have been able to do it.

Tickets for any given event are sold by multiple ticket agencies at the same time so that scenario doesn't make sense. It's more likely that it's the promoter handling it because they're the central entity in charge of printing and issuing tickets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 

Huh? Where ticketmaster is involved they seem to handle all the transactions and print the tickets to the extent that even when I've bought tickets directly from the venue they still say ticketmaster on them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:40 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Huh? Where ticketmaster is involved they seem to handle all the transactions and print the tickets to the extent that even when I've bought tickets directly from the venue they still say ticketmaster on them.

For the gig in question I can buy tickets online from Ticketweb or physically from Tickets Scotland; these are completely separate and competing agencies. It's possible that in some cases a company like Ticketmaster is given a monopoly on the tickets but in most cases you can buy them from multiple sources.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:15 
Bad Girl

A friend just sent me a link to this music video about Nottingham. I shall leave it here without further comment.

Unless you want some comment, in which case it would be that this is a bag-o-shit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:26 
UltraMod

Ah, the Sleaford Mods! Saw them once.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:12 
Excellent Member

My mate loves the Sleaford Mods and is dragging me to see them at some point soon. I wasn't massively impressed with the few of their tunes I checked out on YouTube although, on his recommendation, their recent Glasto set was a bit more compelling. Which is weird given that that non-vocalist guy hits a single button on a laptop at the start of each song and then literally does not a single thing for the entire rest of each track. On the few occasions the vocalist does any kind of singing he's actually got a good voice but his presudo-rapping is a bit too one note and stream-of-consciousness for my tastes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:23 
Awesome
Yes

I grew up 4 miles away from Sleaford. Here endeth my useful comment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:32 

Mr Russell wrote:
I grew up 4 miles away from Sleaford. Here endeth my useful comment.

And you've been to Nottinghsm.

Coincidence?!?!?!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:34 
Awesome
Yes

Conspiracy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:24 
Gogmagog

Good deed of the day done by quarter past seven but I called Australia but DID NOT MENTION THE CRICKET. Anyway I have a day off. Woop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:29 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Awwww no more hardcore politics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:40 
UltraMod

KovacsC wrote:

I just unblocked him to read it. Jesus H Christ.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

He really is quite...something. I genuinely don't remember him being particularly mad or annoying in the past, I wonder what prompted the sudden massive deluge of batshittery all over the forum?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:50 

Future Warrior wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

?

All his posts have been deleted, haven't they?

(Or replaced with '..............'). What are you reading?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:05 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

?

Just the whole situation and the PM posted at the end. You really have to be an utter berk for this set of lackadaisical mods to be spurred into action.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hey! Less of the lacka... Actually, yeah. You're right.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:24 
Gogmagog

Quote:
The reality is that waiting for a sled to push a wave towards you has absolutely no soul whatsoever.

Surfing in Snowdonia

I can see his point, I think the majority of the time I enjoyed surfing the most was sitting out back with my mates around me and the pre season sun shining and watching a set roll through and not taking any waves, just soaking up the vibes from whoever was out there on a cool day before it get taken over and then seeing the same people in the crowded summer time out back and giving a nod because you're local now and skimming over the wreck in Holywell Bay is a hting of beauty and it's New Year's Eve and freezing but it is the same people out there, the same worn Golfs in the unmanned car park, the same notes on the windscreens saying "we're staying for a pint" and that's probably how it should be. Not a sled in the mountains in a pay to play.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:31 
Unpossible!

Future Warrior wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

?

Just the whole situation and the PM posted at the end. You really have to be an utter berk for this set of lackadaisical mods to be spurred into action.

I posted a thread after midnight the other day asking for help with batch converting some videos. He called me a pirate, I was too tired to play his game. He called me a miserable humorless bastard. I asked for the thread to be deleted. Because I'm a humorless, miserable bastard. I then asked the mods to ban him ask him to stop being a prick. I'm not sorry.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 60  Next