Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars Battlefront
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:27 
Gogmagog

Pundabaya wrote:
Also, it's Star Wars. The biggest franchise on the planet, and one that's considered pretty kid friendly.

Order 66 disagrees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
The biggest franchise on the planet

I'm pretty sure that's 7-Eleven.

Unless you mean movie franchises! In which case it's the MCU. And then Harry Potter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 
Master of dodgy spelling....

MaliA wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
Also, it's Star Wars. The biggest franchise on the planet, and one that's considered pretty kid friendly.

Order 66 disagrees

Well played.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 
Sleepyhead

KovacsC wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Order 66 disagrees

Well played.

NOT THE YOUNGLINGS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 
Excellent Painter

EA appear to be recanting and have announced a ban on all real world purchases from the game. You can’t use money to buy upgrades.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Wow.

Rumblings that Disney might have got directly involved, and also that the Belgian government are investigating if the lootbox system should be classified and regulated as gambling.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 53f1551d64

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16/166 ... removed-ea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 
Excellent Member

Quote:
The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game.

Translation:

Quote:
The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after all this fucking whining has stopped and you've all bought the game anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fuck all the people that play games differently to whinging Reddit shits, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 

Bamba wrote:
Quote:
The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game.

Translation:

Quote:
The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after all this fucking whining has stopped and you've all bought the game anyway.

I always suspected that the games in the revival were easier.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:03 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Fuck all the people that play games differently to whinging Reddit shits, I guess.

I haven't seen anyone coming out in favour of the original system. I suppose that makes sense. Those that were happy, were playing the game :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:03 
Rude Belittler

Grim... wrote:

Buh? You want to be exploited?

Takes all sorts, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 
Bad Girl

I think this is absolutely brilliant. Consumer Power! It probably won’t change the system too much and predatory loot boxes alwill return in some form but other publishers will take note of this shit show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

There isn't en eye-rolling smiley big enough for this pish.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 

Grim... wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:37 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
I think this is absolutely brilliant. Consumer Power! It probably won’t change the system too much and predatory loot boxes alwill return in some form but other publishers will take note of this shit show.

The problem is almost everyone i know play shitty predatory games, and they don't care. They don't care about indie gaming or anything more pure. They'd rather play FIFA ultimate team or those horrible Star Wars and Marvel mobile games. These systems with lootboxes and grinding are made to be addictive and they work. Unless some there's some law stomping on these practices, it won't change any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:41 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

That’s so perfect in the way he points up towards the quoted text.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:42 

That should be made as a single click insert on all forums. And Twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 13:14 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/ ... nope-nope/

Wow, Ars gave it an absolutely shoeing. And not just about the economy stuff either.

Quote:
One example: at every respawn, players land on the map in a group of four, but BFII does a poor job communicating how those squads could or should work together beyond "fight together for more battle points." (Battle points (BP) build up throughout a given match and are spent solely within combat to temporarily access higher-level characters and vehicles.)

For instance, should squadmates defend or buff each other in specific ways? The few powers that dole out valuable assists—like shields and "leadership" shouts—give zero rewards. It's also unclear during combat when those "doubled" bonuses actually accrue. And unlike Battlefield, BFII fighters can't have a leader "point" to a particular objective or zone and receive bonuses or boosts for focusing on it. The result: you quickly feel like a lone wolf out there, and the class-specific trappings lose importance.

Without those organic nudges, the online game, in practice, melts down to murder-hallways. This is, in part, because of some ho-hum level designs that encourage boring, non-strategic play, but also because players rack up more BPs when they put bullets into their foes. BPs drive your ability to temporarily climb into an X-wing, a TIE fighter, a walker, or the shoes of a legendary Star Wars character like Chewbacca, Yoda, Darth Maul, or Emperor Palpatine. Everybody wants to do that!

When players hop into a flying craft, either during specific BP-fueled moments on Galactic Assault maps or during the dedicated, ships-only Starfighter Assault mode, the feeling at first is nothing but awesome. DICE's Frostbite engine does a wonder with richly detailed spaceships, ridiculous draw distances, and probably-not-scientifically-accurate lighting effects.

The mode rarely surpasses that first-blush wonder, however, with incredibly mild control and attack options for each ship. These just aren't satisfying dogfights beyond basic, solid arcade-level thrills. Evasive maneuvers like loop-de-loops are practically impossible, and your best hope is to unlock the correct evasion-minded Star Cards through the course of gameplay. Meanwhile, when you board a flying craft during Galactic Assault battles, the results are weird. You don't get any special flight-specific objectives while you're up there, and many of the ships have nothing in the way of ground-specific attacks or perks to help with the objectives on the ground. You're mostly up there trying to awkwardly hit ground targets (with no radar system to help) and trading fire with enemies who made the same foolish BP purchase as you.

The speed at which cards are doled out in the course of standard gameplay is agonizingly slow. You'll need to play 7-9 matches to earn enough of BFII's "credits" currency to afford the most expensive, 4,000-credit loot boxes, which then contain a mix of unique Star Cards, credits, and crafting parts. (I break down the game's pukey soup of currencies and other economical issues here, but we're already in bad-news territory when I have to direct you to a freaking glossary to understand what's going on.)

This sucks from a sheer gameplay perspective, in which you can expect a higher-card player to do things like regenerate health faster and have wider grenade radii. But it also sucks from a "welcome to BFII" perspective because average battles play out like an advertisement for the game you wish you were playing. As I've previously said, good multiplayer shooters with progression systems are at least kind enough to set new players somewhere near their mathematical maximum. You eventually unlock alternate styles and options, which typically keep the game fresh. But, in practice, BFII taunts players with a severe gap between "one tier, one card" and "three near-max cards" players.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 13:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Not everyone has the time to grind their way through a game. There's nothing new about the loot system in BFII, babies are just crying because it's Star Wars (and EA, to an extent). Now they think they're fucking crusaders or something, when in reality nothing - nothing - is going to change.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 13:52 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Not everyone has the time to grind their way through a game. There's nothing new about the loot system in BFII, babies are just crying because it's Star Wars (and EA, to an extent). Now they think they're fucking crusaders or something, when in reality nothing - nothing - is going to change.

I'd rather prefer for there to be no grind at all. Level multiplayer battle field, and that. (AFAIK, current multiplayer darling Pubg has no such game play unlocks, only outfits. This is a better system)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 13:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I'd rather prefer for there to be no grind at all. Level multiplayer battle field, and that. (AFAIK, current multiplayer darling Pubg has no such game play unlocks, only outfits. This is a better system)

Hence my love for Counter-Strike :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Whiney fucking cunts killing video games. Jeeeeeesus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:23 
Paws for thought

MrChris wrote:

The moment you start offering people the choice to spend money in order to not play your game is the moment you need to take a long look at your games design.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:26 

MrChris wrote:

It's OK, they said the graphics are great so it's still a good game for incredibly shallow Star Wars fanboys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:31 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MrChris wrote:

It's OK, they said the graphics are great so it's still a good game for incredibly shallow Star Wars fanboys.

Well that's a relief then. You had me worried for a moment.

In all seriousness, ill be picking this up because after playing the beta First Born is desperate for this. And for a ten year old this bollocks doesn't matter. He'll love the single player (the first he'll ever have played) and the offline skirmish, and, because he's ten, he'll already have a built in three star cards advantage in multiplayer because at that age they're fucking twitch ninjas.

That said, ill be telling him release date got put back....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 14:43 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Lol. If you're read all the chat about this both here and elsewhere and this is genuinely what you think then fine; nothing's going to convince you anyway. And if you're just trolling then I lose nothing by not engaging. Either way:

:shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm not trolling, Gaywood just wanted to use that gif.

I'm probably never going to play the game, but I don't get the sense of entitlement of the people crying about the way it works - especially if they weren't intending to buy it anyway (and I guaran-damn-tee that a fucking huge proportion of the people mouthing off about it already own a copy).

EA said for ages this is how it was going to work. It's how it worked in the beta (with different numbers, but that makes sense). People that buy it don't somehow deserve anything more than what they're sold, unless what they're sold is broken.

In the case of something like [space game that I forget the name of] where the publishers promised one thing and released entirely another, I get the anger there. And I'm not saying loot boxes are a good idea - I don't hate them, but I hope they end up in every game either.

But if you think that the uproar is "for the good of the little man who can't help but spend all their money gambling on digital boxes" you're horrifically naive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:07 
INFINITE POWAH

No Mans Sky is the one you're looking for there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's the fucker!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:08 
INFINITE POWAH

And it ended up great!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:12 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
And I'm not saying loot boxes are a good idea - I don't hate them, but I hope they end up in every game either.

If they're implemented well, then I don't actually see the harm, but by 'well', I mean entirely optional and the stuff in the boxes doesn't give you an advantage against other players. For instance, I did grumble about the crap I got from the Rocket League boxes, but even the best stuff in them are just other car variants. All of the loot box stuff just makes your car look/sound different and provide no advantage. No idea if that's the case with the BF stuff, but it wasn't a game I was going to buy anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
And I'm not saying loot boxes are a good idea - I don't hate them, but I hope they end up in every game either.

[...]the stuff in the boxes doesn't give you an advantage against other players.

Why not?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:29 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

[...]the stuff in the boxes doesn't give you an advantage against other players.

Why not?

Because anyone buying a game later than everyone else and playing online is already going to be at a disadvantage skill-wise. Them having better stuff makes that gap even wider.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:36 
SavyGamer

Mimi wrote:
That’s so perfect in the way he points up towards the quoted text.

My theory is that it's deliberate on behalf of the filmmakers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:38 
INFINITE POWAH

The text is at the bottom of the gif....?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:43 
Prince of Fops

LewieP wrote:

Presumably you mean the creator of the gif and not George Miller?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MrChris wrote:

The quoted text. That which the gif is in reply to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Cras wrote:
MrChris wrote:

The quoted text. That which the gif is in reply to.

Oh. Hmmm.

Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
But if you think that the uproar is "for the good of the little man who can't help but spend all their money gambling on digital boxes" you're horrifically naive.

No, it's not. It's for the good of all game consumers who're sick of this kind of pish and would really like it to not get any worse. The fact that there's a subset of the population who could be massively financially impacted by this psychologically tuned-to-perfection horseshit is just the worst aspect of it all.

Frankly I don't understand your position in the slightest and it comes across like you're either just being contrary for the sake of it or because you actually bought the stupid thing and feel some need to defend that. The design of the game is shitty and greedy and is the sharp end of a horrible wedge that's been evolving for a while now; ergo people are complaining. People feel 'entitled' to be annoyed by it because they fucking are entitled! Either by dint of wanting to actually play a game that isn't trying to fuck them in the wallet while they do or because they would like to purchase other entertainment in the same medium that will not also try to fuck them in the wallet because it's been normalised here. This isn't like people demanding an easy mode be added to Dark Souls or whatever, this is people wanting to spend £50 on a game (or even £70 if they're a lunatic) and be safe in the knowledge that they won't then have to constantly battle systems designed to make them want to spend even more money on top of that.

SavyGamer

Findus Fop wrote:
LewieP wrote:

No I mean the filmmakers. I don't think the creator of the gif had any say in framing the shot or directing Tom Hardy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:58 
Prince of Fops

LewieP wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
LewieP wrote:

No I mean the filmmakers. I don't think the creator of the gif had any say in framing the shot or directing Tom Hardy.

If film makers are starting to building meme-worthy stuff into their films, then they're making films wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Why not?

Because anyone buying a game later than everyone else and playing online is already going to be at a disadvantage skill-wise. Them having better stuff makes that gap even wider.

That's not loot-crate specific, though. What about games that give you stuff as you level up?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:14 
UltraMod

Grim… is Ronnie Wrongman from Rongton, Illinois. Bamba is Dwight Wright from Rightsville, Tennessee.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:17 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Why not?

That's not loot-crate specific, though. What about games that give you stuff as you level up?

True, but then I wouldn't play a game like that either, unless it was co-op (Diablo II springs to mind as one that I've played, but WoW I guess too) rather than PvP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Frankly I don't understand your position in the slightest

Really? Have you actually given it any thought, or are you in too much of a hurry to get to the keyboard?

Bamba wrote:
and it comes across like you're either just being contrary for the sake of it or because you actually bought the stupid thing and feel some need to defend that.

If it helps, it's really, really good ;)

Bamba wrote:
People feel 'entitled' to be annoyed by it because they fucking are entitled! Either by dint of wanting to actually play a game that isn't trying to fuck them in the wallet while they do or because they would like to purchase other entertainment in the same medium that will not also try to fuck them in the wallet because it's been normalised here.

They're entitled to shit all. All they have to do is not fucking buy it! There's no better way to make a point to the publisher than to not spend money on the fucking thing. There are umpteen other games to play that don't want your money, and if they sell loads more copies than games with MTX in then MTX will go away really, really quickly.

Bamba wrote:
(or even £70 if they're a lunatic)

Wow, clever.

Bamba wrote:
this is people wanting to spend £50 on a game and be safe in the knowledge that they won't then have to constantly battle systems designed to make them want to spend even more money on top of that.

So. Play. A. Different. Game.

I could see people being angry if they bought the game and then suddenly it was changed to something else, that's a shitty thing to do. And, wouldn't you know it - that's exactly what they've caused to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim… is Ronnie Wrongman from Rongton, Illinois. Bamba is Dwight Wright from Rightsville, Tennessee.

I own a copy of the game. I am a game owner. I am the victim of this game's mechanics. By Myptical law, my opinion is of greater value than anyone else's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:21 
SavyGamer

Grim... I think your position is that you want to have the option of skipping grind by paying money.

But how is that preferable to being able to skip grind without paying money. That way everyone can skip grind, regardless of their disposable income.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

LewieP wrote:
Grim... I think your position is that you want to have the option of skipping grind by paying money.

But how is that preferable to being able to skip grind without paying money. That way everyone can skip grind, regardless of their disposable income.

The only way that works is if you never have an unlock system. Because otherwise you make people either sink time or money into unlocks, and time and money are both equally available or unavailable to different people.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:31 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

I own a copy of the game. I am a game owner. I am the victim of this game's mechanics. By Myptical law, my opinion is of greater value than anyone else's.

Sad troll is sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Sad troll is sad

Fuck off, that was hilarious!

Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next