Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 13:39 
Esoteric

So I need to be in workbench mode yes?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 13:41 
Excellent Member

flis wrote:
Clearing locations all the time starts feeling a little grindy.

That's a criticism I've seen levelled at the game a lot and certainly it's pretty much all I've done so far. I've just met some Brotherhood of Steel folks and agreed to help them which is the most interesting thing that's happened so far, even though I suspect my help will really just involve clearing out more locations. I'm assuming (hoping!) things will get a bit more varied once the main plotline kicks off properly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 13:42 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:

Well, Workshop Mode, but yes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 14:00 
Excellent Member

Heh, coincidentally I was just catching up with some interwebs having been away for the last few days and was amused by this quote from Penny Arcade:

Quote:
You can craft in this game, but, like… craft towns? What I said at lunch was that I resented being made to do level design also, but by that point I was just lashing out because nobody was feeling my flavor. I don’t need this to be as granular as it is. The interface for this is… not an interface. That’s me being diplomatic. This is Steam Greenlight, Survival-Game-Of-The-Week shit. None of this should work the way it does. Assigning people to jobs is frankly insane, grids are real and useful, there should be an aerial view, we can do this for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 14:00 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Well, Workshop Mode, but yes.

Thw Amiga is alive*. Stop repressing it.

* - Apparently it's also alice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 14:02 

http://www.pcgamer.com/playing-fallout- ... net_770550

Playing Fallout 4 with Charisma, Luck, and nothing else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 14:14 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://nerdist.com/fallout-4-easter-egg ... -to-alien/

Quote:
FALLOUT 4 Easter Egg Makes An Obscure Reference to ALIEN

While Easter Eggs in video games are designed to be rare finds for the observant player, it is more rare now to find a game that omits them these days. Open-world RPG titles like Fallout 4 provide all of the room for a developer to hide a little something special within that game’s environment. Players will find all kinds of references to movies, comics, and video games throughout the wasteland, and some can be more obvious than others. While we all know exactly what games “Red Menace” and “Pipfall” are referencing, some Easter Eggs are a little more obscure. One such reference was found by an Imgur contributor that goes by the name 1Times.

Throughout the game, players are able to collect junk items called Flux Sensors from all across the wasteland. 1Times discovered that one of these Flux Sensors has an interesting serial number marked on it.

It turns out “CM-88B 180924609” is, in fact, a serial number for a CM-88B Bison starfreighter named the Nostromo; the setting of the 1979 film Alien. For those unfamiliar with the film, the Nostromo is the ship that Ellen Ripley and crew work on, and where they are hunted by a lone Xenomorph alien. 1Times included a screenshot from the film to prove the serial number matches.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 14:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

Scrap what I said about guns moving with the supply lines. Nope. Scrap only.

My new plan is to take everything and then pop to diamond city at intervals to offload all the crap to the many traders in close proximity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 14:21 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
http://www.pcgamer.com/playing-fallout-4-with-charisma-luck-and-nothing-else/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_770550

Playing Fallout 4 with Charisma, Luck, and nothing else.

Superb!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 14:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

zaphod79 wrote:
It turns out “CM-88B 180924609” is, in fact, a serial number for a CM-88B Bison starfreighter named the Nostromo;

PEDANT: It's the registration number (the last bit, anyway), not the serial number.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 23:28 
Excellent Member

Yas, finally got my hands on some energy weapons! They were my go-to killing implement in the last two Fallout games and thankfully they've lost none of their lethality. I stuck my head into the tech institute a while back but ran away when it was infested with super-mutants (including one with a proper name and a star against him which presumably meant 'hard as fuck'). I decided to go back and check out just how hardcore they were with my shiny new laser rifle, making sure to save first as I was expecting to get murdered. Nope, I fucked their collective asses up no bother with my new pew-pew.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 0:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

The energy guns that occasionally turn people into puddles of fizz are quite fun, but I'm now at the point where the average raider is a one-shot kill, and with headshots the head almost always pings off in a very satisfying way.

Oh and finally cobbled together some halfway decent armour so I can tank a bit while I'm lining up the shot. Just need more XP, more perks, more stuff, more CARRY WEIGHT.

Actually that's a good point, if I mod my companion's armour so it's all pocketed that should give them more carry weight too, so they can carry even more of my shite around.

The stress of a fusion core ticking down, even though I've got a dozen spare, puts me off getting out the power armour for all but the most difficult situations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

This is a bit great, isn't it? Agree with some of the complaints on settlements - the way you assign people to tasks is rubbish, and placing structures is a bit of a pain in the arse. The rest of it works pretty well though

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:50 
8-Bit Champion

http://fortune.com/2015/11/16/fallout4- ... st-seller/

Quote:

You Likely Never Heard of the Best-Selling Game of 2015

Activision Blizzard’s Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 is no longer the biggest entertainment launch of 2015.

Bethesda’s Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies and generated over $750 million in its first 24 hours at retail on Nov. 10. Those numbers obliterate the over $550 million in 72 hours that Activision-owned developer Treyarch earned with Call of Duty: Black Ops 3.

Yet while Activision ATVI 2.08% has done a great job of turning Call of Duty into a mainstream game franchise that most people, including nongamers, recognize, the Fallout franchise is one with dedicated gamers but little pop culture crossover.

In Fallout 4, gamers play the sole survivor of Vault 111 and enter a world destroyed by nuclear war. The game has been designed as an open world adventure, allowing players to craft their own character and embark on a unique exploration of the New England Wasteland.

SuperData Research CEO Joost van Dreunen has been a fan of the Fallout franchise since day one because of its unique aesthetic and experience.

“Its popularity seems to come from an odd blend of narrative and action,” van Dreunen says. “As the franchise has grown more mature over the years, it has inevitably attracted a larger player base, but its popularity among livestreamers on Twitch and YouTube has further accelerated its momentum.”

Fallout 4 set the record as the most viewed game launch of all 2015 games, according to Twitch.

Mike Schramm, video game analyst at EEDAR, says the Fallout franchise has three main audiences. There are the old-school PC gamers who remember the original turn-based games. There are fans of Todd Howard’s Bethesda Game Studios, whose last three games (Elder Scrolls III: Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim) were hailed as games of the year on their respective releases. And Fallout 4 is also attracting fans of the new PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles as well.

“Bethesda announced the game as a surprise back at E3, and the title has squarely remained high on ‘most anticipated’ lists since then, matching up to other big names like Microsoft’s Halo 5, Activision’s Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, and Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed Syndicate,” Schramm says.

The game was one of the most preordered titles of the year at retailers. And digital sales were also strong, with sales over $100 million across Valve’s Steam platform and Sony and Microsoft’s digital stores. Van Dreunen says the game sold over 1.2 million PC and over 640,000 console digital copies at launch.

Van Dreunen says the digital success of Fallout 4 launch sales shows more gamers are willing to forego disc-based copies of big game releases. In North America, SuperData Research reports that full game downloads on PC and console generate $4.4 billion in annual revenue.

Fallout 4 established a concurrent play record on Steam with over 470,000 PC gamers playing at once.

The companion app, Fallout Pip-Boy, became the No. 1 game on the iTunes App Store, and the mobile Fallout Shelter app has been a success on both iOS and Android mobile devices. Schramm says Bethesda is likely to expand its mobile strategy. The company already is developing a mobile Elder Scrolls game.

Van Dreunen says this launch is a “slam dunk” for ZeniMax. He believes the financial gains will likely go toward maintaining the company’s creative independence, especially now that the games industry has entered a period of consolidation.

ZeniMax Media divisions include Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, Arkane Studios, Tango Gameworks, MachineGames, Battlecry Studios, ZeniMax Online Studios, ZeniMax Europe Ltd., ZeniMax Asia K.K., ZeniMax Asia Pacific Ltd., and ZeniMax Australia Ltd. The company has a large suite of game franchises, including Elder Scrolls, Doom, Quake, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, The Evil Within, and Rage.

Schramm says the company’s new strategy of officially announcing Fallout 4 after four years of development and then shipping it five months later could impact both the way ZeniMax markets franchises in the future as well as the entire games industry.

“ZeniMax and other companies may build AAA schedules in the future to surprise players with more finished titles from trusted studios, rather than showing relatively unfinished work early,” Schramm says.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I was very confused by "You Likely Never Heard of the Best-Selling Game of 2015" until I saw that it was a Fortune article, not the gaming press. Doesn't excuse the grammar though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 13:13 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
This is a bit great, isn't it? Agree with some of the complaints on settlements - the way you assign people to tasks is rubbish, and placing structures is a bit of a pain in the arse. The rest of it works pretty well though

I've tried to avoid building as much as I could but sadly there come points where you have to do it. Thankfully I think I have it nailed now and thus I can carry on just killing things and exploring.

What I don't like is that there are absolutely no tutorials on building at all. Well, at least not that I have seen, so I have reached for the interwebs a few times now. I guess maybe if you played more of that sort of game you would "get it" far quicker than I did but Bethesda can be a little presumptuous at times. I guess it's like the almost expected you to play all of their other RPGs.

Overall though I absolutely love this game. Sure it could look better but I think it will be Fallout 5 or Fallout 6 that will be true next gen like Fallout 3 was. Saying that the graphics don't bother me at all, but some things do feel familiar (and because of the graphics quality rather than the game itself).

I like the changes they have made, but don't like some others. Which is good, because that gives every one something to like and something to dislike :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 14:17 
8-Bit Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 14:30 
Excellent Member

Some potentially useful stuff here:

http://www.gamesradar.com/9-hidden-mech ... you-about/

The fact that there's a sort of 'cover' system could be very handy if it's well implemented, and clear instructions on how to dress companions in armour and clothes is appreciated. The sheer amount of stuff they never even attempted to explain is beginning to boggle my mind. Reading that list even highlights stuff that muscle memory took care of for me (e.g. the flashlight) that new players will likely never know exists.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 15:00 
Esoteric

Oddly enough I had only just noticed the "Tag for search" thing. I want to put a longer barrel on my shotgun and yeah, just realised you can tag what you need and it then shows with a magnifying glass.

Very handy !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 15:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It doesn't seem to show in the game world, unless I'm missing something - only when it's in your inventory?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 15:15 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
It doesn't seem to show in the game world, unless I'm missing something - only when it's in your inventory?

If you tag 'Crystal', when you come across a camera out searching, the magnifying glass with show next to the word camera so you know whether or not to pick it up. I've found it most useful for things like oil, copper, screws and fibreglass because you could guess for awhile about some of the items that might contain those things until you know!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 15:15 

Cras wrote:

It does. You get a little magnifying glass icon next to the object name.

It can be worth tagging some rare materials (copper, springs, nuclear material) so you never overlook an obscure item that has them. Took me a long time to realise Battered Clipboards have a spring.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 14:41 
Esoteric

I finally built the Artillery yesterday. Comes in quite useful really. Now when I see an area infested with Mutants I just call in the bombs..

I've also fully built and erected the teleport thing. I just haven't powered it up because I've got a feeling I have either missed something, or, I am going to have to build several large generators which will take me ages to find all of the materials for.

So I'm still just pottering around exploring and helping out farmsteads. I did an awesome quest yesterday at the water works.

So yeah, having a whale of a time really.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 14:42 

Spoilers. Spoilers never change.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 14:45 
Gogmagog

Got me a sledgehammer now. Motherfuckering sledgehammer. And I sold all my ammo to buy a chest doodah.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 15:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

This game is bad for me. I stayed up all night walling off Sanctuary.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 15:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And I've just changed my mind about how to do it so I'm going to go and pull it all down again :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 16:15 
Esoteric

Apologies for the spoilers. I was being rather vague and expected every one to be far further than I am into the story.

I decided to take on all of the mini and side quests first, so even though I'm a good 40 hours in now I haven't really got that far into the story. I'm just savoring the game tbh, taking my time and slowly (very slowly) working my way through it. Keeping all of the factions happy is a bit of a juggle really, but tons of fun none the less.

The sheer size of the game is breathtaking really.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 16:24 
Excellent Member

I had a really shitty session last night. I'm just following the missions that the Minute Man guy in Sanctuary is giving me plus following up on any radio signals I come across during my travels, and last night every single mission I tried out or location I explored saw me getting utterly murdered all to shit. My initial encounters with super-mutants went pretty well, partially due to me being flush with energy weapon ammo, but now I'm back to normal guns and getting my ass handed to me. Not helped by the fact I just keep stumbling into camps with many and varied super-mutant types (the fucking suicide bombers can get to fucking fuck) or even just loads of raiders wearing fucking power armour exo-skeletons! I'm not sure whether I just need to do something else to level up a bit or plough some (any!) time into weapon crafting or if this is just the game now, but either way it was a frustrating and not entirely enjoyable few hours. I'm also becoming pretty suspicious of the quality of the quests in general. Every single thing I've done now has been a very minor variant on 'go to location, shoot loads of people, instantly finish quest'. Even the one at Trinity Tower that saw me rescuing a guy had a thirty second conversation at the end to explain the backstory and that was it; there's no richness to the characters or interactions which is what really made the last two Fallout games. I really hope the main quest raises the level of this stuff or there's a serious danger of me getting bored.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 17:50 
Esoteric

The devil is in the detail.

Sure, if you went out and cleared areas of ghouls/mutants etc then there isn't much backstory. However, if you delve deeper (read notes, read logs on computer terminals etc) then there is much more of a rich backstory there than I first thought.

Oh also. The DJ is crap. There, I said it, Bethesda should have done what they were rumored to be doing and brought back the guy who did Three Dog.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 19:16 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Sure, if you went out and cleared areas of ghouls/mutants etc then there isn't much backstory. However, if you delve deeper (read notes, read logs on computer terminals etc) then there is much more of a rich backstory there than I first thought.

No, there really isn't, at least not in the areas I've been to. I read everything I come across.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 19:39 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
I had a really shitty session last night. I'm just following the missions that the Minute Man guy in Sanctuary is giving me plus following up on any radio signals I come across during my travels, and last night every single mission I tried out or location I explored saw me getting utterly murdered all to shit. My initial encounters with super-mutants went pretty well, partially due to me being flush with energy weapon ammo, but now I'm back to normal guns and getting my ass handed to me. Not helped by the fact I just keep stumbling into camps with many and varied super-mutant types (the fucking suicide bombers can get to fucking fuck) or even just loads of raiders wearing fucking power armour exo-skeletons! I'm not sure whether I just need to do something else to level up a bit or plough some (any!) time into weapon crafting or if this is just the game now, but either way it was a frustrating and not entirely enjoyable few hours. I'm also becoming pretty suspicious of the quality of the quests in general. Every single thing I've done now has been a very minor variant on 'go to location, shoot loads of people, instantly finish quest'. Even the one at Trinity Tower that saw me rescuing a guy had a thirty second conversation at the end to explain the backstory and that was it; there's no richness to the characters or interactions which is what really made the last two Fallout games. I really hope the main quest raises the level of this stuff or there's a serious danger of me getting bored.

The bad guys level up as you do. You need to mod your guns, buy better ones or hope you stumble across a good one somebody dropped. I struggled at the beginning, clearing places of Raiders when my best weapon was a pipe rifle that did 26 damage... First trip to a weapons bench and I walked away with a rifle that did something like 64 damage. Still not hugely impressive but so, so much better than what I had moments earlier. I then got the gun nut perk and now I can kill most things I come across before they kill me.

The boy has a shot gun that does 195 damage, he had to mod that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:01 
flis wrote:

The bad guys level up as you do. You need to mod your guns, buy better ones or hope you stumble across a good one somebody dropped. I struggled at the beginning, clearing places of Raiders when my best weapon was a pipe rifle that did 26 damage... First trip to a weapons bench and I walked away with a rifle that did something like 64 damage. Still not hugely impressive but so, so much better than what I had moments earlier. I then got the gun nut perk and now I can kill most things I come across before they kill me.

The boy has a shot gun that does 195 damage, he had to mod that.

There's certain areas where the raiders are always low levels, I'm up in the 40s now, but they're one shot kill on a raider, a legendary one is 2 or 3 there, the game kinda guides you along the way to places that are about your level I've found.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 14:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Stupid Brahmin.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 16:46 
Esoteric

Mmm, yummy scrummy cores.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 18:14 
Excellent Member

I killed a feral ghoul the other day and he had three fusion cores on him, which was unexpected.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:17 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
I killed a feral ghoul the other day and he had three fusion cores on him, which was unexpected.

Yeah it's not been uncommon for me to find four at once in a drawer or something.

Only read on once you have entered the institute !

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Well a day of happiness (I found my son) but a day of disappointment also. Firstly I had already guessed he would be older than me so that came as no surprise. However, finding out he was a complete dick and a liar made my piss boil so I decided to tell him to fuck off and went off with the BOS. The great part is I get to play with Prime again, yay ! I thought the Madison Li/ten years after FO3 thing really tied the two games together.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Okay, the settlement building in this is immense. Sanctuary now has a floating castle above it that's about the size of Megaton. I'm now desperately running around finding all the other settlements so I can satisfy my need for delicious, delicious steel.

It is a bit of a pain in the arse trying to work out which of your settlers does what, but actually the only thing you really need to have settlers assigned to is food (and later on, shops) so it's not a massive bother. I did also discover the handy town bell which brings all the settlers together making it easier to find one to send off on trade routes. I do wish they'd included a settler management screen that showed all the settlers and what they were assigned to, that would get rid of my one major bugbear.

Would also be nice if you could trash all the existing buildings too, clear some ground space.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:36 
JohnCoffey wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Yeah it's not been uncommon for me to find four at once in a drawer or something.

Only read on once you have entered the institute !

Well a day of happiness (I found my son) but a day of disappointment also. Firstly I had already guessed he would be older than me so that came as no surprise. However, finding out he was a complete dick and a liar made my piss boil so I decided to tell him to fuck off and went off with the BOS. The great part is I get to play with Prime again, yay ! I thought the Madison Li/ten years after FO3 thing really tied the two games together.

End game spoilers here JC!!!!!!!!! (But same side so read once you're done)
I finished the BoS questline last night and was awesome seeing Liberty Prime stomping through town taking out Behomoths out no bother. He just stomps around the airport now not saying anything :( I was sad that you had to take out the Railroad as I saw nothing wrong with them, even though they liked synths. Next time I think I might side with them instead as the BoS seemed more assholey than in other games, especially because of Maxson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Attachment:
krjqM8E.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:44 
Esoteric

Wow, your character has the most impressive hooter!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:44 
INFINITE POWAH

Charlie Sheen!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 16:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Give Piper a flame thrower and she immediately becomes an A1 certifiable crazy pyro girl. There! There's a thing! I'm gonna burn the thing! Then all the other things!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Quote:
Schramm says the company’s new strategy of officially announcing Fallout 4 after four years of development and then shipping it five months later

As strategies go, this seems like it has a rather limited lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 14:35 
Esoteric

Only read if you have completed the main story and seen the ending..

So what do I do now? The Brotherhood made some waffle about there still being lots to do but have now fallen silent. I sent Shaun to the truck stop and he never appeared. I went back to see Danse and told him to come with me but got messed up by the BOS so I guess that one's out. I had to reload a save game and do a load of stuff again because of that.

I also had an Eyebot (the first one I have seen) fly over telling me about a job and a marker was placed on my map.. Maybe I should try that out?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 14:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

How many hours in and what level are you, JC? Out of interest, purely wondering at what point you went through the main quest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 16:06 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
How many hours in and what level are you, JC? Out of interest, purely wondering at what point you went through the main quest.

Steam says 35 hours but I played it for about seven hours before I ran it on Steam (I installed it on Steam, then loaded my save game). So I would say about 42, possibly more.

However, do note that I probably "wasted" about ten hours doing never ending side quests. I did this for a few reasons, but mainly because A: they were sending me to new places so it got me exploring B: because I was tired of running out of ammo and stimpaks so I decided to scrounge C: I wanted more cells. Plus of course I was leveling up like a mad man, I'm currently at level 40.

I've seen others achieve the same in around 30 hours or so. I would have "gone in" sooner but whenever I tried I was always short of the right components and scrap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 23:18 
I think I was about 60 or so hours when I finished the main quest. There's a few side quests I haven't done. Didn't do any of the institute stuff and very little of the railroad. The whole minutemen, this settlement needs help, this settlement needs the same help got a bit repetitive over time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 23:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I...oh for goodness' sake. Piper! Put that down! Right now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 23:32 
I found Curie just picked up every single fucking thing she found on people. I found her with about 6 laser rifles for some reason and a shit tonne of shotguns and yet she still used her fists to take on Mirelurk Hunters.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next