Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 13:26 
Gogmagog

Heh. 10 things why BAFTAS were wrong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 13:28 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
I have to say I'm surprised at all the negative feedback in here. I definitely think the dialogue options are thin, but that aside I loved this for every minute. Quests, locations, fighting, I thought it was brilliantly done. I love the weapons and armour modding, and think it's so much better done than it was in New Vegas.

The settlement building sure, it's pretty pointless other than the couple of points where it directly affects the main quest line. I found it a load of fun to do though.

I think I wanted to love it more than 3. I tried hard. But I can't. It's like the Phil Neville of games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 13:50 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:

Even though I couldn't get into it I must admit Witcher 3 was incredible. Not only to look at but to play too. I just don't dig the theme but it was executed brilliantly.

MaliA wrote:
I think I wanted to love it more than 3. I tried hard. But I can't. It's like the Phil Neville of games.

I think the first and most disappointing thing with FO4 for me was the size. Fallout 3 was made in 2008 and the map was the size it was. I was expecting Fallout 4 to be absolutely fucking monstrous given how many years it had taken to make. I was so disappointed when I started playing and realised that not only was the map no bigger than Fallout 3 but it was also filled with irradiated wasteland with absolutely fucking nothing in it.

Ugh. Honestly now that I have opened the "Tap of moan" I could go on all day. Not only does it not have a soul but it also has hardly any personality either. It's insipid. I had heard rumours they were bringing back Three Dogg and I honestly, truly thought that the DJ on FO4 was actually a fucking joke and at some point he would fuck off and Three Dogg or some one with a bit of personality would come back. But no, just some whiny fucking cunt with a voice reminiscent of a teenager with a voice that hasn't broken yet.

And then the companions. Not only were most of them boring twats you had to stay with them long enough to actually get their story out of them. Only it takes so long that it isn't really worth it.

Had this game released just after New Vegas? I would have fucking loved it. It would have looked better, sounded better and been far more interesting to me. Now? it just looks like a game from 2010 that's only just been released.

Edit. Oh yeah, the music. They actually used some of the same songs from Fallout 3. What the actual fuck?

Oh and the buildings are fucking crap too. They contain no stories and most of them all look exactly the same inside. I loved how I could wander into a building in Fallout 3 and get lost and be in there for hours reading scripts and listening to holotapes and picking up hidden quests.

:boots:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

JohnCoffey wrote:
truly thought that the DJ on FO4 was actually a fucking joke and at some point he would fuck off and Three Dogg or some one with a bit of personality would come back. But no, just some whiny fucking cunt with a voice reminiscent of a teenager with a voice that hasn't broken yet.

I'm going to assume you bypassed the quest chain where you help the DJ to 'man up' then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:30 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
truly thought that the DJ on FO4 was actually a fucking joke and at some point he would fuck off and Three Dogg or some one with a bit of personality would come back. But no, just some whiny fucking cunt with a voice reminiscent of a teenager with a voice that hasn't broken yet.

I'm going to assume you bypassed the quest chain where you help the DJ to 'man up' then.

No I didn't but it didn't make him any less annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I found him much better than ThreeDog. Horses for courses, I guess. Agree with you on the reuse of music, needed loads more new tunes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:36 

The music in the new Fallout games is always weird to me. FO3 established that it's been 200 years since the bombs fell. Look how far music came in 200 years between the 1700s and 1900s, do they really expect us to believe that post-war society 200 years after the apocalypse still listens to 1950s music and hasn't created any original content?

:P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

They haven't created any new anything, outside of small hi-tech enclaves. That's kind of the point of the whole series, man! There's no recording studios, no way of spreading music other than on donkeyback outside of short-range radio, no schools with music lessons...

Beethoven wouldn't have been banging out corking tunes if he had to use his piano for firewood.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:53 
Gogmagog

You know Bach invented jazz, yeah?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 16:24 

Cras wrote:
They haven't created any new anything, outside of small hi-tech enclaves. That's kind of the point of the whole series, man!

For FO1 and FO2 sure, they were still close enough to 2077 that it worked thematically.

Suspension of disbelief gets harder the further in to the future you get, though.

Quote:
Beethoven wouldn't have been banging out corking tunes if he had to use his piano for firewood.

Doesn't have to be Beethoven level, just some band somewhere that plays new original tunes on some of the scrap lying around would do wonders for world building ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 16:51 
Rude Belittler

To be fair, they have created new songs for this one....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 16:09 
Esoteric

Well I decided to try this DLC. Firstly, it's fucking hard. Like seriously hard and my weapons seem to do no damage at all to the bigger robots who just seem to steam into me and blow fucking steam at me. Very annoying !

Any way I am a good bit through it now and so far it's been as I expected, pretty pone. (pone as in pony as in pony and trap). It wants me to build a robot but it hasn't explained how in any shape or form as usual with the construction in this game.

I went to Diamond City to hopefully (store was closed so I saved the game and will wait when I play it next for day break) buy some mini nukes as I've been going through them like shite through a goose since I started the DLC (and to get some Stimpaks, I've used about 30 on this DLC so far !) and ended up picking up another quest that I wasn't aware of. It's something to do with

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
some guy whose wife can't keep her knickers pulled up so you have to go on a quest with a bar owner etc.

And I enjoyed that far more than this DLC so far. So there is a glimmer of hope yet even though this game physically sucks. It wants to Vsync to half of my monitor refresh rate so for spending £830 on two GPUs I either play the game at 35 FPS (wow) or disable Vsync and enable AMD frame limiting and play it at 90 FPS with tearing.

Grrrrreat. No really, best game evarr.

I am still waiting for one of the DLC that did actually look pretty amazing. I can't remember which one it was but yeah, looked the bizz.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 16:15 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Well I decided to try this DLC. Firstly, it's fucking hard. Like seriously hard and my weapons seem to do no damage at all to the bigger robots who just seem to steam into me and blow fucking steam at me. Very annoying!

So your unmodded weapons aren't working out after all then? :p Seriously: mod your weapons. I blew through the DLC with no more trouble than I had with the rest of the game and am currently sitting on a stockpile of about 300 stimpacks because I never use them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 16:19 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
It wants me to build a robot but it hasn't explained how in any shape or form as usual with the construction in this game.

In the 'special' section of the workbench you'll now have the ability to add a robot workbench to any settlement. Once you've built that just click on it and you can select to either mod any existing robot companion you've got or build a new one from scratch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:45 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Well I decided to try this DLC. Firstly, it's fucking hard. Like seriously hard and my weapons seem to do no damage at all to the bigger robots who just seem to steam into me and blow fucking steam at me. Very annoying!

So your unmodded weapons aren't working out after all then? :p Seriously: mod your weapons. I blew through the DLC with no more trouble than I had with the rest of the game and am currently sitting on a stockpile of about 300 stimpacks because I never use them.

It always seems to want shit I don't have. I tag it for search but you've got to find it first. By which time I've become completely side tracked and forget.

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
It wants me to build a robot but it hasn't explained how in any shape or form as usual with the construction in this game.

In the 'special' section of the workbench you'll now have the ability to add a robot workbench to any settlement. Once you've built that just click on it and you can select to either mod any existing robot companion you've got or build a new one from scratch.

Oh I figured that bit out
'cause Robobrain has a body now
but now I don't have the parts for the next one, meaning I've got to spend hours trying to find things that I don't know about. IE - I don't say "Oh I need X and Y parts so I will just look for a camera" I say "Fuck sake it wants me to get parts and I don't even know what to look for". And that's what has put me off of the modding. In FONV the mods were either found or bought complete, then all I had to do was find the gun for them or what not and use them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 
Excellent Member

If you tag the stuff you need for search then it'll flag up any items that contain the stuff you're looking for so you don't need to actually know in advance; wiping your cursor over stuff and looking out for the magnifying glass icon popping up isn't much of a burden. If you're really that bothered about knowing what to check in advance though then this page tells you what compound items contain each 'trivial' junk component:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_junk_items

Really though the answer is to actually use the modding functionality for your weapons and armour (if you're not modding armour that's probably another reason you're getting murdered; please tell me you've at least added ballistic weave to your jumpsuit or whatever under the armour?). You very quickly get a sense of which items contain the stuff you're looking for once you've spent some time actually giving a shit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:07 
Esoteric

No I'm not wearing any armour because the power armour needs cells. I've got loads, but I just don't bother using it because of the stupid addition of cells. It worked in Fallout 3, so I don't see any reason why they had to fucking change it so drastically that it's not worth bothering with.

I've not really needed it either really. Mostly because I had Danse by my side until I couldn't and now Strong. So for the most part they take care of enemies whilst I can do the finer things in life like digging through boxes and shit. Sadly Ada is fucking useless so I have to do all of the killing now, something which I clearly hadn't planned for.

TBH Bamba I really don't want to have to search for shit as I really don't like the modding and building in this game. So much so that I have only used it when I absolutely had to.

Sadly some one at Bethesda didn't get the "if it ain't broke" memo and instead decided to change absolutely everything. Kinda like Mephisto adds asses to monkeys in South Park.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:14 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
No I'm not wearing any armour because the power armour needs cells.

I didn't say power armour, I just said armour. You know you can mod all the non-power clothing in the game as well right? Seriously, at least look into the ballistic weave I mentioned.

Or, y'know, don't; and keep moaning about how hard the combat is and how many stimpacks you're using. Whatever works for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:22 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
No I'm not wearing any armour because the power armour needs cells.

I didn't say power armour, I just said armour. You know you can mod all the non-power clothing in the game as well right? Seriously, at least look into the ballistic weave I mentioned.

Or, y'know, don't; and keep moaning about how hard the combat is and how many stimpacks you're using. Whatever works for you.

I didn't know that no. Maybe the manual... Oh wait.

My selection of weapons work really well on absolutely everything but these new robots, dude. I've got a modded 50 cal gun with sights that can take out pretty much anything, as well as a special shotgun etc etc. Yet on these fucking robots I may as well be chewing up tissues and spitting them at them through a straw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Only some of the clothes, sadly. However that some includes Piper's leather overcoat, so that made me happy.

I very much prefer the look of a character with old-school ballistic firearms and no real armour, so being able to mod weapons and clothes is super awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:34 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
I didn't know that no. Maybe the manual... Oh wait.

There's an entire bench specifically for the purpose, that was a bit of a giveaway when I started out.

JohnCoffey wrote:
My selection of weapons work really well on absolutely everything but these new robots, dude. I've got a modded 50 cal gun with sights that can take out pretty much anything, as well as a special shotgun etc etc. Yet on these fucking robots I may as well be chewing up tissues and spitting them at them through a straw.

You've got a problem and I'm suggesting things that will help with that. Either check it out or don't; telling me why you think your problem shouldn't be a problem probably won't do much for you though. :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:40 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
Only some of the clothes, sadly. However that some includes Piper's leather overcoat, so that made me happy.

I very much prefer the look of a character with old-school ballistic firearms and no real armour, so being able to mod weapons and clothes is super awesome.

I've been running about dressed as Grognak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:49 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:

I've been running about dressed as Grognak

Yeah I used that costume for ages :D Then I found a radiation suit, which takes in very little radiation. I don't like how your health reduces with rads in this game either.

Might look into modding the rad suit though. Would be nice if it could hold off some damage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 16:08 
Excellent Member

Radiation isn't really a problem; you end up with fucktons of Rad-X and Radaway and there are locations you can just fast travel to and clear away all your rads for free. Wearing the hazmat suit all the time will get your arse handed to you though because it offers close to no armor and can't be ballistic weaved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Shot a wandering low-level raider in the head from the top of a building tonight, and almost didn't bother looting her body because it was a bit of a pain to get to.

I'm glad I did, because she had a "Never ending 10mm pistol", which doesn't run out of bullets.

Cor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:42 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Shot a wandering low-level raider in the head from the top of a building tonight, and almost didn't bother looting her body because it was a bit of a pain to get to.

I'm glad I did, because she had a "Never ending 10mm pistol", which doesn't run out of bullets.

Cor.

Yeah, no, that's what I thought when I found my never ending shotgun. Turns out it just means you never need to reload, but it still uses up you're ammo as normal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 14:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Maaaaaaan!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 21:05 
INFINITE POWAH

I WISH I had know about ballistic weave before now. I'd have chucked more levels into the armourer perk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 21:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cras wrote:
I prefer my Fallout kinda old school. Laser weapons and power armour are for those who have no faith in a good worn duster and a steady eye. I was pleased that there's a good range of gunpowder weapons with decent punch, and the ability to mod them is great. As the difficulty ramps up though and the enemies get tougher, I started to despair of being able to look cool and still soak up a decent amount of damage on the armour side of things :(

However!

A few quests into the railroad faction and I unlock the wonder that is ballistic weave and clothing modding. I'm now rocking Piper's old red leather trenchcoat modded with ballistic weave 5, for 110/115 armour. I'm really very pleased.

If only someone had mentioned it ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 21:17 
INFINITE POWAH

I haven't touched a single spoilered thingy on this thread because I haven't finished the bloody game.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:54 
Excellent Member

Full trailer for the Far Harbour DLC that comes out on the 19th of this month. It doesn't really give too much away, though it's got a Lovecraft vibe going on.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:28 
Esoteric

That one actually looks really good :)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 0:38 
Esoteric

So today I actually loaded up Fallout 4. I didn't realise Far Harbor was released already but it had installed itself.

It's very good. Kinda like a cross between a couple of the Fallout 3 DLC so far. Much better than the robot crap though.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 
Esoteric

And then I got to the part which mimics Portal. I did three of them before getting incredibly bored and relying on Youtube to get the last two done just to get out with it completed.

Another fail for Bethesda. Why they must keep trying to make it different to FO3 in every way possible remains a mystery. Other than that the DLC is good... Probably one of the best I've ever played but man alive that block business is fucking yawnsome.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 23:00 
Esoteric

Right it all seems to have gone really quiet. Shame, as the latest DLC was very good and I echo reviewers and agree that the whole game should have been more like it.

Rumours are now (after some one hacked the game files) that the next DLC is called "Nuka World" and should be a new map like Far Harbor was. It could be theme park based, around Nuka Cola. This sounds like lots of fun.

In other news I finished the robot DLC and am now using The Mechanists armor. It's really allowed me to take a few smacks to the chin. I've probably put in around 20 hours this week and I am enjoying it a lot more than I was, which is cool. Also got me one of these.

Shiny tat !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:23 

After a long break ( I stopped before the first DLC dropped) I've gone back to this. In the last few days of play I've:

1) turned Piper gay (my Sole Survivor is a woman)
2) went from level 14 to 22
3) agonised over every Perk choice
4) unlocked the ballistic weave, which is amazingly good
5) didn't even do one main quest line mission (my next task is to find Nick Valentine)
6) got my settlements humming along finding me scrap and growing stuff to make adhesive, because there's never enough adhesive
7) crafted loads of stuff - I have GunNut 2, Armourer 2, and Science 1

Piper's dialogue and voice acting is great, she's a great character. I immediately dropped her for Deacon because I had some sneaky missions to do (Covenant) but feel vaguely guilty whenever I see her in Sanctuary now, so that's some pretty decent writing there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:46 
Esoteric

I had no choice but to drop Danse. He was awesome too, but if I dare side with him now at all the BOS attack me. Harumph.

Far Harbor was brilliant and really got me back into the game. Hoping Nuka World is good also, given apparently it's the last.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
After a long break ( I stopped before the first DLC dropped) I've gone back to this. In the last few days of play I've:

1) turned Piper gay (my Sole Survivor is a woman)
2) went from level 14 to 22
3) agonised over every Perk choice
4) unlocked the ballistic weave, which is amazingly good
5) didn't even do one main quest line mission (my next task is to find Nick Valentine)
6) got my settlements humming along finding me scrap and growing stuff to make adhesive, because there's never enough adhesive
7) crafted loads of stuff - I have GunNut 2, Armourer 2, and Science 1

Piper's dialogue and voice acting is great, she's a great character. I immediately dropped her for Deacon because I had some sneaky missions to do (Covenant) but feel vaguely guilty whenever I see her in Sanctuary now, so that's some pretty decent writing there.

Piper is indeed great. I think I mentioned a while back that I was so pleased with the ballistic weave. I like the gunpowder weapons and trenchcoats much more than laser weapons and armour, so being able to build a jacket that's as good as any armour in the game actually made that approach viable.

I'm doing a second runthrough now so I can do all the DLC. I'm up to L22 or so, and I've done the Mechanist and Vault DLC which are both worthwhile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:59 

Cras wrote:
Piper is indeed great. I think I mentioned a while back that I was so pleased with the ballistic weave.

I think you were the reason I knew it existed. It's quite the game changer, it more than doubled my armour levels. I also discovered I can ballistic weave the red sequin cocktail dress I wear for tough negotiations so obviously that's happening.

Gun-wise, I'm favouring sniper rifles and shotguns, boosted by the Rifleman perk. Although I just splurged on some mods for a named laser rifle I found to make it more snipery.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:03 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I also discovered I can ballistic weave the red sequin cocktail dress I wear for tough negotiations

So that's how you got to work for Evil Google.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hmm, I really dislike sniper rifles. A sniper scope and you get the wavy wavy hold-your-breath zoom whereas with a reflex scope over the same range your accuracy is pretty insane. Unless you're going for extreme range headshots I'm happiest with my hunting rifle rechambered for .50cal.

And a .44 revolver for close-in work, obv. Like backing away in circles around something from an angry deathclaw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:11 

Cras wrote:
Hmm, I really dislike sniper rifles. A sniper scope and you get the wavy wavy hold-your-breath zoom whereas with a reflex scope over the same range your accuracy is pretty insane. Unless you're going for extreme range headshots I'm happiest with my hunting rifle rechambered for .50cal.

And a .44 revolver for close-in work, obv. Like backing away in circles around something from an angry deathclaw.

Again, I like to imagine you are writing from real-life experiences, Craster. You really are a complex fella :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Always wait for the barrel to cool before sticking a revolver back in your waistline.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:17 

Cras wrote:
I use VATS extensively.

Quote:
I haven't the perk points for Gunslinger on top of Rifleman. Hence shotguns. But also: shotguns are awesome, fool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I have very low agility so rarely get to take out more than 1/3 of my opponents with VATS.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:35 

Agility 6 (I'm working on it), plus Action Girl level 1 and a couple of modded armour pieces for more rapid refill. I can take two sniper rifle shots in VATS and only have to duck into cover for a few seconds to refill my AP bar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 13:05 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:

MaliA wrote:
I hammer stuff in the face.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've gone back to this to do all the DLC. The Vault one is a bit dull, although it does give you a massive settlement building area. The contraptions workshop DLC however has fully awakened my inner nerd. Massive automated factory networks with conveyor belts, feed hoppers, and ingredient sorters? Oh yes please. I already have a fully working ammo construction line and it's loads of fun and super-useful.

Also you can put settlers in stocks, and throw vegetables at them using a baseball pitching machine, which is nice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Factorio.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 14:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm not sold on it. Also sod PC gaming.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next