Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:38 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
20 hours in and I'm nowhere near enjoying this as much as Fallout 3. It all seems a bit watered down. Which I feel bad about saying in a way.

I think it's a combination of things tbh Mal. I think the location doesn't really help any given Washington was so incredible. There are also massive voids on the map which they have craftily filled with radiation (just to pad it out) and it's pretty much the same thing as usual, only not quite as engaging or charming.

I think what's happened is they began work on it and then started adding things in as they went. So it's basically quite an old game and feels like quite an old game yet it's been released now. The new ideas to me (like building and so on) really add nothing to Fallout 3 nor make it better than Fallout 3 in any way. So really all that leaves is a game that feels like a really big DLC for Fallout 3 only with slightly better graphics. Fallout 3.5 as some have been calling it.

That being said I still quite enjoyed it when I was playing it and should be getting back into it again soon, though I fear I may not feel drawn into it. I do want to go back and side with The Institute at some point but really question whether I will ever bother. I dunno... :shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:50 

I'm at level 55 Can't be too far from the end but just haven't been able to get back into it after a break of a few weeks. It does seem to lack something after FO3, or maybe it's just as good but once was enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 13:04 
Esoteric

markg wrote:
I'm at level 55 Can't be too far from the end but just haven't been able to get back into it after a break of a few weeks. It does seem to lack something after FO3, or maybe it's just as good but once was enough.

Yeah I think tbh after exhausting myself on Fallout 3 and New Vegas I was about done with the game. I played Fallout 3 relentlessly (I was obsessed with it) and must have played it through about ten times. However, once I got to New Vegas I only played it through twice.

I think for Fallout 4 to have really drawn me in like that it needed to be very different with lots of new stuff and so on. And whilst different locations could be considered new stuff there just really isn't anything more that interests me.

I think the highlight of 4 for me was -

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Finding a institution in the middle of nowhere and not being able to get in there at first. That held some magic for me as my curiosity was going mad.

But most of the locations contain pretty much nothing. There don't seem to be many like, "sub quests" like Fallout 3 had.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 15:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have this on my Xbox one but it also came with Fallout 3. Should I be playing that instead?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 16:09 
Esoteric

TheVision wrote:
I have this on my Xbox one but it also came with Fallout 3. Should I be playing that instead?

If you have never played any then yes. If you can handle the dated graphics it still remains one of the best games of all time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 17:33 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Dated graphics are not a problem in my world, I can promise you that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 22:52 
Esoteric

TheVision wrote:
Dated graphics are not a problem in my world, I can promise you that.

So let me get this straight, you've never played Fallout 3 at all?

If that is so then I envy you, you're in for a treat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:52 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:

I'm dragging my heels through it too. It's just not enough of a leap from FO3 for me, I do enjoy it when I'm playing but it can feel like a chore at times.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:14 
Hibernating Druid

Had another couple of hours on it last night and I think I'm done.

Just can't be arsed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:15 

I'm going to finish it. I've come too far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:45 
Hibernating Druid

I'll have to try and finish it before Dark Souls 3 drops or I'll never do it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:49 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
I'll have to try and finish it before Dark Souls 3 drops or I'll never do it.

I need to finish it before The Supremely Excellent and Superb No Man's Sky which I tried to order again falls through the letterbox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:54 
Hibernating Druid

It's a shame they spent time on all the settlement bollocks and not on creating new kinds of enemies/situations/locations. Feels like I'm playing the same game again but with the smallest smattering of new faces to shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:54 

Dirty Rally just popped through the letterbox so I probably won't be finishing it any time soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:00 
Hibernating Druid

Can you build supply chains for fuel and tyres? Make sure your pit crew plant plenty of spark plugs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 17:41 
Hello pretty, pretty

2nd DLC announced: Wasteland Workshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjASHR7 ... verified=1

*screaming*

This is the DLC I wanted.

Twitch | Twitter | Steam | PSN | Switch: 4691-7706-7792

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 18:03 
Excellent Member

The Great Tyrant wrote:
2nd DLC announced: Wasteland Workshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjASHR7 ... verified=1

*screaming*

This is the DLC I wanted.

They actually announced that a while back. All three of the first set of DLC packs was announced at the same time back in February:

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fa ... 6/02/16/77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 15:08 
Hello pretty, pretty

But... but... it has a video now.

Twitch | Twitter | Steam | PSN | Switch: 4691-7706-7792

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 22:48 

I got Fallout 4 at the end of November last year - I just clicked on it in Steam and it tells me I haven't played it since January, and even then if I remember right that was just to try out a wee mod quickly. 21 hours in it, and compared to the hours I've put into FO3, FO:NV, TES:IV and TES:V (100+ each across PC and Console.) I just can't get into it. I think I've added another 20 hours to Skyrim since I got it, even. Sure, it's an alright game, but then previous Fallout games weren't just 'alright' - I loved them! I don't know what exactly it was Bethesda done wrong(wrong for me, anyway), but I really can't see myself putting much more (if any) time towards it in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:05 
Hibernating Druid

Had another hour or so last night. Stumbled across Covenant (not sure how I missed it with all my travels). Triggered a side quest, caused a glitch, now my companion is trying to kill me.

That's it. Game over. CBA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:32 
Hibernating Druid

Great progress last night. I took the disc out and replaced it with MGS The Phantom Pain, instantly more entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:34 

I can't really slag it off too much, I mean I've played it until level 55 and enjoyed my time with it. No idea how many hours that took but more than a few and definitely more than most games keep me engaged for. I do still want to finish it at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:36 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
Great progress last night. I took the disc out and replaced it with MGS The Phantom Pain, instantly more entertaining.

I hate to say it, but, yes.

I think it's lacking locations with stuff to do. And weapon middling is a bit rubbish. As is building houses. And the dialogue wheel isn't very good. And although you see the spark of the old humour every now and again, it just isn't there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:41 

I still got the same feeling of exploring with it, it's an open world filled with little stories and things for you to find. I like that. I think my malaise is mostly down to the fact that I've pretty much been everywhere. It's why I never really took to the DLC in FO3, the sense of discovery wasn't the same.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:48 

I've played about 4-5 hours of FO4 and just can't face going back to it. It's so "soul less" after New Vegas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:38 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I hate to say it, but, yes.

I think it's lacking locations with stuff to do. And weapon middling is a bit rubbish. As is building houses. And the dialogue wheel isn't very good. And although you see the spark of the old humour every now and again, it just isn't there.

I really don't know if it was pure luck or not but I never had to mod a weapon. The game always seemed to hand me a decent enough gun and companion to make sure that I could protect myself without even going into any weapon mods (oh OK I admit I added a sniper scope to a 50 cal rifle once). It was the same pretty much with building stuff. I only built what I absolutely had to. And this is a cardinal sin to commit in games - putting stuff in there that it doesn't need that are not essential. I know it could be said that building is essential because you have to do it to progress through the game properly, but not when it's a complete chore and poorly documented as it is in the game (I think I went to Youtube three times to find out something because I was stuck).

In New Vegas I modded the shit out of every weapon I had. I didn't make ammo but then I never needed to. The mods were good though, and I found it a nice addition.

What I'm not quite sure of though is if the reason I don't really like Fallout 4 is simply down to the reason I'm all "Fallouted out" or whether it is just a bit pony. I'm struggling to come up with an answer on that one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:50 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
I really don't know if it was pure luck or not but I never had to mod a weapon.

You never have to mod anything, but the amount of difference you can make to the damage output, accuracy, etc of every single gun at the workbench is pretty fearsome. I got to the point a while back of not bothering to even look at the weapons enemies drop because--Legendary benefits aside--they can't be as good as a modded version I've got. Which has pros and cons; it does mean I'm not fucking up the flow of the game by constantly stopping to compare weapons stats but it also means you lose the interest of investigating dead enemies in case they've got something juicy. Depends what you prefer.

The settlement building stuff is pretty pointless though. I've never done anything above the bare minimum the game forces you to do and it hasn't impeded my progress in the slightest. Fair enough if you enjoy it for it's own sake but it's definitely not integrated into the wider game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:56 

Yeah it never once explains why you should even bother spending any time at all with the base building crap beyond what you have to. It's like they developed it and then decided that it might just piss too many people off if it was something that you actually had to do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I have to say I'm surprised at all the negative feedback in here. I definitely think the dialogue options are thin, but that aside I loved this for every minute. Quests, locations, fighting, I thought it was brilliantly done. I love the weapons and armour modding, and think it's so much better done than it was in New Vegas.

The settlement building sure, it's pretty pointless other than the couple of points where it directly affects the main quest line. I found it a load of fun to do though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:26 

I think I just massively preferred the "blank slate" approach to the character that New Vegas had, and the branching questlines and different factions.

Admittedly though I've not really played far enough into FO4 to really see much of it, but after seeing "HATE NEWSPAPERS" in the dialogue wheel I basically checked out. Awful.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 13:26 
Gogmagog

Heh. 10 things why BAFTAS were wrong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 13:28 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
I have to say I'm surprised at all the negative feedback in here. I definitely think the dialogue options are thin, but that aside I loved this for every minute. Quests, locations, fighting, I thought it was brilliantly done. I love the weapons and armour modding, and think it's so much better done than it was in New Vegas.

The settlement building sure, it's pretty pointless other than the couple of points where it directly affects the main quest line. I found it a load of fun to do though.

I think I wanted to love it more than 3. I tried hard. But I can't. It's like the Phil Neville of games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 13:50 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:

Even though I couldn't get into it I must admit Witcher 3 was incredible. Not only to look at but to play too. I just don't dig the theme but it was executed brilliantly.

MaliA wrote:
I think I wanted to love it more than 3. I tried hard. But I can't. It's like the Phil Neville of games.

I think the first and most disappointing thing with FO4 for me was the size. Fallout 3 was made in 2008 and the map was the size it was. I was expecting Fallout 4 to be absolutely fucking monstrous given how many years it had taken to make. I was so disappointed when I started playing and realised that not only was the map no bigger than Fallout 3 but it was also filled with irradiated wasteland with absolutely fucking nothing in it.

Ugh. Honestly now that I have opened the "Tap of moan" I could go on all day. Not only does it not have a soul but it also has hardly any personality either. It's insipid. I had heard rumours they were bringing back Three Dogg and I honestly, truly thought that the DJ on FO4 was actually a fucking joke and at some point he would fuck off and Three Dogg or some one with a bit of personality would come back. But no, just some whiny fucking cunt with a voice reminiscent of a teenager with a voice that hasn't broken yet.

And then the companions. Not only were most of them boring twats you had to stay with them long enough to actually get their story out of them. Only it takes so long that it isn't really worth it.

Had this game released just after New Vegas? I would have fucking loved it. It would have looked better, sounded better and been far more interesting to me. Now? it just looks like a game from 2010 that's only just been released.

Edit. Oh yeah, the music. They actually used some of the same songs from Fallout 3. What the actual fuck?

Oh and the buildings are fucking crap too. They contain no stories and most of them all look exactly the same inside. I loved how I could wander into a building in Fallout 3 and get lost and be in there for hours reading scripts and listening to holotapes and picking up hidden quests.

:boots:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

JohnCoffey wrote:
truly thought that the DJ on FO4 was actually a fucking joke and at some point he would fuck off and Three Dogg or some one with a bit of personality would come back. But no, just some whiny fucking cunt with a voice reminiscent of a teenager with a voice that hasn't broken yet.

I'm going to assume you bypassed the quest chain where you help the DJ to 'man up' then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:30 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
truly thought that the DJ on FO4 was actually a fucking joke and at some point he would fuck off and Three Dogg or some one with a bit of personality would come back. But no, just some whiny fucking cunt with a voice reminiscent of a teenager with a voice that hasn't broken yet.

I'm going to assume you bypassed the quest chain where you help the DJ to 'man up' then.

No I didn't but it didn't make him any less annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I found him much better than ThreeDog. Horses for courses, I guess. Agree with you on the reuse of music, needed loads more new tunes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:36 

The music in the new Fallout games is always weird to me. FO3 established that it's been 200 years since the bombs fell. Look how far music came in 200 years between the 1700s and 1900s, do they really expect us to believe that post-war society 200 years after the apocalypse still listens to 1950s music and hasn't created any original content?

:P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

They haven't created any new anything, outside of small hi-tech enclaves. That's kind of the point of the whole series, man! There's no recording studios, no way of spreading music other than on donkeyback outside of short-range radio, no schools with music lessons...

Beethoven wouldn't have been banging out corking tunes if he had to use his piano for firewood.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 14:53 
Gogmagog

You know Bach invented jazz, yeah?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 16:24 

Cras wrote:
They haven't created any new anything, outside of small hi-tech enclaves. That's kind of the point of the whole series, man!

For FO1 and FO2 sure, they were still close enough to 2077 that it worked thematically.

Suspension of disbelief gets harder the further in to the future you get, though.

Quote:
Beethoven wouldn't have been banging out corking tunes if he had to use his piano for firewood.

Doesn't have to be Beethoven level, just some band somewhere that plays new original tunes on some of the scrap lying around would do wonders for world building ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 16:51 
Rude Belittler

To be fair, they have created new songs for this one....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 16:09 
Esoteric

Well I decided to try this DLC. Firstly, it's fucking hard. Like seriously hard and my weapons seem to do no damage at all to the bigger robots who just seem to steam into me and blow fucking steam at me. Very annoying !

Any way I am a good bit through it now and so far it's been as I expected, pretty pone. (pone as in pony as in pony and trap). It wants me to build a robot but it hasn't explained how in any shape or form as usual with the construction in this game.

I went to Diamond City to hopefully (store was closed so I saved the game and will wait when I play it next for day break) buy some mini nukes as I've been going through them like shite through a goose since I started the DLC (and to get some Stimpaks, I've used about 30 on this DLC so far !) and ended up picking up another quest that I wasn't aware of. It's something to do with

some guy whose wife can't keep her knickers pulled up so you have to go on a quest with a bar owner etc.

And I enjoyed that far more than this DLC so far. So there is a glimmer of hope yet even though this game physically sucks. It wants to Vsync to half of my monitor refresh rate so for spending £830 on two GPUs I either play the game at 35 FPS (wow) or disable Vsync and enable AMD frame limiting and play it at 90 FPS with tearing.

Grrrrreat. No really, best game evarr.

I am still waiting for one of the DLC that did actually look pretty amazing. I can't remember which one it was but yeah, looked the bizz.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 16:15 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Well I decided to try this DLC. Firstly, it's fucking hard. Like seriously hard and my weapons seem to do no damage at all to the bigger robots who just seem to steam into me and blow fucking steam at me. Very annoying!

So your unmodded weapons aren't working out after all then? :p Seriously: mod your weapons. I blew through the DLC with no more trouble than I had with the rest of the game and am currently sitting on a stockpile of about 300 stimpacks because I never use them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 16:19 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
It wants me to build a robot but it hasn't explained how in any shape or form as usual with the construction in this game.

In the 'special' section of the workbench you'll now have the ability to add a robot workbench to any settlement. Once you've built that just click on it and you can select to either mod any existing robot companion you've got or build a new one from scratch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:45 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Well I decided to try this DLC. Firstly, it's fucking hard. Like seriously hard and my weapons seem to do no damage at all to the bigger robots who just seem to steam into me and blow fucking steam at me. Very annoying!

So your unmodded weapons aren't working out after all then? :p Seriously: mod your weapons. I blew through the DLC with no more trouble than I had with the rest of the game and am currently sitting on a stockpile of about 300 stimpacks because I never use them.

It always seems to want shit I don't have. I tag it for search but you've got to find it first. By which time I've become completely side tracked and forget.

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
It wants me to build a robot but it hasn't explained how in any shape or form as usual with the construction in this game.

In the 'special' section of the workbench you'll now have the ability to add a robot workbench to any settlement. Once you've built that just click on it and you can select to either mod any existing robot companion you've got or build a new one from scratch.

Oh I figured that bit out
'cause Robobrain has a body now
but now I don't have the parts for the next one, meaning I've got to spend hours trying to find things that I don't know about. IE - I don't say "Oh I need X and Y parts so I will just look for a camera" I say "Fuck sake it wants me to get parts and I don't even know what to look for". And that's what has put me off of the modding. In FONV the mods were either found or bought complete, then all I had to do was find the gun for them or what not and use them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 
Excellent Member

If you tag the stuff you need for search then it'll flag up any items that contain the stuff you're looking for so you don't need to actually know in advance; wiping your cursor over stuff and looking out for the magnifying glass icon popping up isn't much of a burden. If you're really that bothered about knowing what to check in advance though then this page tells you what compound items contain each 'trivial' junk component:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_junk_items

Really though the answer is to actually use the modding functionality for your weapons and armour (if you're not modding armour that's probably another reason you're getting murdered; please tell me you've at least added ballistic weave to your jumpsuit or whatever under the armour?). You very quickly get a sense of which items contain the stuff you're looking for once you've spent some time actually giving a shit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:07 
Esoteric

No I'm not wearing any armour because the power armour needs cells. I've got loads, but I just don't bother using it because of the stupid addition of cells. It worked in Fallout 3, so I don't see any reason why they had to fucking change it so drastically that it's not worth bothering with.

I've not really needed it either really. Mostly because I had Danse by my side until I couldn't and now Strong. So for the most part they take care of enemies whilst I can do the finer things in life like digging through boxes and shit. Sadly Ada is fucking useless so I have to do all of the killing now, something which I clearly hadn't planned for.

TBH Bamba I really don't want to have to search for shit as I really don't like the modding and building in this game. So much so that I have only used it when I absolutely had to.

Sadly some one at Bethesda didn't get the "if it ain't broke" memo and instead decided to change absolutely everything. Kinda like Mephisto adds asses to monkeys in South Park.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:14 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
No I'm not wearing any armour because the power armour needs cells.

I didn't say power armour, I just said armour. You know you can mod all the non-power clothing in the game as well right? Seriously, at least look into the ballistic weave I mentioned.

Or, y'know, don't; and keep moaning about how hard the combat is and how many stimpacks you're using. Whatever works for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:22 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
No I'm not wearing any armour because the power armour needs cells.

I didn't say power armour, I just said armour. You know you can mod all the non-power clothing in the game as well right? Seriously, at least look into the ballistic weave I mentioned.

Or, y'know, don't; and keep moaning about how hard the combat is and how many stimpacks you're using. Whatever works for you.

I didn't know that no. Maybe the manual... Oh wait.

My selection of weapons work really well on absolutely everything but these new robots, dude. I've got a modded 50 cal gun with sights that can take out pretty much anything, as well as a special shotgun etc etc. Yet on these fucking robots I may as well be chewing up tissues and spitting them at them through a straw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Only some of the clothes, sadly. However that some includes Piper's leather overcoat, so that made me happy.

I very much prefer the look of a character with old-school ballistic firearms and no real armour, so being able to mod weapons and clothes is super awesome.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next