Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 13:16 
Soopah red DS

Cras wrote:
OK, FO2 then, if only for the ability to shove your companions out of the way when they block you into a toilet cubicle.

The bleakness of this. I shed a tear for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 22:34 
Gogmagog

I now eat people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 0:34 
Excellent Member

Last week I came across this satellite array as part of a side quest I stumbled into, but there were three or four super mutants guarding the place and I got my ass kicked. After levelling up, upgrading my armour and guns and getting a sniper rifle I went back to take them on again. A well placed strike against the suicide bomber guy that killed me a lot the first time round took out him and about four bad guys standing around him. "Awesome," I thought, "that means there can't be many of them left!" Ahahahaha. There were a fucking shitload more of them lurking around the structure including a legendary guy with a fucking laser rifle who could shoot at me from miles away. Also, as if to really rub it in that I had no chance, one of them mutated right in front of me from a normal guy to a legendary guy then kicked the shit out me. I noped the fuck out and I'm not going back until I'm much further into the game. Fucksticks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 0:52 
INFINITE POWAH

I nuked that bug motherly fudger near the comic place..it was awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 0:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:
Last week I came across this satellite array as part of a side quest I stumbled into, but there were three or four super mutants guarding the place and I got my ass kicked. After levelling up, upgrading my armour and guns and getting a sniper rifle I went back to take them on again. A well placed strike against the suicide bomber guy that killed me a lot the first time round took out him and about four bad guys standing around him. "Awesome," I thought, "that means there can't be many of them left!" Ahahahaha. There were a fucking shitload more of them lurking around the structure including a legendary guy with a fucking laser rifle who could shoot at me from miles away. Also, as if to really rub it in that I had no chance, one of them mutated right in front of me from a normal guy to a legendary guy then kicked the shit out me. I noped the fuck out and I'm not going back until I'm much further into the game. Fucksticks.

I took those guys out reasonably early on with a tricked out hunting rifle. I do find companions exceedingly useful for taking the hit from suiciders :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:34 
Rude Belittler

I was doing Nicks quest, which involves a lot of travelling between various places, when it all kicks off nearby. Lots of lasers flying around. Anyway, I leave the building I'm in, and a headless corpse flies about 30ft into the air and lands next to me, still spurting blood. I'm like, 'WTF!' then the Deathclaw thats fighting a couple of Brotherhood Paladins appears over the hillock where the poor body came from.

Anyone visited Vault 81? Quincy? The Museum of Witchcraft?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've done 81

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:39 
Esoteric

Didn't know there was a Vault 81. Only other one I had discovered was 114.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 15:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Note to self - note which grenades you have equipped. Fighting a horde of ghouls, lobbed a frag over the back to thin them out a bit. Nothing happened - huh. Then there's a thin plume of smoke. Wait, what? I have smoke grenades? ....oh FUCK! RUN AWAY!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 17:14 
Esoteric

They're for calling in the cavalry, IIRC. Never worked for me, fucking BOS tossers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 17:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nope, different grenades - and I avoided saying exactly what they do for spoilery reasons ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 18:56 

Cras wrote:
Note to self - note which grenades you have equipped. Fighting a horde of ghouls, lobbed a frag over the back to thin them out a bit. Nothing happened - huh. Then there's a thin plume of smoke. Wait, what? I have smoke grenades? ....oh FUCK! JUMP ON IT!!

FeEx.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 20:45 
Excellent Member

Cait likes to kill Supermutants with her bladed tire iron. She's hard as fuck, and crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cait's crazy, and you know that, and that's fine. That's why I prefer Piper - because she's not crazy, she's perfectly pleasant and normal, and then she kicks the fuck off and sets fire to every son of a bitch in the room.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:02 
Excellent Member

My current partner is Strong, the super mutant. He won't use a fucking gun no matter how many I give him and he constantly moans when I'm not in a fight. Oh, and if I pick a lock 'Strong doesn't like that'. He's a dick, is what I'm saying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Huh. I assumed there was a super mutant companion, because you could find armour for them, but (middle main question spoilers)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I assumed it would be Virgil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:37 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Huh. I assumed there was a super mutant companion, because you could find armour for them, but (middle main question spoilers)

I assumed it would be Virgil

I've no idea what that means. I got mine (i.e my super mutant companion) by finishing a quest that began from following a distress signal, if that helps. It was a pish quest with very little setup and rubbish, rushed ending. I'm not impressed with F4 so far, if I'm honest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I never really liked you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

See you in three weeks! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:50 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
I never really liked you.

No one did, not really.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 17:05 
Gogmagog

Using VATS to melee super mutants is awesome. Level 13 now. Suddenly, a super mutant mutated into a legendary one. Which was exciting. I need to check my inventory to see what he dropped

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 0:10 
Excellent Member

I am super addicted to this game. If it weren't for Cities Skylines it would be game of the year for me. I'm now on Level 33. As is traditional in all RPGs I have modelled my character after Beadie from the Wire. She's got the rifleman perk at +80% damage and a special, special rifle that essentially fires an extra free bullet every shot, and the damage is at 131, so I'm racking up 262 damage with every piff, paff and poff. Plus long, light barrel, marksman stock, quick eject medium mag, glow sights and the most powerful receiver make it a weapon that doubles as a shotgun and can fire fairly fast. Mmm.

Currently I'm maxing out my castle, with a four level barracks topping out with a cool balcony from which you can see the super-distant glow. I've repaired all the walls and have an ace checkpointed main battlements with towers and zig-zagging platforms and ladders and oh-man-it-is-so-good. Funnily enough I still barely dabble in power armour. If anyone could tell me how you paint it I would be most humbly grateful. Nick Valentine and Piper for the travel companion win and I am voracious in my never ending hunt for wood and steel.

Also, fuck people with gamma guns.

That is all.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 0:14 
Excellent Member

I came across a mirelurk queen today. I totally shat myself and ran the fuck away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 0:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You paint power armour in the same way as you mod any armour or weapon. You have to find magazines to get colour schemes though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:04 
Excellent Member

Hmm, I just want a blue and yellow paint job in keeping with my vault suit. I has the paint! Magical mod please!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:20 
Esoteric

NervousPete wrote:

Also, fuck people with gamma guns.

That is all.

I stumbled across those fuckers today. I couldn't believe how much damage they could do !

I'm at level 43 now. About 48 hours in..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 21:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I prefer my Fallout kinda old school. Laser weapons and power armour are for those who have no faith in a good worn duster and a steady eye. I was pleased that there's a good range of gunpowder weapons with decent punch, and the ability to mod them is great. As the difficulty ramps up though and the enemies get tougher, I started to despair of being able to look cool and still soak up a decent amount of damage on the armour side of things :(

However!

A few quests into the railroad faction and I unlock the wonder that is ballistic weave and clothing modding. I'm now rocking Piper's old red leather trenchcoat modded with ballistic weave 5, for 110/115 armour. I'm really very pleased.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 23:33 
Esoteric

I stumbled across a .50cal hunting rifle ages ago and I gotta say, she kicks like a mule and makes heads explode like water melons.

It's so fantastic I've not really bothered with anything else, I just stuck a sniper scope on it and had done.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 23:38 
Excellent Member

I've just finished the initial Nick Valentine quest and, although I'm sure this'll be explained in due course, it's really weird that
the entire town is utterly terrified of synths and yet they let him live there and run a business out of the place. Given all the synth-hatred chat you hear from the townspeople you'd expect them to have long since utterly murdered him.
That question's probably only a spoiler for someone who's barely played the game, but I'm at level 13 and have really only just gone to Diamond City for the first time as I spent so long doing Minutemen missions in the wasteland.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 23:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, I completely agree with what you've spoilered there. Very odd.

JC - I have a 50 cal rifle and pistol, but really struggle for enough ammo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 0:09 
Gogmagog

Serrated sword. Takes a supermutant down in 3 swooshes at level 12.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 
Rude Belittler

Whoops! That was a very big bang!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:12 

I have to say that this game has got its hooks into me just as much as FO3 did which is a lot more than any other game since. It's just tremendous.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 13:23 
Esoteric

RE - Bamba's spoiler..

Don't read until you have finished the main quest at least.

That happens later on in the game, too. The BOS find out Danse is a synth and order you to kill him. They hate him so much that in the end the best I could muster was sending him to live in a cave. If I try and get him to come with me then the BOS become my immediate enemies and start attacking me as soon as I leave the cave with him. However, shortly after that I went and blew up the institute and Shaun (the real human one) gave me Shaun (the seven year old synth) to take with me. I did as he asked, and lo and behold when I got back to the Prydwen or whatever it's called there was Shaun, large as life, waiting for me, aboard the BOS airship :nerd:

It seems that synth hypocrisy is rife in FO4.

markg wrote:
I have to say that this game has got its hooks into me just as much as FO3 did which is a lot more than any other game since. It's just tremendous.

It's a very, very good game. Definitely the best I have played in many a year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 16:47 
Excellent Member

That's more than enough work done for today; to the wasteland! With Caffeine running and my remote desktop's volume turned up so I can hear incoming messages obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 17:58 
Excellent Member

Ooh, now that is useful! Free repeatable radiation cure:
There's a location called Hallucigen Inc near-ish to where you first rescue Nick Valentine. After you fight your way through it (easy stuff, just some Gunners) there's a decontamination tunnel you can activate from a nearby terminal and when you walk through it you're cured of all current radiation poisoning. I tried leaving the building and coming back and it was still active so presumably you can just keep going back. Best of all, near that point you get a key to a side entrance door that's near the decontamination tunnel so you don't even need to run through the building from the start every time you visit.
Note that there's no plot spoiler in that or anything, just tells you a bit about a random location with no wider significance as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 19:49 
Rude Belittler

To be fair, it'd be shitty if you had to keep swapping to a different companion every time you wanted to hand in a quest to the BOS. Although I suppose they could have handled it like The Institute, where your companions simply aren't allowed in the Prydwen, and catch up with you later.

not that it matters in my game, the Prydwen having had a slight owie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 13:49 
Esoteric

Pundabaya wrote:
To be fair, it'd be shitty if you had to keep swapping to a different companion every time you wanted to hand in a quest to the BOS. Although I suppose they could have handled it like The Institute, where your companions simply aren't allowed in the Prydwen, and catch up with you later.

not that it matters in my game, the Prydwen having had a slight owie

It really sucks for a few reasons. Firstly, due to the meds I take I feel rather drowsy like all of the time. This makes me crap at combat especially and Danse is the hardest bastard I have had. And that's out of about six companions. Secondly I doubt I will ever get to do "his" quest because I can no longer roam with him. But yes, mainly combat. I've tried about five other companions and they all get knocked on their asses. Danse used to clear out entire areas for me and all I had to do was hide.

Maybe once I am quite sure I have finished with the BOS completely and feel like spicing it up a little I will go get him back and to heck with the BOS.

For the past three days I have hit it quite hard, racking up a quite impressive ten hours (which is a lot for me). I have found some really wonderful things and been involved in some really great quests. Sadly two of the quests were broken and I have had to hack the game around a bit to make them work as I really wanted to do them. But at least I was able to do that :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 15:05 
Excellent Member

I've just swapped super-mutant Strong to Irish psycho Cait as a companion and generally I'm much happier with her. She doesn't clump around noisily all the fucking time (which somewhat buggers up your immersion if you're trying to stealth around) and she doesn't moan at me every time I go on a salvage run or even just pick a fucking lock. Combat-wise though it's a mixed bag; she's actually a lot more effective in a fight--Strong tended to stand around talking trash about how much he was going to hurt people but would actually swing his sledgehammer annoyingly rarely--but when she goes down she goes down for a lot longer than he ever did. She also initiated a conversation, which is presumably the beginning of the road to her companion quest, pretty quickly whereas Strong never said shit to me of import. Or, if he did, it wasn't obvious to me as a prompt to have a conversation. I am intrigued at what the 'milk of human kindness' he mentioned actually was and I assume the hunt for that would form his quest line so I'll probably swap back to him at some point and try to advance it. Um, if I can find him. I sent him back to Sanctuary as far as I remember but when I tried to find him later to get back some stuff he was holding for me he was nowhere to be found.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 15:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If they drop, I think they drop until combat is finished, unless you stimpak them

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 15:51 
Esoteric

Companions. I will put them in a spoiler for Justin..

I started out with Dogmeat. Sadly he was total crap and never quite managed a kill of his own (just a struggle in which I would need to intervene). I don't know if he gets harder and better as the game goes on because I soon replaced him with Danse, a one man killing machine. This worked out amazingly well because I was able to just hide and potter around collecting loot, ammo and chems I use (Radaway, Rad X and Stimpaks). Any way, due to his help I now have around 2000 rounds of .50cal as for most of the game I used the combat shotgun on shells and the modified assault rifle on .56 is it? any way yeah, didn't have any .50cal weapons until two days ago, now have pretty much a lifetime supply of ammo..

So once Danse was gone I went over to Macready from Fallout 3. What a useless twat.. Desperate for some one half decent I switched to Nick the detective and he was OK. He carries a lazer pistol at least. I played with Nick for many an hour, long enough to trigger "his quest". I won't go into the details about that but I wanted to try some one else so I moved over to Piper. Again, shite in combat. I have her close to her quest now but then discovered Cait, so now I'm with her (I will probably stick with her for a bit until she spills her proverbial beans, then switch back to Piper. I also have the pirate guy from Good whatever it is waiting at Sanctuary. I think that's all of them but there could be more. I did have a chat with the Vault Tec rep and sent him to Sanctuary also but he has yet to appear.

One thing's for sure, this game has a fucking shit load of companions. It also seems to be absolutely stuffed to the brim with content and quests. Far more than Fallout 3 did, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 16:01 
Excellent Member

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
If they drop, I think they drop until combat is finished, unless you stimpak them

Hmmm, with Strong it seemed like he was out of the game for a certain time period every time bit maybe not.

On a companion related note, how do you ask them to do specific stuff for you, like pick locks? Cait informed me the first time we hit a locked door that I could ask her to unlock stuff for me but I couldn't find any way to actually command her to do it. Am I just being dim?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 16:05 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:

Hmmm, with Strong it seemed like he was out of the game for a certain time period every time bit maybe not.

On a companion related note, how do you ask them to do specific stuff for you, like pick locks? Cait informed me the first time we hit a locked door that I could ask her to unlock stuff for me but I couldn't find any way to actually command her to do it. Am I just being dim?

Click x on them, then click on the thing you want them to do stuff to. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 16:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Look at them and click to 'command' when the prompt comes up, then look at the lock or whatever and click again. For lock picking they have to have a Bobby pin in inventory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 16:08 
Excellent Member

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
For lock picking they have to have a Bobby pin in inventory

Ah, that's presumably the bit I've missed. Thanks for the guidance there Bethesda, you dicks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 16:43 
Gogmagog

Huh. Seems eating corpses is frowned upon in this world. Never mind, I shall stand in radiation to heal instead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 17:29 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
For lock picking they have to have a Bobby pin in inventory

Ah, that's presumably the bit I've missed. Thanks for the guidance there Bethesda, you dicks.

At times this game is really poorly documented. It's almost like they expect you to work it all out out of arrogance.

I ended up buying myself the Wasteland Survival Guide. It arrived, it's about the same size and weight of the Guinness book of records FFS.

But yeah, have really had to work out a lot in this game on my own. Which is sad, because it means that I won't truly have learned it until it's too late. Which means I will kick all ass in playthrough #2 but right now I'm a bit shite.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 19:44 
Rude Belittler

Remember to equip your companions with weapons and armour. To make sure they use the gear, you have to manually equip them in the trade screen. You can also have them tool around in power armour, and they only need one fusion core. To get them to enter power armour you click on them, then point at the power armour.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 19:44 
Rude Belittler

Oh and I'll take the accidental double post to point out I hit the Final 'War... War Never Changes' of the main quest last night. 2 days 17 hours dead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 0:24 
Esoteric

Pundabaya wrote:
Oh and I'll take the accidental double post to point out I hit the Final 'War... War Never Changes' of the main quest last night. 2 days 17 hours dead.

I hit that about 12 hours ago. I was worried that it may be rather empty after that like Fallout 3 was but man, they've really put some quests into this game. And they're not ten second crappy ones either they're really rather meaty.

Everywhere I go I am finding some really super quests :) Now I can understand why it took so long to make tbh.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next