Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summer holidays
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 17:35 
Decapodian

Kern wrote:
Now I'm thinking I should be considering Germany too (albeit perhaps not to see how well the Lacetti really handles corners at high speed).

Hmm...perhaps a long weekend in Berlin or Hamburg later in the year might be in order?

Berlin certainly looks promising, and copious amounts of beer with meat-inna-bun can't hurt.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 18:14 

Going camping this weekend, provided I can find a decent campsite that still has pitches available.

Jem and I have a week off booked towards the mid-end of July, but no plans yet. Thinking somewhere like Andalucia, or I may consider Portugal again...

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 18:20 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Given the boy can't leave the country without the help of Make A Wish (£2,500 for three days travel insurance to go to eurodisney, ffs) and actually we have to go through a load of admin to leave the county overnight, I'm looking at buying a tent. If its going to be to somewhere uninspiring he may as well get a kick out of unusual accommodation options.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 21:40 
Excellent Member

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Kern wrote:
Now I'm thinking I should be considering Germany too (albeit perhaps not to see how well the Lacetti really handles corners at high speed).

Hmm...perhaps a long weekend in Berlin or Hamburg later in the year might be in order?

Berlin certainly looks promising, and copious amounts of beer with meat-inna-bun can't hurt.

Berlin is fucking awesome, I've been there on holiday probably about 12 times.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 21:43 
Decapodian

Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 22:30 
Isn't that lovely?

I think he's re come ding Berlin?

;)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 22:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malc wrote:
I think he's re come ding Berlin?

;)

Someone’s hacked Malc’s account.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Given the boy can't leave the country without the help of Make A Wish (£2,500 for three days travel insurance to go to eurodisney, ffs) and actually we have to go through a load of admin to leave the county overnight, I'm looking at buying a tent. If its going to be to somewhere uninspiring he may as well get a kick out of unusual accommodation options.

Come camp on Wandsworth Common. We'll get shitted, it'll be ace.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:15 

Decided to go for the south of France. Two weeks at the end of August, by train. I've always wanted to ride a TGV.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:00 
Excellent Member

Had a week in Spain in early May and just got back from a week in Yorkshire

Not got any more plans as yet

My father in law is a bit under the weather so my wife is going to Dublin for a week every couple of months, so I'm tending to stay at home and take a few days off to catch up on the garden and other house jobs that I never have time for anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:19 
Paws for thought

nickachu wrote:
Kern wrote:
nickachu wrote:
Working all summer. Will hopefully get myself to American again in Octoberish time.

Via the Cottage, natch.

It's a bit of a way for me :(

Look, if Saturnalian can make it, so can you.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:27 
Awesome
Yes

Kern wrote:
Decided to go for the south of France. Two weeks at the end of August, by train. I've always wanted to ride a TGV.

Do I remember my French lessons correctly that this stands for Tres Grande Vitesse? In which case it means Very Big Speed. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 13:05 
Excellent Member

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Any recommendations?

• Go to the dome on top of the Reichstag. You need to register in advance for this for security reason but that's massively better than the previous system which was 'queue for a billion hours'. Now you just turn up at the appointed time and pretty much walk right in.
  • Book to eat lunch or dinner up the TV Tower. There's a great view due to the height and the fact that the restaurant revolves constantly; plus the food was pretty damn good when I was last there.
  • Check out the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. It sounds hella depressing but it's actually very, very cool and weird and definitely worth experiencing.
  • If the weather's decent go for a walk in Tiergarten. It's massive and a very chilled out place to be, especially if you go to the Cafe am Neuen See beer garden.
  • Still on my own 'to do' list is to explore the Spreepark. It was a funfair in the middle of a park that was shut down years ago without being properly cleared out so you now get the spectacle of all these old rides and fun park furniture being slowly over taken by the landscape. There's some pictures of it here and you can now apparently legally book a tour here.
  • Similarly there's the remains of an allied listening post in Teufelsberg that's been left to rack and ruin leaving some spectacularly odd imagery. Like Spreepark you used to have to sneak in but you can legally book tours here.
  • In previous years a visit to Tacheles would've been on my list of recommendations but that's long since closed now. :(
  • Depending on your taste in music a visit to Paule's Metal Eck is a must, if only to marvel at the cheesy metal decor inside. Indeed that whole street and the surrounding district of Friedrichshain is filled with good restaurants and bars.
  • I usually fit in a trip to the Liquidrom spa. It's not cheap but it's incredibly relaxing, with the definite highlight being the massive salt water pool with ambient music piped in underwater so you can hear it tinkle away as you float around. That main central image on the website there is the pool in question which is a sight to behold in and of itself.
  • If you're in a drinking mood there's a branch of The Pub in Berlin which puts a beer tap on your table then allows you to 'compete' with the other tables in Berlin, and indeed in all branches across Europe, to see who's drinking the most booze.

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting but having a browse through the Unlike pages for Berlin will find you a load of interesting stuff as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 13:37 
Excellent Member

I don't think it'll be possible this year for anything fancy. I'm probably going to a week or so to the southwest of the country, do some bodyboarding and get tanned.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 13:41 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Sheffield for a couple of weeks hopefully. I'm also supposed to be going to Beirut for a long weekend at the end of July as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 13:44 

Bamba wrote:
I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting but having a browse through the Unlike pages for Berlin will find you a load of interesting stuff as well.

Great list Bamba, thanks for that. Will have to bookmark it so I can refer back to it when I go there.

Last edited by Grim... on Tue May 19, 2015 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed the quote

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 14:46 
Excellent Painter

We're going to Venice the last week of July for three nights and then to Begur in northern Spain in the middle of July for 4 nights. That's it so far.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 14:54 
Excellent Painter

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Pembrokeshire is very beautiful and there are some excellent campsites near Freshwater west, which is a fantastic beach for kids. Alternatively rent a house inland, near Narberth. It isn't very big, so getting to any part of the coast usually only takes 30 mins in a car and you have Morriston hospital in Swansea about 45mins away in the worse case scenario. It's also pretty quiet there, as in nowhere near as busy as many coastal resorts. It does suffer from a lack of great pubs, but there are a few.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 14:55 
Unpossible!

DBSnappa wrote:
We're going to Venice the last week of July for three nights and then to Begur in northern Spain in the middle of July for 4 nights. That's it so far.

Well, begurs can't be choosers!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 15:40 

DBSnappa wrote:

Are you taking the Delorean or the phonebox? ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 15:51 
Decapodian

Bamba wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Any recommendations?

• Go to the dome on top of the Reichstag. You need to register in advance for this for security reason but that's massively better than the previous system which was 'queue for a billion hours'. Now you just turn up at the appointed time and pretty much walk right in.
  • Book to eat lunch or dinner up the TV Tower. There's a great view due to the height and the fact that the restaurant revolves constantly; plus the food was pretty damn good when I was last there.
  • Check out the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. It sounds hella depressing but it's actually very, very cool and weird and definitely worth experiencing.
  • If the weather's decent go for a walk in Tiergarten. It's massive and a very chilled out place to be, especially if you go to the Cafe am Neuen See beer garden.
  • Still on my own 'to do' list is to explore the Spreepark. It was a funfair in the middle of a park that was shut down years ago without being properly cleared out so you now get the spectacle of all these old rides and fun park furniture being slowly over taken by the landscape. There's some pictures of it here and you can now apparently legally book a tour here.
  • Similarly there's the remains of an allied listening post in Teufelsberg that's been left to rack and ruin leaving some spectacularly odd imagery. Like Spreepark you used to have to sneak in but you can legally book tours here.
  • In previous years a visit to Tacheles would've been on my list of recommendations but that's long since closed now. :(
  • Depending on your taste in music a visit to Paule's Metal Eck is a must, if only to marvel at the cheesy metal decor inside. Indeed that whole street and the surrounding district of Friedrichshain is filled with good restaurants and bars.
  • I usually fit in a trip to the Liquidrom spa. It's not cheap but it's incredibly relaxing, with the definite highlight being the massive salt water pool with ambient music piped in underwater so you can hear it tinkle away as you float around. That main central image on the website there is the pool in question which is a sight to behold in and of itself.
  • If you're in a drinking mood there's a branch of The Pub in Berlin which puts a beer tap on your table then allows you to 'compete' with the other tables in Berlin, and indeed in all branches across Europe, to see who's drinking the most booze.

Very handy, thanks. I'd not heard of most of those.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 16:04 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

DBSnappa wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Pembrokeshire is very beautiful and there are some excellent campsites near Freshwater west, which is a fantastic beach for kids. Alternatively rent a house inland, near Narberth. It isn't very big, so getting to any part of the coast usually only takes 30 mins in a car and you have Morriston hospital in Swansea about 45mins away in the worse case scenario. It's also pretty quiet there, as in nowhere near as busy as many coastal resorts. It does suffer from a lack of great pubs, but there are a few.

We holidays in Tenby every year when I was a kid so that is top of our list for next year. Particularly oakwood. This summer we can't easily achieve 5 consecutive days out of the shire though, so its a little far.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:58 
Excellent Painter

Kern wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

Duh :facepalm: that should be Venice in June ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:08 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Tenerife for a week in July, for only the cost of the flight and spending dosh, as a friend of ours has just bought a house there and has invited us over to celebrate.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 17:36 
Best
Board Mother

DBSnappa wrote:
Kern wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

Duh :facepalm: that should be Venice in June ;)

We're going in September. I look forward to your recommendations! :)

We're off to London a couple of times too, but only for a night and day trip. Oh, and the BBQ. Joans is going to the cottage too, but there's a good chance I won't make that. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 19:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What the actual fuck?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 19:40 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

GazChap wrote:
I may consider Portugal again...

Sounds ominous.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 19:48 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:
What the actual fuck?

I'm boycotting due to lack of bedtime stories. :(

*not really

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 20:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Wat.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 21:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Make her come, Cras! Make her come!

[edit] ...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 21:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 22:48 
Best
Board Mother

... ... ... ?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 22:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That’s about as much noise as Cras ever causes them to make.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 22:56 

But I'm still coming though (to the cottage :hat:) :luv:
Guys...? :'(

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:26 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:

But how do you know?!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:06 
Gogmagog

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:

But how do you know?!

PLOT TWIST!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 13:34 
Excellent Member

Ooh, in a surprise twist a mate of mine has just forged ahead with an attempt to arrange a weekend away with a few of us going somewhere like Ibiza in September. Whether this comes off will depend on the people involved of course but I've rarely managed a holiday with friends over the years (they're all generally too coupled up or too skint or too weird) so this would be really nice.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 21:16 

The gf and I spent 3 days in Florence a couple of weeks ago. Spectacular place, and excellent food and wine, and while it wasn't cheap it wasn't really that expensive either. Next month we will go 4 days to Asturias, which should be excellent and cheap.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 22:28 

Growing increasingly annoyed at travel websites that insist that you put in a departure airport and a destination airport before showing you prices.

Fucking fucks, just show me everything you have for the dates I've specified and I'll decide which airport and destination I want then!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 23:11 
Bad Girl

I want to go to Ibiza. Take me Bamba! I know all the songs: that dum, dum, dum one and that one that goes tish, tish, tish, tish. I wanna go Cafe Mambo!

Shame I'm too old and no one wants to go with me. Scumbag friends.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 22:31 
Ready for action

Bamba that list of things to do in Berlin is great, I'll need to remember that's here!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 22:50 
Esoteric

To be honest I don't bother with summer holidays on account of living about 50ft from a beach. When summer comes we go there all day.

I also don't bode too well around children, they make me really nervous. So we usually go away in September, the week after they all go back.

I got married on Jan 2nd and went on a 30 day cruise to the caribean so I'm done with foreign countries now as it was awful.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 16:20 

Summer holiday booked!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 16:21 
Unpossible!

9 days!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 16:22 
Excellent Member

I wish I could have a holiday :( My only plans for going anywhere this year, involves taking a van to Ikea... Woo!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:22 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Yay! Four days booked in Beirut for the end of July / start of August. Really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:49 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Extra Yay, flights booked to come back to the UK at the end of August.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 16:50 
Best
Board Mother

Ooh, that's in plenty of time for the cottage! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 17:12 
Unpossible!

I am in menorca.

I am tanned.

I am watching the chase in German.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:18 

Bamba wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Any recommendations?

Bumping this to the top because I'm really excited about my holiday to Berlin next week. Thanks Bamba for the suggestions! Most likely will do some of them. Already booked the Reichstag and the TV Tower.

After Berlin I'm off to Ruegen Island for leisurely seaside hikes then taking a ferry to Sweden to visit Malmo and Ystan before returning for a final night in Berlin.

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next