Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:06 

I really don't like the guy who does the radio. Even "Mr. New Vegas" was better, and he never appeared as a character you could actually talk to.
Also, Cait is annoying. I take a longer way around because I can see a "Glowing Deathclaw", and she goes running right at it, eager to fight....
Other than that though, it's great! :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

First game breaking bug found, annoyingly. Fairly late main plot spoilers

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I was working for the institute and infiltrating them for the railroad. Got to the point where you have to go and warn Desdemona that the Brotherhood have found their HQ and are going to attack - but Desdemona won't talk to me. Did plenty of research but there doesn't seem to be any way around it unless you're on PC and can use console commands.
In the end I basically just had to go to the institute and start shooting people - which makes you an enemy and immediately jumps the main plot line ahead. Annoyed that I think it means I've missed a chunk of the most critical plot stuff :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 23:07 
Esoteric

Yeah I've had that a few times and have had to use the console to advance. In one case to get to the quest I had to turn off clipping and walk through walls.

I managed to put in about five hours yesterday and about the same today. I've just been wandering around unveiling buildings and landmarks and I must say quests are very thin on the ground now. Just uncovered the last of the vaults and decided to call it a day before going in too deep.

I must say though at 1080p this game looks really rough. Thankfully on my new TV PC I have an Nvidia GPU and have changed the res using DSR to 1440p.

After playing at 4k since day one 1080p looks positively poor. I can really see why so many people were complaining now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:45 
Excellent Member

Running around with Piper and came to a quest where I had to talk to a relatively busty singer at one of the bars in the game. She asked me what I thought of the show and, while looking at the woman's boobs, Piper completely interrupted to say, "Yeah, that was a great set. Um, by which I mean a great set of songs. Yeah. *cough* Is it getting hot in here?" I laughed my ass off, but was then instantly annoyed that "Piper hated that" when I tried to flirt with the singer. I was only doing it because I thought Piper was into it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:28 
INFINITE POWAH

That's fairly accurate of the likely response, mind. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:27 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
Running around with Piper and came to a quest where I had to talk to a relatively busty singer at one of the bars in the game. She asked me what I thought of the show and, while looking at the woman's boobs, Piper completely interrupted to say, "Yeah, that was a great set. Um, by which I mean a great set of songs. Yeah. *cough* Is it getting hot in here?" I laughed my ass off, but was then instantly annoyed that "Piper hated that" when I tried to flirt with the singer. I was only doing it because I thought Piper was into it!

Pop back later. She's erm, up for it....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:35 
Gogmagog

Does anyone else have a 'sarcastic' dialogue option or is tbis due to CHAR being 1?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 13:32 
Esoteric

We do yes :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 0:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I wonder why they say Boston all the time in this, but they don't appear to be able to say Massachusetts?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 15:47 
Esoteric

Well I think I'm about done now after about 75 hours. I have been finding the odd quest here and there but it's really starting to become quite quiet now. Still want to play it through again siding with the Institute but unlike Fallout 3 I don't feel compelled to do it right now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:23 
Rude Belittler

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
I wonder why they say Boston all the time in this, but they don't appear to be able to say Massachusetts?

It appears that in the Fallout universe, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (the state's official name) is referred to as the Commonwealth part of the name. In our universe they just call it Massachusetts.

See the Commonwealth Institute of Technology, CIT, in our world MIT.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well yeah, I know :) What I was wondering was why

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 13:27 
Gogmagog

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
Well yeah, I know :) What I was wondering was why

I like to think that it is because after The War and The Bombs, a period of instability followed. Then, as society formed again, the tried to rebuild it as it was before The War. Lacking proper reference material, they only had brochures and magazines from pre war times. This is why it is all so weird as things were lost in translation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 13:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, but CIT dates back to pre-war.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 13:39 
Gogmagog

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
Yeah, but CIT dates back to pre-war.

<handwaves> you prefer my version

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 14:04 
Esoteric

It's either Bethesda trying to make it cool or they approached the MIT and were told to bugger off.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 15:46 

Isn't it supposed to be an alternative timeline anyway? With all the 50s fashions and stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 15:58 
Excellent Member

One of the loading screens texts I saw yesterday said that it was renamed from The Commonwealth of Massachusetts to simply The Commonwealth after the great war of 2077; but it didn't say why. I was too slow with my phone to get a picture of it and forgot completely about the Share function on the PS4.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Fort Craster is coming along quite nicely

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

There's not much steel left anywhere else in the Commonwealth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 16:28 
Esoteric

Well I think I am finally done now. I've wandered the map top to bottom and aside from a couple of large Easter eggs
Like the USS Constitution quests
I am struggling badly to find anything else. So it would seem that the "I've been playing for over 400 hours and haven't even got close to finishing it" rubbish that one of the devs came out with was like, total rubbish. It is longer as a main game of Fallout 4 tbh, though being green and all would have made it last much longer than I could probably go through it now.

After finding out several secrets during the game (spoilers I won't mention) I do regret not siding with The Institute, so at least one more playthrough is definitely on the cards. However I think I will take a break from it now and play other stuff until the DLC comes out. Then play that, then start again siding with The Institute.

Overall a good game. I would say I got about 80 hours out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:46 
Gogmagog

Swashbuckling Redshirt wrote:
Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
It's the exact positioning of the letters also. It tells you how many letters in the word you chose are in the exact same position in the correct word.

Ah. Not with INT 1 it doesb't, seems. I shall screens hot.

This is what it like.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:48 
Excellent Member

I'm currently doing some general exploring and Minutemen missions because I want to work my way through the various available companions a bit before I have to start permanently pissing off factions. So Curie and I are sent to clear out a new potential settlement and we wander in expecting some feral ghouls or raiders or whatever. Nope, we get a fucking mirelurk queen and a couple of legendary glowing mirelurks right to the face. Fuck sake Preston, you could've given us some bloody warning! I had to go back home and get out my Fatman for the first time in the game, and even then it took me a couple of tries because there was no cover at all. So, yeah, Preston's a fucking dick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 13:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
It's the exact positioning of the letters also. It tells you how many letters in the word you chose are in the exact same position in the correct word.

Ah. Not with INT 1 it doesb't, seems. I shall screens hot.

This is what it like.

Yeah, that's normal. So 2 of the letters in LOONY are correct, and they're in the same place in the actual word - so your next guess YOUNG is probably correct

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 13:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If anyone's looking for a settlement to do some real decent building work on, there's a massive island southeast of the Castle you can use. It's easily the best settlement area in the game, mainly because it's huge. Spoilers for clearing it:

there's a boat near the south tip, go there and flick the switch inside it. That triggers a Mirelurk queen, but if you then run to the metal hut in the middle of the island and flick a second switch, it turns on a special siren which drives all the mirelurks off the island, then the settlement is yours.

Oh, and if you send a supply line there, send one of the robots from gray garden. Learned the hard way that normal people drown :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 18:36 
Excellent Member

Aaaand we're done. Main story completed and all side quests I could find done as well. The only thing I didn't completely rinse were the companion side quests; I only did Cait's, Piper's, Nick's and Curie's. I basically spent too much time with Piper and ran out of stuff I could do to get my rating up with Macready. I could painfully do it by grinding Minutemen bullshit as I did for Nick but I just can't take any more of that.

There's no doubt that it's A Good Game by any measure, as evidenced by the hilarious number of hours I sank into it (which, unfortunately, I don't think the PS4 will report to you anywhere will it?). It's definitely not the best Fallout game though. While the combat does feel better outside VATS it weirdly also makes it feel more generic and FPS-y so that's a double edged sword. And the main questline just didn't have much weight to it so the end of the game seemed to flash past as a huge anti-climax. In fact very few of the quests in general were very memorable and even the usual stand out--the vaults--were of little interest this time round. At the end of Fallout 3 I was scrabbling around in the wasteland looking for more locations to discover for the pure joy of exploration, but this time I've left great chunks of the map unexplored because I'm just not bothered and that can't be a good sign. The crafting stuff was a bit annoying because having to care about fucking junk is stupid and the settlement building stuff is stupid but, to be fair, easy to largely ignore.

I'm left with one spoilerific question now I think back to the ending:

I sided with the railroad and just before we transferred out of the Institute the child synth version of Shaun rocked up apparently now convinced I was it's father. You're offered the choice to ditch it or take it with you and I took it along thinking there might be some kind of payoff but nothing happened after that. Have I missed a conversation or something here?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 18:40 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
If anyone's looking for a settlement to do some real decent building work on, there's a massive island southeast of the Castle you can use. It's easily the best settlement area in the game, mainly because it's huge. Spoilers for clearing it:

there's a boat near the south tip, go there and flick the switch inside it. That triggers a Mirelurk queen, but if you then run to the metal hut in the middle of the island and flick a second switch, it turns on a special siren which drives all the mirelurks off the island, then the settlement is yours.

I found this today but my experience was that
the siren just made the mirelurks really annoying to deal with. They'd actually hang around on the island but as soon as you took a shot at them they'd run into the sea, before eventually wandering back. I wanted to actually kill them off so getting them to stay still and be shot was actually harder with the siren on than off. The queen wasn't a problem because there's a Fatman in a crate in the boat which triggers her so I just switched to that and blew her tits off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:04 
Hello Hello Hello

I did enjoy watching this:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 16:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Wow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:46 
Excellent Member

Details of the upcoming DLC packs have been announced. I couldn't give less of a shit about Automatron or Wasteland Workshop but Far Harbor looks pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:48 
Esoteric

Aww FFS so only one is actual story?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:49 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Aww FFS so only one is actual story?

Only one is proper story, yeah. The Automotron one sounds like it might have a bit of a plot to it but I suspect it'll just be the bare minimum required to set up the robot crafting shite.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:04 
Esoteric

£20 for the story one too? are they having a giraffe? They were £7.99 each before.

TBH I'm amazed I managed to slog through this game without losing my focus. Not sure I can endure any more really I think 70 hours was enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:55 
Excellent Member

The Automatron DLC comes out a week today (the 22nd) and they've released a story trailer for it:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/14/fall ... er-robots/

I would link directly to it but I can't YouTube at work. It actually looks more interesting than I was expecting, though I'm still concerned that it'll just be a load of crafting with a slight plot hung on it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:45 
Esoteric

Wasn't The Mechanist in Fallout 3? wasn't he the guy who battled with the Ant Queen?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:53 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Wasm't The Mechanist in Fallout 3? wasn't he the guy who battled with the Ant Queen?

It was The AntAgonizer rather than the ant queen but yeah, you're right that the other 'hero' involved was The Mechanist. Huh, I wonder if there'll be a connection? I'm guessing it'll end up that the guy in F4 will have been somehow inspired by the F3 guy.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Superhuman_Gambit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 13:04 
Excellent Member

There's also this: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Mechanist_%28Fallout_4%29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 13:28 
Esoteric

Huh, well I'll be. That must have gone straight over my head in FO4. Mind you I will confess to playing Fallout 4 far less than Fallout 3.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 14:10 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Huh, well I'll be. That must have gone straight over my head in FO4. Mind you I will confess to playing Fallout 4 far less than Fallout 3.

I think you'd only have noticed that if you paid really close attention to some of the Silver Shroud backstory stuff which I confess I didn't so I don't remember any of the stuff in that article either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 14:42 
Esoteric

I did the Silver Shroud. I remember laughing at it, just don't remember The Mechanist being brought up. It must have just whooshed.

Now that I know it's a quest (I'm still not interested in crafting) I will probably get it. I was all about to start a new game using a female any way so I may as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 15:35 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
I did the Silver Shroud. I remember laughing at it, just don't remember The Mechanist being brought up. It must have just whooshed.

I know you did it but it's never brought up per se, you'd need to listen pretty carefully to the old Silver Shroud radio show to hear this stuff. I only listened to the radio specifically when waiting for instructions during the quest line so I never heard any of it myself at the time. The full details are here:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_Shroud_Radio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 13:14 
Esoteric

Apparently the DLC is a bit trumpy and buggy. Well, this is according to Eurogamer. I see I can get the season pass on a code site for £25 so I think I am going to do that, rather than buying them individually.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 13:38 
Excellent Member

I put a few hours into it a few days ago. One of the unmarked sub quests did bug out completely on me and aside from that it's the usual Fallout 4 stuff: go to a place, kill all the people there, pick up a thing, move to the next place. It's only a couple of hours long so it won't outstay it's welcome but I don't think it'll amount to much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 15:22 
Hello pretty, pretty

Finished main storyline a few weeks back. Regret not just killing everyone when I had the chance.

Find dialogue options from my character are incredibly weak considering her SPECIAL stack. I like to put the special in SPECIAL with INT1, because randomly having the option to yell out gems like "ICE CREAM!" is delightful. The whole cinematic thing just falls a bit flat for me :(

Having gone from a mild Minecraft addiction straight into F4 though I have to say I love tinkering with Sanctuary. It's the one thing that's tempting me with Automatron as there seems to be crafting goodies plus extra trade routes. One main quest doesn't really cut it.

Twitch | Twitter | Steam | PSN | Switch: 4691-7706-7792

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 15:43 
Excellent Member

The Great Tyrant wrote:
Having gone from a mild Minecraft addiction straight into F4 though I have to say I love tinkering with Sanctuary. It's the one thing that's tempting me with Automatron as there seems to be crafting goodies plus extra trade routes. One main quest doesn't really cut it.

I thought the only crafting stuff it added was the ability to create/tinker with robots? I don't do more than the bare minimum of settlement crafting in Fallout 4 so I wouldn't necessarily know, but certainly the only new stuff it flagged up during my playthrough of Automatron was robot related.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 16:53 
Hello pretty, pretty

Maybe it was my wishful thinking :c

Twitch | Twitter | Steam | PSN | Switch: 4691-7706-7792

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:37 
Esoteric

Got the season pass today for £21. Have activated and installed the DLC, will start playing once my new monitor arrives.

Sorry if I missed it but how long does it last, Bamba?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:05 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Got the season pass today for £21. Have activated and installed the DLC, will start playing once my new monitor arrives.

Sorry if I missed it but how long does it last, Bamba?

A few hours; there's only a couple of dungeons and some fetch quests involved. You need to build/upgrade robots at a couple of points and I didn't have the parts I needed so went for a wander to get them, I'd have been through it even quicker if I happened to have the materials to hand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:18 
Gogmagog

20 hours in and I'm nowhere near enjoying this as much as Fallout 3. It all seems a bit watered down. Which I feel bad about saying in a way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 17:36 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
20 hours in and I'm nowhere near enjoying this as much as Fallout 3. It all seems a bit watered down. Which I feel bad about saying in a way.

I just did the Silver Shroud quest and I did enjoy that. The emails and stuff are good in the game, I think it's just the dialogue choices that are not good.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next