Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:12 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Thanks to our "broken housing market", there's a lot of people mortgaged to the absolute hilt

Can people still get in that situation? I have maybe 60% equity in my house, I called my lender and asked them to run through a scenario where I borrowed more money. I would also be providing the same amount of money myself to buy a house at what we think is our maximum price range.

This time my wife is not in the calculation as she no longer works, but the multiplier is higher foe one person.

They not only knocked me back but said that the computer told them to lend me 20K less than I have outstanding already! The extra borrowing would have seen a lower monthly payment than I've had for the last 6 years prior to moving to a cheaper deal in December.

The women said it was because I have 3 dependants (one of them doesn't arrive until April) and that I had told them I spend £400 on child care.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:23 

asfish wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to our "broken housing market", there's a lot of people mortgaged to the absolute hilt

Can people still get in that situation?
Plenty of 3-5 year fixed terms around at very low interest. Add a few percent to base rates, and people exiting those deals find their monthly repayments going up by significant chunks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:30 

Also I got pre-approval recently for about 4.8x my base salary at 90% LTV.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:32 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Who was that with? My lender (Leeds) said the 4.8 was what they were using and that should have given me what I wanted and more.

Guess I could just go to another bank and omit have the outgoings I mentioned to my current lender :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:33 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Just guessing really but won't there be an index where the risk is lower as the salary goes up or something. i.e. you probably wouldn't get that if you were earning £20K a year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:33 

asfish wrote:
Who was that with?

Virgin. It was just a speculative thing I filled out on a whim.

My base salary is only around 2/3rds of my current compensation, so that's probably why it was so high.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:35 

markg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Just guessing really but won't there be an index where the risk is lower as the salary goes up or something. i.e. you probably wouldn't get that if you were earning £20K a year.

I don't know. I suspect it's more complex than that, though. I was soft credit checked for this so there was a lot of my data going into that calculation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:43 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

markg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

That is the case. Mortgages are on affordability now so the 'old' key metrics of 3x salary aren't particularly relevant either at lower or higher incomes.

That said you're looking at a 3 hour interview now to remortgage with the same provider. Research on this is putting me off my own plan to extend my current mortgage later this year. Getting this one that comes to renewal was hard enough to explain in the "easy" days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:43 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
asfish wrote:
Who was that with?

Virgin. It was just a speculative thing I filled out on a whim.

My base salary is only around 2/3rds of my current compensation, so that's probably why it was so high.

I never quite worked out what lending they do against bonus and shares etc

Always got the impressions that bonus carried more weight than shares though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:48 

asfish wrote:
I never quite worked out what lending they do against bonus and shares etc

Always got the impressions that bonus carried more weight than shares though.

It's very opaque and varies considerably across lenders, is my impression, which was mostly gained from skimming internal mailing list threads about my colleagues going for mortgages. When I get serious about this I'll read those threads properly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:35 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
That said you're looking at a 3 hour interview now to remortgage with the same provider. Research on this is putting me off my own plan to extend my current mortgage later this year. Getting this one that comes to renewal was hard enough to explain in the "easy" days.

Is that "new"? My fixed rate ended in September last year and about a month before it was due to end my provider sent me a letter offering me another mortgage product that was on a fixed rate for 2 years, at a lower interest rate than I was on.

Taking them up on the offer was literally a case of saying "yup, cool" and signing the documents they sent me through the post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:43 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

GazChap wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Is that "new"? My fixed rate ended in September last year and about a month before it was due to end my provider sent me a letter offering me another mortgage product that was on a fixed rate for 2 years, at a lower interest rate than I was on.

Taking them up on the offer was literally a case of saying "yup, cool" and signing the documents they sent me through the post.

New but likely only in terms of increased credit risk for the bank in question, such as increasing borrowing or decreasing term, or moving betwixt banks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:53 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

:this:

Same for me I went to a section of my providers website and it showed me all the products I could have. I choose one online, signed some documents which I was able to scan and email them. Then bingo another 10 years fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 15:34 
Sitting balls-back folder

We're 60% LTVing a 5 year fix on our new home (fingers crossed this one goes through, we had to withdraw from the last because an unmortgagable deed covenant ruined it after 5 months left us a couple of thousand out of pocket).

The loan is 'only' 3.6x combined salary but a 23 year term means a faintly staggering monthly payment.

I'm a bit worried, but it IS a lovely house.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 16:30 
Best
Board Mother

I keep looking at houses. I'm itching to do another one (I know, I need to finish this one first...).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 23:18 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/20 ... tion-open/

"Oxford University might break with 700 years of tradition by establishing its first foreign campus in response to Brexit, The Telegraph can disclose. French officials met senior staff at Oxford last week and revealed new proposals that they hope would guarantee future European Union funding for a "satellite" base in Paris."

Christ.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 23:32 

Oxford only really became a popular place of learning after Henry II stopped English students going to Paris. Oh, the irony.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/02/19/exclusive-oxford-university-set-break-700-years-tradition-open/

"Oxford University might break with 700 years of tradition by establishing its first foreign campus in response to Brexit, The Telegraph can disclose. French officials met senior staff at Oxford last week and revealed new proposals that they hope would guarantee future European Union funding for a "satellite" base in Paris."

Christ.

This is a heck of a vote of no confidence in the likelihood of future governments continuing such funding. But hey, control.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:44 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Well, actually, it is just prudent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 

Talking in Estonia, David Davis said yesterday that we wouldn't reduce EU migration into the UK for "years and years" and that we will still need significant immigration of unskilled workers from the EU after Brexit.

So... no £350m per week for the NHS, the government has admitted our Parliament has always been sovereign, and now we're saying we won't reduce immigration either. Why are we doing this, again?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:11 

To reunite the Tory party. Which I'm sure we can all agree is a worthwhile goal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No, that's why we had a referendum.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:41 

Blue passports and bananas. And something about the lack of a crown on a pint glass.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:45 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Talking in Estonia, David Davis said yesterday that we wouldn't reduce EU migration into the UK for "years and years" and that we will still need significant immigration of unskilled workers from the EU after Brexit.

At least he's being honest, and if it suggests that Mrs May's talk of going down is only bluster that can only be an improvement on what we've heard so far. But really, it's not going to satisfy anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:54 

If you've heard talk of a "€60bn divorce settlement" but don't understand it, this is a pretty good summary: http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/02 ... ve-minutes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 13:02 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If you've heard talk of a "€60bn divorce settlement" but don't understand it, this is a pretty good summary: http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/02 ... ve-minutes

That's a really clear and concise piece, thanks for that.

Quote:
Lorries will be queuing from Dover to London trying to get into the EU

I was reading about this threat in the Grauniad yesterday. Regardless of how bad this will be for trade (and how those people who hate 'EU Red Tape' will enjoy customs forms - bad enough filling the small green ones out in the post office when sending crap to the US), sustained television pictures of prolonged disputes and the resultant traffic chaos would likely seriously damage whoever is in power at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:11 

https://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/news ... ouncement/

EU funding to poor parts of Cornwall: £60m per year
UK offer to replace that funding post-Brexit: £18m over three years

Who would have thought that a government famous for grinding austerity measures might not maintain the current generous levels of EU subsidies?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 

183,000 people in Cornwall voted Brexit; 140,000 voted remain. So really, I'm struggling a bit.

As you say, this (or any) Tory government is completely, and ideologically opposed to subsidies; what other outcome to this vote and local mandate could have possibly been expected?

Reap what you sow etc.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:08 
Gogmagog

:(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:12 
Gogmagog

So, the difference between EU funding and government funding is £54MM a year?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's okay, the whole place will have more £££ because more people will BUY BRITISH.

Right?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:32 

I seriously doubt it.
Essentially, it seems akin to turkeys voting for Christmas.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:58 

Cavey wrote:
As you say, this (or any) Tory government is completely, and ideologically opposed to subsidies; what other outcome to this vote and local mandate could have possibly been expected?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:01 
Hello Hello Hello

He meant the other Tory government.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:18 
Sleepyhead

Hearthly wrote:
He meant the other Tory government.

Quite.

Regarding Brexit, there will be winners and losers. The winners will be those who are operationally or fiscally able to adapt to the new landscape. This might be organisations with enough clout or capital to take direct measure, or those small and nimble enough to take advantages of hither to unseen opportunities.

I think that even the pro-Brexit people on the whole realise it is going to be a gigantic pain in the ass for the next couple of years; they just think it will be worth it for the long term effect. I am sceptical of that, but equally do want to see a country that works so am hoping for the best.

On immigration, i thought I saw something that said that the net inflow was now lower due to fewer people coming and more leaving due to feeling unwelcome or being uncertain of their future?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 

Curiosity wrote:
On immigration, i thought I saw something that said that the net inflow was now lower due to fewer people coming and more leaving due to feeling unwelcome or being uncertain of their future?

It was a chunk lower last year (it's measured Sep-to-Sep for some reason.) Faisal Islam had some analysis suggesting it most mostly down to reduced intake of students, in particular from Asia; with other demographics being close to flat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:27 

I literally haven't the first clue what people are going on about here. My position is that Cornwall was stupid enough to very strongly vote for Brexit, so I have zero sympathy. No idea what this other shite is all about. You do know I voted against Brexit, right?

Then again, Mrs C and I got trollied last night, so I'm not at my best right now to be frank.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:30 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:

If people are that stupid so as to believe that shite - so heavily discredited even at the time - and vote in their droves for posters of Nigel Farage standing in front of queues of refugees etc.... well, I have no sympathy. IMO? Tough.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 13:43 

What about the 140000 who didn't vote for it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 14:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:

They should be the ones that get the money.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 14:43 
Sleepyhead

Cavey wrote:
I literally haven't the first clue what people are going on about here. My position is that Cornwall was stupid enough to very strongly vote for Brexit, so I have zero sympathy. No idea what this other shite is all about. You do know I voted against Brexit, right?

Then again, Mrs C and I got trollied last night, so I'm not at my best right now to be frank.

I think most people are agreeing with that. The rest of the stuff is about different conversations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 15:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

It was a chunk lower last year (it's measured Sep-to-Sep for some reason.) Faisal Islam had some analysis suggesting it most mostly down to reduced intake of students, in particular from Asia; with other demographics being close to flat.

Let us not forget of course that for a first world country with a low birth rate and extremely high costs of paying for pensions and health care for the elderly, low immigration is an economic disaster. But let's still celebrate the numbers, eh? Idiot British red top press.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:14 

Oh, for sure. Japan is a perfect example. And celebrating a decline in student figures -- people who contribute to a brain drain in Britain's favour and who pay sky-high University fees -- is doubly stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:17 

Cras wrote:
But let's still celebrate the numbers, eh? Idiot British red top press.

And Conservative manifesto promises to reduced immigration to "tens of thousands", remember.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:18 

markg wrote:

Democracy huh? It's a bitch.
I suppose I'd be more sympathetic if the Cornish Brexit vote wasn't some 12+ points ahead of its Remain vote - but it was, so frankly, I'm not.

As for all this stuff about it being the Tories' fault we had the Brexit referendum, that's quite true, I do concede. But seriously, it was coming to a head regardless; whether it's right, wrong or simply the imagined grievances of our 'marvelous'† Fleet Street journalists, the day of reckoning was coming anyway. Just like it is for much of Northern Europe, and the Euro itself; IMO the Tories just hastened the inevitable by a couple of years, that's all.

I know it's all very boring and predictable of me, but I just wish we still had the EEC as was and an economic free trading area, not some unachievable political grand design/wet dream, and a long-term unsustainable currency. But hey, that milk was spilled many years ago.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:23 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Yeah, celebrating a decrease in Asian students is fucking lunacy. They come into the country, pay hundreds of thousands of pounds for no tangible product, then clear of again. Yes, let's stop that!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:25 

Cavey wrote:
markg wrote:

Democracy huh? It's a bitch.
I suppose I'd be more sympathetic if the Cornish Brexit vote wasn't some 12+ points ahead of its Remain vote - but it was, so frankly, I'm not.

As for all this stuff about it being the Tories' fault we had the Brexit referendum, that's quite true, I do concede. But seriously, it was coming to a head regardless; whether it's right, wrong or simply the imagined grievances of our 'marvelous'† Fleet Street journalists, the day of reckoning was coming anyway. Just like it is for much of Northern Europe, and the Euro itself; IMO the Tories just hastened the inevitable by a couple of years, that's all.

It was always going to come to a head through decades of the Tories and their press friends stirring up anti-EU sentiment. UKIP are a Tory splinter group. But whatever you need to tell yourself I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:32 

Heh. I come on here and say "It was the Tories' fault" (not for the first time either), and yet I'm kidding myself according to you...? I couldn't be any clearer on this.

I'm still waiting for an acknowledgement of Labour's catastrophic failures in office, even 'just' the big ones i.e. their lack of banking regulation and the disasters of Iraq and Afghanistan.... but there, in a nutshell, is one of the key, fundamental temperamental differences between, say, middle of the road, common-or-garden right of centre conservatives (i.e. a huge chunk of the British electorate), and Corbynite Lefties. But this goes back to the whole post-truth echo-chamber syndrome I've previously mentioned; same goes for Trump supporters, Cybernats etc.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:44 

No, you posted to say the referendum was the fault of the Tories...but. Any then you said how it would have happened anyway. I took issue with that point and you started dribbling on about loads of totally unrelated shite.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:52 

Cavey wrote:
I'm still waiting for an acknowledgement of Labour's catastrophic failures in office, even 'just' the big ones i.e. their lack of banking regulation

Oh, we're back on this.

Cras wrote:
Come on, man. I've never voted labour a day in my life, I'm anything but an apologist. I'd suggest that I am most likely to be the forum's best informed person (dubious honour though that is) on financial regulatory matters, however. There is no such thing as a UK financial regulatory environment. There hasn't been a UK financial regulatory environment since the eighties. Every single piece of regulation is agreed by every regulator. The reasons for this should be obvious - the minute one place becomes overly onerous to operate in, banks will shift operations elsewhere. That's why we never ended up with the 'Robin Hood Tax', or similar. The UK makes too much from the City to enforce any punishing level of regulation, and most other countries are in the same boat.

So what you have is effectively a cartel. A global group of banks, and a global group of regulators. Now the regulators do a decent job of tightening up the rules - Basel3 is a great example of something done post-crash to greatly improve the survivability of financial institutions by enforcing higher capital reserves - but everything they do is agreement by committee. If the UK wants to triple capital reserves and the US doesn't, it flat out doesn't happen.

So the light-touch banking regulation absolutely cannot be put at New Labour's door. It just can't. Literally the only thing they could have done is stood up, said 'fuck banking', implemented entirely their own UK-specific regulatory environment, and gutted the country's economy overnight.

Now, how the crisis was handled, you can absolutely blame Labour for, if you like. The response to it was entirely within their own control. Should they have bailed out the banks? I say yes, but of course that's motivated in no small measure by self-interest. Even without self-interest, of course, you're talking about a huge number of jobs and a massive impact to customers if the businesses go under. A lot of the choices that were made were excellent ones - the Special Liquidity scheme, as well as underwriting the FSCS to make sure that customers didn't lose their money when the banks did. There's plenty of arguments to be made on both sides there, of course.

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 131  Next