Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 13:48 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Surely Cape Cod isn't on that Fallout map at all?

ETA: in that the F4 map stops way north of Cape Cod and the bay you see there is just the area around the city of Boston itself.

I've tried to work it out but I don't think the map looks like any part of it really.

I think it does match up relatively well assuming you allow for landscape changes from a nuclear war etc. If you zoom in a bit on a map of the Boston bay area the Fallout map has Quincy Bay and Pleasure Bay and that kind of thing. Although the big island there doesn't match up with any of the ones in that area in real life (i.e. Thomson, Spectacle and Long Island).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 13:51 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

ETA: in that the F4 map stops way north of Cape Cod and the bay you see there is just the area around the city of Boston itself.

I've tried to work it out but I don't think the map looks like any part of it really.

I think it does match up relatively well assuming you allow for landscape changes from a nuclear war etc. If you zoom in a bit on a map of the Boston bay area the Fallout map has Quincy Bay and Pleasure Bay and that kind of thing. Although the big island there doesn't match up with any of the ones in that area in real life (i.e. Thomson, Spectacle and Long Island).

Except from what we've been told, Boston largely escaped the worst of the bombing. It shouldn't change that much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 13:54 

Well I guess the simplest thing in the world would have been to take a map of Boston and start plonking stuff on it but I guess instead what they've done is taken their time and made it playable with some inevitable concessions which could upset the 0.01% of players who are familiar with the actual place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 13:55 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Well I guess the simplest thing in the world would have been to take a map of Boston and start plonking stuff on it but I guess instead what they've done is taken their time and made it playable with some inevitable concessions which could upset the 0.01% of players who are familiar with the actual place.

Indeed. I did mention this earlier.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:09 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
I'll just leave this here...

Dribble... :luv:

Mine is coming tomorrow, DPD I believe. Only bummer is DPD always turn up between 3-5pm :(

I am going to have to have a morning of ignorance tomorrow :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:09 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:

Cool! Mine has not arrived yet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Could be Peddocks Island? I'm looking at Google Maps right now and the whole thing is (to my eye) really pretty damned close once you work out the scale.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:14 

I don't know why, but I'm just not excited for this at all. Given my love of post-apocalyptic fiction and media, and how much I enjoyed 3 and New Vegas, it surprises me that I just can't summon up the urge to buy this.

I think New Vegas has spoiled me, and I'm fully expecting this to be a return to the Bethesda style of story-telling rather than the Obsidian style.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:15 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Review embargo (and the embargo of the embargo) are now up

Gamespot : 9/10

Polygon : 9.5/10

IGN : 9.5/10

Eurogamer : Recommended

Videogamer : 9/10

Push Square : 9/10

God is Geek : 9/10

Jimquisiton : 9.5/10

Game Informer : 9/10

Destructoid : 7.5/10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:18 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Could be Peddocks Island?

Yeah, that's probably the closest in location.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:24 

zaphod79 wrote:
Review embargo (and the embargo of the embargo) are now up
Having skimmed a few, the meta-review seems to be: very much more of the same, still riddled with bugs and glitches, GameByro still sucks, the game is still great. It's unlikely to win over anyone who didn't like the others. GreatIfYouLikedTheOthers/10.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:25 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
I don't know why, but I'm just not excited for this at all. Given my love of post-apocalyptic fiction and media, and how much I enjoyed 3 and New Vegas, it surprises me that I just can't summon up the urge to buy this.

I think New Vegas has spoiled me, and I'm fully expecting this to be a return to the Bethesda style of story-telling rather than the Obsidian style.

I bought Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3. All brand new at full price, didn't manage more than 10-15 hours with any of them.

I have concluded I don't like Bethesda's games very much

Maybe I would have liked New Vegas more. Either way I'm not taking a chance on Fallout 4 ahead of it turning up in a sale.

Plus Bethesda's games always seem to be technically shonky, buggy, with crappy animations and the graphics engine doesn't seem to have got much better over the years either.

EDIT - Or what DocG's meta-review says I suppose! (Which appeared as I was typing.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:30 
Esoteric

Reviews sound good but it's a total mess apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:33 

Hearthly wrote:
Plus Bethesda's games always seem to be technically shonky, buggy, with crappy animations and the graphics engine doesn't seem to have got much better over the years either.

New Vegas wasn't much better bugs-wise, although the story goes that Bethesda were the ones tasked with the QA for New Vegas and also pushed for release on a set date so Obsidian didn't have time to fix anything for release.

The setting (and the main plotline, and even the way side-quests intermingled with it subtly) were so much nicer in New Vegas though, it was incredible.

I read a deconstruction of Fallout 3's setting and plot a few months ago that highlighted how it was just complete and utter shash, and I can't believe I didn't notice it at the time. I enjoyed playing it immensely, but can't go back to it now because after NV it feels like a huge step backwards.

The shonky animations and some of the game design choices don't fill me with confidence for F4. NV introduced skill-based dialogue checks (i.e. if you had speech over a certain level, you were guaranteed to pass) over F3 (and F4s) percentaged based checks.

That just makes so much more sense - if you've poured skill points into a particular skill to raise it up above a certain threshold, making it so that that effort is potentially wasted and locks you out of particular quest branches is stupid IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:40 
Hibernating Druid

Look forward to playing the patched version if I get it for Christmas. I'll be avoiding this thread from now on because you're shit for spoilers :)

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:43 
Esoteric

The best thing about any Fallout game is time. Fallout 3 was initially pretty broken and unfinished. For example if you completed the main game you could not go back, so you had to put off the ending and go back to before the final quest. They fixed it with Broken Steel, allowing you to continue your game.

RE - New Vegas? as I said, the best thing about Fallout games is time in, time spent. New Vegas was more polished, looked nicer and the setting was indeed lovely but it lacked the depth of Fallout 3. Most of the buildings going out of New Vegas itself were either empty or boarded up and there were lots of times where I felt let down. The airport, for example, could have had a story behind it and maybe a side quest but no, it was all locked down and apart from a large Rad Scorpion there was nothing there.

One of the things I loved about Fallout 3 was the ability to wander into these buildings for some respite, only to find they were infested with ghouls or contained something else to side track me like the Moonbeam/Sidney quest.

It took far longer to play through Fallout 3 with all of its DLC than New Vegas. I would assume that it was because Obsidian really didn't get that long to do it. Two years IIRC? The more time they put into quests and fine details the better the game IMO. I also kinda liked the dreariness of Fallout 3 it was definitely far less friendly than New Vegas.

BTW as for New Vegas.. I experienced one major bug when I first started playing. It was a companion bug and they got stuck in the wall and there was nothing you could do about it apart from update the game and start again. IIRC I lost about 17 hours. So it too was buggy and also why Obsidian did not get the bonus from Bethesda that they were counting on (something to do with review % needing to reach 90% but they missed it by about 3%).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:46 

Bamba wrote:

Sorry to have to tell you this, but you won't be able to play that on your PC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:46 
Gogmagog

Low INT, low CHAR, high strength, med perception and endurance and go for melee and explosives. And low luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:47 

Now why on Earth wasn't the image included in my quote? Doesn't make much sense without it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:48 

GazChap wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

New Vegas wasn't much better bugs-wise, although the story goes that Bethesda were the ones tasked with the QA for New Vegas and also pushed for release on a set date so Obsidian didn't have time to fix anything for release.

The setting (and the main plotline, and even the way side-quests intermingled with it subtly) were so much nicer in New Vegas though, it was incredible.

I read a deconstruction of Fallout 3's setting and plot a few months ago that highlighted how it was just complete and utter shash, and I can't believe I didn't notice it at the time. I enjoyed playing it immensely, but can't go back to it now because after NV it feels like a huge step backwards.

The shonky animations and some of the game design choices don't fill me with confidence for F4. NV introduced skill-based dialogue checks (i.e. if you had speech over a certain level, you were guaranteed to pass) over F3 (and F4s) percentaged based checks.

That just makes so much more sense - if you've poured skill points into a particular skill to raise it up above a certain threshold, making it so that that effort is potentially wasted and locks you out of particular quest branches is stupid IMO.

I don't really know if it was technically better or not because NV bored the shit out of me fairly quickly. Perhaps it was playing it too soon after FO3 but something just felt lacking, don't know if it was the writing or the setting or what but it all just felt like a chore and then I stopped and never went back to it. :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:51 
Esoteric

18 FPS maxed out at 4k on a 980ti.

So what fucking chance do I stand then, if that's supposedly optimised.

God, it's a fucking mess. I really, really wished it wouldn't be but even some one as hooked on Fallout games has to admit it's a fucking mess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:53 

From the Eurogamer review:

Eurogamer wrote:
...because the new crafting system means that the detritus that has always been strewn across Fallout maps now has purpose.

Huh, guess they never played NV then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:54 

JohnCoffey wrote:
18 FPS maxed out at 4k on a 980ti.

So what fucking chance do I stand then, if that's supposedly optimised.

God, it's a fucking mess. I really, really wished it wouldn't be but even some one as hooked on Fallout games has to admit it's a fucking mess.

That's on max settings, which probably includes a ridiculous draw distance. Surely it can be relaxed a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:56 
Esoteric

lasermink wrote:
That's on max settings, which probably includes a ridiculous draw distance. Surely it can be relaxed a bit.

I know but it's a five year old engine with a few tweaks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:57 

JohnCoffey wrote:
The airport, for example, could have had a story behind it and maybe a side quest but no, it was all locked down and apart from a large Rad Scorpion there was nothing there.

Are we thinking of the same airport? McCarran International? The one that is the main base and headquarters of the NCR in New Vegas? That had lots of stuff to do inside it?

Quote:
So it too was buggy and also why Obsidian did not get the bonus from Bethesda that they were counting on (something to do with review % needing to reach 90% but they missed it by about 3%).

That's another thing that puts me off Bethesda. They were responsible for the QA on New Vegas and didn't give Obsidian enough time to sort things out, yet still held them to what is frankly an absurd clause in their contract - it was Metacritic review score, which is hardly a good method of reviewing someone's performance. From Engadget:

Engadget wrote:
Such is the case with Obsidian's Fallout: New Vegas contract with Bethesda, wherein the developer only received royalties if the game matched or exceeded an 85 rating on Metacritic. Leaving aside the fact that Metacritic is a woefully unbalanced aggregation of review scores from both vetted and unvetted publications, agreements like this can leave indie studios -- like Obsidian -- in the lurch should that Metacritic score just barely miss the mark.
They scored 84.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:03 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
an absurd clause in their contract - it was Metacritic review score, which is hardly a good method of reviewing someone's performance.

To be slightly fair I think that's relatively common in the games industry. I've certainly heard stories of individual staff member contracts and bonuses having clauses relating to Metacritic ratings. I sort of understand it to a degree, the idea of paying someone more for coming out with a genuinely good game is fair enough but how do you measure something so objective? Aggregating review scores isn't perfect but it's about the best thing you could really do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:06 
Hibernating Druid

How many pixels on the PS4 (in gigaflops)?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:09 

Bamba wrote:
Aggregating review scores isn't perfect but it's about the best thing you could really do.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that - but Metacritic? I suppose there's probably not many other options, but (at the time at least, not sure if they've changed it since) Metacritic accepted scores from pretty much anyone, with no oversight or vetting, which hardly makes it fair.

I suppose the most bitter pill to swallow is that it missed by 1 point, and that had it not been for bugs that they either didn't have time to fix thanks to having to effectively outsource QA back to Bethesda, or couldn't fix because of Bethesda's shitty engine, it probably would have been fine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:16 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:
an absurd clause in their contract - it was Metacritic review score, which is hardly a good method of reviewing someone's performance.

To be slightly fair I think that's relatively common in the games industry. I've certainly heard stories of individual staff member contracts and bonuses having clauses relating to Metacritic ratings. I sort of understand it to a degree, the idea of paying someone more for coming out with a genuinely good game is fair enough but how do you measure something so objective? Aggregating review scores isn't perfect but it's about the best thing you could really do.

No it's not. It's fucking bullshit, is what it is. Metacritic is the biggest con going. It's an average of people's OPINIONS (which are subjective). How can that be used as an objective barometer of anything?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

GazChap wrote:
NV introduced skill-based dialogue checks (i.e. if you had speech over a certain level, you were guaranteed to pass) over F3 (and F4s) percentaged based checks.

Ahem. F2 introduced skill-based checks for dialogue ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:19 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

No it's not. It's fucking bullshit, is what it is. Metacritic is the biggest con going. It's an average of people's OPINIONS (which are subjective). How can that be used as an objective barometer of anything?

It can't be, because there is no objective barometer for 'how good is a game'. The average of a load of subjective opinions is the closest you're likely to get.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:25 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
I suppose the most bitter pill to swallow is that it missed by 1 point, and that had it not been for bugs that they either didn't have time to fix thanks to having to effectively outsource QA back to Bethesda, or couldn't fix because of Bethesda's shitty engine, it probably would have been fine.

Yeah, I'm not defending the practise if you're not going to give someone time to make the game decent, that's bullshit regardless of anything else of course.

And I admit I don't know how they decide which critic's opinions are allowed into the mix which is a potential problem. I just checked their FAQ page and it just give the vague response of, "Several times each year, we will reevaluate our publication lists and may make additions and/or deletions."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:27 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

It can't be, because there is no objective barometer for 'how good is a game'. The average of a load of subjective opinions is the closest you're likely to get.

They shouldn't have bonuses built into these contracts like that at all. It's despicable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:28 
Esoteric

Performance comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... e-analysis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:33 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

They shouldn't have bonuses built into these contracts like that at all. It's despicable.

No bonuses at all, or just no bonus for good reviews?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:39 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

The emphasis on 'like that'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:40 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Yeah, I'm not defending the practise if you're not going to give someone time to make the game decent, that's bullshit regardless of anything else of course.

And I admit I don't know how they decide which critic's opinions are allowed into the mix which is a potential problem. I just checked their FAQ page and it just give the vague response of, "Several times each year, we will reevaluate our publication lists and may make additions and/or deletions."

Also certain publications are more weighted than others. So it's a total sham.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:44 

Cras wrote:
Ahem. F2 introduced skill-based checks for dialogue ;)

Objection sustained ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:49 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

The emphasis on 'like that'.

Ah, I missed those two words

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:51 
Esoteric

GazChap wrote:

Engadget wrote:
Such is the case with Obsidian's Fallout: New Vegas contract with Bethesda, wherein the developer only received royalties if the game matched or exceeded an 85 rating on Metacritic. Leaving aside the fact that Metacritic is a woefully unbalanced aggregation of review scores from both vetted and unvetted publications, agreements like this can leave indie studios -- like Obsidian -- in the lurch should that Metacritic score just barely miss the mark.
They scored 84.

That was it. I remember them being at 90% at one point but it went down.

A really shitty thing to do IMO..

With regards to the airport there was a sealed building about mid way down the runway with a plane and some suitcases but nothing you could explore or what not. And this happened a few times in New Vegas for me.

The vaults were really good, though, and that one full of plants drove me to insanity :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:53 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I don't have an issue with a bonus being based on making a 'good' game. Assuming it is a genuine bonus payment and the general agreed fee isn't tied to it. I certainly don't see how it can be considered despicable in any sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

EE have bonuses worked into customer satisfaction surveys. When you buy a phone, you get a text that directs you to a short survey. It's on a scale of 1-10 but anything on an 8 or below will lose the member of staff that served you some of their bonus.

So yeah, pretty damn shitty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:55 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
EE have bonuses worked into customer satisfaction surveys. When you buy a phone, you get a text that directs you to a short survey. It's on a scale of 1-10 but anything on an 8 or below will lose the member of staff that served you some of their bonus.

That's different, asking the general public's opinion on anything is fucking stupid thing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:57 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:

Or gives incentives them to work harder.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:59 

Bamba wrote:
I don't have an issue with a bonus being based on making a 'good' game. Assuming it is a genuine bonus payment and the general agreed fee isn't tied to it. I certainly don't see how it can be considered despicable in any sense.

Especially despicable in this case as it wasn't really a bonus payment (which I would consider to be a "one-off" payment) but royalties.

I guess you can argue that Obsidian didn't have to accept the contract and could have tried negotiating that clause out, but it only narrowly missed out on hitting the mark (and indeed, from memory, up until right before the "deadline" it was higher than the mark needed) and as a result Obsidian had to lay off quite a few people.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 16:02 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I didn't say I had an issue with developers receiving bonuses for making a 'good' game. I would prefer it was done on sales, tbh. It's not a brilliant barometer either, but at least that way the publisher is making enough money that paying out those bonuses isn't a problem. Metacritic is arse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 16:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Or gives incentives them to work harder.

Not so, the survey is based on how the person serves you but the general public use it as a way to sound off against their mobile coverage, the queue in the shop and even things like how accessible the car park is to the shop.

You can imagine my friends annoyance at going above and beyond with a customer to then 'only' getting a 7 because the coverage in the customers house is no good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 16:10 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Not so, the survey is based on how the person serves you but the general public use it as a way to sound off against their mobile coverage, the queue in the shop and even things like how accessible the car park is to the shop.

You can imagine my friends annoyance at going above and beyond with a customer to then 'only' getting a 7 because the coverage in the customers house is no good.

Fucking ludicrous.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 16:12 

Yeah but if you're comparing the average scores of different operators then surely after enough reviews it must be showing something. Whether it's showing exactly what you think is another matter mind.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 16:23 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Yeah but if you're comparing the average scores of different operators then surely after enough reviews it must be showing something. Whether it's showing exactly what you think is another matter mind.

It's showing a skewed average of different people's subjective opinions. It effectively means nothing. Fine, base your purchasing decisions on it, it's your life. But people's remuneration should not be affected or influenced by it.

I can see the point for aggregator sites when it's for price-checking and things like that. But for reviews? No.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next