Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Post subject: Super Mario 3D World
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 23:31 
Bad Girl

When I'm in the mood for Mario, it's awesome. Especially this one: cat suits, tooki-thing suits, levels that add in something and throw it away the next. You want multiple Toads? Here's one level of it, enjoy. You want to jump in a giant skate for a bit and slide around the ice? Here, go nuts but just for this level, aye?

It's all here and it's all good. So why is no one raving about this? It's typical Mario after all.

Problem is, it ain't Mario Galaxy so there's no rotating planet worlds, and it ain't Mario Sunshine so the clocks tickin till you die, and it might be Mario 64 but I've never ever played it so I don't know. Yes, never played it and it's supposed to be the greatest thing ever. Mind you, it's on the Wii store so I might get it after all. Oh, where was I? Oh and the music is lovely scrumptious but, well, aside from the opening too it's not blowing my socks off; sonically, that is.

... and gameplay-wise too, unfortunately. It's good. It's nice. It's fun. It's challenging in places. I just ain't got this overwhelming desire to play more although I have rocked through the first 3 worlds in an afternoon.

It's all kind of linear and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of secret world's so far. It's just a straight path and a choice of two worlds if you're lucky.

What's wrong with me? Am I dead inside. I'll play more tomorrow and see if I'm had enough of Mario's shit.

Post subject: Re: Super Mario 3D World
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:55 
SavyGamer

It's a b tier Mario game, but yes that is a few leagues above most other games.

I only played it in single player, but it did feel like a few compromises had been made with level design to make all the levels work with up to 4 players. The controls are way simplified compared to any of the previous 3D games (actually a trend that has been going on since Mario 64: Each game has dialed down the complexity of the controls, for better or worse), and there's very few large areas, and much less exploration than some of the other games.

It's not particularly ambitious, and there's not really many new ideas in there, but I really enjoyed it. There's some fantastic moments, and it's a hell of a looker. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:09 
Bad Girl

I was hankering for a few Mario Sunshine mega-levels where you can explore and just enjoy some happy plinky plonky music in a Mario sandbox but all there is here is just linear level after linear level. Even Galaxy had some big levels to explore (Galaxy 2, less so IIRC, once they made the move from a central hub to a straight map/level design).

I'm not sure it'd be masses of fun with 4 players either (not that I have anyone that wants to play it with me). When you replay a level in come a bunch of Miis that are just crushing the screen with their presence, darting about like tits, when all I want to do is mop up any Green Stars I've missed.

B-Tier is about right. I'd suggest that Mario needs a kick up his backside and an experiment with something like Sunshine again (which everyone hates but is actually absolutely brilliant).

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:51 
SavyGamer

Even 3D Land has bigger levels and more exploration.

I'm fairly confident that the Mario team will have moved right over to the next big Mario game by now. There's one team that makes the NSMB games, and another that make the mainline 3D games. Since there was no sizable DLC for 3D World (rumour goes that Treasure Tracker was supposed to be DLC, but those bits were so well received that they expanded it into a full game), I can't imagine what else they'd be doing. Games like Smash and Mario Kart, you get one per console, so the DLC support makes a lot of sense, but I could imagine Nintendo putting out another 3D Mario for the Wii U. Won't be out til late 2016 at the earliest though.

I like Mario Sunshine. This guy's videos are pretty dry and monotone, but I really enjoyed his series on the mainline 3D Mario games. His point about FLUDD lowering the skill floor, but raising the skill ceiling, is spot on. Sunshine had problems, but it's also got some well implemented ideas.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 13:07 
Bad Girl

I've just listened to his Oddworld New & Tasy comparison. Man, he's grumpy (but he makes 'some' good points).

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 13:35 
SavyGamer

That's him at his most abrasive, I'd say. He's not wrong though.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 14:00 
Bad Girl

I've just watched the Sunshine one and now I want to watch the rest. Mainly to relive some of Galaxy without having to boot it up but also because it nice to see someone slagging off Mario for a change without moaning about it being too difficult. The games are still peerless though.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 16:38 
Participant in dramatic games

I somehow mossed sunshine, and after this i mighht look if i can find it.. (Seems like a good eshoo downlaod nintendo.. Get us some gamecube games!)

I love mario 3d world, especially since my niece loves it, full of little ideas, but as said before it is not galaxy bĂșt it makes me happy..

Mario 3d land is te best mario of this generation though.. Some perfectly fit on the 3ds...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 21:40 
Bad Girl

Yeah, I'm kinda loving that guy's videos now. I see his loves the Souls games and he thinks Shadow of the Collosus is "one of the greatest games" he's ever played. Subscribed.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:17 
SavyGamer

I don't think Gamecube games will get an eShop release, unless they are fully remade like Wind Waker was.

Sunshine wouldn't be playable on the Gamepad, because the controls require analogue shoulder buttons, which the Gamecube pad has, but the Wii U Gamepad does not. Same is true for many other Gamecube games.

They could do it, but require use of a Gamecube controller and the adapter they made for Smash Bros, but that would be a bit messy.

You can play Gamecube games on a Wii U via homebrew though. Maybe look into that.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:16 
Participant in dramatic games

Well i still have a cube .. let's see if i can find it cheapish

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 22:26 
Bad Girl

Love Beep Block Skyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 22:21 
Bad Girl

82 levels complete.

211 Stars collected and a load of stamps and shit.

The Beep Block level hasn't turned up again. A-maze. But it should. It should have at least 5 levels of increasing difficulty, says I.

Also, I thought I'd finished the game after World 6. Then Bowser shows up and has anothe world. So I smash his face in and he nicks all the fairies again. Then there's another world. How many bloody world's are there!?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 23:11 
Bad Girl

I reckon this has some of the hardest courses since those bloody rotating blocks from Mario Sunshine. It's telling I've gone from 48 lives at one point to, um, 8. Grumblump Inferno just took a shit load off me with the bloody rotating block course.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 23:18 
Bad Girl

It's got some of the worst boss fights though. They've repeated the same 5-odd fights time and time again. How did no one not notice how crap they were?!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 23:28 
Bad Girl

Oh, I've finished it. I thought there was going to be more.

And the last fight "was" kinda epic. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 21:22 
Bad Girl

Dear Mario,

I have just played Rainbow Run.

I shall be grateful if you could kindly go fuck yourself.

With kind regards,

Ian

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 21:42 
Bad Girl

Well the difficulty just ramped up for the Mario Galaxy Worlds World.

Plus I'm a tiny bit attracted to the voice of Rosalind.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 22:57 
Bad Girl

So you finish the game and you're treated to a bonus world. THEN ANOTHER. I'm closing in on 300 stars. Man, that's a lot of game if you wanna go star hunting.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 23:46 
Bad Girl

Two levels left "Boss Rush" (I wonder what that ones going to be) and Blast Beat Skyway which returns the best level in the entire game and makes it so ultra difficult that I've been nashing my teeth as each life is chipped away.

THEN, I think it's finally all over. Funny really, cause after "The End" there's been 3 entire world's to fanny about it. At least you get value for money with Ninty games.

So I've got 306 stars, 7 lives left and 2 levels to complete. God knows how many stars there are in the game. I certainly feel like I've got them all but I think I must be missing, like, 15 odd or something. Maybe more.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 23:47 
Bad Girl

Oh fuck off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Keep looking.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 16:06 
Bad Girl

310 bitches. I've had enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 16:38 
Bad Girl

FINE 316. Enough is enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 16:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Only 64 to go!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 16:45 
Bad Girl

318. No, no, fuck this. Fuck this. Fuck. This.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 16:50 
Paws for thought

Two more until there are 60 remaining.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 18:44 
Bad Girl

Christ, I should be out with friends, girls, drinking, dancing, loving life.

*sigh*

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 21:25 
Unpossible!

It'd be easier if you held the DS the right way up

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]