Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:34 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
I didn't know that no. Maybe the manual... Oh wait.

There's an entire bench specifically for the purpose, that was a bit of a giveaway when I started out.

JohnCoffey wrote:
My selection of weapons work really well on absolutely everything but these new robots, dude. I've got a modded 50 cal gun with sights that can take out pretty much anything, as well as a special shotgun etc etc. Yet on these fucking robots I may as well be chewing up tissues and spitting them at them through a straw.

You've got a problem and I'm suggesting things that will help with that. Either check it out or don't; telling me why you think your problem shouldn't be a problem probably won't do much for you though. :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:40 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
Only some of the clothes, sadly. However that some includes Piper's leather overcoat, so that made me happy.

I very much prefer the look of a character with old-school ballistic firearms and no real armour, so being able to mod weapons and clothes is super awesome.

I've been running about dressed as Grognak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:49 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:
Only some of the clothes, sadly. However that some includes Piper's leather overcoat, so that made me happy.

I very much prefer the look of a character with old-school ballistic firearms and no real armour, so being able to mod weapons and clothes is super awesome.

I've been running about dressed as Grognak

Yeah I used that costume for ages :D Then I found a radiation suit, which takes in very little radiation. I don't like how your health reduces with rads in this game either.

Might look into modding the rad suit though. Would be nice if it could hold off some damage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 16:08 
Excellent Member

Radiation isn't really a problem; you end up with fucktons of Rad-X and Radaway and there are locations you can just fast travel to and clear away all your rads for free. Wearing the hazmat suit all the time will get your arse handed to you though because it offers close to no armor and can't be ballistic weaved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Shot a wandering low-level raider in the head from the top of a building tonight, and almost didn't bother looting her body because it was a bit of a pain to get to.

I'm glad I did, because she had a "Never ending 10mm pistol", which doesn't run out of bullets.

Cor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:42 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Shot a wandering low-level raider in the head from the top of a building tonight, and almost didn't bother looting her body because it was a bit of a pain to get to.

I'm glad I did, because she had a "Never ending 10mm pistol", which doesn't run out of bullets.

Cor.

Yeah, no, that's what I thought when I found my never ending shotgun. Turns out it just means you never need to reload, but it still uses up you're ammo as normal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 14:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Maaaaaaan!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 21:05 
INFINITE POWAH

I WISH I had know about ballistic weave before now. I'd have chucked more levels into the armourer perk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 21:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cras wrote:
I prefer my Fallout kinda old school. Laser weapons and power armour are for those who have no faith in a good worn duster and a steady eye. I was pleased that there's a good range of gunpowder weapons with decent punch, and the ability to mod them is great. As the difficulty ramps up though and the enemies get tougher, I started to despair of being able to look cool and still soak up a decent amount of damage on the armour side of things :(

However!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
A few quests into the railroad faction and I unlock the wonder that is ballistic weave and clothing modding. I'm now rocking Piper's old red leather trenchcoat modded with ballistic weave 5, for 110/115 armour. I'm really very pleased.

If only someone had mentioned it ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 21:17 
INFINITE POWAH

I haven't touched a single spoilered thingy on this thread because I haven't finished the bloody game.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:54 
Excellent Member

Full trailer for the Far Harbour DLC that comes out on the 19th of this month. It doesn't really give too much away, though it's got a Lovecraft vibe going on.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:28 
Esoteric

That one actually looks really good :)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 0:38 
Esoteric

So today I actually loaded up Fallout 4. I didn't realise Far Harbor was released already but it had installed itself.

It's very good. Kinda like a cross between a couple of the Fallout 3 DLC so far. Much better than the robot crap though.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 
Esoteric

And then I got to the part which mimics Portal. I did three of them before getting incredibly bored and relying on Youtube to get the last two done just to get out with it completed.

Another fail for Bethesda. Why they must keep trying to make it different to FO3 in every way possible remains a mystery. Other than that the DLC is good... Probably one of the best I've ever played but man alive that block business is fucking yawnsome.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 23:00 
Esoteric

Right it all seems to have gone really quiet. Shame, as the latest DLC was very good and I echo reviewers and agree that the whole game should have been more like it.

Rumours are now (after some one hacked the game files) that the next DLC is called "Nuka World" and should be a new map like Far Harbor was. It could be theme park based, around Nuka Cola. This sounds like lots of fun.

In other news I finished the robot DLC and am now using The Mechanists armor. It's really allowed me to take a few smacks to the chin. I've probably put in around 20 hours this week and I am enjoying it a lot more than I was, which is cool. Also got me one of these.

Shiny tat !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:23 

After a long break ( I stopped before the first DLC dropped) I've gone back to this. In the last few days of play I've:

1) turned Piper gay (my Sole Survivor is a woman)
2) went from level 14 to 22
3) agonised over every Perk choice
4) unlocked the ballistic weave, which is amazingly good
5) didn't even do one main quest line mission (my next task is to find Nick Valentine)
6) got my settlements humming along finding me scrap and growing stuff to make adhesive, because there's never enough adhesive
7) crafted loads of stuff - I have GunNut 2, Armourer 2, and Science 1

Piper's dialogue and voice acting is great, she's a great character. I immediately dropped her for Deacon because I had some sneaky missions to do (Covenant) but feel vaguely guilty whenever I see her in Sanctuary now, so that's some pretty decent writing there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:46 
Esoteric

I had no choice but to drop Danse. He was awesome too, but if I dare side with him now at all the BOS attack me. Harumph.

Far Harbor was brilliant and really got me back into the game. Hoping Nuka World is good also, given apparently it's the last.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
After a long break ( I stopped before the first DLC dropped) I've gone back to this. In the last few days of play I've:

1) turned Piper gay (my Sole Survivor is a woman)
2) went from level 14 to 22
3) agonised over every Perk choice
4) unlocked the ballistic weave, which is amazingly good
5) didn't even do one main quest line mission (my next task is to find Nick Valentine)
6) got my settlements humming along finding me scrap and growing stuff to make adhesive, because there's never enough adhesive
7) crafted loads of stuff - I have GunNut 2, Armourer 2, and Science 1

Piper's dialogue and voice acting is great, she's a great character. I immediately dropped her for Deacon because I had some sneaky missions to do (Covenant) but feel vaguely guilty whenever I see her in Sanctuary now, so that's some pretty decent writing there.

Piper is indeed great. I think I mentioned a while back that I was so pleased with the ballistic weave. I like the gunpowder weapons and trenchcoats much more than laser weapons and armour, so being able to build a jacket that's as good as any armour in the game actually made that approach viable.

I'm doing a second runthrough now so I can do all the DLC. I'm up to L22 or so, and I've done the Mechanist and Vault DLC which are both worthwhile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:59 

Cras wrote:
Piper is indeed great. I think I mentioned a while back that I was so pleased with the ballistic weave.

I think you were the reason I knew it existed. It's quite the game changer, it more than doubled my armour levels. I also discovered I can ballistic weave the red sequin cocktail dress I wear for tough negotiations so obviously that's happening.

Gun-wise, I'm favouring sniper rifles and shotguns, boosted by the Rifleman perk. Although I just splurged on some mods for a named laser rifle I found to make it more snipery.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:03 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I also discovered I can ballistic weave the red sequin cocktail dress I wear for tough negotiations

So that's how you got to work for Evil Google.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hmm, I really dislike sniper rifles. A sniper scope and you get the wavy wavy hold-your-breath zoom whereas with a reflex scope over the same range your accuracy is pretty insane. Unless you're going for extreme range headshots I'm happiest with my hunting rifle rechambered for .50cal.

And a .44 revolver for close-in work, obv. Like backing away in circles around something from an angry deathclaw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:11 

Cras wrote:
Hmm, I really dislike sniper rifles. A sniper scope and you get the wavy wavy hold-your-breath zoom whereas with a reflex scope over the same range your accuracy is pretty insane. Unless you're going for extreme range headshots I'm happiest with my hunting rifle rechambered for .50cal.

And a .44 revolver for close-in work, obv. Like backing away in circles around something from an angry deathclaw.

Again, I like to imagine you are writing from real-life experiences, Craster. You really are a complex fella :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Always wait for the barrel to cool before sticking a revolver back in your waistline.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:17 

Cras wrote:
I use VATS extensively.

Quote:
I haven't the perk points for Gunslinger on top of Rifleman. Hence shotguns. But also: shotguns are awesome, fool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I have very low agility so rarely get to take out more than 1/3 of my opponents with VATS.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:35 

Agility 6 (I'm working on it), plus Action Girl level 1 and a couple of modded armour pieces for more rapid refill. I can take two sniper rifle shots in VATS and only have to duck into cover for a few seconds to refill my AP bar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 13:05 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:

MaliA wrote:
I hammer stuff in the face.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've gone back to this to do all the DLC. The Vault one is a bit dull, although it does give you a massive settlement building area. The contraptions workshop DLC however has fully awakened my inner nerd. Massive automated factory networks with conveyor belts, feed hoppers, and ingredient sorters? Oh yes please. I already have a fully working ammo construction line and it's loads of fun and super-useful.

Also you can put settlers in stocks, and throw vegetables at them using a baseball pitching machine, which is nice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Factorio.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 14:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm not sold on it. Also sod PC gaming.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 21:07 

Unlocked my third companion perk tonight (Preston; I already had Piper and MacCready.)

I also unlocked the ability to adventure with Paladin Jurj Clooners. Now, on the one hand, he's probably handy in a fight, I bet he can carry loads of stuff, and his companion perk looks great. But on the other hand, he's earnest as fuck and dull as magnolia paint, and I had a solid dose of that with Preston. So I may end up hanging out with Nick instead.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 21:15 

Also building a proper house now. Finally figured out properly do a second storey on buildings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 21:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, there's tons of tricksy building quirks that are totally unexplained

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 23:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Factory! When I turn it on it sucks everything out of the workshop one item at a time, transports it all across town, runs it through a sorter to filter out everything needed for ammo, dumps the rest in a container for me to stick it back into the workshop, then builds as much ammo as it can with whatever it harvested. Fun!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 23:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oops, forgot the photo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:04 
Esoteric

Nuka World is any day now isn't it?

I've not built anything I didn't have to really. I've done every quest though and then wandered around for a few hours but am looking forward to Nuka World :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:11 

Holy shit that factory looks awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's a little rudimentary at the moment. Sanctuary isn't great for giving you nice flat levels to build on - hence that great big aerial conveyor belt into the hopper. I will probably move it all somewhere else at some point.

I like the manufacturing stuff. It's well thought through, and you can do some clever stuff. Of course, you can't build bottlecaps even though it would be pretty much the easiest thing to mass produce ever :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:47 

I strongly regret basing my operations at Sanctuary, mostly because I can't fast travel there, drop stuff off, sleep with Piper to get the Lover's Embrace XP perk, fast travel somewhere else, and turn in a quest for the bonus XP. Sanctuary being up in the corner of the map means the fast travel time to most places is longer than the perk lasts.

I've considered moving everything, but it's a such a colossal ballache. I have tons and tons of stuff in Sanctuary. So far I'm just not bothering with Lover's Embrace.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

One annoying thing I've found is that while having supply lines is great because you can access your workshop inventory in other locations, the workshop inventory isn't physically 'there' in the other locations, it just counts for crafting materials - so for the factory stuff where I've got a vacuum hopper pulling everything out of my workshop, it won't pull items from that shared global inventory. That's a definite barrier to moving operations elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:21 

Yes, exactly. I'd have to move all my junk which is a massive undertaking. I wish the game went a step further and just had a true shared inventory between all workbenches; I don't really see why it doesn't. I imagine there's a mod to fix that but no mods on PS4, of course.

Story spoilers to the start of The Glowing Sea:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Squee'd a bit last night when the Prydwen arrived. Then winced at the American actors mangling the pronunciation of its name (it's a Welsh word, should be prood-wehn. Did the next bit of the Brotherhood of Steel missions, mostly spent it giving the BoS muckity-mucks serious snark. I never liked them and mangling the language of my forefathers is not endearing me any further.

I enjoyed the Kellogg memory re-enactment bit. Clever storytelling.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mods on PS4 are supposedly coming 'soon'.

I'm at exactly the same point as you in the plot (though this is my second run through) because that's the point where you can start Far Harbour.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:28 

Cras wrote:

Although I've just read that on Xbox they disable cheevos entirely, which seems like a shame (although understandable.) I wish Bethesda would go the extra mile and allow some mods that don't affect game balance to be used without doing that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have this and I still haven't played it. All this talk is perking my interest so maybe this could be the next game I get my teeth into?

Further updates as they occur....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Although I've just read that on Xbox they disable cheevos entirely, which seems like a shame (although understandable.) I wish Bethesda would go the extra mile and allow some mods that don't affect game balance to be used without doing that.

Means you've got to put in place a huge QA operation to ensure that nothing in a mod makes it easier to get a cheevo or trophy though, that's a big undertaking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:15 

Cras wrote:
Means you've got to put in place a huge QA operation to ensure that nothing in a mod makes it easier to get a cheevo or trophy though, that's a big undertaking.

True enough, I guess.

I spent a few minutes on an "Fallout mods for Xbox you should get right now" site and there's loads of useful ones in there. I think I'd happily sacrifice trophies for some of these.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh my. Even just 'Scrap Everything' would be the greatest thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:35 

"Companion Infinite Ammo and Unbreakable Power Armour" ::gives Piper all the weapons::

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Finished Far Harbour yesterday. That's great DLC - huge new area, new monsters, locations, factions, and interesting quests. Also a lovely set of armour to grab and a few new weapons.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 13:31 

Speaking of armour, I got my X-01 on yesterday. Also reached the first affinity conversation with Paladin Jurj Clooners and stomped around the BoS a bit sneering at their inferior armour. And I got Gun Nut up to 3, so promptly upgraded my sniper rifle to .50 calibre and put a more potent receiver on Overseers Rifle.

Oh, and killed my first Behemoth. He was a big boy.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next