Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 14:27 
Esoteric

NervousPete wrote:
Also, fuck play-dead feral ghouls.

Yeah they're sneaky little buggers. I love how the crawl through vents and holes in the walls now too :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 22:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

I have played this for a few hours now. Having never played any Fallout before any fun references were lost on me.

It's OK. I'm thinking of it as basically Skyrim with a different interface, but I'm not utterly sucked in. I'll probably come back to it for a couple of hours at a time and see if it grows on me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 22:37 
Excellent Member

Skyrim is actually Fallout with a different interface.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 22:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

One thing I'm not clear on is where I store my shit to use in the settlement. Do I just store it in the workbench? Is that where the stuff goes if I'm in workbench mode and scrap old stuff on the ground? None of that bit is very well explained.

What do I do with the thousands of pointless guns I've got? Can I scrap them?

That's where it loses me a bit. You have to spend a really long time standing still playing with menus and options trying to work out what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 22:47 
Excellent Member

It really doesn't explain itself at all well, and that's coming from someone who played the last two Fallout games. Hell, it literally took me ten minutes to work out how to take the fucking power armour off after you're first given it, and I spent ages moving a new shelter around rather than putting a fucking bed inside it as I was trying to do. The whole thing with building and upgrading settlements is new for F4 and thus badly understood unfortunately, though I imagine other people here will have spent more time with it than I have and be better able to help. The reason I'm posting this is just to say that if you feel like something isn't clear it probably isn't just you, it's probably never been explained because Bethesda. Personally I'm currently ignoring that whole aspect and just playing the game because I don't give a shit and, in its defence, I don't expect to be penalised for that approach. The previous games were pretty good for just letting you get in about it in which ever way you felt like which is a massive part of the appeal. Well, you've played Skyrim so you know what I mean; apologies if that's all terribly patronising.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 22:54 
Legendary Boogeyman

Nah that's fine. When I first played Skyrim I was perfectly content to spend the first four hours collecting plants and flapping around doing bugger all, but this time around it feels a bit grindy from the start.

I had to google about how to holster the weapon too. I'm sure I'll pick up the rest with a bit more play.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 22:59 
Excellent Member

RE: guns; yes, you can scrap the ones you don't want for resources to potentially upgrade other stuff. You need to go a weapons workbench and do everything there; I think there's one at the Red Rocket garage at the start where you find Dogmeat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 23:06 
Excellent Member

Heh, weapon holstering I could only do because some mothballed muscle memory apparently knew which button to press (and that you needed to hold that button down). There's even a load screen tip informing you that holstering your weapon let's you move faster but they don't bother to tell you how to actually fucking do it. In that regard it's a total mess to be honest. Assuming it stands up to the last two Fallout games though it'll be worth persevering.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 23:07 
Gogmagog

ELECTRIC STUN BATON MOTHERFUCKERS. SYNTH THIS SKIN JOB.

Serrated switchblade hits for 39 in other news.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:44 

Bamba wrote:

To be fair, they're both Oblivion with different interfaces.

Bamba wrote:
Hell, it literally took me ten minutes to work out how to take the fucking power armour off after you're first given it
Lots of people have said this. The game very definitely says "hold X to exit the power armour" the first time you get in it, but I guess people miss that in the excitement.

Having said that, you're quite right that there's a lot you have to puzzle out. I think that's part of the charm, myself, but then I love these games. Danielle is thinking of playing it and I think I'd better make sure I'm around the first few hours to smooth over the rough edges.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:47 

Had my first experience of the weather system; I fast travelled to $REDACTED only to be dropped into a radioactive acid rain storm. Goggled at it for a minute until my rad counter started clicking like mad, at which point I legged it to cover.

I've also seen some super spooky heavy fog.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:49 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Which was, of course, Morrowind, for the most part.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Dave wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Which was really just The Elder Scrolls: Arena.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:05 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Which was really just The Elder Scrolls: Arena.

Except not really, by all accounts Arena was fairly different from the rest of the series. (It would, afterall, be odd for the game to not change given the advances in hardware. It has been fairly static since Morrowind, complaints about console memort sizes aside)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Stop killing the joke, Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:20 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Stop killing the joke, Dave.

You missed out Daggerfall.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

In many ways it's a basic clone of Transport Tycoon, with a different interface.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:42 
Gogmagog

I had ace fun last night: I teamed up with Buzz Lightyear and we went and smashed some stuff up for <reasons>. Then the PS4 overheated just as I was selling off my loot.

The robot Butler is quite amusing to have around.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:07 
Esoteric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 13:30 

Has anyone had any joy getting Fallout 4 to stream to another device via Steam In-Home Streaming? Whenever I try, it opens the launcher and when I click Play it quits back to desktop after a few seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 13:49 
Esoteric

Has any one used their phone with the game yet? I just haven't gotten around to it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 14:42 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

JohnCoffey wrote:
Has any one used their phone with the game yet? I just haven't gotten around to it.

The pip-boy app ?

Yes I had a play around with it last night - not sure how practical it would be though

And as for streaming - I've not tried but the vita streaming from the PS4 is supposed to work well

http://kotaku.com/heres-fallout-4-runni ... 1736594799

(specific changes to the control method to make it work better for the Vita)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 15:08 
Legendary Boogeyman

I put the app on my tablet. Aside from the local map always being broken, it's somewhat useful as a second screen for the map that shows you where you are in real time. Kinda handy.

What should I be doing for armour when I'm not suited up? The only thing I've done so far is lined my suit and I'm wearing slightly improved raider leathers on top.

Also trying to get up to the rank so I can put my own shops in Sanctuary. Can't get Leader 2 until L16, urgh!

Due to a slight misunderstanding of how the perk system worked, I have maxed out basic intelligence. Turns out that since this will increase the XP I get for everything going forward, that might have actually been a good early investment?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 15:14 
Gogmagog

I think you'll make that back quickly. On intelligence, I am fairly sure my person should not be able to read, let alone hack terminals .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 15:25 
INFINITE POWAH

So, I'm currently with Buzz Lightyear too, for [reasons], as I was heading to Diamond City and turned back for [other reasons] and bumped into him.

I'm sticking around the top left hand quarter of the map for now, until I sort out some better weaponry. Are there any good traders in that area? I'm very short of ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 15:27 
Gogmagog

I have only found one general trader in a diner so far, but I haven't ventured far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 15:27 
Gogmagog

Did you think Buzz Lightyear sounded like George Clooney?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 15:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

OK.

I just discovered VATS.

Unless I'm really stupid (possible), this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the intro or starting out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 17:02 
Excellent Member

I thought VATS had been mentioned before you leave the Vault, when you come across the first lot of Radroaches? Maybe I'm just assuming it had been...

Modding some of my guns made the game significantly less of a trauma, took me a couple of perk upgrades before I realised I should probably go for Gun Nut. Like, I was genuinely struggling up against a particular group of Raiders and then a couple of upgrades later, it was a lot more manageable. I feel like I have loads of ammo, other than .308 but that's okay because I only use that in emergencies.

The trophy notifications covering up in-game hints or other information annoys me sometimes. Then it's gone and you never see it again!

I also think there must be a better way of scraping junk you transfer to your workshop, like a 'scrap all' option. Is there one? At the moment, I drop everything on the floor in a workshop area and then scrap it individually. Which is quite tedious.

I also can't figure out how to make more lights come on in a shack I built.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 17:08 

flis wrote:
I also think there must be a better way of scraping junk you transfer to your workshop, like a 'scrap all' option. Is there one? At the moment, I drop everything on the floor in a workshop area and then scrap it individually. Which is quite tedious.
Go to (any) workbench, hit Transfer, hit the Transfer All Junk option. Once it's in the workbench, if you go to construct anything that needs scrap, it'll automatically break down items from the junk pile, popping up a little dialog to tell you what it's going to break down as you do each upgrade.

Possible downside: it might 'helpfully' scrap some junk that's worth a lot of caps. So maybe pick out anything really valuable and take it back out of the workbench.

Quote:
Build a generator and put the light on the wall (I imagine you got this bit.) Then add a conduit to the same wall, and wire the generator to the conduit. The conduit will conduct power to any lights on the same wall. This is completely non-obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 20:45 
I forgot about this - how vain

Currently installing this. Taking a billion years. But I sure am special.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 20:51 
I forgot about this - how vain

Ha, amazingly my ps4 wanted to turn off due to not being used during the install. It's madness they didn't follow the normal ps4 install approach.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 22:42 
Legendary Boogeyman

I went over to the right hand side bit of the map and was pretty comprehensively killed by many bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 22:56 
INFINITE POWAH

Mali - yes, he does rather, doesn't he?

I love this game. Unexpected storms, fog, feral ghouls...

I need to stick some points into whatever it is that gets me better barterage, as the prices for even nifty synth weapons are piss poor.

Is it just me, or are there no skill points anymore? I'm not sure how I feel about this. simpler is usually not better. MORE NUMBERS NEEDED.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:28 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
flis wrote:
Go to (any) workbench, hit Transfer, hit the Transfer All Junk option. Once it's in the workbench, if you go to construct anything that needs scrap, it'll automatically break down items from the junk pile, popping up a little dialog to tell you what it's going to break down as you do each upgrade.

Gah, I thought it should do that when I first started playing but I must've belmed in some way as I got the impression that totally didn't work.

Quote:
Possible downside: it might 'helpfully' scrap some junk that's worth a lot of caps. So maybe pick out anything really valuable and take it back out of the workbench.

Yeah, I sort through my stuff pretty regularly and stash it in a safe under my bed so if I need to sell stuff, it's available for me. There's a trader pretty much resident in my settlement who is always fully loaded with rare scrap so I do a lot of business with them, I wonder who is buying all the shitty pipe guns I keep selling...

Quote:
Quote:
Build a generator and put the light on the wall (I imagine you got this bit.) Then add a conduit to the same wall, and wire the generator to the conduit. The conduit will conduct power to any lights on the same wall. This is completely non-obvious.

Tried this last night, it worked, cheers Doccy G :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 13:12 
Esoteric

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I went over to the right hand side bit of the map and was pretty comprehensively killed by many bad things.

I'm at level 23 or so and I thought I was good now. I'm not struggling too much with mutants, raiders or ghouls. However, I wandered off yesterday somewhere down the bottom right side of the map and came across a Gunner camp and got splattered all over the place. There were about 30 gunners, as well as two named gunners wearing power armor. Three times I loaded and tried again but nope, not a chance (even using my Fat Man out of desperation).

I won't be going back there any time soon !

Chris - it seems they have removed the "skill skills" if that makes any sense. What I mean is lockpicking, science and so on and have replaced them with three part perks. They have added to them though, for example if you get all of the lockpicking ones your bobby pins never break. You also need to keep upgrading the regular skills (charisma etc).

I tried the Pip Boy app on my Iphone 4 last night and success ! as pointed out earlier, it will be a great way to watch the map on the fly as you are searching for locations. The only downside? I couldn't get my Iphone to stand on its side so I can't see it easily. So, I simply ordered one of these, will be ideal :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201428286942? ... EBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 13:47 
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Go to (any) workbench, hit Transfer, hit the Transfer All Junk option.

I wouldn't transfer all of it. The pre war money and the cigarette cartons/boxes are worth a decent amount of caps. I usually just sell them instead. You can also mark what you're looking for, you want this mod..hit (R1 I think it is on the PS4) and when you're looking at junk in the commonwealth it'll come up with a magnifying glass beside the stuff you're after. Pretty useful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:24 

nickachu wrote:
I wouldn't transfer all of it. The pre war money and the cigarette cartons/boxes are worth a decent amount of caps. I usually just sell them instead.
I need to start doing this:

1) transfer all junk
2) go to the My Junk tab in the workbench
3) click L3 to sort that list by value
4) transfer just the highest value items back into my inventory
5) store those somewhere else, or take them to sell them immediately

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:28 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Do you actually need caps? I genuinely can't think of an rpg that I haven't had way too much money in, sitting out things like that would help the realism, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:36 
I've found yes.... well I generally trade stuff so that I always make money from the trades, but I run short of ammo fairly regularly for the guns I use so need to stock up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:40 
Gogmagog

Bobbyaro wrote:
Do you actually need caps? I genuinely can't think of an rpg that I haven't had way too much money in, sitting out things like that would help the realism, imo.

CAPS IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:41 

I refuse to believe you run out of ammo. Do you run out of flash grenades also?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:48 
Gogmagog

Bobbyaro wrote:

SMASH MCGRAB DOES NOT NEED AMMO SMASH BASH HASH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 15:03 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:

.308 ammo is the one I come across least but the gun is over powered for the type of enemies I come across at the moment so I'd feel hard of using it to kill Raiders, for example. Closest I came to running out of ammo was when I took on a location full of Super Mutants, and that was because I didn't fancy giving them enough time to find me and kill me!

I've yet to worry about running out of caps but I remember from previous Fallout games that the items available for sale get a lot more expensive and rare the further through the levels you progress.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 15:07 
Esoteric

There are two or three very repetitive seemingly never ending quests. In those quests you are sent out to clear areas of Raiders, Mutants ETC (one is with the Brotherhood, the other are all farms). Any way, I have found tons of ammo when doing that so haven't really needed to buy much. At one point I was using the combat shotgun with the bloody mess perk and was finding shotgun ammo a little scarce so did buy some, but now I have switched to an upgraded assault rifle and it shares the same ammo as turrets, so I seem to be doing OK.

Mind you be warned, that's only because I am putting in some serious spade work doing these repetitive quests. The way I figure it is they are getting me out there exploring and finding new locations, which will make the game far easier later on :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 15:10 

Bobbyaro wrote:

It seems that I need /you/ in that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 15:28 
Legendary Boogeyman

I have retaken the castle. Enormous and stressful trek across the map to get there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 15:35 
Excellent Member

Youngest boy has been playing this and has collected 16 sets of Power Armour, 15 of which are pink. He's also collected all the Bobbleheads and is on the last quest of the main story. He says the side quests are boring, I told him that's probably because he's ignored them until the end! Kids these days...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 17:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I might have bought this. And a PS4.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 17:37 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
I might have bought this. And a PS4.

Welcome to the cool club.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next