Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dark Souls 3
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 19:15 
Bad Girl

He couldn't get out of the village! AHAHAHAHAHAH.

#cleeeq

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 19:26 

Mr Dave wrote:
Whereabouts?

Same place as last time I mentioned it ages ago. :)

In the bit where you can't see where you're going. You're supposed to be able to jump the giant skeletons somehow and make them fall over, but I can't get it to work. I always end up falling to my death as I try to avoid their attacks while dodging the projectiles fired from unseen assailants.

There is an alternative path open to me down a huge hollow tree, if I remember correctly. It has some nasty mushroom creatures that get way too difficult as I reach the lower parts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 19:45 
Paws for thought

lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Whereabouts?

In the bit where you can't see where you're going. You're supposed to be able to jump the giant skeletons somehow and make them fall over, but I can't get it to work. I always end up falling to my death as I try to avoid their attacks while dodging the projectiles fired from unseen assailants.

There is an alternative path open to me down a huge hollow tree, if I remember correctly. It has some nasty mushroom creatures that get way too difficult as I reach the lower parts.

Err...

I'm guessing the part you can't see where you're going is the tomb of giants. You'll need a source of light. There are three available - A torch hidden away in the catacombs, a spell, or a hat you get in the izalith ruins. The torch has the other advantage of giving you a glowing path to ensure the correct path is taken.

The hollow tree, entirely optional.

Not overly clear where in the game you're up to, due to the ability to access many areas earlier than you'd ideally want to - and it sounds like you may be doing this. Can you warp around using bonfires yet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 19:53 

Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Whereabouts?

Err...

I'm guessing the part you can't see where you're going is the tomb of giants. You'll need a source of light. There are three available - A torch hidden away in the catacombs, a spell, or a hat you get in the izalith ruins. The torch has the other advantage of giving you a glowing path to ensure the correct path is taken.

Not overly clear where in the game you're up to, due to the ability to access many areas earlier than you'd ideally want to - and it sounds like you may be doing this. Can you warp around using bonfires yet?

I have the torch. And I forgot to mention, I have also rung both bells and talked to the weird clicking creature (and possibly done something else I don't remember), so I can warp up to the area above the starting area that has the big knights, which kill me very quickly. I don't know anything about warping between the bonfires. I have a fairly high level, I believe, and I play as an agile warrior type.

EDIT THE UMPTEENTH: I have also figured out how to get back to the tutorial area via the bird's nest, where there is a demon that is too powerful for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 19:57 
Bad Girl

Have you been through the place with the traps and the snake men? If not, that's your destination. Leave the darkness for much later on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 20:01 

Saturnalian wrote:
Have you been through the place with the traps and the snake men? If not, that's your destination. Leave the darkness for much later on.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I seem to remember you unlock that place with the bells, and then get access to the knighty place after doing stuff in there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 20:04 
Bad Girl

Yup. That's where you need to go. When you get to the City of Gold *hums theme tune* finish it and then you unlock all the areas where the four Big Bosses are. Kill all the bosses and unlock the final area. Defeat Bigger boss and finish the game. Simples.

That's about 50 hours worth of game I've just summarised though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 20:09 
Paws for thought

lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Whereabouts?

Err...

I have the torch. And I forgot to mention, I have also rung both bells and talked to the weird clicking creature (and possibly done something else I don't remember), so I can warp up to the area above the starting area that has the big knights, which kill me very quickly. I don't know anything about warping between the bonfires. I have a fairly high level, I believe, and I play as an agile warrior type.

EDIT THE UMPTEENTH: I have also figured out how to get back to the tutorial area via the bird's nest, where there is a demon that is too powerful for me.

Yeah, you're not even halfway, the giant skels are basically the last thing I do in the game.

You need to go the huge knight area, which will unlock various areas, including a door later on in the dark skeleton place.

The initial huge knights you can walk (or run) past.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 20:12 

Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Whereabouts?

Err...

Yeah, you're not even halfway, the giant skels are basically the last thing I do in the game.

You need to go the huge knight area, which will unlock various areas, including a door later on in the dark skeleton place.

Not even half way? 8) Anyway, cheers, I will do what you suggest and try to get back into the game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 20:15 
Paws for thought

lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Whereabouts?

Err...

Not even half way? 8) Anyway, cheers, I will do what you suggest and try to get back into the game.

Maybe a little over. Depends on whether you've been beating up big wolves and similar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:14 

Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Whereabouts?

Err...

Maybe a little over. Depends on whether you've been beating up big wolves and similar.

Wow, I am having a pretty easy time in Anor Londo, or rather, now I am trapped in a painting, but I am still having a pretty easy time. Why on Earth did I convince myself back then that this was most definitely the last place I needed to go? I mean, I know how this game works, you have to thoroughly examine every option open to you to find the right one. Anyway, after a couple of years off, I am back in the game, yeah!

Also, a ton of people seem to be playing this game still, I have absolutely no problem getting summoned and I have already gained something like 5 levels just from the souls I get from helping other people defeat the area boss. I wonder if the different ports all use the same server.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 
Paws for thought

That's handy. Painted world can be a little harsh if you go in ill equipped. But probably not coincidentally, it's one of the best places for gaining souls. And jumping dragons arses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 21:39 
Hibernating Druid

One of the best places in the game. Great for harvesting souls and a lovely boss fight.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 0:23 

Zardoz wrote:
One of the best places in the game. Great for harvesting souls and a lovely boss fight.

I decided to let her live.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 14:24 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 14:50 
Paws for thought

Not long to go now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 15:40 
Hibernating Druid

Giz it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 13:41 
Excellent Member

You know what would really capture the overall experience and deep gameplay of the Souls games? A free to play mobile auto-runner game called 'Slashy Souls'! Fucking hell.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1055774718

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 13:52 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
You know what would really capture the overall experience and deep gameplay of the Souls games? A free to play mobile auto-runner game called 'Slashy Souls'! Fucking hell.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1055774718

Instadeathbuy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:08 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Launch trailer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This looks awesome but I never really got on with the first game. I think I like the idea of it more than actually playing it.

Anyway, I'll get it when it's cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:33 
Bad Girl

Holy fuck, that looks good. Maybe a bit too much of Bloodborne's influence than Dark Souls 1 though but, hell, I'm excited. Only a couple more weeks - DAYYUM!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:53 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I should go back and try and finish the first one, like lasermink I got stuck and just got a bit bored; will try again I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 

Bobbyaro wrote:
I should go back and try and finish the first one, like lasermink I got stuck and just got a bit bored; will try again I think.

Well, since my previous post and following the excellent advice I was given, I breezed through Anor Londo and the painted world, and then struggled through the archives and the crystal caves, but now I am stuck at Seath the Scaleless. Who is such a dick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:22 
Paws for thought

Use armour with high curse resistance, smash the crystal (or better still, encourage him to smash it) and batter him.

Once curseyess is diffused, It's one of the easier fights, I thought.

Or, at this point, there are other paths. New Londo (or the woods if you have not beat up big wolves) a source of being cursed helps here, the tomb (hard) or demon ruins/lost Izalith (near the second bell)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:54 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I think I am also in anor londo as well. There was some flying dragony things on a slope that kept killing me, iirc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 13:19 

Mr Dave wrote:
Use armour with high curse resistance, smash the crystal (or better still, encourage him to smash it) and batter him.

Once curseyess is diffused, It's one of the easier fights, I thought.

Or, at this point, there are other paths. New Londo (or the woods if you have not beat up big wolves) a source of being cursed helps here, the tomb (hard) or demon ruins/lost Izalith (near the second bell)

I don't know what you are talking about re. the crystal or curse resistance. Which leads me to ask, how is one supposed to know about this stuff like what type of armour to use? Does the game tell you in any way, or do you need to read guides to get through this game? If that's true, I consider that a huge design flaw.

I believe I have done New Londo. Not the woods, I think it was too hard, but I may be able to do it now. In the demon ruins there is a Fire Sage Demon or somesuch that destroys me. The same in the asylum.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 13:31 
Bad Girl

There's a glowing crystal at the back of the room where you fight Seath that protects him from damage. Run straight in and smash it then you can actually fight Seath. He's really easy once you do this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 13:36 
Bad Girl

Re: resistances.

You're bound to have noticed all the stats and guff. Your bloke has stats and the clothing and rings do too. Check the stats on your gear to see what has the highest numbers for resistance to fire, toxins, strike damage and all that guff.

A bar pops up with a symbol when you get poisoned and stuff, right? Or you get set on fire when you take fire damage and so on? Well, get some gear on that might help you better against whatever problem you're having.

Or equip a ring that helps.

Or both!

The rings have simple enough descriptions if I remember correctly. Like the fire resistance rings says something like "On fire a lot? Shove me on your bod." I might be paraphrasing that, mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 13:43 

Saturnalian wrote:
Re: resistances.

You're bound to have noticed all the stats and guff. Your bloke has stats and the clothing and rings do too. Check the stats on your gear to see what has the highest numbers for resistance to fire, toxins, strike damage and all that guff.

A bar pops up with a symbol when you get poisoned and stuff, right? Or you get set on fire when you take fire damage and so on? Well, get some gear on that might help you better against whatever problem you're having.

Or equip a ring that helps.

Or both!

The rings have simple enough descriptions if I remember correctly. Like the fire resistance rings says something like "On fire a lot? Shove me on your bod." I might be paraphrasing that, mind.

Yeah, I know all that stuff. I don't remember getting any curse pop ups by Seath, though, just taking a lot of damage from all the seemingly unavoidable spikes that appear, but maybe I was just too panicky to notice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 14:29 
Paws for thought

Probably too panicky, but if the curse bar does fill, it's obvious due to the instant death and halving of maximum health until uncursed (being cursed is usually the point at which I do new Londo, given a curse is the only way to kill the ghosts) .

If you haven't killed the big Wolf, you can't have completed new Londo. (can't enter the boss room). Woods are probably the easiest area available. Although I always avoid the area with all the people.

Fire demon, again fire resistance is useful. If he's too much, there is an alternative route at the cost of considerable humanity,which avoids a couple of bosses and some arses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 14:36 
Bad Girl

I'm positive you don't have to kill the wolf to fight the boss of New Londo. IIRC the wolf is entirely optional - someone check, ta.

EDIT: no hang on, I'm thinking of Anor Londo. Still not sure you need to kill the Wolf though unless he has the ring? Which he might, then.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 14:48 

Mr Dave wrote:
Probably too panicky, but if the curse bar does fill, it's obvious due to the instant death and halving of maximum health until uncursed (being cursed is usually the point at which I do new Londo, given a curse is the only way to kill the ghosts) .

If you haven't killed the big Wolf, you can't have completed new Londo. (can't enter the boss room). Woods are probably the easiest area available. Although I always avoid the area with all the people.

Fire demon, again fire resistance is useful. If he's too much, there is an alternative route at the cost of considerable humanity,which avoids a couple of bosses and some arses.

I went to confront Seath a couple of times, and I certainly didn't die due to curse. I think my natural resistance to curse is fairly high at this point. I remember getting cursed in the sewers and going through New Londo, although I do seem to recall an elevator or something being inaccessible. I do think I opened up a short cut to somewhere else, but I don't remember where, probably in the woods somewhere*.

I also tried (a long time ago) to confront the Fire Sage Demon donning a fire resistant shield and robes, but it was not enough.

*EDIT: I'm not actually sure about opening any short cut.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 14:48 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
I'm positive you don't have to kill the wolf to fight the boss of New Londo. IIRC the wolf is entirely optional - someone check, ta.

EDIT: no hang on, I'm thinking of Anor Londo. Still not sure you need to kill the Wolf though unless he has the ring? Which he might, then.

He does. It's the entire reason for Wolf killing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 14:51 
Paws for thought

lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I went to confront Seath a couple of times, and I certainly didn't die due to curse. I think my natural resistance to curse is fairly high at this point. I remember getting cursed in the sewers and go through New Londo, although I do seem to recall an elevator or something being inaccessible. I do think I opened up a short cut to somewhere else, but I don't remember where, probably in the woods somewhere.
yeah, until you get the Lord vessel, the uncursing dude on top of the building won't give you the key to the door to go to lower new londo. (you can kill him for it, mind)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 14:51 
Paws for thought

lasermink wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I went to confront Seath a couple of times, and I certainly didn't die due to curse. I think my natural resistance to curse is fairly high at this point. I remember getting cursed in the sewers and go through New Londo, although I do seem to recall an elevator or something being inaccessible. I do think I opened up a short cut to somewhere else, but I don't remember where, probably in the woods somewhere.
yeah, until you get the Lord vessel, the uncursing dude on top of the building won't give you the key to the door to go to lower new londo. (you can kill him for it, mind)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 14:57 
Bad Girl

I didn't realise until only last week that if you kill the kings and go back to him for a chin wag afterwards he turns up at Firelink.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 15:19 

Mr Dave wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

He does. It's the entire reason for Wolf killing.

noob lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 15:37 
Paws for thought

wolf should be fairly easy. I think it's one of two bosses that never killed me. (butterfly being the other, fact fans)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 16:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

As if by magic... Dark Souls is now on the backwards compatible list.

There was nothing standing in the way of me playing it, but it would be nice to try it again on the Xbox One.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

So... I tried to get into Dark Souls again last night. There's something about it that keeps drawing me in, but I don't think I can cope with the relentless difficulty. I know that's part of the fun but it does get on my wick when I keep getting killed, even by the simple bad guys.

Should I be using my parry technique more? I'm holding my shield up all the time but that doesn't seem to have much effect on a lot of the attacks that come my way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:27 
Paws for thought

It's not really that hard, just unforgiving.

As for parrying, I didn't ever parry on dark souls/dark souls 2. Indeed, I barely did it in bloodbourne either. Just keep stamina high and avoid being hit by attacks that your stamina can't soak.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 
Bad Girl

Yeah, I was terrible at parrying in all of those games too. Maybe you know this already but, for completeness, your stamina bar regenerates quickly when you don't have your shield raised so lower your shield between attacks to get your stamina back up. Bit obvious but just thought that might be why you're struggling against basic enemies.

Oh, and check your shield has 100% strike damage resistance. You can get some shields that only block, say, 60-90% incoming damage. Get a decent shield when you can.

Or maybe, you'd prefer to play the Bloodborne way? Get your equipment load under 60-80% or somewhere around that, and your movements will be quicker including a quicker roll that goes a greater distance. If you're doing a very slow roll (people call it "fat rolling" because you're too heavy) then you've got too much stuff on. Take off your heavy gear and get rolling. Handy for dodging attacks and especially some bosses although any hit can punish you.

Or maybe you like to play it my way? Tank mode. Get the biggest baddest armour and weapons and shove your stats into health, stamina and equipment load. Soak up that damage and power through. Shit for some bosses mind.

Or be a wizard!

Or a cleric!

No, don't be a cleric.

Or, y'know, get gud.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:36 
Paws for thought

Pyromanxy was always a good choice. Allows you to concentrate on physical traits, while still providing a decent magical source of damage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:44 
Hibernating Druid

Stick and move, kid. Or d'eyl moiderise ya.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 
Bad Girl

Is it 12th April yet? I've been avoiding all spoilers, articles and everything. I wish I hadn't even seen the tree monster I posted above but even then I've barely seen anything but the official trailer/adverts.

X CITE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've resorted to watching a let's play video on YouTube to see where I'm going wrong with Dark Souls.

This chap seems to not use a shield, helmet or gloves and he's constantly using both hands on his sword. Seems to be working for him! His knight is also much faster than mine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That video has done nothing but reinforce the fact that I don't think Dark Souls is for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:12 
Bad Girl

Anyone who is travelling light and two handing is going to be a pro at the game and has probably clocked it multiple times.

Just find a play style that works for you, turn the lights off and enjoy. I'd suggest playing as a tank, get a big weapon, best armour you can find and turtle your way through it behind your shield.

I didn't even typically enjoy these sorts of games (hell, I still hate Oblivion, Fallout 3 and that) but DS can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it.

Also, there's a Dark Souls thread, dontchaknow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:08 
Paws for thought

How to make an Ian jealous in one easy picture.

Attachment:
IMG_20160331_120211.jpg

Serves him right for trolling my S&S playthrough.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next