Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 13:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 2527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 13:57 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48176
Location: Nottingham
Yikes


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 20:17 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11934
Location: Oxford
Just finished 'How to lose a referendum' by Jason Farrell and Paul Goldsmith.

I've read Craig Oliver's 'Unleashing Demons' and Tim Shipman's page-turner, 'All out war', both of which centre on the campaign and the immediate past. This book is the first one I've read that attempts to analyse how we got to where we are. It starts all the way back in 1945 and progresses through missed opportunities, poor leadership, and not really selling the idea of Europe to Britain for 70 years to imply an inevitability about the outcome. Much to think and argue about, and recommended once you've read Tim Shipman's book.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:01 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 11308
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
Kern wrote:
I disagree. I think she would have warned David Cameron of the risks involved in rushing ahead with something just to get your most cibrushsille critics off your back.

BeExFeex.

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:14 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 2927
TheVision wrote:
A blue passport! Imagine the look on your kids faces when they see how blue they will be?

Can't wait.



Just renewed mine and have a 10 year EU one back, I wonder if I will have to send it in when we leave for a replacement ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:25 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41887
Location: West Yorkshire
I would have been more convinced of tje planning ahead of tje government, this morning, if, when questioned on details of how the the Eire/NI border would work, James Brokenshire had just replied "Wizards. We will do it with wizards".

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:31 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11934
Location: Oxford
I cringed watching the news last night when I heard the dreaded term, 'technological solutions'. Was the R4 interview as bad?

As far as I can tell, the current plan is to have our own customs system that's 100% devised for British needs but, by an amazing coincidence, is just the same as what we've got now, apart from being able to make the rules.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 29278
Kern wrote:
As far as I can tell, the current plan is to have our own customs system that's 100% devised for British needs but, by an amazing coincidence, is just the same as what we've got now, apart from being able to make the rules.

And the EU will sign up to this because reasons / stop talking Britain down / BMW is the tail that will wag the entire EU's dog because they have to sell us cars.

Depressing summary -> http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/08 ... -dog-s-bre


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11934
Location: Oxford
Ah, Ian Dunt. I enjoyed his book on it. Well, the same way I enjoyed Stephen King's 'Pet Cemetery' when I was 14.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:38 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11934
Location: Oxford
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BMW is the tail that will wag the entire EU's dog because they have to sell us cars.


Since 23 June 2016, I've not bought one BMW.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:40 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 29278
Kern wrote:
Since 23 June 2016, I've not bought one BMW.

So how many did you buy? Two? Three? Brexit demands all patriotic Brits to buy BMWs so the EU won't fuck us over.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:41 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41887
Location: West Yorkshire
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
Since 23 June 2016, I've not bought one BMW.

So how many did you buy? Two? Three? Brexit demands all patriotic Brits to buy BMWs so the EU won't fuck us over.


Company cars here now jags not bmw

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41887
Location: West Yorkshire
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
As far as I can tell, the current plan is to have our own customs system that's 100% devised for British needs but, by an amazing coincidence, is just the same as what we've got now, apart from being able to make the rules.

And the EU will sign up to this because reasons / stop talking Britain down / BMW is the tail that will wag the entire EU's dog because they have to sell us cars.

Depressing summary -> http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/08 ... -dog-s-bre


Wizards

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41887
Location: West Yorkshire
Kern wrote:
I cringed watching the news last night when I heard the dreaded term, 'technological solutions'. Was the R4 interview as bad?

As far as I can tell, the current plan is to have our own customs system that's 100% devised for British needs but, by an amazing coincidence, is just the same as what we've got now, apart from being able to make the rules.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4094709 ... ws_central

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48176
Location: Nottingham
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
Since 23 June 2016, I've not bought one BMW.

So how many did you buy? Two? Three? Brexit demands all patriotic Brits to buy BMWs so the EU won't fuck us over.

I bought a 15 year old Merc if that helps at all


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:17 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45111
I saw a tweet from Brian Cox saying something along the lines of "I have a facial expression reserved for people who think the earth is flat. I was wearing that expression while reading the government paper on the future of the customs union"

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25753
Location: Kidbrooke
The paper doesn't look good from reading a few summaries. I shall read the actual thing in due course.

From what I gather, the best case scenario is frictionless @ the customs side because we will have a certified equivalent standard to the EU?

So that's us having to adhere to all EU guidelines but without any input into them whatsoever?

Is that what others have taken away from it? Please correct if wrong.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:37 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45111
Curiosity wrote:
The paper doesn't look good from reading a few summaries. I shall read the actual thing in due course.

From what I gather, the best case scenario is frictionless @ the customs side because we will have a certified equivalent standard to the EU?

So that's us having to adhere to all EU guidelines but without any input into them whatsoever?

Is that what others have taken away from it? Please correct if wrong.


"We'll have a hard border with Ireland, but we just won't put any border guards or customs officers there, and people will behave because magic"

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:42 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11934
Location: Oxford
Cras wrote:
"We'll have a hard border with Ireland, but we just won't put any border guards or customs officers there, and people will behave because magic"


In years to come this will be known as an 'Irish border'. As in, 'Jeff's threat to that bloke was just an Irish Border' or 'we didn't want to interrupt the flow of the lawn as it meets the patio so fitted an Irish Border'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 
User avatar
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Joined: 18th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11394
isn't it a type of dog?

_________________
No, it was a giant robot castle!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:54 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42362
Location: The erogenous zone
Irish Border marks out Irish Border:


_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:12 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45111
Kern wrote:
Cras wrote:
"We'll have a hard border with Ireland, but we just won't put any border guards or customs officers there, and people will behave because magic"


In years to come this will be known as an 'Irish border'. As in, 'Jeff's threat to that bloke was just an Irish Border' or 'we didn't want to interrupt the flow of the lawn as it meets the patio so fitted an Irish Border'.


Pretty sure it will come to be known as a Gazchap border.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:15 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48176
Location: Nottingham
Cras wrote:
Kern wrote:
Cras wrote:
"We'll have a hard border with Ireland, but we just won't put any border guards or customs officers there, and people will behave because magic"


In years to come this will be known as an 'Irish border'. As in, 'Jeff's threat to that bloke was just an Irish Border' or 'we didn't want to interrupt the flow of the lawn as it meets the patio so fitted an Irish Border'.


Pretty sure it will come to be known as a Gazchap border.

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:43 

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 18299
Cras wrote:
I saw a tweet from Brian Cox saying something along the lines of "I have a facial expression reserved for people who think the earth is flat. I was wearing that expression while reading the government paper on the future of the customs union"


Bull. Brian Cox has got literally one facial expression.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:46 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11934
Location: Oxford
I've just realised that when the customs talks fail, the government will spin it as 'bonkers Eurocrats want to stop your booze cruise' rather than, say, a complete and utter failure of policy planning or negotiation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 5000
I think that may well have been the plan all along. No planning or preparation, and point finger at EU when everything goes to hell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 13:00 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13926
I think that's giving too much credit. The only plan they had was that the referendum was going to go the other way. The only plan they have had ever since can be summed up as "oh shit".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 13:05 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11934
Location: Oxford
Remember kids: if you spend 40 years opposing something, be sure to have a plan ready when you get your victory.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 13:06 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25753
Location: Kidbrooke
Kern wrote:
Remember kids: if you spend 40 years opposing something, be sure to have a plan ready when you get your victory.


It's a longer term version of the Republicans and the ACA.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 13:07 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 9914
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:


That really is scary.

If Davis and Boris and friends were in charge of, say, organising your wedding, and at this stage of proceedings you asked them how the plans were going, and the answer to everything was 'Mali's Wizards', you'd immediately sack them and never let them be in charge of anything ever again.

Then you'd cancel the wedding because you never loved the person that much anyway and had realised the whole thing was a horrible mistake.

_________________
Proudly charging wirelessly since 2014


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 13:08 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11934
Location: Oxford
Hearthly wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:


That really is scary.

If Davis and Boris and friends were in charge of, say, organising your wedding, and at this stage of proceedings you asked them how the plans were going, and the answer to everything was 'Mali's Wizards', you'd immediately sack them and never let them be in charge of anything ever again.

Then you'd cancel the wedding because you never loved the person that much anyway and had realised the whole thing was a horrible mistake.


She was 52% into me! No going back!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 2527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: markg, Morse, Pod People, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.