Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 13:00 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
That would irritate the shit out of me. How is it fun to spend 20 minutes indoors waiting for a storm to pass?

In STALKER it was really annoying because there weren't many places you could hide. In a Fallout game? Well near on everything is open for exploration so it could work really well. One of the things I loved about FO3 was the way it could wave something else in your face that would make you forget what you were doing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 13:37 
Bad Girl

Didn't STALKER just have zones you couldn't realistically enter unless you were wearing the best radiation kit? I can't remember any passing radiation storms or nowt like that and it hasn't been long since I played it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 14:26 
Esoteric

From what I recall the radiation storms were in Clear Sky but disabled.

It was Call of Pripyat which had them in from the start and if you were out in the fields miles from anywhere they really were annoying.

I can see it working a lot better in Fallout because there will be more places to hide. They should have those little coin operated shelters FO3 had only this time they could be more useful than novelty.

Will just have to remember to stock up on Rad X and Radaway :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 15:27 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Nice story around some of the Fallout origins and how much links back to Wasteland

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/10/02/unco ... ue-origins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 16:25 
Esoteric

I'm literally counting the days now for this game :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:33 
Esoteric

Spent an hour or so watching the interview vids and most of the S.P.E.C.I.A.L videos before thinking they were getting a bit samey (funny though).

I really like the idea of it having elements of Minecraft in it. I've never played Minecraft so that could be kinda fun. Not too sure about having to keep going back repairing things though, that may grate.

Just one more month...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 
Gogmagog

Wait, what?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 
Gogmagog

JohnCoffey wrote:
I really like the idea of it having elements of Minecraft in it. I've never played Minecraft so that could be kinda fun. Not too sure about having to keep going back repairing things though, that may grate.

Stop.
Zoom. Enhance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 15:08 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Stop.
Zoom. Enhance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iYgmAfuf9o

Make sure you watch both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DblGy8luo4

It seems that you can either pick a place to live that's pre built or, which would be bundles more fun, pick a location (there are some marked out) and then develop it yourself. You need to fit turrets and stuff and then wire them all up. They then get attacked by Raiders and so on and so you have to repair them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 15:39 
Bad Girl

If any of that comes to Dark Souls that'll be the day I stop playing Dark Souls.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 15:47 
Excellent Member

I'll be ignoring it and the exact same thing that's also in the new Metal Gear game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:12 
Esoteric

Yeah I have to say my immediate reaction to it was "WTF?!?!".

Thing is, I really wanted there to be more places to live in Fallout 3. I had my house in Megaton but wished there were more places to set up home and store all of my wonderful things I had found. It was a bit of a pain going back to Megaton all the time, even though fast travel was quick.

I did find a tent close to the Enclave HQ which did have a storage locker in it but sadly it was not on the map so I would have to walk from the closest landmark.

I'm looking at Fallout 4 now and am actually feeling a little overwhelmed. The same thing happened to me when I played Fallout 3. I had never played an RPG before in my life and trying to take it all in and working everything out did overwhelm me at one point. I did not know how to use VATS (that'll teach me for not paying attention) and I wandered off and found myself engrossed in the quest where you have to rescue Brian from the fire ants and take him to Rivet City (which I had not discovered yet) but also kill all of the ants and do the side quest down in the Metro.

Gotta say, I almost gave up. I did eventually stumble across VATS and finally realised how it worked and from there on it was a sheer learning process for all of the amazing things the game had in store for me.

Having to mess around building? I will probably leave that until I have established a good foot hold in the game. Like Fallout 3 I am going to have to really pay attention so that I don't feel completely overwhelmed.

Also knowing Bethesda? well put it this way. They've spent around three to five years depending on who you believe doing nothing but designing this game and putting ideas into it. The graphic engine was already done, so yeah, three to five years on nothing but pure content. Hopefully the land mass will be far bigger than it was in Fallout 3.

/Morgan Freeman.. I hope.... I hope....

Either way? well basically I have pretty much stopped gaming all together. So if this game is not what I am expecting I will probably down my controller for good. I'm just sick of all of the samey wank that keeps being released. I don't feel excited by the Indie scene at all and have grown terribly impatient waiting for gaming technology to develop. Over the past decade there are only really three or four games that have changed how I think about gaming and that's not fucking enough.

The gaming industry used to be exciting, and for a while in the late 90s and early noughties it felt exciting and fresh as games like Half Life came out. The thing is I have played Half Life using the Cinematic Mod and when you put it up against the very latest offerings using cutting edge graphics there really isn't anything new in there at all.

I know there were RPGs before Fallout 3 but I had never played them and from all accounts they were a little ropey. Oblivion is it? Then all of a sudden they totally got it right. Everything about Fallout 3 was ingenious and perfect and it all worked. So I'm hoping they have added in things that work (like Minecraft) but have managed to balance it out so that it does work and doesn't just feel like Minecraft.

Ugh. There is just so much riding on this game...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I love your enthusiasm for this, man, and I'm equally excited.

However, this is a travesty!

Quote:
I know there were RPGs before Fallout 3 but I had never played them and from all accounts they were a little ropey.

I mean, the 90s and early 00's gave us some of the greatest RPGs of all time - not least Fallout 1 and 2!

:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:34 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Yep, not going to be as good as FO2...I bet there is no option to appear in gonzo "art house" films in FO4.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:40 
Esoteric

I tried to play them once I had completely exhausted myself in Fallout 3 and FONV. I mean like really obsessively. I had walked every last square millimeter of the landscape, visited every single building and completely absolutely every quest. Sadly I found Fallout rather odd and Fallout 2 a little boring. I guess I missed the boat on them and by the time I got to play them they were just a little too dated. I like seeing game technology move on.

Fallout 3 just felt like the best FPS ever but with so much more in it. I must have played it through completely (with all of the DLC) about thirty times at least. I played through as a nice guy, bad guy, sneaky git, black widow type female, nice female etc.

I really should not have had the time to play them as much as I did tbh.

What I did expect was Fallout 4 to have come far sooner than it has. Eventually I'd exhausted both FO3 and FONV (and I mean exhausted, both in theory and in myself) and then just sat waiting for FO4 patiently. The thing is I guess with FO3 and NV I had finally found what I liked to play. Then when I wanted more of it there was nothing to be found. I tried Skyrim and even though I found it absolutely excellent it just wasn't what I wanted to play. Dragons and spells? ugh. I'm an Aspie, so it was far too fantasist for me. Fallout 3? it could happen. Not in the way FO3 actually happens but it's something real.

Fallout 3 for me was a massive step forward in gaming. I guess it was for every one really. Finally an RPG that doesn't mean you need to be Harry Potter to like it.

Since then nothing has really grabbed me. I've tried really hard to like these games people rave on about (most recently The Witcher 3) but they're just not my thing. Nowhere near lonely enough.

As I say I just hope that Fallout 4 contains those moments that make your face light up. There were so many times I just sat there smiling from ear to ear.. Absolute gaming magic.

So yeah, just hoping that it lives up to my expectations really and doesn't feel like a cop out on a newer engine. I do have faith though.. Apparently Skyrim was absolutely fucking mind blowing compared to Oblivion. Not that I'd know. I did complete Skyrim but very quickly and very crudely. I never did anything more than the game wanted me to do to see it through to the end, so I suppose I really missed out but how can you miss out on something you don't feel a part of?

I already know the graphics are not going to be mind blowing. Thing is, compared to something like Crysis Fallout 3 actually looks pretty wank. But there were still things in that game that looked downright incredible. I would constantly take screenshots standing on a large patch of burnt brown ground with the sun breaking through the trees. Really some absolutely beautiful sights to behold, even though the engine was a bit wank.

I've prepared myself well.. Latest hardware, more than enough. A new cushion for my chair to take eight to ten hour sits and a new Xbox wireless controller (I'm still using the beige wired one I got in 2008). Good coffee is on hand...

I'm ready :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:48 
Hibernating Druid

Now, now, no need to Fallout.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 17:34 

For PC players, CD Keys has a Steam code pre-order for £26.99, which is £9 less than the cheapest I've seen. (£35.99 at GAME and Amazon) Although, I think the GAME and Amazon versions come on disk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 17:52 
Bad Girl

Quote:
Thing is, I really wanted there to be more places to live in Fallout 3. I had my house in Megaton but wished there were more places to set up home and store all of my wonderful things I had found

I've played this and I can't think of anything if picked up that I wanted to store &/or display in a house. :S

And why would I want to display something that absolutely no one would ever see. Cripes, that sounds like the most pointless thing ever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:01 
Esoteric

Saturnalian wrote:
Quote:
Thing is, I really wanted there to be more places to live in Fallout 3. I had my house in Megaton but wished there were more places to set up home and store all of my wonderful things I had found

I've played this and I can't think of anything if picked up that I wanted to store &/or display in a house. :S

And why would I want to display something that absolutely no one would ever see. Cripes, that sounds like the most pointless thing ever.

Really? So you didn't find any or all of the very special weapons in the game? like the Xuanlong Assault Rifle, Experimental MIRV or any of those? how about Lincoln's Repeater? They were all about twice as powerful as their standard counterpart.

I was also a Nuka Grenade factory and having tons of abraxo cleaner and empty tin cans was kind of impractical so I had a box in the house where I used to store all of the ingredients for that, as well as the Nuka Cola Quantum (I also had the perk that turns ten Nuka Cola into one Quantum, so Nuka Grenades were a solid part of my arsenal).

As for not wanting to display things to look at? the amount of grief you have to go through to get some of this stuff makes you want to proudly display it especially the Bobble heads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 
Excellent Member

Storing things is certainly fair enough as you can't carry everything around with you but I'm as baffled as Craster at the idea of 'displaying' stuff you've found. It's weird enough in something like GTA online where you can actually show off your stuff to other people but in a single player game especially it's not a factor I've ever found compelling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:19 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
Storing things is certainly fair enough as you can't carry everything around with you but I'm as baffled as Craster at the idea of 'displaying' stuff you've found. It's weird enough in something like GTA online where you can actually show off your stuff to other people but in a single player game especially it's not a factor I've ever found compelling.

I like it :) The Keller Family Transcripts is probably one of the longest and hardest quests in Fallout 3 and the reward is the Experimental MIRV. It's a Fat Man that launches 8 mini nukes at once. Why on earth would you not want to proudly display that? :D

I've noticed that the Pip Boy actually shows you images that rotate of the weapons you have now, that's a nice addition :)

I guess it all just depends how seriously you take the game really. If you consider that since 2008 it and FONV are pretty much the only games I've played seriously and completed then maybe it won't seem so strange.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:

It was actually Sat, but I quite concur :)

Storage, absolutely. Display, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:21 
Bad Girl

I thought he meant, like, storing tinkets and books and stuff. Item management such as guns you can't carry, f'instance, is fine with me.

Storing bobble-heads, or summats, to look at later is, um, a bit weird to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:58 
Esoteric

Saturnalian wrote:
I thought he meant, like, storing tinkets and books and stuff. Item management such as guns you can't carry, f'instance, is fine with me.

Storing bobble-heads, or summats, to look at later is, um, a bit weird to me.

Well there's actually a Vault Tec stand that you get that you display your Bobbleheads on. What irked me about Fallout 3 though was if you set up camp somewhere else you couldn't take it with you. Hopefully they have sorted that. Quite looking forward to building my own house though but as I said I will probably leave that until later in the game when I have gotten to grips with the basics :)

There was this one mod for Fallout 3 where you could live in Vault 101 (A quest that reopens it and then leaves it open afterwards) that was pretty cool. The issue I had with that though (and Megaton and Tenpenny Tower) was that you had to first enter the building (requiring a load) then enter Megaton and walk to your house. I know, it sounds lazy, but when all you want is to stock up on grenades it can be a faff. Tenpenny required two entrances before you even get to the lift, then an entrance on that and then the door to your room.. I would like something easier to access that's quicker. I would also like for my house to become a marker on the map I can fast travel straight to.

Going back to hoarding and displaying stuff and so on? just a typical autistic trait I 'spose. I tend to absolutely submerge myself into Fallout games taking everything very seriously.

Thing is, some of these hidden weapons I was talking about earlier were just amazing. The Lincoln Repeater was a completely unique weapon too. Basically a Magnum rifle. It ended up being the Cowboy Rifle in New Vegas and my weapon of choice.

The uprated Plasma rifle that you got from the android was kinda good too. I would either end up with the Plasma rifle (the special one) or the Xuanlong Assault rifle, providing I did not fuck up that quest and get it locked out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 21:57 
Esoteric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IlHBBGCIw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:54 
INFINITE POWAH

none of that is game engine footage, is it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 13:23 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
none of that is game engine footage, is it?

No, none of that video of a real actor and an actual dog wandering around is made using the game engine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 13:25 
INFINITE POWAH

It looked like a very high quality render rather than actual video of RL person to me. :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 13:39 
Hibernating Druid

Is that a real Kissyfur daytime post?

Thought he's too busy and paid too much for that sort of thing.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 14:03 
Excellent Member

I fully intended to stick a winky at the end of my post to convey the lightness of tone I intended and only now realise I completely forgot which probably made it seem like I was having a go or whatever; apologies as I totally wasn't trying to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 14:40 
Esoteric

Just FYI guys.

A while back now a guy who works in the video recording industry posted his CV on an online website. Under previous employers he put Bethesda, and under the description he put "Unannounced project" or something like that. It went something like that any way. Any hoo, this supposedly is the supposed video that had let the cat out of the bag. Like, confirmed Fallout 4 was being worked on.

I know, all very boring indeed... I am starting to prepare myself though. I bought an arse cushion for extended play sessions.

And a new controller, because I am still using my 360 wired controller I got in 2008 and it's gone yellow lol.

All I need to do now is sort out coffee rations and I'm good to go :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:13 
Esoteric

Exactly one day after I pay £40 for a controller.

http://www.windowscentral.com/limited-e ... day-oct-20

GRR.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 21:52 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/23/fall ... r-is-real/

Fallout Beer is a real thing

Quote:
Fallout Beer is a real thing

Miss out on the special edition of Fallout 4? You know, the one that comes with a real-life, smartphone-enabled Pip-Boy? Never mind, you can always drown your sorrows with some Fallout Beer instead. That is, if you live in the UK anyway. Developer Bethesda has teamed up with Carlsberg for the promotional beverage, which it says is inspired by Vault-Tec Industries and the rest of the post-apocalyptic game franchise. A 12-pack will set you back £29.99 on Amazon, with delivery expected around November 5th. Fallout 4 arrives five days later, meaning you should have the perfect brew ready for your inaugural adventure in Boston. Bethesda describes it as a "pilsner lager, with a refreshing zesty hoppy taste and a floral aroma" -- we'll let you decide if that's better than an ice-cold Nuka-Cola.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 22:54 
Excellent Member

A lager from Carlsberg? Pass.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:00 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
A lager from Carlsberg? Pass.

:this:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:15 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

:this: 30 quid for a 12 pack of Carlsberg!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:19 
Esoteric

Hmm. Well I'm not buying this because I have been dry for a couple of years now.

Oddly enough though when I did drink I always drank Carlsberg. Sure there are much more potent beers out there (Stella for example) but for sheer taste I always loved my Carlsberg.

Still humming and harring whether to have a mate pre order the controller for me though.

Oh yeah, also this. I heard that a guy in Ireland pre ordered the Pip Boy edition from Game and got a phone call to tell him that they had basically oversold it by around 600 copies and thus he would not be getting his. Thankfully I phoned Game about two days ago and everything was set to go ahead on mine. Apparently it will be couriered to arrive on Nov 10th. I had to update my credit card details too 'cause the old one I originally ordered it with was set to expire before launch so I had them confirm that too. Much piss has been taken but have you seen what they are changing hands for on Ebay? north of four hundred quid.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:48 

Go ahead and get the controller, man! It's always good to have a spare controller, anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:54 
Esoteric

lasermink wrote:
Go ahead and get the controller, man! It's always good to have a spare controller, anyway.

Problem is I already have one. I still have my Xbox 360 wired controller I bought in 2008. Aside from it being pretty worn and rather yellow it still works spot on. I paid £39 for the Xbone wired controller (simple micro USB cable) and will be ordering the receiver when it comes out (£15 apparently) then will just use some of my AAA rechargeable batteries.

So yeah, bit of a hard call when the FO4 controller is going to cost me about £60. And then of course the issue of spending silly money on Mrs JC for Christmas....

It's Microsoft's fault for making the most hardened, awesome peripherals. Their keyboards mice and webcams have always been top quality too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 13:28 
Esoteric

Fallout 4 to use Nvidia Gameworks.

http://wccftech.com/fallout-4-nvidia-gameworks/

Bollocks. Like we needed anything else to make it as buggy as an ant hill on launch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 17:18 
Gogmagog

I ordered this yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 17:44 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
I ordered this yesterday.

Awesome. We had such fun in the Fallout 3 thread :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 13:16 
Excellent Member

Since i doubt my computer can run this, i've been playing Wasteland 2 instead of waiting for this. While first impressions weren't that good (the game isn't exactly pretty), it grew on me, and it's pretty good. And it definitely reminds a lot of Fallout 1&2, in fact much more than Wasteland 1.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 13:21 
INFINITE POWAH

I've preordered this for PS4. Can't wait...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 13:25 
Excellent Member

I'm away in Warsaw for a few days at the end of the week it comes out so I think I'll wait until after that to pick it up as that gives the internet hordes plenty of time to test it out for me. I can't face the idea of getting some way into it and having my save game corrupt or a quest line fucking up or something and having to redo it all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 13:26 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I'm away in Warsaw for a few days at the end of the week it comes out so I think I'll wait until after that to pick it up as that gives the internet hordes plenty of time to test it out for me. I can't face the idea of getting some way into it and having my save game corrupt or a quest line fucking up or something and having to redo it all.

Filthy casual.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 13:45 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:

I must say I am quite confident about day one stability, thanks to the fact that they did a Valve (IE disappeared off the face of the earth then all of a sudden come along and say "Tadaaa ! it's done !".) Fallout New Vegas was seriously rushed and Fallout 3 wasn't even finished (you needed Broken Steel for it to operate properly). I think they learned a lot from that and this time around have made sure it was all finished before even uttering its existence.

Gameworks does worry me though, especially as a PC/AMD user. Hopefully they'll play with that in patches after release.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 13:52 
Excellent Member

I'm not at all confident, but only because these games are, by necessity and by design, hilariously complex so testing all the possible paths through is near impossible. It'll probably be fine, but it's no problem to leave it a week and let it settle in given that I'm away anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 14:02 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I'm not at all confident, but only because these games are, by necessity and by design, hilariously complex so testing all the possible paths through is near impossible. It'll probably be fine, but it's no problem to leave it a week and let it settle in given that I'm away anyway.

You disgust me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 14:54 
Esoteric

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... ox-One-PS4

Check out the video. Mal, you were a melee sorta fella weren't you? I must admit I've always gone with guns...

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next